2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: 2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

Post by Can Opener »

I know that y'all will be sad to hear this, but I had a much longer post drafted that FanLax managed to eat. Kerstin Kimel apparently has unleashed some Ukraine bots on my account.

As all of this discussion shows, this will be a fun race to the finish for the Tewaaraton rather than a pre-ordained coronation. There is a legit argument for each the four remarkable athletes mentioned.

May the best woman whose name rhymes with Narlotte Shorth win!!!!
8-)
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Kirsten Kimmel :lol: !
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:04 pm Duke is better without CN.
How so?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:04 pm We saw with the Big 3 at BC that the committee does not want to have three finalists from one program.
The committee isn’t as precise as you imply here. Back in 2019 the committee left big 51 off the list for the final five and shoehorned Giles instead. Maryland already had a representative in the goaltender who eventually won that year. EH had the numbers ALL OVER Giles. Wasn’t even close! (You could look it up.) Well, I was told, the committee doesn’t always just look at the numbers, sometimes they look at the player and the character of the player. Yeah, okay. 🙄

And yup—still beating this dead horse to death.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:16 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:04 pm We saw with the Big 3 at BC that the committee does not want to have three finalists from one program.
The committee isn’t as precise as you imply here. Back in 2019 the committee left big 51 off the list for the final five and shoehorned Giles instead. Maryland already had a representative in the goaltender who eventually won that year. EH had the numbers ALL OVER Giles. Wasn’t even close! (You could look it up.) Well, I was told, the committee doesn’t always just look at the numbers, sometimes they look at the player and the character of the player. Yeah, okay. 🙄

There were a few kids could have been up there in place of Giles, not just EH. Its like they had to go with Lasota...thats my head scratcher..
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Laxallday wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:21 am Hey, remember when it was alleged that Duke would be better after they got rid of North? :lol:
Before I do what I hate...let facts stand in the way of a good argument, I want to be clear I AM a fan of this athlete's pure athletic gifts.

Duke with North
2018 Record 9-8 (53%), No NCAA Bid
2019 Record 11-8 (58%), No NCAA Bid

Duke w/o North:
2020 Record 6-3 (67%), No tourney held
2021 Record 9-5 (64%), Likely NCAA Bid

See how numbers can be misleading? No way they are better without North, and yet their record and results are.
I'd argue it's a wash. Project out their record this year: loss to UNC on Friday and again in 1st round of ACC tourney would be 9-7 (56%) and will get a bid. They were robbed of an NCAA bid in 2019 in Inside Lacrosse's opinion (4 of 4 writers in post-selection article picked them as biggest snub). So..to me 2019 with CN and 2021 without CN (and with Rosenzweig) is about equal, certainly not better.
watcherinthewoods

Duke is certainly more competitive sans North. Keep in mind that an unhappy player of that caliber is like a cancer. Without pointing fingers at the coach, the team, the players, let's just say it was a bad match. It happens.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm

There were a few kids could have been up there in place of Giles, not just EH. Its like they had to go with Lasota...thats my head scratcher..
None better than 51 though. Kennedy had similar numbers but she plays for Stony Brook. Lasota belonged. Giles was the one they felt they had to go with.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm Duke is certainly more competitive sans North. Keep in mind that an unhappy player of that caliber is like a cancer. Without pointing fingers at the coach, the team, the players, let's just say it was a bad match. It happens.
How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?

And how is Duke more competitive without North? They beat some good teams while she was there.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:15 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:35 pm Duke is certainly more competitive sans North. Keep in mind that an unhappy player of that caliber is like a cancer. Without pointing fingers at the coach, the team, the players, let's just say it was a bad match. It happens.
How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?

And how is Duke more competitive without North? They beat some good teams while she was there.
you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

crazyhorse wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm Project out their record this year: loss to UNC on Friday and again in 1st round of ACC tourney would be 9-7 (56%) and will get a bid.
Are you saying Duke will be the 8 seed and draw NC in the first round of the ACC tournament?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed.
That's the letter of the law--we all know that. We also know there are a whole host of ways to woo or contact players using other methods. No way a player just enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm

None better than 51 though. Kennedy had similar numbers but she plays for Stony Brook. Lasota belonged. Giles was the one they felt they had to go with.
Eh, Ortega had better numbers and a better shooting percentage than EH. (went on to break points record at UNC that year ) and was also the ACC MVP in same conference Emily H plays in - also helped her team to NCAA final 4....something Emily H also didn't do. North and Kent also had great numbers that year. Kennedy could have been a factor.....
watcherinthewoods

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:15 pm

[/quote

Happy players do not transfer. And the only quality WK for Dook oi 18 or 19 was the upset of notre dame In the ACC tourney i. 2019.

AWW wooed north with natty and a tewaarton. north never took the draw at Dook, right?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:46 pm Eh, Ortega had better numbers and a better shooting percentage than EH. (went on to break points record at UNC that year ) and was also the ACC MVP in same conference Emily H plays in - also helped her team to NCAA final 4....something Emily H also didn't do. North and Kent also had great numbers that year. Kennedy could have been a factor.....
They were pretty even but I gave the edge to 51 because she took (and won) a lot of draws. But Ortega also deserved to be in the last 5 instead of Giles. You want to laugh? Go look up her numbers for 2019.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm
crazyhorse wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm Project out their record this year: loss to UNC on Friday and again in 1st round of ACC tourney would be 9-7 (56%) and will get a bid.
Are you saying Duke will be the 8 seed and draw NC in the first round of the ACC tournament?
Nope - VT will be the 8. Duke likely the 5 (could be 6, depending on tiebreaker with UVA) and would play #4 ND. Irish will be favored, though Duke could certainly pull upset a la '19.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

crazyhorse wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 pm
Nope - VT will be the 8. Duke likely the 5 (could be 6, depending on tiebreaker with UVA) and would play #4 ND. Irish will be favored, though Duke could certainly pull upset a la '19.
So could be a rematch UNC and ND in semis?
1 plays 4?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

crazyhorse wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:22 pm Nope - VT will be the 8. Duke likely the 5 (could be 6, depending on tiebreaker with UVA) and would play #4 ND. Irish will be favored, though Duke could certainly pull upset a la '19.
Lots of coulds and likelys to end up at 9-7
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed.
That's the letter of the law--we all know that. We also know there are a whole host of ways to woo or contact players using other methods. No way a player just enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go.
So are you suggesting someone at BC was doing something against the rules? That certainly is what your post is implying.

I know of several players who have entered the portal with out knowing where they want to go. Once you enter, you start the dance all over again.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 am So are you suggesting someone at BC was doing something against the rules? That certainly is what your post is implying.

I know of several players who have entered the portal with out knowing where they want to go. Once you enter, you start the dance all over again.
I’m stating plainly that there are a lot of possible alternate scenarios in addition to the regularly espoused negative speculations on these boards regarding North’s departure from Duke.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”