Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Also looks like the streak didn’t begin until 2014.
Turtles Lax

Update!

Post by Turtles Lax »

The Mighty Turtles more than made up for that awful loss in the NCAA semifinals with an epic 25-13 beat down of Evanston State. :D

Peace, out. TL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... utType=amp
[/quote]

Right, 2019 they did break the "streak" but this year I think they make it further in tourney as well...

Joe
[/quote]
njbill

Post by njbill »

Evanston State?

Was that the year Prince George's Community College beat them? :lol:
Turtles Lax

You’re mean!

Post by Turtles Lax »

:o

So are the morons who run PeeeeeeeGeeeeeee County and are barring fans from attending TL’s Laxchix games. :roll:

Will the knuckleheadedness ever end? :?:

Peace, out.

TL
njbill wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:38 am Evanston State?

Was that the year Prince George's Community College beat them? :lol:
njbill

Post by njbill »

TL will just have to get TL hired as an assistant trainer or something so TL can be on the sidelines. I hear TL has a LOT of pull at PGCCC.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

We are all conveniently forgetting the impact of the virus ...

#1 These teams are all out of their rhythm - weird and limited practice schedules are the least of the disruptions to SOP for these programs. Look at the level of play in college hoops to see the result of lack of a "normal" season on the level and style of play. Which teams will this benefit? Who will adapt best? Hard to tell.

#2 Everyday I look in the paper (yes, the print newspaper) and see various cancellations, postponements, and personnel changes in college sports due to COVID. Once these teams start traveling, the odds are that at some point schedules and line-ups will be disrupted in significant ways.

So, while we can speculate given what we know now, I think we are in for a bumpy ride. Hope they all get as much time playing as possible. They have earned it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Michigan vs Penn State

These two teams have developed a nice rivalry over the past few years. Up until 2018, Michigan had never defeated PSU, but after a shocking 2 goals in the last 6 seconds in a game pitting the two on the last day of UM's '18 season, the Wolverines finally broke through. They defeated PSU the next season as well. I'm looking forward to these two battles on Mar 19 and 21 at State College, PA. Neither team has superstars, per se. But they have some good, hardworking talent on both squads and are evenly matched. And Penn State has a beautiful lacrosse field.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Update!

Turtles Lax wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:29 am The Mighty Turtles more than made up for that awful loss in the NCAA semifinals with an epic 25-13 beat down of Evanston State. :D
A Defender of the Maryland Wall.

I hear that happens with fans whose team has enjoyed long years of domination. When any talk arises that edges toward criticism or a perceived slight, the hypersensitive fans get ruffled and yell foul, which in this case was non-existent. It was merely a clarification as to the length of time Maryland held sway over NU.
Turtles Lax

Not TL!

Post by Turtles Lax »

Perchance you are referencing TL as a ‘hypersensitive’ fan, TL strongly objects. :( TL was desensitized long ago and most assuredly was not ruffled by the comments. Believe, TL; TL has read far worse! :lol: :lol:

NU was the much better team in the B1G ‘ship game...a game in which the usually Mighty Turtles were never in contention. Never. The ‘awful’ in TL’s post was directed at the play of TL’s Laxchix.

Now for the NCAA semifinals game, the Terps exacted revenge...and ‘revenge’ is an accurate term regarding the NU-UMD rivalry. There is much respect on the field, but if either team has the opportunity to win BIG they surely will. Neither HC will ever lift off the pedal...and that is absolutely cool. The Purple Cats took the beating and guarantee they will do the same to the Terps if they can. There is no such thing in this rivalry as ‘running up the score.’ Both teams would hang 30 on the other if they could. Truth!

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL

[/quote]

A Defender of the Maryland Wall.

