North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Chances come around

Post by Cletus »

Charlotte North certainly got the last laugh vs North Carolina. The very team that mocked her openly on the sidelines (to their own shame) in the ACC semifinal in 2019 felt the sting of an upset loss, an end to their 27 game winning streak, and their hopes for a 3rd national championship spoiled by the team she transferred to. How fitting. And seeing that North has chosen to pass up her final year of eligibility and graduate* -- I would say, "She who laughs last laughs best" applies well here.

* (unless I completely misread the social media post of North I saw the other day, resplendent in a black graduation gown with Cara Urbank and another teammate drinking and spraying champagne).

njbill

Re: North Carolina

Post by njbill »

The fact that she graduated is not dispositive of whether she is going to play a fifth year. She has one more year of eligibility. Haven't heard what she is going to do.

Does a grad need to go into the portal (not saying she would)? Don't think so, but maybe someone knows for sure.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:51 am The fact that she graduated is not dispositive of whether she is going to play a fifth year. She has one more year of eligibility. Haven't heard what she is going to do.

Does a grad need to go into the portal (not saying she would)? Don't think so, but maybe someone knows for sure.
I’d be really surprised if she moves on and forgoes an additional year of eligibility.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:51 am The fact that she graduated is not dispositive of whether she is going to play a fifth year. She has one more year of eligibility.
Thanks for the clarification.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:22 pm
njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:51 am The fact that she graduated is not dispositive of whether she is going to play a fifth year. She has one more year of eligibility. Haven't heard what she is going to do.

I’d be really surprised if she moves on and forgoes an additional year of eligibility.
I would too--as passionate as she is about the game, and all dese youts with one more year under their belt--that could be one dangerous team, maybe on the hunt for back-to-back championships.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I have a friend on the team. I'm 100 percent sure North is playing 1 more year.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:39 pm I have a friend on the team. I'm 100 percent sure North is playing 1 more year.
So they graduate/lose Urbank, and No.13, defender. Who else? BC is going to be good again.

Why are we doing this on the UNC thread?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:49 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:39 pm I have a friend on the team. I'm 100 percent sure North is playing 1 more year.
So they graduate/lose Urbank, and No.13, defender. Who else? BC is going to be good again.

We free form here, baby. We just go with de flow, whichever way de wind blow.

Cletus

What happened?

Post by Cletus »

Add another postseason choke to the Tar Heels resume. The story line and expectation for the last year and a half was the powder blue super team already had their name on the next national championship trophy. The most amazing ensemble of powerhouse players the NCAA has ever seen (except for the 2009 Northwestern Wildcats). Why couldn't they finish the job? Did the weight of the 27 game winning streak get too heavy? Were there personnel/chemistry issues? Was it coaching? Makes one wonder...

LarryGamLax

Re: Chances come around

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am Charlotte North certainly got the last laugh vs North Carolina. The very team that mocked her openly on the sidelines (to their own shame) in the ACC semifinal in 2019 felt the sting of an upset loss, an end to their 27 game winning streak, and their hopes for a 3rd national championship spoiled by the team she transferred to. How fitting. And seeing that North has chosen to pass up her final year of eligibility and graduate* -- I would say, "She who laughs last laughs best" applies well here.

* (unless I completely misread the social media post of North I saw the other day, resplendent in a black graduation gown with Cara Urbank and another teammate drinking and spraying champagne).

Any of the mockers ACTUALLY PLAY in the game? :lol:
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:25 pmAny of the mockers ACTUALLY PLAY in the game? :lol:
Usually stuff like this I find stupid but their shtick was actually funny. made me laugh out loud. funny... :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:31 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:25 pmAny of the mockers ACTUALLY PLAY in the game? :lol:
Usually stuff like this I find stupid but their shtick was actually funny. made me laugh out loud. funny... :)

If you found it funny, that's fine. I just find it almost embarrassing that players who hardly ever get past the sidelines are mocking those who are on the field kicking ass.
As the great philosopher LaVar Ball said : "Stay in Yo Lane"! :P
Matnum PI

Re: What happened?

Post by Matnum PI »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 amWhy couldn't they finish the job? Did the weight of the 27 game winning streak get too heavy? Were there personnel/chemistry issues? Was it coaching? Makes one wonder...
This is a legit question. obviously teams lose, even really good teams but... Why? Hindsight is 20-20. So... Why did UNC lose?

