As a Charlottesville resident, good.
The Orfling

Re: Virginia Lacrosse 2022

Post by The Orfling »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:05 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:38 am @washingtonpost
University of Virginia disenrolls unvaccinated students ahead of fall semester
As a Charlottesville resident, good.
If you read the articles, it is not as draconian as it sounds -- it is people who haven't turned in the vax record or asked for an exemption yet, and out of about 230 students affected only 50 were signed up for classes (meaning that the others might not have been planning to enroll already). People can fix the problem by sending in the vax record or having an exemption granted. This is akin to a "fix it" ticket for a broken taillight -- it shows you can't ignore the issue without consequences, but it is easy to cure.

(And I agree it is good to require and to follow up on the requirement.)
molo

Post by molo »

Go to see although I can see no reason to grant religious exemptions at a state university, no less one founded by someone who, his considerable shortcomings notwithstanding, was notably not religious.
molo

Post by molo »

Should read “good,” not “go.”
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:59 pm Go to see although I can see no reason to grant religious exemptions at a state university, no less one founded by someone who, his considerable shortcomings notwithstanding, was notably not religious.
Agree with you.........There is no guarantee, but the greater University community is statistically safer if everyone is vaccinated. If one's religious beliefs prevent taking the vaccine, why should others have to deal with the greater risk of transmission from the unvaccinated? Let them do school online instead. just my opinion.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

No Peele or Merle on the Fall Team roster which is worrisome for Short stick DMiddie depth………Hope they figure a way to return by Spring or that position becomes a team weakness……Sallade and a hopefully healthy Parker would be the only experience there.
molo

Post by molo »

Just read in today’s Sun that Punchy Peterson has died. He was about 10 years older than I am, probably class of 61. He and younger brother Dicky, also an AA middie a few years later, attended UVA games faithfully when the team played in or near Baltimore. Punchy was enough older that I never knew him, just knew who he was. Dicky was an assistant to George Mitchell at St. Paul’s for a while. I assume there will be more info in an obit. Today there was just the death notice.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:12 am Just read in today’s Sun that Punchy Peterson has died. He was about 10 years older than I am, probably class of 61. He and younger brother Dicky, also an AA middie a few years later, attended UVA games faithfully when the team played in or near Baltimore. Punchy was enough older that I never knew him, just knew who he was. Dicky was an assistant to George Mitchell at St. Paul’s for a while. I assume there will be more info in an obit. Today there was just the death notice.
ugh, Punchy was a very active wahoo alum and supporter of the program. Also of Mt. Washington Club as I recall.

I know his son Charlie through squash. Also a hoo, '86.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ba ... =199981974
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Anyone got any insight to the relatively slow start to 2023 recruiting? Expected a bit more coming off B2B championships. This class needs big offensive middies and two of the best are going to Duke. Georgetown has two top 10 recruits at this point and Hoos with zero. Weird.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxter wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:10 pm Anyone got any insight to the relatively slow start to 2023 recruiting? Expected a bit more coming off B2B championships. This class needs big offensive middies and two of the best are going to Duke. Georgetown has two top 10 recruits at this point and Hoos with zero. Weird.
they just picked up wills burt today. there's covid classes to work off.
i used to think they'd never beat duke but don't anymore. they have plenty of guys and their 22 class is neck and neck with 'cuse they'll be fine.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Well, things seem to be unchanged since the last post. Looks like the Hoos coaching staff needs to figure some things out. Whiffing on all non-legacy high profile recruits should not happen coming off of BTB championships. I’m sorry. I know UNC and Duke are the shiny pennies and everything (minus, you know, multiple championships in the last five years), but wow. :? Are the coach K cameos and Matty D hot sales takes that irresistible?
Last edited by Laxter on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Boy it’s haaard being noticed at UVA…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Laxter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am Well, things have gone from bad to worse since the last post. Looks like the Hoos coaching staff needs to figure some things out. Whiffing on all non-legacy high profile recruits should not happen coming off of BTB championships. I’m sorry. I know UNC and Duke are the shiny pennies and everything (minus, you know, multiple championships in the last five years), but wow. :? Are the coach K cameos and Matty D hot sales takes that irresistible?
Needless to say this is a point of conversation on the Sabre. The reasons why, in no particular order, according to the bloggers are

1. UVA is set for years. Recruits do not see playing time in the near future.
2. Who needs them?
3. 23 is not that good anyway.
4. Yes this is an issue.
5. UMD is off to a slow start too. Maybe this is a trend for finals teams.
6. Lars rejects the Lax Bro so UVA is at a recruiting disadvantage.
7. Changing landscape of recruiting: Is UVA keeping up?

