Of course something is off,
Tigers played well in prior years by controlling the face offs,

and the game has sped up, new rules on F/O,
they’ll need to build that D, concentrate on the
defensive side - Syracuse, Georgetown, Providence,
Denver - these teams play solid D with the new rules,
sped up game,

won’t be easy, Tigers can handle it.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jusreLaxin

Re: Towson 2021

Post by jusreLaxin »

WOW! Not a good offensive showing. What's going on with FO's. Is it me, but the offense looks small, or just not at the same level as the top tier teams. Virginia man handled them.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:58 pm Of course something is off,

Denver - these teams play solid D with the new ruled,
sped up game,

won’t be easy.
When Towson went to #2 Denver and pulled the upset in the first round of NCAA playoffs they went 2-22 on face offs. . Didn’t control face offs that day did they? And they have 8 CAA titles w controlling face offs - got it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I was actually responding to the prior poster.
I believe in the Nadelen way of course, having seen
it firsthand.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:48 am

sped up game,

won’t be easy.
When Towson went to #2 Denver and pulled the upset in the first round of NCAA playoffs they went 2-22 on face offs. . Didn’t control face offs that day did they? And they have 8 CAA titles w controlling face offs - got it.
They had much better teams back then. Drenner, Seider, Adams, Goodrich. To say they have 8 CAA titles w/o controlling face-offs is absurd. Woodall was dominant in his three years, esp. when he was in shape. If he didn't get hurt against Ohio State in the semifinal, they might be playing for the title against Md. To go 2-22 on face-offs and win is a testament to the defense and goaltender that game, but also the incredible efficiency of the offense. This team has a ways to go to be kind, but there is talent.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

jusreLaxin wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:04 am WOW! Not a good offensive showing. What's going on with FO's. Is it me, but the offense looks small, or just not at the same level as the top tier teams. Virginia man handled them.
Hard to disagree, but not sure we had the ball much on offense. Either poor clearing, turnovers on both ends. But sure, we're not huge up front and our first midfield is more about two-ways guys that can handle the ball but are not great shooters. Despite that, I thought Avanzato shot it well as did Milani and had at least three pipes and one goal the refs missed that went in and back ou.t
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:29 pm I was actually responding to the prior poster.
I believe in the Nadelen way of course, having seen
it firsthand.
I believe in the approach but he's not beyond taking a little criticism for things I (and others) feel could be improved.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Think scheduling VA and Duke early will help down the line. Those 2 Offenses are off the charts good.
Towson worked hard, need to fix a few things and will be fine.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Zungailia is something else,
and, just a sophomore,
hard not to keep your eyes on that guy.
harflax

Post by harflax »

All starts at the faceoff x. Losing 22 of 24 draws like we did against Denver is an anomaly. I would like to the see the analytics on the percentages of winning with only 2 of 24 draws. Next year we have a Hopkins top 100 FO flip heading our way.

Take aways from the first game:
1. The offense really struggles against pressure. This was a repeat from last year. Way too many turnovers. We didn't have the speed or first step explosiveness to run by them.
2. Teams know we struggle mightily clearing. This is also a repeat from last year. Some of the same players panicking in a 10 man ride. Expect teams to ride the s... out of us again.
3. One of SSM's really struggled breaking down. On the close out they ran right past him.
4. Catch and throw. Holy goodness I remember at least two turnovers on simple catch and throws.

Positives
1. Garrett Zungailia really played well. He was a groundball machine.
2. Both McLeans.
3. I thought Wasserman also played well
4. As usual Koby Smith. I would still like to see him on the wing on faceoffs.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Denver - these teams play solid D with the new rules,
sped up game,

won’t be easy, Tigers can handle it.
I get all that. I guess I’m just talking about from a talent level, or just from the eye test, they don’t look on the same playing field anymore.

The big pole 35 and Koby Smith were the only two players that looked like they fit in talent wise, and maybe only 2 of the few that would have played on the great Towson teams of a couple years ago.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:11 pm All starts at the faceoff x. Losing 22 of 24 draws like we did against Denver is an anomaly. I would like to the see the analytics on the percentages of winning with only 2 of 24 draws. Next year we have a Hopkins top 100 FO flip heading our way.

