Princeton University - 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
notentitled

Re: Princeton University - 2022

Post by notentitled »

Tend to think that lawyers are making decisions.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

notentitled wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:45 am Tend to think that lawyers are making decisions.
Yep. Those Ivy League lawyers are different.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

What even is the outrage? If students want to get back to campus so badly to be with their friends and have the normal college experience then who cares if they're asked not to leave the county for a couple of weeks right at the beginning of the semester? Don't they all want to stay? Wasn't that the whole point? This strikes me as something that anonymous lacrosse posters with no actual ties to the school care about a lot more than the actual students. Anyway, the policy is more of a deterrent and less something designed to dole out punishments. Doesn't seem particularly enforceable. If a kid really wants to leave, he'll leave.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:10 am What even is the outrage? If students want to get back to campus so badly to be with their friends and have the normal college experience then who cares if they're asked not to leave the county for a couple of weeks right at the beginning of the semester? Don't they all want to stay? Wasn't that the whole point? This strikes me as something that anonymous lacrosse posters with no actual ties to the school care about a lot more than the actual students. Anyway, the policy is more of a deterrent and less something designed to dole out punishments. Doesn't seem particularly enforceable. If a kid really wants to leave, he'll leave.
There really isn’t much normal travel for students outside of those two counties unless they want to go to Philly or NYC to party. It’s a non issue for most students.
“I wish you would!”
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:10 am What even is the outrage? If students want to get back to campus so badly to be with their friends and have the normal college experience then who cares if they're asked not to leave the county for a couple of weeks right at the beginning of the semester? Don't they all want to stay? Wasn't that the whole point? This strikes me as something that anonymous lacrosse posters with no actual ties to the school care about a lot more than the actual students. Anyway, the policy is more of a deterrent and less something designed to dole out punishments. Doesn't seem particularly enforceable. If a kid really wants to leave, he'll leave.
If the above is true, what is the point, other than to act like we are doing "something"?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Jldlax wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:40 am
If the above is true, what is the point, other than to act like we are doing "something"?
Liability.
notentitled wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:45 am Tend to think that lawyers are making decisions.
+1
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lawyers are not making the decisions. The decisions are being made by ADs, Presidents and likely some portion of the Board. Physicians, attorneys will have input at one level or another but the actual decision will be made by the administration or the Board or some combination. There are many inputs info the decision making process. Certainly the effects on students are part of it
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:48 pm Lawyers are not making the decisions. The decisions are being made by ADs, Presidents and likely some portion of the Board. Physicians, attorneys will have input at one level or another but the actual decision will be made by the administration or the Board or some combination.
Well sure.....the bosses are making the actual call. But putting in unenforceable rules that are clearly there, in large part, for liability protection? Lawyers. And you know lawyers in are involved in every major decision, OCanada.....I think that's what notentitled means.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Liability is clearly a large factor in deciding actions in a health crisis. Lawyer together with medical experts should advise on the risks to the institution created by the situation snd the various options available. I get your point of how significant that advice may be
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Interesting info re: Princeton:

Princeton's latest COVID policy -- twice-weekly asymptomatic testing, mandatory "boosters," banning gatherings that include food, instructing students to "stay in their rooms as much as possible" -- is set by a person who previously ran the Gender and Sexuality Studies program

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1475685024653578247
Typical Lax Dad

Jldlax wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm Interesting info re: Princeton:

Princeton's latest COVID policy -- twice-weekly asymptomatic testing, mandatory "boosters," banning gatherings that include food, instructing students to "stay in their rooms as much as possible" -- is set by a person who previously ran the Gender and Sexuality Studies program

Why would you ever send your kid there?
“I wish you would!”
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:10 pm
Jldlax wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm Interesting info re: Princeton:

Why would you ever send your kid there?
Good question.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

sanelaxparent wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:18 am I took a break from the Ivy League forums because there are a handful of posters who think they 'own' the conversation here and, when challenged, they question other posters' bona fides. I dont think you need to have attended an IL University or have a child there to venture an opinion on how that conference has handled its business over the past 2 years. Outside of the ivory tower of academia, plenty of normal people all over this country are looking at the 180 degree turns/hypocrisy/doublespeak of those in charge of making and implementing health policy and saying ENOUGH OF THIS BS. The IL couldn't make spring sports happen last year, but Stanford, Duke and Northwestern did, and that is worth a criticial conversation.
+1000

And for some poster to say that this “is no hardship” - I’m so happy it isn’t a hardship for you or your older kids (it hasn’t been for mine either) but it has been a hardship for millions of other young people. Suicide/suicide attempt rates for young people, particularly girls, increased significantly over the last two years due to misguided mitigation measures that did little to stop Covid but much to create horrific collateral damage, particularly among young people.

