UNC
1%
Other
2%

Total votes: 103

blue angels

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open through July 12th

Post by blue angels »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am (should have posted this here)

Had a few ideas last night regarding transfers. For clarity of argument sake, let's say Chase Scanlan transfers from Loyola to Syracuse.

If a team loses a high caliber player (in this case, Loyola), a couple evening options (you only get to take one though):

1. with no penalty whatsoever, Loyola staff and coaches are allowed to approach any player on Syracuse for one year and attempt to recruit any player away from that team
2. if these two teams play any of the years while this transfer is an enrolled student, Loyola starts the game against Syracuse with a 2-goal lead.
3. Syracuse must pay the equivalent in dollars that Loyola had to spend on recruiting the kid in the first place, plus his first year's room, board, and tuition: let's call it a minimum of $75,000

:idea:

;)
I can't tell if you are actually serious or not with some of your hot takes.....You do realize that Loyola has been quite the beneficiary of poached players and transfers over the years? Mcgovern-UNC, PrideMore and Milhouse-UVA, etc.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

^Brian Sherlock transferred in as well. Loyola has done pretty well with transfers.
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am And as far as diversity goes, I would guess Loyola is more diverse than most:
High School Information
Catholic 27%
Jesuit 6%
Private 9%
Public 55%
Other (including home-schooled) 3%
Though I would have preferred to label Catholic as "non-Jesuit Catholic", but my wife probably approves the break-down as-is.
Loyola has by far the least racially diverse student population of the schools Scanlan is said to be considering.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am (should have posted this here)

Had a few ideas last night regarding transfers. For clarity of argument sake, let's say Chase Scanlan transfers from Loyola to Syracuse.

If a team loses a high caliber player (in this case, Loyola), a couple evening options (you only get to take one though):

1. with no penalty whatsoever, Loyola staff and coaches are allowed to approach any player on Syracuse for one year and attempt to recruit any player away from that team
2. if these two teams play any of the years while this transfer is an enrolled student, Loyola starts the game against Syracuse with a 2-goal lead.
3. Syracuse must pay the equivalent in dollars that Loyola had to spend on recruiting the kid in the first place, plus his first year's room, board, and tuition: let's call it a minimum of $75,000

:idea:

;)
lol
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I'm kind of being facetious. Then again, hmu if you are on the NCAA rules committee!

Looking for some lax banter before we start analyzing his announcement.

(also, well aware whom we have taken)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:11 am ^Brian Sherlock transferred in as well. Loyola has done pretty well with transfers.
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 am And as far as diversity goes, I would guess Loyola is more diverse than most:
High School Information
Catholic 27%
Jesuit 6%
Private 9%
Public 55%
Other (including home-schooled) 3%
Though I would have preferred to label Catholic as "non-Jesuit Catholic", but my wife probably approves the break-down as-is.
Loyola has by far the least racially diverse student population of the schools Scanlan is said to be considering.

That might be true, except Miss Shirley's is our home (I guess Alonso's too).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Scanlan update from Xanders:
Just caught up with Chase Scanlan, who is in Baltimore today. He said he's down to Hopkins, Virginia, Cornell and Syracuse with plans to commit by Sunday. An update from earlier in the week, having eliminated Penn St. & Maryland since then
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... 5087546369

Maryland out, Cuse back in?

Come on Chase, you know you'd look good in blue.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:06 am Scanlan update from Xanders:
Just caught up with Chase Scanlan, who is in Baltimore today. He said he's down to Hopkins, Virginia, Cornell and Syracuse with plans to commit by Sunday. An update from earlier in the week, having eliminated Penn St. & Maryland since then
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... 5087546369

Maryland out, Cuse back in?

Come on Chase, you know you'd look good in blue.

I think it's between UVA and Cuse. I don't know how the earlier de-commit from Cuse plays a role here, possibly leaving UVA alone in the driver's seat? But UVA simply does not need the kid. UVA is stacked at every position; I'm not sure what Lars would even do with a transfer at this stage. There's a chance he doesn't even play that much there. Or if he does go, surely other Hoos will bolt.

Cornell is a grind of a school...maybe Teat will convince him to come over? I just don't think Cornell has any shot a NC over the next 3 years, is my hesitation on them.

