Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:37 pm If a middie is going to be a 2 way player or and SSDM, the need to be big enough as well as strong enough to knock a dodging player off their line. We didn't have that in '21. Yes, a few guys were injured. Hope they come back healthy. If the team expects to win the NEC, they have to stand up to Bryant, SJU & LIU.
Sherman got off to a very slow start after strong 19-20 seasons. That didn’t help vs LIU early.

To your point though Hocheimer, Mitrow (5’8” but 180 which is very solid on him), Meite (5’10, 185 and reportedly fastest kid on team but needs more development- could be similar to a healthy Mark Darden), Sampson and Dickson are kids I wondered about at SSDM and honestly I have thought Simas should’ve been there after 2019 until he proved his shooting was more responsible and then could’ve been a great two way player. He hustled but we’re talking about 17g in 26 games on .167 career shooting % on 102 shots which is about 4/gm since day 1.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Mitrow has yet to see his full potential due to injuries. Hope he can stay healthy. Sampson has also been plagued with injuries, and I am not sure if he'll hold up over a whole season. Hochheimer did very well, IMO, when he's been out there.
In terms of size, I'd like to see if Bach has any defensive skills. If so, then he would be a perfect two way middie. He showed quickness and good decision-making last year. Early in the year he had some ball handling mistakes, but those disappeared and seem to have just be first year jitters. He reminds me a bit of Scott because he can absorb a hit and turn on the aggression. If it is true that Archer and Mott are back, and if and if Dattilas and Barthelme are both options as the third attack, then a midfield line with Mithrow, Bach, and Hurlihey might work
RE: SSDM, I've seen Meite run and he is fast as heck. But no clue about his ball-handling and gb skills.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:10 pm Mitrow has yet to see his full potential due to injuries. Hope he can stay healthy. Sampson has also been plagued with injuries, and I am not sure if he'll hold up over a whole season. Hochheimer did very well, IMO, when he's been out there.
In terms of size, I'd like to see if Bach has any defensive skills. If so, then he would be a perfect two way middie. He showed quickness and good decision-making last year. Early in the year he had some ball handling mistakes, but those disappeared and seem to have just be first year jitters. He reminds me a bit of Scott because he can absorb a hit and turn on the aggression. If it is true that Archer and Mott are back, and if and if Dattilas and Barthelme are both options as the third attack, then a midfield line with Mithrow, Bach, and Hurlihey might work
RE: SSDM, I've seen Meite run and he is fast as heck. But no clue about his ball-handling and gb skills.
Madonna? I expect Jack Grooms to be in the mid for the third attack spot possibly as well and Simas will get his run in sure
twistercity

Post by twistercity »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:10 pm Mitrow has yet to see his full potential due to injuries. Hope he can stay healthy. Sampson has also been plagued with injuries, and I am not sure if he'll hold up over a whole season. Hochheimer did very well, IMO, when he's been out there.
Madonna? I expect Jack Grooms to be in the mid for the third attack spot possibly as well and Simas will get his run in sure
Madonna's production in the last 4 games after moving down to attack was really high level. Especially with two head up lefties on attack (Archer and Mott) having a righty shooter who can stretch the defense on the field at all times is a must. Expecting Barthleme and Grooms to be more effective out of the box this year but the attack line of Archer Madonna and Mott is a lock and could be the best attack unit in the NEC.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

But then you squeezed Dattellas out of that third attack spot as well. Agree Madonna was productive at attack but he did have 32pts as a FR in 19 at Mid (7,2,9 in 3 games in 20 while hurt as I believe he might’ve been nicked up early in 21) so you have a known quantity at Mid with him. Reality is we’re so overloaded at attack some guys have to play mid then it’s a question of how that sets up up for the other half of the field whether you have a offensive oriented midfielder out there or a more capable two way guy.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

