A suggestion about trolling...

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Inside Lacrosse Top 50

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:06 pm Thanks for the feedback. I confess I can be condescending on occasion. But I am not bullying anyone. And "intimidating" is just a silly thing to say. I am only suggesting (and I confess, I strongly suspected or knew this would be the outcome) that you take heed of the several, perhaps many, posters who take you to task for the manner in which you engage people, the sometimes awkward things you post, and your -- ready? -- sort of childish insistence on having your way, irrespective of the expressions of distaste that your posts occasionally get. I think communities like this one are based less on a "Charter" than on a give and take of acceptable and accepted conduct. It's all fine; carry on.
You're speaking from your perspective. You cannot accurately assess or speak to how it feels to be on the receiving end of your comments. From my perspective, they are indeed bullying and intimidating--not to mention insulting. "childish insistence on having your way"? What's that except another nasty condescending remark. What do you intend by saying that? To welcome me? To encourage me? To appeal to me, even? Of course not. It's meant to intimidate. You're obviously trying to bully me into conforming to how you want me to conduct myself on this board. You don't like my style--I get that, and I've been getting that, for years now. That is not all fine. However--I'm not breaking any rules. If I am--you should flag my posts. But I would appreciate you ceasing and desisting from your subtle form of personal attacks against me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:15 pm You have your very own thread you created, ONW, stay in there as was your original intent and your sensitivities are far less likely to be challenged.
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, DMac--but I will continue to enjoy all the privileges of FanLax--wherever I may roam.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I am sure seacoaster speaks for many posters on this board. He is one of the most respected and most courteous posters here, but I suspect (though I don't speak for him) that ONW tries even his patience at times.

When the idea of ONW having his own thread was first suggested (don't recall who it was, but it wasn't ONW), it was in the midst of a discussion about whether ONW and his many other aliases should be banned from the women's board. Limiting his posting to one clearly identified thread was an idea that was proposed, on the one hand, to allow him to continue to post and, on the other, to enable posters to easily avoid his posts is they so chose.

ONW is correct that he never agreed he would limit his posting to his thread forever, but (I think) posters (hopefully) thought he had decided to do just that when that was the only place he posted for many months. But all good things come to an end. Now we have the worst of both worlds: posts on his thread and every other one. Ugh.

I am not in favor of banning ONW or limiting where he posts, but I think Dmac has an excellent idea that the ONW thread should be shut down if ONW is not willing to limit his posting to that thread. I see nothing in the CHARTER that says a poster is entitled to have his own thread or to prevent that thread from being locked.

As to his gifs, the comparison to Matt is off base. First, Matt is only an occasional poster on the women's board and an even less frequent poster of gifs. Second, his gifs aren't intended to insult, annoy, demean, or aggravate other posters as many of ONW's are.
OuttaNowhereWregget

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 pm I am sure seacoaster speaks for many posters on this board. He is one of the most respected and most courteous posters here, but I suspect (though I don't speak for him) that ONW tries even his patience at times.

When the idea of ONW having his own thread was first suggested (don't recall who it was, but it wasn't ONW), it was in the midst of a discussion about whether ONW and his many other aliases should be banned from the women's board. Limiting his posting to one clearly identified thread was an idea that was proposed, on the one hand, to allow him to continue to post and, on the other, to enable posters to easily avoid his posts is they so chose.
That is false, Bill. The idea for an exclusive thread came from hmmm regarding excessive posts, not multiple identities, which is clear if one reads down through a number of posts on page 1 here: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3711
njbill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 pm ONW is correct that he never agreed he would limit his posting to his thread forever, but (I think) posters (hopefully) thought he had decided to do just that when that was the only place he posted for many months. But all good things come to an end. Now we have the worst of both worlds: posts on his thread and every other one. Ugh.
A ridiculous and unsupported-by-fact exaggeration, Bill. Also--you are presuming to speak for all.
njbill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 pm I am not in favor of banning ONW or limiting where he posts, but I think Dmac has an excellent idea that the ONW thread should be shut down if ONW is not willing to limit his posting to that thread. I see nothing in the CHARTER that says a poster is entitled to have his own thread or to prevent that thread from being locked.
So essentially, you want censorship to become part of FanLax? And as a litigator, you will also note that said charter doesn't say anything that restricts a poster from starting a thread and calling it whatever they wish.
njbill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 pm As to his gifs, the comparison to Matt is off base. First, Matt is only an occasional poster on the women's board and an even less frequent poster of gifs. Second, his gifs aren't intended to insult, annoy, demean, or aggravate other posters as many of ONW's are.
This last bit is largely false--in addition to being presumptuous, exaggerated and rife with conjecture.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:50 pm I am sure seacoaster speaks for many posters on this board. He is one of the most respected and most courteous posters here, but I suspect (though I don't speak for him) that ONW tries even his patience at times.

