W&L 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: W&L 2020

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Scrimmage with Bucknell and I’d assume non starters, freshman and sophomores from UVa will be interesting. If nothing else the takeaway may be inspiration as to how high a bar you might set for yourself to become a better player. Watching high level lax is one thing getting an opportunity to test yourself against better players can lead to some self reflection and recognition as to how high the bar is if you want to get your game to that next level. As a goalie I’d be prepped for shots that you just normally don’t see everyday on the D3 level. All these guys can bring the heat. Initially the speed of the game I think will come as big of a surprise, everything will be at a faster tempo. The boys may hold their own as the day progresses, the competition will help to raise the level of their game as they adjust to the speed of play. This scrimmage followed by Stevenson should have them game ready for York......#6 is a key number for the Generals,not the player but the number of games that were decided by two goals or less last season. Almost 30% of their games were decided by two goals or less, the margin for error is not great. They need to do the little things well.
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

W&L 5 Bucknell 4
UVA 11 W&L 4

First thoughts, happy with the performance against Bucknell but the Gennies missed multiple dunks on the crease. Versus UVA, first half was 4-3 Generals but then we got torched in transition for a few goals and didn’t catch up.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Mulholland play or is he still out. Who were starters on attack and D ? Very respectable
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

Mulholland is back. Had a nice goal or two.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

I thought W&L had a good showing Sunday. In the Bucknell game the speed of the game seemed to take a bit to get used to. Once they adjusted W&L was the better team against Buck's Frosh and Sophs. UVa was even more of a test becuase not only is UVA a better team but they played a few kids who are legitimate players on their 1st and 2nd line. W&L hung very tough until about 3 min into the 2nd quarter when UVa called a timeout and after that ran away. The biggest difference was the size differential. Buck and UVa were physically larger across the board.

I thought offensively W&L got some quality shots off against both teams. While the opportunities were quality there were too many shots that either missed (including a couple of point blanks) or were stick side high. Defensively they looked pretty solid, especially in light of all the new faces. With only 6 days of practices under their belts I think its hard not to be happy with what you saw.
mandown

Post by mandown »

The Generals really played really well vs The Bison, and they played pretty well vs The Hoos. Hoos are deeper, faster, and bigger, but the Generals hung tough. Loved seeing the upgrade at SSDM with Garrett Cannon. Hamill and Mulholland looked strong. “Mole” had a beautiful no look skip pass through the teeth of the UVA defense to a Gennie attack for a dunk. Even a UVA Dad said it was a thing of beauty! Jack Taylor and Matt Lanigan looked good in the goal. Matt was very active. Great to see the Generals playing Bucknell and UVA in the pre-season instead of those weak D II teams. Hope this trend continues in future years. Fun day of lacrosse and great weather!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Cannon is an exceptional athlete and player. Playing him at ssdm is an excellent move considering the depth at midfield. Considering the offensive production he’s had in the past I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get 10-15 points in this role anyway. Can see him starting the break and gaining those hockey assists as well. Great utilization of the talent W&L has . It will be interesting to see the development of the team without their first team All American attackman from last year. I would have felt a lot better about it if Mize was back... The good news is Hodgson and Londrey return and are perhaps the potential MVP’s of the team this year. One could argue that case could have been made the past 3 years, the new individual and team scoring record was achieved in part due to #42’s 67% career win rate during the past 3 years, they were at least mutually supportive. To put a finer point on it last year W&L was 2 and 4 in games decided by 2 goals or less. These were the York,Denison,Gettysburg and Lynchburg games. Against Lynchburg in two games,Hodgson was won 30 out of 41 face offs and yet both wins were by a goal, imagine if he only won 50% or even 60% the outcomes would have been different. Hodgson and Londrey kept it close enough to win both the Denison and Gettysburg games by winning 20 of 30 and 19 of 30 face offs respectively in those games. They totally dominated, if they hadn’t W&L would not have been in a position to possibly win those games in the 4th qtr.... Hodgson and Londrey are my picks for MVP this year, by dominating at the dot they allow W&L to potentially be in any game late in the 4th qtr with a chance to win .
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Dehuntshigwa’es

Looks like a solid freshman group, looking to see who may emerge like a Mize or Mulholland in their freshman years. I’m assuming Marsh and Mize are out for the season, Mize had an ACL I believe anyone know Marsh’s status, solid player. It’s two seasons in a row that W&L has lost their most promising players of the younger classes to injury. Listing 5 goalies but only 3 lsm’s, I thought a goalie ( Atkins) was switching to LSM, only 3 is light. Got to admit I’d like the sight of Kriss 6’ 6” and Schnorr 6’7” double crease just for kicks, not that easy to match up with that combo.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 pm Looks like a solid freshman group, looking to see who may emerge like a Mize or Mulholland in their freshman years. I’m assuming Marsh and Mize are out for the season, Mize had an ACL I believe anyone know Marsh’s status, solid player. It’s two seasons in a row that W&L has lost their most promising players of the younger classes to injury. Listing 5 goalies but only 3 lsm’s, I thought a goalie ( Atkins) was switching to LSM, only 3 is light
Where did you hear about Atkins switching?