I hear that happens with fans whose team has enjoyed long years of domination. When any talk arises that edges toward criticism or a perceived slight, the hypersensitive fans get ruffled and yell foul, which in this case was non-existent. It was merely a clarification as to the length of time Maryland held sway over NU.
[/quote]
OuttaNowhereWregget

The original topic was how long UMD held sway over NU. You veered way off topic, and that veering is a symptom of post dynasty hypersensitivity syndrome.
Turtles Lax

Oh, my...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...’post dynasty?’ :roll:

Not very good at math, are you? :shock: Or the English language. :roll:

The Terps have won four (4!) of the last six (6!) NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and are the reigning champs.

But no worries, TL will happily ignore your rants and incorrect assertions from here on. :D

TL
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 am The original topic was how long UMD held sway over NU. You veered way off topic, and that veering is a symptom of post dynasty hypersensitivity syndrome.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Oh, my...

Turtles Lax wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:39 pm ...’post dynasty?’ :roll:

Not very good at math, are you? :shock: Or the English language. :roll:

The Terps have won four (4!) of the last six (6!) NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS and are the reigning champs.

But no worries, TL will happily ignore your rants and incorrect assertions from here on. :D

TL
Par for the course. You’re good at ignoring. It’s how you got involved in this conversation to begin with.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think you need to win seven in a row or seven of eight to be considered a dynasty. ;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

njbill wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:13 pm I think you need to win seven in a row or seven of eight to be considered a dynasty. ;)
To clarify, the “post dynasty” comment was meant as a troll, which was swallowed hook, line and sinker. We all know Maryland is the current dynasty. And if we happen to forget, or surmise that the future does not include added chapters to the dynasty, rest assured that someone from Maryland will immediately appear to correct, and defend the wall.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm
njbill wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:13 pm I think you need to win seven in a row or seven of eight to be considered a dynasty. ;)
To clarify, the “post dynasty” comment was meant as a troll, which was swallowed hook, line and sinker. We all know Maryland is the current dynasty. And if we happen to forget, or surmise that the future does not include added chapters to the dynasty, rest assured that someone from Maryland will immediately appear to correct, and defend the wall.
I am a long time supporter of the Terps ,however I see a tough road ahead vs NU. The pendulum will swing to the NU side for the next few years. NU now appears to be the more athletic team ,and has the most dynamic offense in the Big 10. NU defense is questionable but when you dominate at the draw the way they do , you don’t get much action on that end.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Itsallgood wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:20 pm I am a long time supporter of the Terps ,however I see a tough road ahead vs NU. The pendulum will swing to the NU side for the next few years. NU now appears to be the more athletic team ,and has the most dynamic offense in the Big 10. NU defense is questionable but when you dominate at the draw the way they do , you don’t get much action on that end.
What are your thoughts on NU's penchant for zoning out defensively during parts of a game and how will that factor into the pendulum swing you speak of?

Perfect example is last years game vs UNC. NU took a 10-8 lead into the half, then promptly surrendered the next 5 goals to begin the 2nd period. Game over. NU trailed the whole rest of the way. UNC won 4 of the 5 draw controls which led to those 5 goals. Even the single draw won by NU during that stretch was turned over almost immediately and eventually ended up being the other UNC goal.

Typically, Reese's teams are very disciplined and rarely guilty of sloppy or careless play. Last year has to be considered an anomaly for Maryland given their track record under Reese. But coaching isn't everything as we know. A coach still needs good players. Perfect example of that is Navy post Collins sisters.