I'll agree with you HopFan16; if he wanted to make a splash and be incredibly well-received, Hopkins would be the place of those four schools. If the decommit from Cuse is a non-factor, I'll stick to my original gun and say 'Cuse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

not sure why you would think if a middie cames in via transfer at virginia, multiple players would leave. do you believe that's the case everywhere else, too?
at virginia and many other schools, players know they are competing for spots, even their own, every year. at uva supposedly it's every week. he would not be the first transfer at virginia. or even lars'.
there's a chance he doesn't play much? he may have just had the second most points ever by a freshman middie at high division 1, and the most goals. someone correct me if they can think of someone else. their depth would be scary.
wherever scanlon lands, he's playing. at syracuse, a good chance that would be at attack.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 am not sure why you would think if a middie cames in via transfer at virginia, multiple players would leave. do you believe that's the case everywhere else, too?
at virginia and many other schools, players know they are competing for spots, even their own, every year. at uva supposedly it's every week. he would not be the first transfer at virginia. or even lars'.
there's a chance he doesn't play much? he may have just had the second most points ever by a freshman middie at high division 1, and the most goals. someone correct me if they can think of someone else. their depth would be scary.
wherever scanlon lands, he's playing. at syracuse, a good chance that would be at attack.

I'm no UVA expert (by any means), but my impression is they are 'over'-loaded at this stage with talent, especially at middie and attack (and they were over-loaded at goalie as well until Burkinshaw departed).

1. Incoming freshmen class is again relatively deep; just look at two middies, Garno and Brennfleck. I mean, these two alone would find starting roles on most D1 teams next year. All you lost last year at middie was Conrad, correct? Plus, on attack, Dickson is waiting to play (imo, superstar), with Shellenberger (#1 recruit again to UVA) coming in, and again, you only lost one player (Herring)...you tell me where everyone is supposed to play? I don't see many openings.

2. Chase is not a typical middie nor attackman. I saw most Loyola games last year. He was generally hanging out low left side, a hybrid attackman if you will. UVA's offense to me seemed Kraus/Moore/Herring from behind, Laviano as garbage goal guy, or Aitken up top (occasionally Conrad).

Say what you want about these transfers, but most do not transfer in where their role is not easily defined, where they are REALLY wanted by teammates, and where there is zero doubt they will play/start. Obviously Chase will play...but by playing, someone else sits and that someone is probably a starter on other D1 teams. Kids want to play, not sit. I'd expect movement if UVA is his choice.
wahoomurf

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open until a decision or July 12th

Post by wahoomurf »

blue angels:...cacan't tell if you are actually serious or not with some of your hot takes.....You do realize that Loyola has been quite the beneficiary of poached players and transfers over the years? Mcgovern-UNC, PrideMore and Milhouse-UVA, etc
After Duke screwed him over royally, Collin Finnerty found a welcome home at Loyola. Shelter and comfort are key precepts of Jesuit Spirituality.

CUE EMMA LAZARUS'S "NEW COLOSSUS".
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:15 pm
blue angels:...cacan't tell if you are actually serious or not with some of your hot takes.....You do realize that Loyola has been quite the beneficiary of poached players and transfers over the years? Mcgovern-UNC, PrideMore and Milhouse-UVA, etc
After Duke screwed him over royally, Collin Finnerty found a welcome home at Loyola. Shelter and comfort are key precepts of Jesuit Spirituality.

CUE EMMA LAZARUS'S "NEW COLOSSUS".

Indeed.

BTW, Colin is the greatest! He was so unbelievably nice to a younger relative of mine, giving him some excellent lacrosse pointers, but also and more interestingly, telling my relative how life is not always a linear line and just stick to your values. Awesome young man. I'd give a whole team for one of him. I hope he's is doing great in life these days!
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:35 am not sure why you would think if a middie cames in via transfer at virginia, multiple players would leave. do you believe that's the case everywhere else, too?

I'm no UVA expert (by any means), but my impression is they are 'over'-loaded at this stage with talent, especially at middie and attack (and they were over-loaded at goalie as well until Burkinshaw departed).

1. Incoming freshmen class is again relatively deep; just look at two middies, Garno and Brennfleck. I mean, these two alone would find starting roles on most D1 teams next year. All you lost last year at middie was Conrad, correct? Plus, on attack, Dickson is waiting to play (imo, superstar), with Shellenberger (#1 recruit again to UVA) coming in, and again, you only lost one player (Herring)...you tell me where everyone is supposed to play? I don't see many openings.

2. Chase is not a typical middie nor attackman. I saw most Loyola games last year. He was generally hanging out low left side, a hybrid attackman if you will. UVA's offense to me seemed Kraus/Moore/Herring from behind, Laviano as garbage goal guy, or Aitken up top (occasionally Conrad).

Say what you want about these transfers, but most do not transfer in where their role is not easily defined, where they are REALLY wanted by teammates, and where there is zero doubt they will play/start. Obviously Chase will play...but by playing, someone else sits and that someone is probably a starter on other D1 teams. Kids want to play, not sit. I'd expect movement if UVA is his choice.
The only two mainstays at midfield were Dox Aitken and Ryan Conrad. The third spot was a mix of Herring, Lamb, and several freshmen and sophomores. Conrad, Herring, and Lamb have graduated. So I would think there's plenty of room for Scanlan to join. Dickson plays attack. So it seems more like Aitken in one middie spot and then there's two available spots with plenty of playing time to earn.