That was my thinking. Not a criticism of Madonna at attack. Just the opposite ... good memory of what he accomplished at mid. Also opens lots of possibilities for inversions, and he is the key to busting our perennial foe, the zone. Still, the "problem" is too many on attack. I think Datillas is too important to the future to leave out. And Barthelme has the reputation as the best practice player on the team. If that can get translated into game play, he'll be knocking at the door. But I dont think he has the legs for mid.
I really hope for normal fall ball so these things can sort out. I would like to know who our best inside threat is. In other words, who replaces Knox inside?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Grooms reminded me a bit of Jake McHenry in 19. Don’t forget that Durkin was as productive as Archer in HS (like 150pts his jr yr) and Sam Ward was excellent before his (knee or shoulder? Injury at Hingham). Ward is built like Jeff Colburn.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:08 am That was my thinking. Not a criticism of Madonna at attack. Just the opposite ... good memory of what he accomplished at mid. Also opens lots of possibilities for inversions, and he is the key to busting our perennial foe, the zone. Still, the "problem" is too many on attack. I think Datillas is too important to the future to leave out. And Barthelme has the reputation as the best practice player on the team. If that can get translated into game play, he'll be knocking at the door. But I dont think he has the legs for mid.
I really hope for normal fall ball so these things can sort out. I would like to know who our best inside threat is. In other words, who replaces Knox inside?
I have high hopes for Bach to be a terrific two way mid how runs like a horse. His football production in high school was off the charts.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Knox on the transfer portal signed with Ohio State
Guess whatever his issues were in Geneva were not too serious
Perhaps the issue was he simply didn’t want to be a Statesman?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Knox to OSU points to the real level of talent this
team had, for me, especially on the 2020 squad,
where unfortunately, the unfulfilled promise of that
season,

but the especially talented ones were given another
chance, a mostly positive in my mind, Eric Holden being
the most obvious case in point reaching the national
championship game.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

catchnshoot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 am Knox on the transfer portal signed with Ohio State
Guess whatever his issues were in Geneva were not too serious
Perhaps the issue was he simply didn’t want to be a Statesman?
Sometimes a school isn't the right fit. No harm in that. Remember Nicky Galasso chose UNC and left for Cuse. Wish nothing but the best for Jason at OSU. In the mean time any news on the recruiting front, or what 5th year seniors might actually be returning?
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 am Knox to OSU points to the real level of talent this
season,

championship game.
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)** ->Ohio State
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:22 pm In the mean time any news on the recruiting front, or what 5th year seniors might actually be returning?
I'm pretty sure Imburgia is coming back for a 5th year but haven't heard of anyone else yet.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 am Knox to OSU points to the real level of talent this
season,

championship game.
Immediate upgrade for OSU
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

OSU couldn't be getting two more different players. Blanchard is a Phi Beta Kappa who could have gone anywhere for graduate school. Knox is looking for a better fit and a new start ... I hope he finds it. He still has a couple of years of eligibility, I think.
But after taking Blanchard and Knox, you'd think that they could at least give us an out of conference game to improve our SOS! :lol:
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 pm
season,

championship game.
He won 2 out of every 3, but the NEC ain't the Big 10 ;)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:18 pm
season,

championship game.
Yes. But he split 50% with the 3rd team AA from SJU. was 15-25 v Bryant's guy who went 16-27 against UVA's 2md team AA Fogo. So, why don't you admit he's a really good FOGO? Still mad ?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:20 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:18 pm
season,

championship game.
Yes. But he split 50% with the 3rd team AA from SJU. was 15-25 v Bryant's guy who went 16-27 against UVA's 2md team AA Fogo. So, why don't you admit he's a really good FOGO? Still mad ?
Maybe the OSU coaches,
will coach him up.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Crickets on the recruiting front lately.......... :roll:
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I've been wondering how coaches are dealing with all of the extra eligibility. Did NCAA increase roster size? Are there any j v games being played? We've got 6 seniors rumored to return through the new MA program or extra eligibility. Plus we have rising seniors, juniors, and sophomores with out the playing time they should have due to COVID and returning starters. Recruits know they face a backlog of talent. How are leagues dealing with this?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”