Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
6ftstick

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 pm Hard to think of anyone else to point fingers at for Baltimore’s ruination than Democrats.

Has anyone else been in charge?
According to many everyone in the Baltimore suburbs who had the good sense to run from the city are obviously to blame!

:lol:
You just explained why the Dems have run these cities for so long.

Republicans don't have one single solitary idea as to how to fix these problems. So their game----Pete's game----is to run away, and throw stones at anyone who tries to fix the problems.

Republicans don't know what to do, and have lost the battle of ideas. That's why no one votes for them in cities.

And laughably, I've been trying to explain to the board's Republicans that all the chaos with urban police departments is your chance to win back cities for decades: come up with solutions to these urban problems.

And what do the Republicans say to this opportunity to use their "superior" ideology to fix problems? Nothing. Turns out they don't have the first clue how to fix things in Minneapolis or Balitmore, either.

So yes, my answer to Pete is: you don't REALLY care about Baltimore. So ignore it, and stop pretending that you care. You're not fooling anyone.
OF COURSE ITS THE REPUBLICANS FAULT!
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:25 am OF COURSE ITS THE REPUBLICANS FAULT!
Oh, just stop.

Thats' NOT what I'm saying, 6ft., and you know it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let him feel his victimhood.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So
a fan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:29 pm Hard to think of anyone else to point fingers at for Baltimore’s ruination than Democrats.

Has anyone else been in charge?
According to many everyone in the Baltimore suburbs who had the good sense to run from the city are obviously to blame!

:lol:
You just explained why the Dems have run these cities for so long.

Republicans don't have one single solitary idea as to how to fix these problems. So their game----Pete's game----is to run away, and throw stones at anyone who tries to fix the problems.

Republicans don't know what to do, and have lost the battle of ideas. That's why no one votes for them in cities.

And laughably, I've been trying to explain to the board's Republicans that all the chaos with urban police departments is your chance to win back cities for decades: come up with solutions to these urban problems.

And what do the Republicans say to this opportunity to use their "superior" ideology to fix problems? Nothing. Turns out they don't have the first clue how to fix things in Minneapolis or Balitmore, either.

So yes, my answer to Pete is: you don't REALLY care about Baltimore. So ignore it, and stop pretending that you care. You're not fooling anyone.
I think you're giving more credit than is due.
Are the Democrats in Baltimore really trying to fix the problems with ideas or using Baltimore for other ends?
Whether it be further the democrat power-base, get rich, gain power, further cronyism, or become Governor?
Given the results, my answer, while cynical, is more realistic than the idealism you purport those in power in Baltimore have.
The results simply aren't there...for the positive side.

David Simon saw a lot in Baltimore first hand as a reporter. His perspective is not the "end all" but certainly worth a read:
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015 ... t=post-top
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm I think you're giving more credit than is due.
Are the Democrats in Baltimore really trying to fix the problems with ideas or using Baltimore for other ends?
Whether it be further the democrat power-base, get rich, gain power, further cronyism, or become Governor?
Given the results, my answer, while cynical, is more realistic than the idealism you purport those in power in Baltimore have.
I don't disagree with a single word. The Dems in these cities have been horrible. 6 and others seem to think I'm giving them a pass. I'm not. It's a crying shame what's happened in Detroit, for example, where I get to hear about the corruption first hand after living in MI for a decade. And yep, they've been Democrats.

My point is: what's the alternative choice? Where are the bold ideas? I PROMISE you that people in these cities are tired of the status quo....why do you think they're all marching in the streets?

The Republicans should be able to waltz in and say: we have a plan to turn this around, and here it is.

They don't have a plan. So how is this any better than the Dems?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm I think you're giving more credit than is due.
I don't disagree with a single word. The Dems in these cities have been horrible. 6 and others seem to think I'm giving them a pass. I'm not. It's a crying shame what's happened in Detroit, for example, where I get to hear about the corruption first hand after living in MI for a decade. And yep, they've been Democrats.

My point is: what's the alternative choice? Where are the bold ideas? I PROMISE you that people in these cities are tired of the status quo....why do you think they're all marching in the streets?

The Republicans should be able to waltz in and say: we have a plan to turn this around, and here it is.

They don't have a plan. So how is this any better than the Dems?
"My point is: what's the alternative choice?"

You just asked the 64,000 dollar question. There is no alternate choice. Neither political party has the slightest clue how to address the problems plaguing so many of our cities. The only option they have is more money. That would be fine with me if there was a game plan as to what more money is suppose to accomplish. How is victory going to be declared in the war on poverty? Is victory defined by there being no more poverty? As far as I know poverty has been with us all since day # 1.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, yes, it would indeed cost a boatload of money.

Think '40 acres and a mule' kind of money.

Ahhh, if we'd only followed through on that promise, or anything remotely akin to it, the ROI could have been tremendous.

But Lincoln assassinated, Johnson rescinded the order...KKK and Jim Crow, redlining and white flight...

So, what would this look like today?
What would be the best 'plan' to spend the serious jack necessary to reverse generations of redlining and prejudice, to transform our cities, to unleash the human capital potential in our society?

