Roster Limits for lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: Roster Limits for lacrosse

Post by smoova »

10 10 2 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:59 pm Roster limits would help the MCLA club squads a lot more than the less competitive D1 teams.
Until Hobart makes its first final four ...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If I thought that would work I’d be outside the offices in Indianapolis with a sign daily but instead with respect to this perceived injustice…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcVlW9F3JE
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:47 pm ftr, the guy that started the thread was talking about "heads in beds" schools infringing on the integrity of the game.
for them to go where elsewhere, i'm not sure.
The "game" is fine.....the "experience"........maybe not so much.

Better to focus on the coach to player ratio.......why the limit on coaches , n$aa??????????

Football, compared to lacrosse, is a skill-less sport. Yet, we have a "linebacker" or "safey's " coach? Amazing......1 to one ratio, for college football.

One coach, per player on the field, for football......strike THAT.....how about 4 to 5 "coaches" per player on the field.

Football still puts only 11 players on the field....and yet....a sea of whistles, clipboards and glass pads. Great results, with all the support. Go Terps football. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://umterps.com/sports/football/ros ... er-coaches

versus

https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... er-coaches
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Some schools in D1 are limited by their own administration, one in particular I know has a hard 42 man cap. This makes it tough, they typically have 3 goalies and 2 fogos, and a few key injuries can devastate them. The right number to me is probably 48.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

I realize this is a D1 thread but the question of roster limits was about D1, 2, and 3. D1 has a better grasp on their roster size then the other 2. Thank you to all who posted.
Are there any opinions on roster size for D2 and D3? I posted this in D1 thread to get more eyes on the topic.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

D1 and D2 have scholarships, almost all partial. D3 has no scholarships so all athletes pay whatever they qualify for under traditional financial aid. Most D3 schools depend on athletes to fill the seats. I know a small struggling D3 school that has 400 students brought in 100 freshmen and 75 of them are athletes. I believe without athletics this particular school goes under. Other D3 programs with 60 plus on rosters clearly use it to fill classrooms. It's good for job security if you are a coach with 60 tuition-paying kids that wouldn't be there without lacrosse. Top academic and popular D3 schools would be fine without sports but small struggling ones really depend on that tuition.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 am D1 and D2 have scholarships, almost all partial. D3 has no scholarships so all athletes pay whatever they qualify for under traditional financial aid. Most D3 schools depend on athletes to fill the seats. I know a small struggling D3 school that has 400 students brought in 100 freshmen and 75 of them are athletes. I believe without athletics this particular school goes under. Other D3 programs with 60 plus on rosters clearly use it to fill classrooms. It's good for job security if you are a coach with 60 tuition-paying kids that wouldn't be there without lacrosse. Top academic and popular D3 schools would be fine without sports but small struggling ones really depend on that tuition.
This is it. Look at Wesley or Mt Ida to see the model.

Mt Union - 2,200 students, $135MM endowment (almost entirely driven by football)

Mt Union football roster - 180, about 9% of total student body for one sport

https://athletics.mountunion.edu/sports/football/roster
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 am D1 and D2 have scholarships, almost all partial. D3 has no scholarships so all athletes pay whatever they qualify for under traditional financial aid. Most D3 schools depend on athletes to fill the seats. I know a small struggling D3 school that has 400 students brought in 100 freshmen and 75 of them are athletes. I believe without athletics this particular school goes under. Other D3 programs with 60 plus on rosters clearly use it to fill classrooms. It's good for job security if you are a coach with 60 tuition-paying kids that wouldn't be there without lacrosse. Top academic and popular D3 schools would be fine without sports but small struggling ones really depend on that tuition.

Mt Union - 2,200 students, $135MM endowment (almost entirely driven by football)

Mt. Ida closed down. I believe it is BC campus now.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:48 am

Mt. Ida closed down. I believe it is BC campus now.
As did Wesley that’s why I referenced them. Believe it’s part of UNass Dartmouth.

And of course this is all ignoring the growing disparity and increasing decline of male enrollment throughout the NE currently and projected as it relates to title ID proportionality needs

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”