ONW is correct that he never agreed he would limit his posting to his thread forever, but (I think) posters (hopefully) thought he had decided to do just that when that was the only place he posted for many months. But all good things come to an end. Now we have the worst of both worlds: posts on his thread and every other one. Ugh.

I am not in favor of banning ONW or limiting where he posts, but I think Dmac has an excellent idea that the ONW thread should be shut down if ONW is not willing to limit his posting to that thread. I see nothing in the CHARTER that says a poster is entitled to have his own thread or to prevent that thread from being locked.

As to his gifs, the comparison to Matt is off base. First, Matt is only an occasional poster on the women's board and an even less frequent poster of gifs. Second, his gifs aren't intended to insult, annoy, demean, or aggravate other posters as many of ONW's are.
I for one am sick of reading ONW's posts, they are rarely informative and are genuinely mean spirited quite often. The fact that he chased "TL" into oblivion is a discussion for another day. "TL" was a very entertaining guest !
OuttaNowhereWregget

Itsallgood wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:02 pm I for one am sick of reading ONW's posts, they are rarely informative and are genuinely mean spirited quite often. The fact that he chased "TL" into oblivion is a discussion for another day. "TL" was a very entertaining guest !
More conjecture...

That's a serious charge, Itsallgood. What evidence do you offer to support "The fact that I chased "TL" into oblivion"?

Also--which posts of mine are "mean spirited"? I would be interested to examine one. Maybe I'll see what you mean.

And this shouldn't need to be said but apparently your opening statement begs this response. If there is no compulsion to read my posts, why do you continue to read them--to the point of (and these are your words) being sick? I sincerely don't understand your logic.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

What's surprising to me is that ONW routinely implies that everyone complaining is in the minority and that many people enjoy his posts. It's a shame FanLax doesn't have the ability to post a poll and let people vote on if ONW should stick to his own thread. He spent the morning patting himself on the back because his thread had over 40k views. Obviously he enjoys stirring the pot.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ONW
The idea for an exclusive thread came from hmmm regarding excessive posts
Yes, and was agreed upon (excessive...and I would add annoying) and welcomed by you.
What happened there, excessive posts (again, I would add annoying) on your very own
thread isn't enough? Too easy for others to ignore you there?
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm What's surprising to me is that ONW routinely implies that everyone complaining is in the minority and that many people enjoy his posts.
Because I take this into account: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383922#p383922
and this: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383937#p383937
Matnum affirmed in another place that most of the views come from visitors/guests--not members. I think it's a fair assertion that the folks who have viewed my thread tens of thousands of times aren't doing it because they are looking for things to complain about.
hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm It's a shame FanLax doesn't have the ability to post a poll and let people vote on if ONW should stick to his own thread.
You yourself said you don't mind when I write something relevant under a topic and "don't see how anyone can complain".
hmmm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:24 am As the person that originally recommended the idea I concur with your take on this. At least for me, what bothered me was that you often posted anything that came to your head that had nothing to do with the thread topic. This made it difficult to tell if there was actually new information posted to a thread because I'd log on and you would be the last person that updated the top 7 or 8 threads on the forum. I don't have to agree with your takes but as long as they are on topic I don't see how anyone can complain. Just my 2 cents as the originator of the ONW Stream of Consciousness thread idea.
Please point out to me what I have written in this thread that was off topic. If you go back and read from the beginning, most of my posts have been responses to what others have written, and most of those were addressed to me directly or about me directly. So I'm supposed to not respond?
hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm He spent the morning patting himself on the back because his thread had over 40k views. Obviously he enjoys stirring the pot.
If you can't see the self deprecating humor in those posts about reaching another milestone on my own thread then I don't know what to tell you. And how does that "stir the pot" if it's on "my" thread?
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:24 pm
ONW
The idea for an exclusive thread came from hmmm regarding excessive posts
Yes, and was agreed upon (excessive...and I would add annoying) and welcomed by you.
What happened there, excessive posts (again, I would add annoying) on your very own
thread isn't enough? Too easy for others to ignore you there?
https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=418257#p418257
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:38 am Yes, I mentioned that your default to virtually any criticism of advice is that you "'get to do what you want within the "Charter.'" It's part of what makes you tedious. And I'm being kind.
Seacoaster, no personal attacks.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