I'd start with recognizing that dispersion of poor families integrated into stable, integrated communities has proven to have far better outcomes for next generations than ghettoization. So, I'd provide substantial rent or mortgage vouchers enabling families to choose to move out of traditional public housing and into actual middle class housing.

But I'd also look at the most seriously desperate, crumbling communities in our cities and would make massive investments in infrastructure and community services, parks, schools, social services. I would make them attractive places to live, work, play, go to school, not redlined ghettos.

I'd decriminalize usage of drugs entirely, and would spend heavily on substance abuse as a public health challenge, not a criminal matter. I'd take the profit out of recruiting kids to sell and run illicit drugs. I'd empty the jails of those who were there for non-violent offenses related to drugs.

I'd transform our food policies to make healthy, nutritionally dense food cheap and sugar expensive, combatting obesity, diabetes, heart disease. I'd invest in preventive health care heavily.

I'd invest in online STEM education, at each level, while using in-person school time for interpersonal, team, and civics education, through various activities we might ordinarily think of as 'extracurricular', whether sports, creative arts, etc.

I'd invest heavily in infrastructure projects, both urban and rural, to modernize our underlying transportation, digital, energy, etc capabilities, providing jobs.

I'd invest heavily in skills training specifically to meet the employment needs of those infrastructure investments, and I'd subsidize apprenticeship programs in growth industries.

Can it be 'green' too? Sure.

None of this would mean an abandonment of capitalism and personal responsibility. That's a false choice.

Rather, this would be a "Marshall Plan" to unleash the full potential of our people and system. Major ROI.

So, a boatload of money...but compare it to pandemic money, which will only have an ROI in comparison to the dire alternative of economic collapse...
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm Well, yes, it would indeed cost a boatload of money.

Ahhh, if we'd only followed through on that promise, or anything remotely akin to it, the ROI could have been tremendous.

But Lincoln assassinated, Johnson rescinded the order...KKK and Jim Crow, redlining and white flight...

What would be the best 'plan' to spend the serious jack necessary to reverse generations of redlining and prejudice, to transform our cities, to unleash the human capital potential in our society?

I'd start with recognizing that dispersion of poor families integrated into stable, integrated communities has proven to have far better outcomes for next generations than ghettoization. So, I'd provide substantial rent or mortgage vouchers enabling families to choose to move out of traditional public housing and into actual middle class housing.

But I'd also look at the most seriously desperate, crumbling communities in our cities and would make massive investments in infrastructure and community services, parks, schools, social services. I would make them attractive places to live, work, play, go to school, not redlined ghettos.

I'd decriminalize usage of drugs entirely, and would spend heavily on substance abuse as a public health challenge, not a criminal matter. I'd take the profit out of recruiting kids to sell and run illicit drugs. I'd empty the jails of those who were there for non-violent offenses related to drugs.

I'd transform our food policies to make healthy, nutritionally dense food cheap and sugar expensive, combatting obesity, diabetes, heart disease. I'd invest in preventive health care heavily.

I'd invest in online STEM education, at each level, while using in-person school time for interpersonal, team, and civics education, through various activities we might ordinarily think of as 'extracurricular', whether sports, creative arts, etc.

I'd invest heavily in infrastructure projects, both urban and rural, to modernize our underlying transportation, digital, energy, etc capabilities, providing jobs.

I'd invest heavily in skills training specifically to meet the employment needs of those infrastructure investments, and I'd subsidize apprenticeship programs in growth industries.

None of this would mean an abandonment of capitalism and personal responsibility. That's a false choice.

Rather, this would be a "Marshall Plan" to unleash the full potential of our people and system. Major ROI.

So, a boatload of money...but compare it to pandemic money, which will only have an ROI in comparison to the dire alternative of economic collapse...
Holy *hit-----an ACTUAL conservative proposing solutions. How about that.

Infrastructure is the easiest, biggest layup ever. Rebuild EVERYTHING, and put Americans to work.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm I'd start with recognizing that dispersion of poor families integrated into stable, integrated communities has proven to have far better outcomes for next generations than ghettoization. So, I'd provide substantial rent or mortgage vouchers enabling families to choose to move out of traditional public housing and into actual middle class housing.

Redlining was one way to give that needed push to get out of dodge...so to speak.

For instance, in DC, Mayor Barry did something similar but went about it from the other side. He would provide DC jobs for those in the poor(er) areas of DC "Barry Farms" , even if they were do nothing but collect a paycheck job, and then there was on need to leave AND it meant I got your vote for life. He worked the system and his constituents to his favor.

I agree with you, the best thing is to get the children out of densely populated city areas where trouble finds them.

Another issue, nearby PG County is arguing now over the (not officially) 'reverse redlining' tax cap that was put into place in the 70's. Some are saying that was racist...Supporters of the proposal say the cap is racist and was created to keep the majority Black county from moving forward..

Getting the kids into schools where they can learn without interruption is key.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Anyone know anything about this story?:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/e ... mysteries/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:18 pm Well, yes, it would indeed cost a boatload of money.

Holy *hit-----an ACTUAL conservative proposing solutions. How about that.

