#4 Syracuse at #3 Loyola

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: #4 Syracuse at #3 Loyola

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:03 pm A final shout out to Taylor Cummings. Excellent in the booth.
Agreed!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

2020 is now 2021....see you next year.
njbill

Post by njbill »

And just think, you da Cuse guys could’ve had Caitlyn Wurzburger. I heard she attended a game once, but was turned off by the fans in the upper level. :P
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:07 pm And just think, you da Cuse guys could’ve had Caitlyn Wurzburger. I heard she attended a game once, but was turned off by the fans in the upper level. :P
da Cuse fans in response after today's win. "Who needs 'er!"
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:05 pm 2020 is now 2021....see you next year.
I would wait until after they struggle versus Towson and lose the rematch to Florida. But in any event, not a rosey outlook after the massacre.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

As they say, it’ll get better. Tough opener.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:39 pm As they say, it’ll get better.
Who are they? As to things getting better, we shall see...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm
They, which is to say, me.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:02 pm
Cletus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:48 pm
They, which is to say, me.
Gotcha. The “who are they” question was posed to me back in the fourth grade by one Miss Rook. It stayed with me for some reason.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:38 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:27 pm
Cletus wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:23 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm She appears to have a better handle on this game than Coach Adams.
Ouch! 😉
I'm just not seeing any adjustments by Loyola on offense.
Seems to me they are not making the type of quick interior passes you need in order to beat the backer: side to side, side to in, or behind to front. They have had the ball up top too much. Can’t beat a backer from up top.

Hold on a second,it’s not like Syracuse hasn’t run this defense from the day Coach Defeliese arrived. Having said that, if you are going to attack from up top ( which I don’t recommend) you send back to back cutters ,with the first cutter drawing all the attention and the second one waltzing in unaccounted for hopefully. Stony Brook runs the same D but UNC was precise enough in their passing to dissect it last week , Loyola....... not so much. Forget about that how many times is Loyola going to get burned sending the double on D and leaving goal line extended wide open. They called a timeout and I figured we had seen the last of the double. Oh no there’s more Johnny !
Cletus

Alyssa Murray Cometti breaks it down

Post by Cletus »

No. 5 Loyola played host on Saturday afternoon in Baltimore, welcoming No. 4 Syracuse to town. It was both team’s first game of the 2021 season; but in what was anticipated to be a tight game turned into one that the Orange ran away with—dominating in nearly every statistical category. It was a fast-pace game start to finish, and while Loyola had bright moments on the field, it was never enough to stop the Orange momentum.
Here’s how it all happened:

BREAKING IT DOWN: TOP 5 MATCHUP, TOP 4 TAKEAWAYS

1. Last year’s top-ranked defense is going to give its opponents fits. Syracuse has run a backer zone defense for many years, and the high-pressure defense has become somewhat of a trademark for the Orange. They were the top-ranked defensive (7.00 GPG) unit in the nation in 2020, and made a statement in their opener: they are back and have not missed a beat.
Syracuse forced Loyola into making several errant passes into the middle of the field (Syracuse led Loyola in caused turnovers, 10-8; Loyola made 15 turnovers total to the Orange's ten) and the unit was also exceptional in forcing low percentage shots (Syracuse held Loyola to just 14 shots; the Greyhounds averaged over 17 goals in 2020) that they could depend on five-year starter, Asa Goldstock (4 saves; 44.4%), to stop. 
One of the most deceptive wrinkles in the Syracuse zone is how they bait other teams to make passes from up high to the inside where the cutter is turned away from the goal. This allowed Syracuse the opportunity to collapse from the crease while the ball was in the air, forcing knockdowns and interceptions, or at the very least making the inside player catch with someone on their back and then have to shoot around a collapsing defense.
Syracuse’s ability to lure their competitors into making dangerous passes along with their pestering pressure on the ball, and the ticking shot clock in the back of your mind, can make even the best attackers make uncharacteristic mistakes.

2. Greyhound’s fast sliding defense will be tough to beat when they have the chance to develop some chemistry. While this was definitely not the result that Loyola was hoping for, it's still early in a normal year. Now, throw in a pandemic, a delayed start, and minimal fall ball activity, and there are still teams that just need to get their feet back under them. I think this rings true for Loyola and, in particular, the Greyhounds' defensive corps. 

Loyola was running a fast, sliding man-to-man defense and at times it seemed like they ended up creating opportunities for the Orange because they were either (1) too eager to slide when the on-ball girl was not beat, or (2) they sent too many girls to the ball leaving the backside vulnerable for open cutters. 
I’m confident that this game film will provide the Greyhounds with a lot of clarity on organization and communication when it comes to who is going to ball and when. Once they get this sorted out, they will be dangerous as they all have plenty of game experience and are one of the most athletic units in the nation.