We need to stop calling people soft, start having a lot more empathy for our young people, and most of all allow them to live freely and enjoy their college years.
smoova

Post by smoova »

If schools do move to "remote learning" for a material portion of the spring semester, it will be interesting to see what steps administrations take to prevent the inevitable tidal wave of budget-wrecking gap-years.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:27 pm
sanelaxparent wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:18 am I took a break from the Ivy League forums because there are a handful of posters who think they 'own' the conversation here and, when challenged, they question other posters' bona fides. I dont think you need to have attended an IL University or have a child there to venture an opinion on how that conference has handled its business over the past 2 years. Outside of the ivory tower of academia, plenty of normal people all over this country are looking at the 180 degree turns/hypocrisy/doublespeak of those in charge of making and implementing health policy and saying ENOUGH OF THIS BS. The IL couldn't make spring sports happen last year, but Stanford, Duke and Northwestern did, and that is worth a criticial conversation.
+1000

And for some poster to say that this “is no hardship” - I’m so happy it isn’t a hardship for you or your older kids (it hasn’t been for mine either) but it has been a hardship for millions of other young people. Suicide/suicide attempt rates for young people, particularly girls, increased significantly over the last two years due to misguided mitigation measures that did little to stop Covid but much to create horrific collateral damage, particularly among young people.

We need to stop calling people soft, start having a lot more empathy for our young people, and most of all allow them to live freely and enjoy their college years.
This is a stupid line of discussion.

Mitigation efforts do work if the population follows instructions and the government leadership acts quickly and decisively. The South Korean government acted quickly and decisively, and the South Korean people fully cooperated with government mitigation efforts. The result? South Korea, with over 50 million people, has experienced just a bit over 5,000 deaths from Covid-19.

In contrast, Donald Trump lied about Covid-19, delayed action, and handled the pandemic incompetently and recklessly. Meanwhile, his idiot supporters refused to comply with masking and distancing requirements, whined and complained about mitigation efforts, and were moronic enough to believe lies about the supposed inefficacy of masks and the benefits of ivermectin and other bs being spewed by the right-wing MAGA imbeciles. The result … over 800,000 dead in a population of 330 million. If the U.S. had acted as smartly as South Korea, we would have experienced fewer than 40,000 deaths.

That’s 760,000 Americans who died unnecessarily because of the stupidity and idiocy of Donald Trump and the right wing … stupidity that we are continuing to see in our own forum.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
MGMRwd82

Post by MGMRwd82 »

Keep Trump out of it, he did get the vaccine out. Certainly, would not happen in any other administration.
This is for lacrosse, DOC.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MGMRwd82 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:14 pm Keep Trump out of it, he did get the vaccine out. Certainly, would not happen in any other administration.
This is for lacrosse, DOC.
Yeah, tell that to the 760,000 dead and the disseminators of Covid disinformation on this thread. Those of us who actually have Ivy ties were doing fine discussing lacrosse until these interlopers started raising a fuss about the purportedly draconian mitigation measures instituted by Princeton and other universities. If you took a poll, I think most Ivy Leaguers on this thread think the Ivy League mitigation efforts are reasonable, albeit unfortunate.

@DocBarrister
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

CNN called, they want all their 2020 fake news story lines back!
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:56 pm
+1000

Mitigation efforts do work if the population follows instructions and the government leadership acts quickly and decisively. The South Korean government acted quickly and decisively, and the South Korean people fully cooperated with government mitigation efforts. The result? South Korea, with over 50 million people, has experienced just a bit over 5,000 deaths from Covid-19.

In contrast, Donald Trump lied about Covid-19, delayed action, and handled the pandemic incompetently and recklessly. Meanwhile, his idiot supporters refused to comply with masking and distancing requirements, whined and complained about mitigation efforts, and were moronic enough to believe lies about the supposed inefficacy of masks and the benefits of ivermectin and other bs being spewed by the right-wing MAGA imbeciles. The result … over 800,000 dead in a population of 330 million. If the U.S. had acted as smartly as South Korea, we would have experienced fewer than 40,000 deaths.

That’s 760,000 Americans who died unnecessarily because of the stupidity and idiocy of Donald Trump and the right wing … stupidity that we are continuing to see in our own forum.

Ohhhh, you must mean this South Korea - [https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-12-16/][/url]. The South Korea that is experiencing record cases and serious cases right now? The South Korea that is seeing "a persistent spike in breakthrough infections"? How about Denmark, would you rather talk about that?

Here we have a "doctor" who thinks we should continue to attempt to control a virus by locking down harder. After two years of lockdowns, vaccines and boosters that did precisely nothing to stop the virus - here or anywhere else - for any appreciable period of time, and caused tragic collateral damage, especially to young people.

Leave our young people alone, they are at no risk. Let them live their lives free of restrictions. Go have your political argument somewhere else.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:44 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:56 pm
+1000

Ohhhh, you must mean this South Korea - [https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 021-12-16/][/url]. The South Korea that is experiencing record cases and serious cases right now? The South Korea that is seeing "a persistent spike in breakthrough infections"? How about Denmark, would you rather talk about that?

Here we have a "doctor" who thinks we should continue to attempt to control a virus by locking down harder. After two years of lockdowns, vaccines and boosters that did precisely nothing to stop the virus - here or anywhere else - for any appreciable period of time, and caused tragic collateral damage, especially to young people.

Leave our young people alone, they are at no risk. Let them live their lives free of restrictions. Go have your political argument somewhere else.
Your misinformed statements (and I am being as polite as I can be) reflect why the United States has experienced more than 800,000 Covid-19 deaths (including the deaths of thousands of young people) while South Korea, which has not had to deal with such mass ignorance and stupidity, has had just over 5,000 deaths.

Keep your misinformation to yourself and let Princeton and other universities do what is necessary to protect their students and athletes.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”