Would BC have at least one national title with a different coach?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: Would BC have at least one national title with a different coach?

Post by wlaxnut »

Maryland wasn’t impeded when they played their de-facto away game at Gillette for the title win over BC in ‘17. Not giving you that one.

Please, with the refs.

How about Maryland’s suffocating defense for one of the things working against the Eagles that day?
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

Ah perhaps you dont understand the BC fan demo. We are a small private school that draws from all across the East Coast and recently nationally. We have little to no "Subway Alum" support in Boston. In fact there is a loathing of the school.locally since we draw a lot from.NY / CT NJ. MD is a state school.with state backing and huge support. The crowds showed that on.Memorial Day Sunday.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

This is back on the table. If BC wins, this question gets answered. If not, and more especially if Syracuse rolls, it gets piled on to the rep that coach can't win/coach the big one. We shall see...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:14 am This is back on the table. If BC wins, this question gets answered. If not, and more especially if Syracuse rolls, it gets piled on to the rep that coach can't win/coach the big one. We shall see...
Even if BC loses, AWW has established -- through this year's body of work more than any other year -- that she is among the 3 or 4 really elite coaching minds in the game. BC's defense alone tells the tale. A walk-on who had never started before this year; a sophomore in Schleicher, and two freshmen in Scales and Roman as her back four, with sophomores and a freshman making up the midfield defense, in the most competitive conference in the sport -- all transformed into an elite defensive unit over the course of three months. The only thing back on the table is your desire to fit coaches and teams into special categories for criticism. If not for Gait's work this year, overcoming the loss of three starters and two Tewaarton candidates, AWW is the coach of the year.
Last edited by seacoaster on Sat May 29, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:26 am
Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:14 am This is back on the table. If BC wins, this question gets answered. If not, and more especially if Syracuse rolls, it gets piled on to the rep that coach can't win/coach the big one. We shall see...
Even if BC loses, AWW has established -- through this year's body of work more than any other year -- that she is among the 3 or 4 really elite coaching minds in the game. BC's defense alone tells the tail. A walk-on who had never started before this year; a sophomore in Schleicher, and two freshmen in Scales and Roman as her back four, with sophomores and a freshman making up the midfield defense, in the most competitive conference in the sport -- all transformed into an elite defensive unit over the course of three months. The only thing back on the table is your desire to fit coaches and teams into special categories for criticism. If not for Gait's work this year, overcoming the loss of three starters and two Tewaarton candidates, AWW is the coach of the year.
Could not have said it better. This notion that AWW is not an elite coach is pure bunk. She and her staff are among the best in D1. The difficulty in making the finals once, let alone 4 times in a row, is immense. Just ask the UNC coaching staff, whom I also think is exceptional, about that difficulty.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree as well.
Oh, and Dan Marino wasn't an elite QB.
While we're at it, Pistol Pete wasn't an elite basketball player either.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Great is one category--elite is another. You want to be included in the pantheon of The Elite? Gotta bring some hardware to the entrance gate for admission. Nothing Elite about Marv Levy, Dan Marino or Pistol Pete. No hardware--no elite status. And what're you griping about? What's wrong with great?
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am Great is one category--elite is another. You want to be included in the pantheon of The Elite? Gotta bring some hardware to the entrance gate for admission. Nothing Elite about Marv Levy, Dan Marino or Pistol Pete. No hardware--no elite status. And what're you griping about? What's wrong with great?
Sorry mate, that is a load of cr@p. Two in the HOF for football? Not elite? A HOF basket ball player that was also on the 50th anniversary team? Not elite? They must hand out those HOF spots to any Dan, Marv and Pete.

This take that AWW is not an elite coach is absurd. Or by that measure GG is not an elite coach would be equally absurd. I guess we can now remove one of your two elite coaches from that list because her team, the team of the Century...a super team, lost?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cletus wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:29 am Great is one category--elite is another. You want to be included in the pantheon of The Elite? Gotta bring some hardware to the entrance gate for admission. Nothing Elite about Marv Levy, Dan Marino or Pistol Pete. No hardware--no elite status. And what're you griping about? What's wrong with great?
Right, that's why Pistol Pete and Dan don't live among the immortal elites in their respective Halls Of Fame. Oh wait, they do, just not in your book.
Eli Manning is elite X 2 in comparison to Marino in your book.
That pretty much epitomizes how ridiculous your thinking is here.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I assume this is nothing but trolling by laxnut/cletus. But I'l take the bait - Pistol Pete was easily, i mean easily one of the top 10 players of all time. If you don't know that I can't help you.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I don't consider the Hall of Fame to be an accurate barometer to distinguish between who is elite and who is great or just very good.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Your book, your rules however asinine.
Doug Williams elite, Marino not.
Rob Pannell not elite despite winning the Tewaaraton.
deGrom's not an elite pitcher.
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:32 am I assume this is nothing but trolling by laxnut/cletus. But I'l take the bait - Pistol Pete was easily, i mean easily one of the top 10 players of all time. If you don't know that I can't help you.
Was he your cousin? :lol:

Here’s a list of better players off the top of my head: Wilt, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, Kareem, Oscar, Magic, Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone, Jerry West, Hakeem Olajuwon.

