Duke

D1 Womens Lacrosse
hmmm

Re: Duke

Post by hmmm »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:27 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm Teams that want to play tough schedules manage to do so. There's no way that this is the best Duke could put together. It's laughable. They know they won't win many games in the ACC so they've scheduled a bunch of wins to make their record look better when NCAA selections come around.
Yep
They'll end up 11-7 and get in because they're in the ACC but will only have ACC wins over Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech. They may beat UVa to get to 4 conference wins.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:40 pm Teams that want to play tough schedules manage to do so. There's no way that this is the best Duke could put together. It's laughable. They know they won't win many games in the ACC so they've scheduled a bunch of wins to make their record look better when NCAA selections come around.
Yep
They'll end up 11-7 and get in because they're in the ACC but will only have ACC wins over Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech. They may beat UVa to get to 4 conference wins.
I remember reading that Duke has had a top ten recruiting class every year since Inside Lacrosse started doing rankings in 2006. That's more than any other program. I'll post a link if i find the article. It was part of a reflection IL did on the history of their rankings. Duke has wasted years worth of talent. Some posters like to rag on UNC or BC for not winning more, but at the very least they are constantly in the conversation to win it all. Duke has just as much resources as the top programs yet have accomplished nothing. There is something rotten there.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

In my opinion, it is not "rotten." It's lackluster. For some reason, Kimel has not created a culture of winning, and given the recruiting advantages and resources and the conference in which Duke plays, you have to look at these recruiting classes and conclude that the coaching is the next level down from her peers at UNC, Syracuse, and other programs. Is it enough for the administration that she's a good person, her kids all graduate, stay out of trouble, work in the community? I guess so. But give this program to Spallina, Daniele Spencer....Maybe two or three years from now when Clemson beats Duke at Koskinen, someone will notice.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Well said … except I gotta call you on listing Dani with Spallina. Program builders? KAH, although not one of my personal favs, cannot be denied. Spencer may earn it, but the jury is still out.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

In defense of Duke, most of their out-of-conference games are regional. There seems to be an emphasis for teams to play an abundance of out-of-conference games locally. This is financially driven and helps grow the game locally. UNC / BC also play a number of out-of-conference games against "Southern" and "Northeastern" teams as well.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

westcoastlax wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:50 am In defense of Duke, most of their out-of-conference games are regional. There seems to be an emphasis for teams to play an abundance of out-of-conference games locally. This is financially driven and helps grow the game locally. UNC / BC also play a number of out-of-conference games against "Southern" and "Northeastern" teams as well.
Maybe if this was a one-off that argument would hold water. But Duke does this every year. Go back and look at their schedules historically. Typically they have 1 or 2 tough OOC games(only 1 this year) and then they always schedule 7-8 games that they know they should win. With the ACC expanding they have been able to add wins against Louisville and Va Tech and now they have an additional likely win against Pitt. So this year they can go 11-6 with those 3 ACC wins and beating Gardner-Webb, Elon, W&M, HP, Wofford, ECU, Davidson and Liberty. And then will complain if they don't make the NCAA tournament since they play in the toughest conference and went 11-6. UVa is probably at the same level as Duke but they managed to put together a legit OOC schedule with games against JMU, MD, Princeton, Stanford and Richmond.
Mrs@inthe8m

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 pm
Yep
Agree with all of this. I have a hard time believing they could not come up with a more challenging OOC schedule even if trying to limit travel. I get it that ACC teams need to choose their OOC matchups carefully because it's such a strong conference, but playing a schedule like this should not get a team the benefit of the doubt simply because they play in the ACC. Look at the 2021 tournament bracket and the quality of teams in UNC's quadrant vs. Duke's. I'm not saying Duke didn't have a good team, but definitely given an easier path to the elite 8 than other deserving non-ACC teams. Can't fault North at all for transferring. It still amazes me to think about 2021 being her first appearance in the NCAA tournament!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

On another note, Duke usually plays a good brand of ball during the regular season. They get blown out by the iron of the ACC occasionally but a look back at the last few years shows a typically close game most of the time against the stronger ACC teams. I enjoy watching Duke. They won't be as exciting with Rosenzweig gone but they have some good talent on the rise in Olivia Carner, Caroline DeBellis and Katie DeSimone. I have no illusions of Duke challenging for even a sniff at Championship Weekend but they are a colorful and enjoyable team to watch during the regular season and even sometimes in the early rounds of the NCAA's. I usually root for Duke. Their win over the defending champ Terps in last years Tournament was exhilarating. One of the high points of '21 at this address. And Olivia Carner--my kind of player: tough, bold and chippy.