3. Emily Hawryschuk & Co. are unselfish and just downright dangerous. The Orange was scoring early and often today, with eight different players registering at least one. What was most impressive was the number of goals that were assisted. 11 of 18 total goals were created by another teammate, as the Orange displayed quick ball movement and unselfishness on offense. 
Fifth-year senior, Emily Hawryschuk continued to pour in goals with four on the day in addition to dishing out a helper. It seems like no matter who the opponent or however many players a team is sending to her, Hawryschuk manages to make quite a dent in the score sheet. 
Hawryschuk’s counterparts Megan Carney (3G, 3G) and Meaghan Tyrrell (3G, 2A) were each big-time point contributors. Now juniors, “The Meg’s” have had a chance to develop chemistry together and work as a tandem from behind the goal for years.
Both Carney and Tyrrell have the ability to create opportunities for themselves and their teammates, alike, allowing them to take some pressure off of Hawryschuk’s shoulders while also forcing defenses to not just solely focus on #51. Through the midfield, Samantha Swart impressed netting four goals on just four shots.

4. Rosenzweig’s ability to control the ball will be key for the Greyhounds. One of the bright spots that Loyola can build on coming out of today’s game is Livy Rosenzweig’s seven draw controls. Both teams controlled 13 total draws (Loyola held a 9-3 advantage at the half) in the game, and Rosenzweig was a huge part of the Greyhound’s success in that department. (Katie Detwiler also snagged four.)
Loyola's inability to get its offense going is, well, just uncharacteristic and unlikely to happen again. The Greyhounds ability to gain possessions off the draw are one of the team's strongest attributes.

Who’s Up Next? More big matchups.

Loyola vs. Towson – Wednesday, February 24. Loyola will have the chance to bounce back quickly from the weekend in a Baltimore battle with Towson. Towson has played, and won, two games so far this season against Mount St. Mary’s and UMBC. Loyola will serve as a much tougher test than their previous competition and if I were to guess, Loyola will be hungry to get their first win on the year in the books. After the mid-week tilt vs. Towson, Florida comes to town on Sunday, February 28.

Stony Brook vs. Syracuse – Saturday, February 27. Stony Brook will be travelling back up to the Carrier Dome next weekend, where we will see two of the best zone defenses in the game go head-to-head. Stony Brook gave Syracuse their only loss on the year in 2020, and will be coming off of their third game in 2021 when they get to Upstate NY. Stony Brook added a mid-week matchup against USC, while Syracuse will have all week to prepare to even the series with Stony Brook next weekend. 
DMac

Post by DMac »

3. Emily Hawryschuk & Co. are unselfish and just downright dangerous. The Orange was scoring early and often today, with eight different players registering at least one. What was most impressive was the number of goals that were assisted. 11 of 18 total goals were created by another teammate, as the Orange displayed quick ball movement and unselfishness on offense.
Fifth-year senior, Emily Hawryschuk continued to pour in goals with four on the day in addition to dishing out a helper. It seems like no matter who the opponent or however many players a team is sending to her, Hawryschuk manages to make quite a dent in the score sheet.
Hawryschuk’s counterparts Megan Carney (3G, 3G) and Meaghan Tyrrell (3G, 2A) were each big-time point contributors. Now juniors, “The Meg’s” have had a chance to develop chemistry together and work as a tandem from behind the goal for years.
Both Carney and Tyrrell have the ability to create opportunities for themselves and their teammates, alike, allowing them to take some pressure off of Hawryschuk’s shoulders while also forcing defenses to not just solely focus on #51. Through the midfield, Samantha Swart impressed netting four goals on just four shots.
For the Loyola faithful this had to be a little nauseating to watch, particularly for those who are emotionally invested. May teams wear the same uniforms but don't much look like February teams. On to the next one of many more.
"Down right dangerous" is the impression I had of the Cuse O too. Damn. 11 of 18 assisted and all assists are not created equal. Some of those were threading the needle and putting the ball on a dime....the btb assisted goal? C'mon. One of those assists was on a FPS, nice play, well executed. Two of the seven unassisted were FPS goals, just putting the ball by the GK. Three for three on FPSs, that's a big deal. There's a heck of an arsenal of shooters (good shooters) on this team, it is a pretty dangerous group. Wurzburger is better than Carney? I've got to see more of Wurzburger before I'm buying that.
Liked Cummings' comment about Gary Gait teams coming at you with a variety of shots from in front of the cage. Imagination and creativity welcome. Gotta love that.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

US Lax Magazine article on the game; some comments from Coach Adams:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... o-3-loyola

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”