Those are the ones who inarguably are better.

There are lots and lots of others who arguably are better.

Pete was a great shooter and scorer. He was a lot of fun to watch to be sure. Don’t recall that he played much defense.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:23 pm
8meterPA wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:32 am I assume this is nothing but trolling by laxnut/cletus. But I'l take the bait - Pistol Pete was easily, i mean easily one of the top 10 players of all time. If you don't know that I can't help you.
Was he your cousin? :lol:

Here’s a list of better players off the top of my head: Wilt, Jordan, Kobe, LeBron, Bird, Kareem, Oscar, Magic, Elgin Baylor, Karl Malone, Jerry West, Hakeem Olajuwon.

Those are the ones who inarguably are better.

There are lots and lots of others who arguably are better.

Pete was a great shooter and scorer. He was a lot of fun to watch to be sure. Don’t recall that he played much defense.
Elgin Baylor said he was the best player he ever played against. Pistol changed the game.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well if he really said that, he is dead wrong. Baylor played against Wilt who is the greatest player of all time.

Elgin and Pete only overlapped a couple of years at most so something about that quote seems off to me. Maybe he means he was the toughest to defend (at the very end of his career). Others have said similar things about Earl Monroe.

Pete was a great player, but not nearly in the top 10 all time.

How did he change the game?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm Well if he really said that, he is dead wrong. Baylor played against Wilt who is the greatest player of all time.

Elgin and Pete only overlapped a couple of years at most so something about that quote seems off to me. Maybe he means he was the toughest to defend (at the very end of his career). Others have said similar things about Earl Monroe.

Pete was a great player, but not nearly in the top 10 all time.

How did he change the game?
here's the exact quote - (Oscar) Robertson was the best guard I ever played against, Jerry West was the best I ever played with, and Pete is the best I’ve ever seen.” – Elgin Baylor

as far as how he changed the game - his ball handling, passing, and creativity - way before his time. He knew how to score. He was actually resented for a while because he was "too flashy" - can you imagine.

It's a shame he only played for 10 years and the last couple weren't up to his caliber because of his knees. He was also on horrible teams and before the 3 point shot was established.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, Baylor must’ve had his eyes closed when he played against Wilt.

I don’t think anybody on the planet would say Pistol Pete was better than Wilt.

Yes, Pete was one of the first of the flashy guards.

Great player, to be sure, just not top 10 in my book.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Bart wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:36 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:26 am
Even if BC loses, AWW has established -- through this year's body of work more than any other year -- that she is among the 3 or 4 really elite coaching minds in the game. BC's defense alone tells the tail. A walk-on who had never started before this year; a sophomore in Schleicher, and two freshmen in Scales and Roman as her back four, with sophomores and a freshman making up the midfield defense, in the most competitive conference in the sport -- all transformed into an elite defensive unit over the course of three months. The only thing back on the table is your desire to fit coaches and teams into special categories for criticism. If not for Gait's work this year, overcoming the loss of three starters and two Tewaarton candidates, AWW is the coach of the year.
Could not have said it better. This notion that AWW is not an elite coach is pure bunk. She and her staff are among the best in D1. The difficulty in making the finals once, let alone 4 times in a row, is immense. Just ask the UNC coaching staff, whom I also think is exceptional, about that difficulty.

Well said

Before AWW took over at BC in 2012 they never finished higher than the bottom 3 in the conference.
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Sat May 29, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:29 pm Well, Baylor must’ve had his eyes closed when he played against Wilt.

I don’t think anybody on the planet would say Pistol Pete was better than Wilt.

Yes, Pete was one of the first of the flashy guards.

Great player, to be sure, just not top 10 in my book.
don't make me send you videos!! he was one of those sports idols that I latched onto growing up and recently read a few of his biographies - if you like sports biographies he had a heck of an interesting life and a tragic ending.

I think the quote is about guards - so not comparing a center vs. guard, wilt vs. pete
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ah, guards would make a lot more sense.

I remember very well when he burst onto the scene in college. He was quite the phenomenon.

Also remember when he died. Absolutely shocking.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”