Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Quarantine: Whatcha Doing?

Post by Brooklyn »

Having nothing better to do I watched some yesteryear crapola in youtube:

Both fall well within the best-be-forgotten category.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:56 pm
Since the viral load affects how likely you are to become infected by a virus, physical distance helps. Intuitively, if it spreads from a cough omnidirectionally from a single point, your load per unit of volume decreases with the cube of the distance from the source. So, if you are talking about open windows (screens should be negligible), I would feel free to open them.

There are now a few online articles which address the matter of open windows - all say it is a good idea. Examples:

https://www.the-sun.com/news/681927/ope ... irus-home/

https://elemental.medium.com/the-germ-c ... ea832934ce

Seems like the consensus is that despite the fact that contanminants are or can be airborne, it is proximity to infected people which remains the biggest factor in the spreading of the illness. But these guidelines change very often and you wonder if this advisory won't be changed sometime soon.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

In case you're looking for a new exercise routine while not able to get to the pool/gym.
No equipment needed. Click on at :24.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1sAQxsrBUE
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:58 pm In case you're looking for a new exercise routine while not able to get to the pool/gym.
No equipment needed. Click on at :24.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1sAQxsrBUE
Let me go get my speedo!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So me and 2-3 good friends used to mix a bunch of Irish and American whiskeys to get the blend we like. We came across quite a few that hit the right spots on our taste buds. We all had names for our favorites: i.e: Elijah Mill (Elijah Craig plus Bushmills 12). Anyway, we finally started adding all of the final few drops of our favorite bottles to one "house" bottle. The journey got more fun. We loved getting together and trying each other's blends. But we didn't tell a lot of people as we thought we were wasting good booze...Anyway, it turns out we were on to something and weren't alone!

A cool watch:

So if you're looking for something to do during quarantine, start your own "Infinity" or "Solera" bottle. Add a few of your favortes together to create something new and unique to you!
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

hennigans.

and afterwards, you don't even smell

no smell, no tell, scotch.

https://youtu.be/pgXAt_gstcs?t=78
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Hennigans was my favorite when I was an air traffic controller. :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:23 pm So me and 2-3 good friends used to mix a bunch of Irish and American whiskeys to get the blend we like. We came across quite a few that hit the right spots on our taste buds. We all had names for our favorites: i.e: Elijah Mill (Elijah Craig plus Bushmills 12). Anyway, we finally started adding all of the final few drops of our favorite bottles to one "house" bottle. The journey got more fun. We loved getting together and trying each other's blends. But we didn't tell a lot of people as we thought we were wasting good booze...Anyway, it turns out we were on to something and weren't alone!

A cool watch:

So if you're looking for something to do during quarantine, start your own "Infinity" or "Solera" bottle. Add a few of your favortes together to create something new and unique to you!
What a great idea. I am going go start doing that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well folks, got some big news. I've learned how to get pictures from my phone (why do we still call them phones?) to a place where I can post them. I'll undoubtedly abuse that like I do pretty much everything, so stand by.
Our Uncle Sam insisted upon sending us $1,200 and asked that we spend it to help keep the economy going, so being a good soldier, that's what I did. Check my new ride out ($1,199 free shipping...perfect). Shots taken at my favorite little brewery, just felt right.
Super cool little bike, check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHlN8sd_NI
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

so youre a motorbike guy now??? didnt see that coming! :D
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, guess you could say that, not to be confused with a motorcyle guy cuz DMac aint gettin' on no motorcycle. More like a bike guy minus the peddling. You can actually get around town maybe quicker on that than in a car. Stop signs, stop lights aren't quite the same when you're on a bike (not being stupid about it). Cop pulled a car over the other day, naturally they're still part way out in the road and there are four or five cars backed up waiting to get by. When I got up to it I just went to the right into the grass and zipped right by...no waiting, no problem. The thing's kind of fun and gets around pretty good.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DMac wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm Yup, guess you could say that, not to be confused with a motorcyle guy cuz DMac aint gettin' on no motorcycle. More like a bike guy minus the peddling. You can actually get around town maybe quicker on that than in a car. Stop signs, stop lights aren't quite the same when you're on a bike (not being stupid about it). Cop pulled a car over the other day, naturally they're still part way out in the road and there are four or five cars backed up waiting to get by. When I got up to it I just went to the right into the grass and zipped right by...no waiting, no problem. The thing's kind of fun and gets around pretty good.
Totally radical DMac! You can ride it up to Gino's in N Syr for a cheesesteak!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
ardilla secreta