Infrastructure is the easiest, biggest layup ever. Rebuild EVERYTHING, and put Americans to work.
Think 'investment' not 'expense' and smart, efficient spending can actually be 'conservative'.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm Think 'investment' not 'expense' and smart, efficient spending can actually be 'conservative'.
Precisely! Like you I'm a post WWII Republican. Pity we don't have any of them to vote for anymore, eh?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm Anyone know anything about this story?:

So I watched the episode on July 1, and did a google. He was on facebook as of early this year...posting pictures of himself with his o/u shotgun...with his mom posting pictures of him with his Bichon Frise on the yacht. Poor Porter.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm Anyone know anything about this story?:

So I watched the episode on July 1, and did a google. He was on facebook as of early this year...posting pictures of himself with his o/u shotgun...with his mom posting pictures of him with his Bichon Frise on the yacht. Poor Porter.
What an unbelievable story. My guess is that some Russians were involved. He may have taken the fall for the pump and dump scheme.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Don't know much about this particular story, but I do know a little about Porter Stansberry and the parent company Agora.

Agora was a strategy client of ours back in 2000, got to know its founders a bit. They'd built a $30 million 'alternative newsletter business' in finance and health founded in 1978. Think Kiplinger but for all the people who want to be contrarian. Think gold. Health, think nutraceuticals. Also an international travel newsletter business, and a business that invested and built a retirement destination in coastal Nicaragua. Primary owner, Bill Bonner, owns a castle in France.

They were managed and majority owned by two guys who thought anarchy was a positive, so they hired a huge # of very young, brilliant writers and gave them a leash to build followings based upon their ingenuity...but it was 90% sales pitch, 10% product value for most of the business units. Indeed, Bonner believed only in the pitch, and made an art of the long winded pitch letters sent through the mail to entice one to purchase a subscription. The more alarmist and contrarian the better. Produce and you were paid very handsomely, indeed building your own brand and business within the overall structure.

Totally under the radar, housed in a series of brownstones in Mount Vernon section of the city.

We were introduced by their sole outside individual, minority investor.

They had two fundamental problems, 1) they had miserable customer service operations (they simply didn't care, as they put all priority on their customer acquisition formula: so many pitches equaled a defined return, again and again and again... and 2) The target list of subscribers was typically white men over the age of 50 (in 2000) who had previously subscribed to one or more newsletters, whether through Agora or someone else. The industry sold each other their subscriber lists. This target list was not growing, rather it was shrinking as their base died...

On #1, we looked at the profitability metrics of their single property that had ongoing subscribers, year after year, a 'club' membership (the Oxford Club) with it's own brownstone 'club house' and image, but really just an investment network for those wanting to collectively invest in real estate and private companies, etc. all with the notion that collective investment insights were valuable. This group actually provided good service and a decent 'product' and was way more profitable than the other newsletters. We demonstrated that if they just managed to answer the phone reliably at the other newsletters they could increase their customer retention year over year at the other properties by 50%...at nominal cost in comparison to all the mailings and pitches etc, double profits etc...nah, they didn't like that one. That required actual management. (They did subsequently hire a new operations VP who did improve some aspects of service, but who grew frustrated with anarchy culture and left).

on #2, we asked what they knew about the internet...yikes, the internet was a 'bubble' that would disappear shortly, and they didn't just mean valuations, they simply didn't believe the internet had any staying power. We argued that they could dramatically increase their reach and at much lower cost, and that the same dynamics of customer acquisition could apply...this was pooh poohed too...but a few months later the founder started writing a daily set of musings on the market and the world, The Daily Reckoning, which he provide free to anyone who signed up. Within a couple of years, they'd totally transformed to online, now a $500+ million business. Ridiculously profitable.

In our short, but well paid consultant role, we got to know a bit more about the internal culture, the resistance to any sort of operational or HR oversight, an embrace of 'anarchy' as a management philosophy, so it's not surprising that some aspects went badly awry. Deep pockets to fight legal fights. Quite a business, but definitely with its flaws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Agora
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm Think 'investment' not 'expense' and smart, efficient spending can actually be 'conservative'.
Precisely! Like you I'm a post WWII Republican. Pity we don't have any of them to vote for anymore, eh?
darn few, for sure.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am
darn few, for sure.
So you like Trump now? Much of what you read here is in his cross hairs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am
darn few, for sure.
you've lost me with that point.

Trump has enacted tariffs ala what caused the Great Depression, rejected international multilateral agreements on trade, and law, and human rights...Trump has been virulently anti-immigrant, nativist, and so much more that in no way would reflect an Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Kemp view of the world, or even a Reagan, Bush view.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:56 am
darn few, for sure.
you've lost me with that point.

Trump has enacted tariffs ala what caused the Great Depression, rejected international multilateral agreements on trade, and law, and human rights...Trump has been virulently anti-immigrant, nativist, and so much more that in no way would reflect an Eisenhower, Rockefeller, Kemp view of the world, or even a Reagan, Bush view.
Of course you glossed over the industrial investment in the rebuilding post war portion....to which I was referring and you and afan agreed.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”