On another note, had a chance to watch freshman Hudson Porkonoy's highlights from 2018 and they were extremely impressive. Under the very reasonable assumption that he has continued to develop as a player I can see him getting some minutes this year. His roster says he will "compete for significant playing time." Interested to see if he gets any minutes early on in the season, as the team tends to run more attackman in the first few weeks while they figure out the best combination for the unit.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Zonesurgeon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 pm Looks like a solid freshman group, looking to see who may emerge like a Mize or Mulholland in their freshman years. I’m assuming Marsh and Mize are out for the season, Mize had an ACL I believe anyone know Marsh’s status, solid player. It’s two seasons in a row that W&L has lost their most promising players of the younger classes to injury. Listing 5 goalies but only 3 lsm’s, I thought a goalie ( Atkins) was switching to LSM, only 3 is light
Where did you hear about Atkins switching?

On another note, had a chance to watch freshman Hudson Porkonoy's highlights from 2018 and they were extremely impressive. Under the very reasonable assumption that he has continued to develop as a player I can see him getting some minutes this year. His roster says he will "compete for significant playing time." Interested to see if he gets any minutes early on in the season, as the team tends to run more attackman in the first few weeks while they figure out the best combination for the unit.
NJxrdad referred to it in an earlier post, said Cannon would play as a ssdm as well. I could see Cannon in that role. No idea if Atkins is a fit
dingdongdman

Post by dingdongdman »

I agree, good crop of freshmen. Lots of talent and young players looking to prove themselves so hopefully it pushes the upper classmen to work harder. Big scrimmage this weekend with Stevenson. Saw that Stevenson is pre-season ranked in the top 20 (IL #19, Nike/USLax #14, USILA Coach Poll #18) as well so will be the first real test before York. Looking for the Gennies to come out on top by a few goals but we shall see!
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Witherall and Pokorny both were a bit banged up in the last scrimmage but I don't think either are expected to miss any time. Team appears well stocked with talent. People may be thinking the Gennies will be down without AJ..they may be very surprised
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:03 pm Witherall and Pokorny both were a bit banged up in the last scrimmage but I don't think either are expected to miss any time. Team appears well stocked with talent. People may be thinking the Gennies will be down without AJ..they may be very surprised
Earlier you posted Atkins was switching to Lsm and Cannon was going to be used as a ssdm, does this still hold true
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

I didn't mention Cannon, there was another A who moved to ssdm, maybe someone else mentioned him?
Atkins played LSM in the intra squad in the fall and they only had 3 goalies dressed v UVA and he was not one so I assume that still holds true.

I'm surprised that only Hamil and Hodgson got any mention in the pre-seaon AA
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:19 am I didn't mention Cannon, there was another A who moved to ssdm, maybe someone else mentioned him?
Atkins played LSM in the intra squad in the fall and they only had 3 goalies dressed v UVA and he was not one so I assume that still holds true.

I'm surprised that only Hamil and Hodgson got any mention in the pre-seaon AA
Yes you mentioned Atkins He is listed as a LSM, I misquoted you on Cannon you named Daskalakis he is shown as a M. Other than O’Hara the other 3 LSM’s are essentially freshman in terms of experience. Maita missed last year due to injury, you have a listed freshman and Atkins is a jr who never played a position other than goalie, played football in high school so probably pretty athletic. Generals had a talented freshman, at LSM a year or two ago, could have added some depth or maybe start... Lots of ? marks at LSM and on D, hopefully between Hodgson and the O they can give the D enough time in the early part of the season to grow up. Who’s playing X in today’s scrimmage on attack with Mize out? Anyone aware of what happened to Cooney, pretty hard shooter, Herndon played as a Soph,I think would have been a sr pretty good player no longer playing
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Gennies tied today 5-5 start of 3rd. Interesting combos McCabe is trying.

valaxfan
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Atkins was at LSM v Stevenson
Cannon hurt and DNP
Slow start for the Gennies lost 1st Q 5-1 then stormed back and won 2nd Q 5-1
I think W&L won the overall by 1 or 2
Dehuntshigwa’es

Turn the page, lots of work to be done before Denison. #17 should be playing on the EMO unit, someone else should sit, great target on the crease with all that space
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jakes

Post by Jakes »

Is the younger Witherall anywhere near the same level as his older brother? Big shoes to fill, just wondering what to expect from him.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”