admin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:37 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:38 am Yes, I mentioned that your default to virtually any criticism of advice is that you "'get to do what you want within the "Charter.'" It's part of what makes you tedious. And I'm being kind.
OK. But I gotta say, calling someone "tedious" is pretty mild stuff. It just means monotonous or tiresome. I do think his, umm, body of work suggests that I am correct.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:27 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm What's surprising to me is that ONW routinely implies that everyone complaining is in the minority and that many people enjoy his posts.
Because I take this into account: https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383922#p383922
Matnum affirmed in another place that most of the views come from visitors/guests--not members. I think it's a fair assertion that the folks who have viewed my thread tens of thousands of times aren't doing it because they are looking for things to complain about.
hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm It's a shame FanLax doesn't have the ability to post a poll and let people vote on if ONW should stick to his own thread.
You yourself said you don't mind when I write something relevant under a topic and "don't see how anyone can complain".
hmmm wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:24 am As the person that originally recommended the idea I concur with your take on this. At least for me, what bothered me was that you often posted anything that came to your head that had nothing to do with the thread topic. This made it difficult to tell if there was actually new information posted to a thread because I'd log on and you would be the last person that updated the top 7 or 8 threads on the forum. I don't have to agree with your takes but as long as they are on topic I don't see how anyone can complain. Just my 2 cents as the originator of the ONW Stream of Consciousness thread idea.
Please point out to me what I have written in this thread that was off topic. If you go back and read from the beginning, most of my posts have been responses to what others have written, and most of those were addressed to me directly or about me directly. So I'm supposed to not respond?
hmmm wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:04 pm He spent the morning patting himself on the back because his thread had over 40k views. Obviously he enjoys stirring the pot.
If you can't see the self deprecating humor in those posts about reaching another milestone on my own thread then I don't know what to tell you. And how does that "stir the pot" if it's on "my" thread?
Well considering this topic is "Inside Lacrosse Top 50" I don't think it really requires an explanation......
njbill

Post by njbill »

Sigh.

We’ve been down this road before. Many times, unfortunately.

Admin, no, that’s not a personal attack. There is a difference between an accurate observation, or even a mild criticism, and a personal attack.

Do you understand that ONW is using you as his own personal police force, to “get at” anyone who says anything he perceives as a “slight”? Indeed, he uses the reporting button, not only as a shield, but also as a sword, as he did with me recently, by reporting a post that wasn’t directed at him and had nothing to do with him.

But while we have your attention, how about locking ONW’s personal (40k :roll:) thread? The purpose of that thread was for him to post anything and everything he wanted on the implicit understanding that he would not post on the other threads. He did that for some months, but has now started posting again on the regular threads.

Or, how about if we let the regular posters on the women’s board decide by conducting a poll about whether to lock his personal thread?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:40 pm
OK. But I gotta say, calling someone "tedious" is pretty mild stuff. It just means monotonous or tiresome. I do think his, umm, body of work suggests that I am correct.
I got one of those "pretty mild stuff" pre spankin', stern talking to, notes from Admin awhile back too. Can't remember what it was but my reaction was, you can't be serious with this. The snitch phone can be pretty easily activated, I guess, and the significance of the call is oddly not recognized as insignificant by the receiver of said call. Charter rules, ya know.
"Tedious" is your typical gentlemanly self. You were indeed being kind.....guess that's why you just got a little spankin'. ;)
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

I admit to a small thrill when I log on and see unread posts in the Women's forum. My enthusiasm is significantly tempered when I see that the most recent posts on those threads are from a certain prolific poster. Maybe I'm in the minority.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wasn't tempered when there was a singular thread, easily avoidable, dedicated solely to the prolific poster?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

cltlax wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:23 pm I admit to a small thrill when I log on and see unread posts in the Women's forum. My enthusiasm is significantly tempered when I see that the most recent posts on those threads are from a certain prolific poster. Maybe I'm in the minority.
You’re not - you are definitely part of the majority
OuttaNowhereWregget

I would have been long gone from this particular thread were not so many comments directed to me and at me – whether directly by quoting me, thereby generating a red notification at the top of the webpage, or by addressing me directly on an unquoted post, or lastly, by referring to me indirectly. I felt compelled to respond to many of the charges, which in the end were mostly petty and largely based on conjecture. I posed the question “Was I supposed to not respond?” but got no answer.

On another note, as Matnum concluded a while back, it's not lost on me that many of you are not fond of me or what I contribute here. I don't know what to tell you. I have my perspectives and opinions as you all have yours. If I happen to be in the minority when it comes to the opinions I express, there's nothing I can do about that, nor would I want to. I tell it like I see it. I am not going to change who I am or what I perceive to please a vocal group of members.

Over the years I have come to conclude that the whole story isn’t fully told by those who are most active in writing their opinions on this WD1 board. Having received numerous affirmations and encouragements from other members--not only via private message, but openly out here on the boards, as well—I know that my contributions are appreciated. Therefore—I am and will continue to be adamant in my assertion that those who are critical of me do not speak for everyone. And further--I will not be bullied or intimidated. Or another way of putting it--I'm not going anywhere unless it is by my own choice.

In conclusion, I agree with ol' Abe. With malice toward none.... I don't dislike any of you who have come at me and/or insulted me. I dislike how you address me at times but I don't dislike any of you personally. I'd prefer to get along with everyone. A lot more enjoyable that way. But another undeniable conclusion one reaches in this life is an individual will never please everybody. And it is only a fool who keeps trying after having come to that realization.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:27 pm
What Matnum originally said about views was disproven and Matnum acknowledged it. It’s in the exact same thread not much further down..

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=383992#p383992

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”