Take aways from the first game:
1. The offense really struggles against pressure. This was a repeat from last year. Way too many turnovers. We didn't have the speed or first step explosiveness to run by them.
2. Teams know we struggle mightily clearing. This is also a repeat from last year. Some of the same players panicking in a 10 man ride. Expect teams to ride the s... out of us again.
3. One of SSM's really struggled breaking down. On the close out they ran right past him.
4. Catch and throw. Holy goodness I remember at least two turnovers on simple catch and throws.

Positives
1. Garrett Zungailia really played well. He was a groundball machine.
2. Both McLeans.
3. I thought Wasserman also played well
4. As usual Koby Smith. I would still like to see him on the wing on faceoffs.
Very good assessment. Again, I say this every year. Our best athletes are either playing defensive midfield or on the bench. I guess it's easier said than done to get the ball to Kobe on clears and just let him run. But where is that shortie that can do the same? We've had a year to work on that and while I know practice isn't normal, we shouldn't be struggling again.
molo

Post by molo »

UVA is going to make a lot of teams outside their conference look bad this year. The extra year has created four, maybe five, all star teams in the ACC. It's really hard to gauge whether Towson is that bad this year or if they just ran into a buzz saw. Still, they don't look like the athletic teams of recent years. I don't count last year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 pm It's really hard to gauge whether Towson is that bad this year or if they just ran into a buzz saw.
Is it? They were quite bad last year and didn't really add anyone in the offseason. In fact they lost Mazza who was one of their better offensive players in 2020. Regression to the mean suggests they'll probably end up being a bit better than they were a year ago but I don't think there's much reason to expect a significant jump. Most of the key guys from that 2019 team are gone.

Anyone hear anything about the NCAA compliance violation?
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:02 pm
molo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 pm It's really hard to gauge whether Towson is that bad this year or if they just ran into a buzz saw.
Is it? They were quite bad last year and didn't really add anyone in the offseason. In fact they lost Mazza who was one of their better offensive players in 2020. Regression to the mean suggests they'll probably end up being a bit better than they were a year ago but I don't think there's much reason to expect a significant jump. Most of the key guys from that 2019 team are gone.

With Mazza, they went 0-6 so I don't consider him a big loss, despite the fact he had some talent. I wasn't exactly thrilled with them bringing him back either. They added a bunch of transfers after the 2019 season and it didn't exactly pay off in those six games. Just had to hope that the youngsters that played in the 2020 half-season would get better in the offseason. Not going to put too much into a loss against one of the most talented teams in the nation without the head coach other than the factors (F/O, turnovers) that continue to plague us.

If any of us knew about the violation, I doubt it would be mentioned or allowed here.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Didn't they bring in an entire class of freshmen? Is that not enough anymore?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:53 pm

Didn't they bring in an entire class of freshmen? Is that not enough anymore?
The 2020 class is a good one, top 20-25
according to IL.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Math1234 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:59 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:48 am

sped up game,

won’t be easy.
They had much better teams back then. Drenner, Seider, Adams, Goodrich. To say they have 8 CAA titles w/o controlling face-offs is absurd. Woodall was dominant in his three years, esp. when he was in shape. If he didn't get hurt against Ohio State in the semifinal, they might be playing for the title against Md. To go 2-22 on face-offs and win is a testament to the defense and goaltender that game, but also the incredible efficiency of the offense. This team has a ways to go to be kind, but there is talent.
That 2015 roster was loaded -

Goalie - Tyler White
Defense - Mike Lowe, Tyler Mayes, JoJo Ostrander, Mike Lowe
MidField - Andrew Hodgson, Tyler Young, Mike Lynch
Attack - Drenner, Seider, Spencer Parks

All of the above were drafted in the pros....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 am The 2020 class is a good one, top 20-25
according to IL.
I think Towson performs best not when IL rates a recruiting class highly but when IL rates them whatever and the kids prove IL to be irrelevant. In general, as Maryland public high school lacrosse goes, so goes Towson. which is, up and down.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 am
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:41 am The 2020 class is a good one, top 20-25
according to IL.
I think Towson performs best not when IL rates a recruiting class highly but when IL rates them whatever and the kids prove IL to be irrelevant. In general, as Maryland public high school lacrosse goes, so goes Towson. which is, up and down.
Yup, and from my perspective, is going to be down for a bit longer. I see a decline in (invested) participation.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”