Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by Laxgunea »

I think the players return today. If I understand correctly they should have been tested in the last 72 hrs, will isolate for 4 days, again be tested, and then get started on practices next week.
Not sure on the status of the Bubble. It looks good on the outside, but as of early December wasn't certified for occupancy.
RE projected lines for the season: there are some really good first years looking to break in. I wouldn't be surprised to see Delany, for example, on a first or second mid line.
Here's to a solid, safe, and winning season. Would love to see Boz with spectators in May.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Some Hobart related history. Joe Corcoran is the father of 3X AA Terry ('78) and Joe ('79) and was an integral part of lacrosse's' growth in CNY. I've heard that the team had their first 2021 practice this weekend. Please correct me if I am wrong. We can all hope for some semblance of a season.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A big CONGRATULATIONS to Hobart's Frank Brown. Canisius is getting a good one!

https://gogriffs.com/news/2021/1/19/men ... staff.aspx
Last edited by oldbartman on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Sorry to hear there wont be the annual battle for the Kraus-Simmons trophy this year. I always enjoy the matchup with you guys, hoping next year we can work out a Saturday game for a change versus the usual mid week game.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

There is still hope for the Hobart v Syracuse game. For the past few years it has been on a Tuesday night. There is still time and room for this game to be played. Coach Raymond is still working out available time slots for a couple of potential ooc games. Hopefully the Hobart v Cornell game can get played as well. That is if the Ivy league gives the greenlight to a season.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm There is still hope for the Hobart v Syracuse game. For the past few years it has been on a Tuesday night. There is still time and room for this game to be played. Coach Raymond is still working out available time slots for a couple of potential ooc games. Hopefully the Hobart v Cornell game can get played as well. That is if the Ivy league gives the greenlight to a season.
From what I know SU has finalized there schedule and is unlikely to modify it at this point. Unfortunately that means no Hobart, Cornell or JHU this season which is of course disappointing. Desko is not a fan of mid week games and with 12 games already scheduled I think it would take a cancellation to get Hobart on the schedule. Hopefully I am wrong and something can be worked out but it appears slim. IVY is highly likely to cancel the season, lots of smoke today that an announcement is imminent.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JeremyCuse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:56 pm
oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:51 pm There is still hope for the Hobart v Syracuse game. For the past few years it has been on a Tuesday night. There is still time and room for this game to be played. Coach Raymond is still working out available time slots for a couple of potential ooc games. Hopefully the Hobart v Cornell game can get played as well. That is if the Ivy league gives the greenlight to a season.
From what I know SU has finalized there schedule and is unlikely to modify it at this point. Unfortunately that means no Hobart, Cornell or JHU this season which is of course disappointing. Desko is not a fan of mid week games and with 12 games already scheduled I think it would take a cancellation to get Hobart on the schedule. Hopefully I am wrong and something can be worked out but it appears slim. IVY is highly likely to cancel the season, lots of smoke today that an announcement is imminent.
yeah. cancellations are a longshot.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

I see some encouraging posts here, but I'd really like to see the NEC and Hobart post schedules for the 2021 season to make me feel better. It is too bad if we lose Syracuse and Cornell, especially since upsets could be very possible this year, but just getting an NEC season in would be awesome.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm A big CONGRATULATIONS to Hobart's Frank Brown. Canisius is getting a good one!

Damn, no issue with our assistants but I wish we could have Frank as a coach in Geneva but understand the local convenience of being near Buffalo. Hopefully he can’t teach his best characteristic as a player, which was a stoically quiet Spartan toughness which is on a level most don’t appreciate. He was extraordinarily talented as well but cut down by injuries (knee, hip and back I believe, his knee brace looked like something you’d have on if you were rebuilding a leg in a sci fi movie) after looking pretty good as a FR in 13, losing 14 and part of 15 before taking off in 2015 finally at least 70-75% healthy all season. He was a great for us anyways but I wonder if he had been anywhere near 100% four all four years if his career might’ve put him in the top couple offensive players in the modern (D1) era. Still got to play on the team that beat Cuse in 13, won a conf POY, HM AA, reg season conf title and AQ/tourney title in his time in Geneva.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I am really hoping for some miracle to have both Cornell and Syracuse this spring.

But, how is Cornell playing Robert Morris this year and not us?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 pm
oldbartman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:31 pm A big CONGRATULATIONS to Hobart's Frank Brown. Canisius is getting a good one!