Obvious answer is Hall, BC's hot goalie. But... Hall didn't save *every* shot. She just made 4-5 saves that seemed to be definite goals. And NC had some quality saves, too. We just remember Hall because of the drama of the moment. The It's a goal... NO IT'S NOT!!! when UNC really needed a goal. So we remember this. But... Why did NC lose? (As a semi-aside, I think there are lots of things that a box score misses.) I've recently been focused on the importance of ball possession. I think BC simply did a better job of valuing their possessions. When BC had the ball, they were more focused on keeping the ball and making sure the possession ended with a goal. UNC seemed to have less focus on this aspect of the game, seemed to have less of an awareness of the finiteness of ball possession in the offensive half.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pmIf you found it funny, that's fine. I just find it almost embarrassing that players who hardly ever get past the sidelines are mocking those who are on the field kicking ass.
As the great philosopher LaVar Ball said : "Stay in Yo Lane"! :P
Larry, c'mon. They're mocking Charlotte North! Arguably one of the best players of all time. If you tell the worst guy on the team that he should find another sport, that's not funny. You tell the best player on the team the same thing, people crack a smile. It's funny!... :)
Caddy Day
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:22 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:49 pm

We free form here, baby. We just go with de flow, whichever way de wind blow.

Friend on the BC team. 100 percent sure North coming back. #13 going to BC grad school so will likely play another year. Urbank even has another year of eligibility but unsure what she will do.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 am Add another postseason choke to the Tar Heels resume. The story line and expectation for the last year and a half was the powder blue super team already had their name on the next national championship trophy. The most amazing ensemble of powerhouse players the NCAA has ever seen (except for the 2009 Northwestern Wildcats). Why couldn't they finish the job? Did the weight of the 27 game winning streak get too heavy? Were there personnel/chemistry issues? Was it coaching? Makes one wonder...

Geez Cletus...why isn't Brownlax coming down on you? You used the word "choke". You actually questioned "why couldn't they finish the job?" You questioned the coaching...OH MY!!
All I said was the following "you will understand the difference between perceived greatness and real greatness." Facts that are in evidence.

Wait til next year.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:16 am Add another postseason choke to the Tar Heels resume. The story line and expectation for the last year and a half was the powder blue super team already had their name on the next national championship trophy. The most amazing ensemble of powerhouse players the NCAA has ever seen (except for the 2009 Northwestern Wildcats). Why couldn't they finish the job? Did the weight of the 27 game winning streak get too heavy? Were there personnel/chemistry issues? Was it coaching? Makes one wonder...

Geez Cletus...why isn't Brownlax coming down on you? You used the word "choke". You actually questioned "why couldn't they finish the job?" You questioned the coaching...OH MY!!
All I said was the following "you will understand the difference between perceived greatness and real greatness." Facts that are in evidence.

Wait til next year.
Nah—that’s seacoaster who has a problem with the word “choke”
Lax101

Re: She WILL be a star!

Post by Lax101 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm njbill and TL are rarely in agreement but njbill and TL are herein. 8-)

Ms Wurzburger will be instant starter, star, and an All-American.

Not only does she possess the requisite lax skills (and then some), she is a hard working, self-motivated kid.

A bit too early to anoint her as the second coming of JenAdams, but she just might be.

Why does TL compare Ms Wurzburger to JenAdams? Both are pure attackers, and there is ZERO question that JenAdams is the very best ever at that end of the field.

Peace, out.

TL
How has CW lived up to the hype? So many people said she would be an instant star and All American and compared her to Jen Adams.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:04 pm
Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm njbill and TL are rarely in agreement but njbill and TL are herein. 8-)

Ms Wurzburger will be instant starter, star, and an All-American.

Not only does she possess the requisite lax skills (and then some), she is a hard working, self-motivated kid.

A bit too early to anoint her as the second coming of JenAdams, but she just might be.

Why does TL compare Ms Wurzburger to JenAdams? Both are pure attackers, and there is ZERO question that JenAdams is the very best ever at that end of the field.

Peace, out.

TL
How has CW lived up to the hype? So many people said she would be an instant star and All American and compared her to Jen Adams.
She had decent numbers. I think she only started one game - the game Ortega sat out due to injury. With Hoeg there hard to say if she would have had more points. Seems kind of limited in that she can only play by or behind cage. True test will be next year without Hoeg. Will she be a feeder behind cage? (kind of small) or will she just roll the crease? Im sure not making it onto USA team tryout doesn't sit well with her. Not an AA this year but probably next year.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:04 pm How has CW lived up to the hype? So many people said she would be an instant star and All American and compared her to Jen Adams.
She has great talent. A blind man can see that. I saw some plays she made this year that were dazzling. Brilliant. She had great poise and presence for a rookie and I never saw her get rattled. Still too early to fully say though. Let's see what she's doing in 2023 when it's her team for the Jen Adams comparisons.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”