It ain’t legit unless you get streamers for the handlebars. I’ve actually been thinking of getting a scooter, but an electric bike doesn’t need a license. What’s your top speed?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, gotta get the streamers. Will put 'em on when my Harley t-shirt and Vietnam Veteran hat get here. If you're going in, you gotta go all in.
I really don't know what top speed is, a s, no speedometer on it. Videos say 20-28 mph, and some engineer/motor head I'm sure could figure out a way to juice it up (those types just can't resist it). It goes plenty fast enough for what it is, I'll have my buddy with his Harley (legit) go along side me and get back to you. If you're in the bike lane, on a sidewalk, or the shoulder of the road, I really don't think you want it going any faster. The bike going along on the side of the road (shoulder) should act more like a bike than a motorcycle, otherwise I can see where where it could cause problems for those driving their cars. If you're thinking of one (something) to go 5-10 miles in a decent amount of time, this thing will do it for you....and yes, no helmet, license, reg, ins...nota.
ardilla secreta

In the mid 80’s my mom apparently lost her mind and bought an Italian moped when she was about 64. She thought it would be a good way to commute the 1.2 mile to work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory until she saw a motorcycle wipeout avoiding a car. Then it was back to the Sedan de Ville. I had fun on it while visiting though. Electric bike makes sense these days.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Glad she didn’t buy a jet propulsion pack to shave a little more time off her commute. Might have made it easier for her to drop in on meetings, though.
ardilla secreta

Not likely. In my home desk I have an envelope with a bunch of vintage JPL mission badges and some of her old access badges. Every time I look at the “Voyager 2 Uranus” badge I can’t help but laugh my ass off. I should start wearing it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:23 pm So me and 2-3 good friends used to mix a bunch of Irish and American whiskeys to get the blend we like. We came across quite a few that hit the right spots on our taste buds. We all had names for our favorites: i.e: Elijah Mill (Elijah Craig plus Bushmills 12). Anyway, we finally started adding all of the final few drops of our favorite bottles to one "house" bottle. The journey got more fun. We loved getting together and trying each other's blends. But we didn't tell a lot of people as we thought we were wasting good booze...Anyway, it turns out we were on to something and weren't alone!

A cool watch:

What a great idea. I am going go start doing that.
Kramerica, you might get a kick out of this.

For about a hundred years, Maryland was famous for making rye whiskey. It tended to be more fruit forward, and used less rye. It was marketed as "Pure Maryland Rye Whiskey" and the like. I revived the style about a decade ago, when there weren't any distilleries in Maryland making Rye. I tasted vintage bottlings from long-shuttered Baltimore area distilleries. The oldest was from the Hannis Distillery that was located in Baltimore.....Mount Vernon Rye. It had this massive strawberry note that I replicated with yeast selection and other fermentation techniques.

Here's a piece from the NY Times on the subject with me and a few other distillers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/dini ... yland.html

In any event, distillers at the Cooley Distillery in Ireland....at the time the only independent distillery in Ireland.....were quite fond of our Maryland Style Rye. So we discussed a blending project similar to your blend of American and Irish whiskies----- We'd use a small quantity of our robust Rye, and blend it with their much softer Irish Whiskey....essentially the well regarded Tyrconnell....and bottle it as an Irish-American whiskey.

The cool thing is, after a bit of research, we found that this had been done before in the 1920's. In any event, we were in the middle of getting the blend together when the then independent Cooley Distillery was sold to Jim Beam. And shortly thereafter, Beam was bought by Suntory out of Japan. So needless to say, the project between two small indie distilleries was cancelled. Bummer, right?

Below is a link to a well known married couple, and amateur historians, who live in Baltimore. They know more about the history of these Maryland distilleries than anyone I know. It's an old, crude website, but it's still pretty neat. There's a ton of old labels, and they visited quite a few of the old distillery sites.....some of the buildings are still there.

http://www.ellenjaye.com/maryland-baltimore.htm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Officially up to 4 oz in bourbon bottle one. I chose to use an empty Leopold Bottle and hung a small "Made in America" flag on it. Have not figured how to track it or even if I want to yet. At this point it has Woodford Double Oaked and Elijah Craig. It sits right next to my home office and makes me smile.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:18 pm Officially up to 4 oz in bourbon bottle one. I chose to use an empty Leopold Bottle and hung a small "Made in America" flag on it. Have not figured how to track it or even if I want to yet. At this point it has Woodford Double Oaked and Elijah Craig. It sits right next to my home office and makes me smile.
Ah, well maybe I can top it up for you.

My position affords me all sorts of drams from visiting master distillers.....the latest is from Jack Daniels master distiller who was kind enough to drop off a bottle of his single barrel rye. Also have a nice bottle that Freddie Noe gave me from his visit....a bottle of his "Little Book".

We're releasing our 5yo BIB this very week.....I can send off little drams of each if you'd like. Let me know.....

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”