Connecticut 2022

HS Boys Lacrosse
jmct

Re: Connecticut 2022

Post by jmct »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm The FCIAC tournament field is set. The semi finals are setting for a great rematch of a healthy Ridgefield vs Darien. The game is at noon at Darien High School. Of course, Ridgefield needs to get by Greenwich to play Darien. That could also be a good game.
The noon game you refer to at Darien is the quarter-final game: Darien vs Ludlowe. The semi-finals are Tuesday at 5 PM and 7:30 PM at McMahon.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

A bit of topic with playoffs here but as a Madison resident, pretty cool to see Hand’s Tommy Swank put in 5 goals yesterday in Tufts win over Salisbury in D3’s marquee heavyweight battle. He has always had an absolute cannon.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm The FCIAC tournament field is set. The semi finals are setting for a great rematch of a healthy Ridgefield vs Darien. The game is at noon at Darien High School. Of course, Ridgefield needs to get by Greenwich to play Darien. That could also be a good game.
Nyet!! Greenwich takes out Ridgefield. If the Tigers are to get another shot at the Wave it will have to be in the L tourney.
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:33 pm
Nyet!! Greenwich takes out Ridgefield. If the Tigers are to get another shot at the Wave it will have to be in the L tourney.
Great win for Greenwich!!

Semi finals tomorrow night (Tuesday, May 24) at Brien McMahon
Wilton v Staples - 5pm
Darien v Greenwich - 7:30pm
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Disappointing loss for Ridgefield, really feels like they let one slip away. Luckily for them they still have a chance of making a states run. Congrats to Greenwich.

Darien vs Greenwich - Darien should come out a lot more focused than their last game against the cards. Greenwich seems to be peaking at the right moment but Darien should win this one comfortably. Playing a team multiple times in a year tends to benefit the team that lost the initial matchup but I think in this instance the near loss may inspire Darien to play with more intensity this time around. 15-6 Darien

Wilton vs Staples - This game should be the most competitive of the bunch. One thing I noticed from Wiltons game against NC was that Grant Masterson was dressed for the game but did not play a single minute. I know the word from earlier in the season was that he will hopefully be back for playoffs. Seems likely that Wilton was resting him for Staples and may have used him if they found themselves behind in the 2nd half. One thing I'll be interested to see for this game is faceoffs. Staples seemed to dominate faceoffs early in their 1st game with Wilton. But Wilton was able to make it respectable after they began to use defenseman Jake Sommer instead, and shortly thereafter the score became more competitive. It'll be interesting to see what Wilton does from the get go this time. I think if Wilton is able to keep faceoffs above a 40% win rate, and has a full strength Masterson they should come out with a close win. 11-9 Wilton
Blue White

Post by Blue White »

Too many ifs for Wilton, plus Staples is playing for history and redemption both of which are powerful motivators. Reminds me of Darien back in the day when they kept knocking before breaking through against NC/Wilton. 12-5 Staples

Can't discount Greenwich either given the coach's intimate knowledge of Darien, but thinking same result with 11-6 Darien
random observer

Post by random observer »

I think both games will be close.

Wilton quietly put together one of its best regular seasons in well over a decade. No-show against Chaminade aside, they've looked good in every game despite losing their best player. Pearsall has done a terrific job. Staples a slight favorite because of their depth of scoring and edge at the X, but I think this will be a tense low-scoring affair. The goalie battle should be interesting; Lenskold is the best in the FCIAC, but Staples now has a highly touted freshman in net who has delivered the goods so far.

Greenwich has a long history of being a thorn in Darien's side, both before and after former Darien defensive coordinators started taking the helm. The 2008 Greenwich team led by Benincasa denied Darien a mythical national championship. The 2015 team was the last team to beat the Wave before their record win streak. And in 2016 and 2017, two relatively down Greenwich squads were the closest teams to beating the two best Darien teams ever (2016 Greenwich lost in OT after letting a late 3 goal lead slip away, and 2017 Greenwich was the only team to lead Darien in the 4th quarter all season). All this is to say that the game a week ago was no fluke; I expect the zone to slow down Darien's offense, and if the FOGO and Goalie can replicate their performances this will definitely be another competitive game.
Blue White

Post by Blue White »

Spot on sir, looking forward to your take on Thursday's game
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Bracket FUBAR again this year. Class M's turn (where somehow Wilton got moved).

Best teams - Wilton, Cheshire, Hand, Barlow and St Joes all on one side of the bracket - Joes and Hand look to meet in the quarters

East Catholic has a ticket to the semis and likely finals on the other side
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Kismet wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:03 pm Bracket FUBAR again this year. Class M's turn (where somehow Wilton got moved).

Best teams - Wilton, Cheshire, Hand, Barlow and St Joes all on one side of the bracket - Joes and Hand look to meet in the quarters

Where are you seeing the brackets? I don’t see them on ciac yet.
Thanks!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

RumorMill wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:24 pm
Kismet wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:03 pm Bracket FUBAR again this year. Class M's turn (where somehow Wilton got moved).

Where are you seeing the brackets? I don’t see them on ciac yet.
Thanks!
You can take the current rankings on CIAC website and do a bracket. At this point in the season (there is only one game to play), its pretty close to what it is going to be except perhaps some minor changes in Tiebreaker points

On this page at CIAC are links to current rankings for all three classes

http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=938

Take your pick

Brackets are out
http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=938
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Haddam-Killingworth
16 - 4
vs.
Weston
17 - 4
4:00p

Ridgefield
15 - 4
vs.
Staples
17 - 3
5:00p

Northwest Catholic
16 - 4
vs.
Canton
14 - 4

Notre Dame West Haven
14 - 6
vs.
East Catholic
15 - 3

Wilton
17 - 4
vs.
Cheshire HS
17 - 3
7:30p

Fairfield Prep
15 - 4
vs.
Darien
19 - 2
7:30p
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Shocking halftime score in L!! Is anyone watching this? What is happening???
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

In all of the 30+ years I have been associated with CT HS Lacrosse, I have NEVER seen Darien take a beating like this.

Total and complete domination. Incredibly looking at possibility of running time to finish the game. Would be the 3rd of 3 championship games finishing that way today.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Darien never played a complete 4 quarters all year. Bad time to lay a complete egg, but they were second best in every facet. There were some shades of the Ridgefield game in 2018 with Staples running stall for most of the game. The difference this time being that it came after Staples had already dominated and built a massive lead. Regardless I feel like administrators need to find a way to bring the shot clock to the high school game because this was near unwatchable for most of the last three quarters. Congrats to the Wreckers; this program has been building to this, and one gets the feeling that whilst they may not be as good as this year in the next couple, the program is here to stay. It's gotta feel particular good given the manner in which they lost the FCIAC final last year.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”