Damn, no issue with our assistants but I wish we could have Frank as a coach in Geneva but understand the local convenience of being near Buffalo. Hopefully he can’t teach his best characteristic as a player, which was a stoically quiet Spartan toughness which is on a level most don’t appreciate. He was extraordinarily talented as well but cut down by injuries (knee, hip and back I believe, his knee brace looked like something you’d have on if you were rebuilding a leg in a sci fi movie) after looking pretty good as a FR in 13, losing 14 and part of 15 before taking off in 2015 finally at least 70-75% healthy all season. He was a great for us anyways but I wonder if he had been anywhere near 100% four all four years if his career might’ve put him in the top couple offensive players in the modern (D1) era. Still got to play on the team that beat Cuse in 13, won a conf POY, HM AA, reg season conf title and AQ/tourney title in his time in Geneva.
I think the problem is that our assistants are too good to let go, even to get Frank. I heard from someone on campus that he was steering a great recruit to us from Salamanca. Hope that holds.
On campus, the players have been back for a week. There have been no practices yet, just individual sessions and conditioning. They seem eager to get going. But some disappointment about the likely schedule. They have no idea when it will come out.
On other sports news, congrats to Tampa Bay #74Ali Marpet for making the superbowl. I think he was a Hobart grad from around 2015 or so.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:03 pm

I think the problem is that our assistants are too good to let go, even to get Frank. I heard from someone on campus that he was steering a great recruit to us from Salamanca. Hope that holds.
On campus, the players have been back for a week. There have been no practices yet, just individual sessions and conditioning. They seem eager to get going. But some disappointment about the likely schedule. They have no idea when it will come out.
On other sports news, congrats to Tampa Bay #74Ali Marpet for making the superbowl. I think he was a Hobart grad from around 2015 or so.
Had the opportunity to attend a Bucs game this year & spoke to Ali after the game. Nice, personable young guy--and he's a beast! We actually talked lacrosse a little bit. He was/is knowledgeable and casually follows the lacrosse team..
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Supposed to be a great guy. My son was in some classes with him. He's a smart guy too, and friendly.
I've seen some ft players around town. These guys are pretty big kids. This is the first year in a while when well probably outsize our opponents.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:52 pm Some Hobart related history. Joe Corcoran is the father of 3X AA Terry ('78) and Joe ('79) and was an integral part of lacrosse's' growth in CNY. I've heard that the team had their first 2021 practice this weekend. Please correct me if I am wrong. We can all hope for some semblance of a season.
You failed to mention his son, Sean(he wasn't an Hobartian, though), RIP.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Tentative being the key word. No Syracuse, Cornell or Colgate. Unless any of those 3 are willing to have a Tuesday or Wednesday game, they'll have to wait till 2022. With the shorter season, I imagine most leagues/conferences will follow similar schedules. Though RMU has managed to schedule Cornell and get a full schedule together as they are an independent this year,
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

On closer inspection, it appears that the first two games don’t count towards the NEC standings. They don’t have the NEC logo next to them.
TAV

Post by TAV »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm Tenative schedule up

https://hwsathletics.com/schedule.aspx? ... &path=mlax
That’s a tough schedule...10-0 and then get bounced by 10 goals in the NCAA Play-In Game.

This is sorta why I’m an ACC/Carolina Fan now; an underdog but plays tough competition.

I appreciate Hobart’s tradition etc...and enjoyed the “Glory Years”, but once COVID passes in a couple of years, it might be time to change Conferences or at least up the OOC games. Look @ High Point: Carolina, Virginia, Duke OCC.

I get it - SU and Cornell, but Hobart should add 1-2 top ranked teams - good for the Program and of course SOS.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

TAV wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am

That’s a tough schedule...10-0 and then get bounced by 10 goals in the NCAA Play-In Game.

This is sorta why I’m an ACC/Carolina Fan now; an underdog but plays tough competition.

I appreciate Hobart’s tradition etc...and enjoyed the “Glory Years”, but once COVID passes in a couple of years, it might be time to change Conferences or at least up the OOC games. Look @ High Point: Carolina, Virginia, Duke OCC.

I get it - SU and Cornell, but Hobart should add 1-2 top ranked teams - good for the Program and of course SOS.
I agree on adding stronger OOC games. The problem is getting the coaches from "higher ranked" programs to agree to them. They see it as a no win situation. If they beat us, big deal. If we bet them, they're afraid it will hurt them come tourney time. We used to play GTown & Bucknell. Now they won't schedule us. I understand this year. But not the previous 3-4 years.
TAV

Post by TAV »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:32 am
TAV wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am

I agree on adding stronger OOC games. The problem is getting the coaches from "higher ranked" programs to agree to them. They see it as a no win situation. If they beat us, big deal. If we bet them, they're afraid it will hurt them come tourney time. We used to play GTown & Bucknell. Now they won't schedule us. I understand this year. But not the previous 3-4 years.
Why did Hobart leave the Patriot League? Seemed like the right mix in terms of SOS etc... Can't remember if they were forced out or if it was an Administration decision.

It's unfortunate all around - seems like the Program is between a rock and hard place @ every turn - Not a D3 Program, but due too scheduling/limited competition and lack of scholarships, not quite able too compete @ a level that they probably could.

The guys coming there are limited too, on the top end - playing SU, Cornell and then @ best 1 Tourney Game. That's it. Which is fine I suppose, but it could be better, in an ideal world.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”