OuttaNowhereWregget

No. 8 Duke Primed for 2022 Opening Weekend

https://goduke.com/news/2022/2/10/women ... ekend.aspx
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:02 pm On another note, Duke usually plays a good brand of ball during the regular season. They get blown out by the iron of the ACC occasionally but a look back at the last few years shows a typically close game most of the time against the stronger ACC teams. I enjoy watching Duke. They won't be as exciting with Rosenzweig gone but they have some good talent on the rise in Olivia Carner, Caroline DeBellis and Katie DeSimone. I have no illusions of Duke challenging for even a sniff at Championship Weekend but they are a colorful and enjoyable team to watch during the regular season and even sometimes in the early rounds of the NCAA's. I usually root for Duke. Their win over the defending champ Terps in last years Tournament was exhilarating. One of the high points of '21 at this address. And Olivia Carner--my kind of player: tough, bold and chippy.

Overrated. They beat up on teams they should, but then...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Watched the first quarter of this game, after the Syracuse-Stanford game, and decided to read the rest of the night. Duke was leading 10-0 or 11-1 or something. Stopped reading and flipped on the Notre Dame v. Central Michigan game. It was something like 22-0. Back to A Gentleman in Moscow.

I know they play because the lower rated teams want the game too. But with finite practice time, I just really don't understand the allure of these games for the coaching staffs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

What's really baffling to me, and this is purely an assumption based on some of the comments on these boards, is why every player on the bench doesn't get playing time--on both teams. From the past I remember folks supposing that the weaker teams play the stronger teams to get a chance to see what it's like to run with the big dogs for 60 minutes, travel concerns, tradition, etc. are some of the reasons for any of the top 10-20 playing teams like Detroit Mercy and Gardner-Webb. I hope ESPN comes to deeply regret scheduling Carolina at Pittsburgh for one of their nationally televised games later this month. Blowouts don't get good ratings and they certainly don't help "grow the game".
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:20 am What's really baffling to me, and this is purely an assumption based on some of the comments on these boards, is why every player on the bench doesn't get playing time--on both teams. From the past I remember folks supposing that the weaker teams play the stronger teams to get a chance to see what it's like to run with the big dogs for 60 minutes, travel concerns, tradition, etc. are some of the reasons for any of the top 10-20 playing teams like Detroit Mercy and Gardner-Webb. I hope ESPN comes to deeply regret scheduling Carolina at Pittsburgh for one of their nationally televised games later this month. Blowouts don't get good ratings and they certainly don't help "grow the game".
Yeah, I watched the Pitt-Duquesne game for a quarter or so yesterday. I would be surprised if Pitt won an ACC game this year, and the Carolina game is going to be a blow out.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I know this topic was raised before but Dukes schedule is an absolute joke and embarrassment. They have won their first 2 games by a collective score of 47-7 and upcoming games the next few weeks do not get any better. You have kids stat padding like it was high school - averaging 15 drawers per game and 7 points per game. Have so much respect for teams like NW, Cuse, Stanford, BC, Stony Brook who challenge themselves and care a bit about the integrity of the sport.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I know this topic was raised before but Dukes schedule is an absolute joke and embarrassment. They have won their first 2 games by a collective score of 47-7 and upcoming games the next few weeks do not get any better. You have kids stat padding like it was high school - averaging 15 drawers per game and 7 points per game. Have so much respect for teams like NW, Cuse, Stanford, BC, Stony Brook who challenge themselves and care a bit about the integrity of the sport.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I like Duke. They have some colorful talented players. They’re not putting anything over on anyone with their puff schedule. It’ll all show in the postseason.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 am . You have kids stat padding like it was high school - averaging 15 drawers per game and 7 points per game.
Yep on the powderpuff schedule....This comment is right on ^^^^. This will likely be part of a push for #4 to be AA....13 goals in two games....I would be impressed if it was anyone but Elon and Gardner-Webb.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 am I know this topic was raised before but Dukes schedule is an absolute joke and embarrassment. They have won their first 2 games by a collective score of 47-7 and upcoming games the next few weeks do not get any better. You have kids stat padding like it was high school - averaging 15 drawers per game and 7 points per game. Have so much respect for teams like NW, Cuse, Stanford, BC, Stony Brook who challenge themselves and care a bit about the integrity of the sport.
I also feel that Duke is ranked way too high at #6. They are not a top ten team this year.
McSpazatron

Post by McSpazatron »

Their out of conference scheduling is flat out embarrassing. The fact that they get away with it in the polls is how dumb these polls actually are. All stats are not created equal, and in this case running up scores on Elon, Gardner Webb, W&M, wofford and east carolina is verging on fraud. And by no means do I imply any disrespect on those programs individually, only in the sense of Dukes aggregate out of conference scheduling.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

McSpazatron wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:21 pm Their out of conference scheduling is flat out embarrassing. The fact that they get away with it in the polls is how dumb these polls actually are. All stats are not created equal, and in this case running up scores on Elon, Gardner Webb, W&M, wofford and east carolina is verging on fraud. And by no means do I imply any disrespect on those programs individually, only in the sense of Dukes aggregate out of conference scheduling.
Poster before (Lax101 ) referenced Duke Stat padding....The name of the game offensively in women's lax is scoring. It doesn't matter who you score goals against....blow out wins - doesn't matter. If that were the case we wouldn't be lauding North for breaking the record when @20 of these goals came from garbage time/blowout games. Nobody cares how you score - just that you score. Period.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”