In my opinion the UVA system looks for a certain type of player. That player may not be a 4 or 5 star rated player. Their "system" takes priority and they are willing to grow players through their process. They face challenges to maintain this approach and this may be a gross over simplification but each of the last two full years they got progressively better at each end of the field as the season went on. That I think is the most dangerous thing about UVA lax IMHO. So 23 being slow may be a concern but not as big of a concern as it might be elsewhere.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 am
Laxter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:11 am Well, things have gone from bad to worse since the last post. Looks like the Hoos coaching staff needs to figure some things out. Whiffing on all non-legacy high profile recruits should not happen coming off of BTB championships. I’m sorry. I know UNC and Duke are the shiny pennies and everything (minus, you know, multiple championships in the last five years), but wow. :? Are the coach K cameos and Matty D hot sales takes that irresistible?
Needless to say this is a point of conversation on the Sabre. The reasons why, in no particular order, according to the bloggers are

1. UVA is set for years. Recruits do not see playing time in the near future.
2. Who needs them?
3. 23 is not that good anyway.
4. Yes this is an issue.
5. UMD is off to a slow start too. Maybe this is a trend for finals teams.
6. Lars rejects the Lax Bro so UVA is at a recruiting disadvantage.
7. Changing landscape of recruiting: Is UVA keeping up?

In my opinion the UVA system looks for a certain type of player. That player may not be a 4 or 5 star rated player. Their "system" takes priority and they are willing to grow players through their process. They face challenges to maintain this approach and this may be a gross over simplification but each of the last two full years they got progressively better at each end of the field as the season went on. That I think is the most dangerous thing about UVA lax IMHO. So 23 being slow may be a concern but not as big of a concern as it might be elsewhere.
Very true. UVA got it humming without overloading

Duke gets alot of highly rated talent but some gets wasted, same with UNC . UVA has their blueprint, smaller roster than isn't as littered with five stars as everyone thinks. For every Shellenberger or Moore there are several who were on outside the top fifty. LaSalla, Laviano, Kology, Garno, Castner to name a few. All the top ten teams go after the top twenty five so not always get what you want but field of talent has expanded and their coach obviously filters , selects and develops well.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

While Laviano may not have been an IL 5 star recruit, he was hardly unknown. A HS AA out of Cold Spring Harbor HS (where I played)on LI usually is a decent indicator the young man can play
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:43 pm While Laviano may not have been an IL 5 star recruit, he was hardly unknown. A HS AA out of Cold Spring Harbor HS (where I played)on LI usually is a decent indicator the young man can play
Similarly, Garno played in the UAAA game which means he was a top 50 recruit. UVA is recruiting just fine. I think this is less about a "system" and more about getting talented players and helping them develop. If their character is a priority for the coaching staff, then that makes a lot of sense.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 am
Needless to say this is a point of conversation on the Sabre.
The reasons why, in no particular order, according to the bloggers are …

Why subject oneself to that level of pain ?
bananas

Post by bananas »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:59 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:43 pm While Laviano may not have been an IL 5 star recruit, he was hardly unknown. A HS AA out of Cold Spring Harbor HS (where I played)on LI usually is a decent indicator the young man can play
Similarly, Garno played in the UAAA game which means he was a top 50 recruit. UVA is recruiting just fine. I think this is less about a "system" and more about getting talented players and helping them develop. If their character is a priority for the coaching staff, then that makes a lot of sense.
of course they were not unknown, the point being made was the uva players I cited who helped win two chips were not the shining objects/top 25 that everyone covets and laments about . Sky aint falling for uva when duke gets a few more

had me go look up IL power 100 rankings over the years to see if those cited were in that top fifty, oomylax was right on Garno being in top fifty- he was at #41 in his class but all others I cited were outside -- laviano was #53, castner #75, salade #82, lasalla #90, kollogy nr.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

bananas wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:41 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:59 pm
of course they were not unknown, the point being made was the uva players I cited who helped win two chips were not the shining objects/top 25 that everyone covets and laments about . Sky aint falling for uva when duke gets a few more

had me go look up IL power 100 rankings over the years to see if those cited were in that top fifty, oomylax was right on Garno being in top fifty- he was at #41 in his class but all others I cited were outside -- laviano was #53, castner #75, salade #82, lasalla #90, kollogy nr.
What are you talking about?

Shellenberger, Aitken, and Conrad we’re all #1 ranked recruits. Matt Moore was #4, Alex Rode was #10, Cormier was #24.
bananas

Post by bananas »

And ????? That is well known and has already stated .Read 'laxer" post on this page. Dip and Dunk has it right , uva is just fine today and tomorrow but
a continent of uva fans concerned about falling behind duke and others.
UVA 2021 class was good, anyone would want it . Their next few classes have 4 top kids and you know more will arrive.

Im pointing out how well they have done as well with recruits who were not even in top fifty. Top twenty recruits do matter but it's also how a coach puts the puzzle together in their approach as you well know.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”