I like NU--I just don't know if they can sustain a disciplined approach to team defense over a season/postseason--let alone years--especially against the Terps. (By the way--anyone have any inside info as to the rate and quality of recruits coming to Maryland this year, next year? Do they still have a direct pipeline from McDonogh?) And don't get me wrong, as I stated in a previous post, I love seeing Maryland lose. Nothing personal (apart from some of their insufferable fan base)--I just get bored with the same team winning over a period of years, regardless of the sport.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 pm Perfect example of that is Navy post Collins sisters.
good point....but, they also had a great lefty Crease attack for their last two years that arguably carried more weight than each of the twins. There was significant drop off without the twins, because without those 2 stars, #7 got all the defensive attention and #30 was her only counterpart for 2019. Even the HOF Coach couldn't find the same success...pretty fair season in 2019, but abysmal start last season.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 pm
Itsallgood wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:20 pm I am a long time supporter of the Terps ,however I see a tough road ahead vs NU. The pendulum will swing to the NU side for the next few years. NU now appears to be the more athletic team ,and has the most dynamic offense in the Big 10. NU defense is questionable but when you dominate at the draw the way they do , you don’t get much action on that end.
What are your thoughts on NU's penchant for zoning out defensively during parts of a game and how will that factor into the pendulum swing you speak of?

Perfect example is last years game vs UNC. NU took a 10-8 lead into the half, then promptly surrendered the next 5 goals to begin the 2nd period. Game over. NU trailed the whole rest of the way. UNC won 4 of the 5 draw controls which led to those 5 goals. Even the single draw won by NU during that stretch was turned over almost immediately and eventually ended up being the other UNC goal.

Typically, Reese's teams are very disciplined and rarely guilty of sloppy or careless play. Last year has to be considered an anomaly for Maryland given their track record under Reese. But coaching isn't everything as we know. A coach still needs good players. Perfect example of that is Navy post Collins sisters.

I like NU--I just don't know if they can sustain a disciplined approach to team defense over a season/postseason--let alone years--especially against the Terps. (By the way--anyone have any inside info as to the rate and quality of recruits coming to Maryland this year, next year? Do they still have a direct pipeline from McDonogh?) And don't get me wrong, as I stated in a previous post, I love seeing Maryland lose. Nothing personal (apart from some of their insufferable fan base)--I just get bored with the same team winning over a period of years, regardless of the sport.
On the direct pipeline to McDonogh, well, the McDonogh coach is pretty well acquainted with College Park and CNR.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:03 pm On the direct pipeline to McDonogh, well, the McDonogh coach is pretty well acquainted with College Park and CNR.
Do you think there is any chance McDonogh grads are choosing to go to other schools, no matter how small the percentage of said grads? That would be an interesting thing to research – where have McDonogh grads gone in the last four years, and where are they committing to now. If I knew where I would look into it. Any leads?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’ll take a crack at this mainly based on memory and without checking records or the Internet, except I did look at Maryland rosters going back to the beginning of Reese’s tenure as head coach there.

Back in the lax power era, this would be a pretty simple exercise as one could access their recruits database. Recruit information is still available online through various sources, but it’s not as easily accessible or comprehensive as was the lax power information.

I fully agree that Cathy Reese still has a pipeline to McDonogh given that Taylor Cummings is the head coach there. Reese’s “scouting department” is second to none. Her husband coaches in the IAAM A conference so she has two top notch scouts (Brian and Taylor) to advise her about talent in that league. Also, Cathy’s HS coach Chris Robinson still runs the M&D club so he can advise her on talent at his club and, no doubt, on the club circuit in general.

I don’t think any more than, say, two or three (at the most) players from McDonogh go to Maryland in any given year. What has helped Maryland considerably, though, is the quality of the players. Taylor Cummings, Megan Whittle, Brindi Griffin, Catie May, Emma Tilson, Julia Hoffman, Emma Schettig (since transferred). Haven’t seen her play, but in the 2022 class, Kori Edmondson is committed to Maryland. She is a very highly ranked recruit.

Looking through old Maryland rosters, it looks to me like Taylor Cummings was the first McDonogh grad who was recruited by Cathy at Maryland. (Early in her tenure, there was another McDonogh player who transferred in, but wasn’t a star player.)

On the other hand, some top McDonogh players have gone to other schools: Sammi Burgess, Andie Aldave, both Jenners, Julia Dorsey. I’m certainly missing names from this list, but that gives you a flavor that some top talent does get away.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”