The incoming class with Garno and Brennfleck will have to earn their time, just like the incoming classes before them filled with stars like Jeff Conner who was ranked the #2 middie in his class, or Jack Simmons, the #10 middie.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm

I obviously would like him to pick Hopkins over Virginia but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. What concern is it of Scanlan's if someone else on the roster departs after he comes in? I agree that it's a possibility—they have a stacked offense and for someone hoping to get some time next year or in the near future, Scanlan presents another large obstacle. That's the kind of guy who might look for opportunities elsewhere—the fringe starter hoping to make an impact—not any of their top guys. If they bring in Scanlan, he's going to play. And if they think the team is better with him than without him and he's a good fit for the locker room, they're going to try to bring him in. I do think there could be something to the argument that they shouldn't tempt fate and mess with the chemistry of a team that just won the national championship by bringing in a star from the outside, but I'm not sure that's what you're arguing.

Anyway, won't have this problem at Hopkins! He'd either be anchoring the first midfield or playing on an attack with Joey Epstein for the next three years.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this ^^^.
i really don't see how uva is any different than anywhere else. when a transfer comes in, and he gets on the field, there was someone that thought they may be playing in that spot. why that someone is any different at xyz (wasn't playing before, got beaten out), i don't know.
is it because they had high ratings in high school?
some of the guys we;ve listed on various pages all scream potential, sure.
doesn't loyola... and hopkins.... and whomever bring in good players from high school?

if you don't or can't get pt, and you want to leave virginia and the team as a result of that --- that's cool, but i doubt it'll impact the program. there have been transfers for decades. i personally never saw or spoke about any different treatment of them because they came in that way vs. being recruited in 9th grade. they were part of the team. immediately.

as gatsby says, they were pretty damn young last year. everywhere. ssdm will lose a couple seniors, but they had a bunch.

after next year, aitken and krause graduate -- and moore and laviano might be the only 2 seniors with heavy pt at the offensive end. possibly the walk on peele. most of the other guys were freshmen, like scanlon. not sophomores.
so shellenberger, conner, simmons, cormier, dickson, maybe salade (but probably stays at ssdm), these other new guys --- will all be sophs or juniors in 2021. scanlon would be a junior.

in any event, unlike the gray situation -- where you'd be looking at displacing not only a starter (with only 3 spots at attack), but a member of a successful group... conrad gone, along with herring... there is a spot. and actually 2 as the 3rd man in was really rotating... they're not guaranteed or reserved for anybody.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Believe Xanders updated his store. Sounds like Hopkins, UVA and maybe Cuse
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:15 pm this ^^^.
i really don't see how uva is any different than anywhere else. when a transfer comes in, and he gets on the field, there was someone that thought they may be playing in that spot. why that someone is any different at xyz (wasn't playing before, got beaten out), i don't know.
is it because they had high ratings in high school?
some of the guys we;ve listed on various pages all scream potential, sure.
doesn't loyola... and hopkins.... and whomever bring in good players from high school?

if you don't or can't get pt, and you want to leave virginia and the team as a result of that --- that's cool, but i doubt it'll impact the program. there have been transfers for decades. i personally never saw or spoke about any different treatment of them because they came in that way vs. being recruited in 9th grade. they were part of the team. immediately.

as gatsby says, they were pretty damn young last year. everywhere. ssdm will lose a couple seniors, but they had a bunch.

after next year, aitken and krause graduate -- and moore and laviano might be the only 2 seniors with heavy pt at the offensive end. possibly the walk on peele. most of the other guys were freshmen, like scanlon. not sophomores.
so shellenberger, conner, simmons, cormier, dickson, maybe salade (but probably stays at ssdm), these other new guys --- will all be sophs or juniors in 2021. scanlon would be a junior.

in any event, unlike the gray situation -- where you'd be looking at displacing not only a starter (with only 3 spots at attack), but a member of a successful group... conrad gone, along with herring... there is a spot. and actually 2 as the 3rd man in was really rotating... they're not guaranteed or reserved for anybody.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, at least no more so than harmless internet banter. My hesitation to full agreement is this: there's an art to not wildly overstocking your team, and I think (take it as a compliment) that the cupboard is more than full already at UVA.

If a player is a very capable D1-capable lax talent, but his new role is to sit behind a starter or a transfer he thinks he's better than or equal to (but the coach doesn't), it shouldn't come as a shock that some kids will want to move along from that scene and not play second fiddle for 3-4 years. That's especially true for the most competitive kids. If Scanlan comes to UVA, one of those two open slots just got taken similar in many respects to when a PG lands at a boarding school: they're not the ones who will sit. You can say Chase needs to "earn" the spot, but we all know that's not true, short of a really bad attitude. Chase gets 1 of the 2 openings, regardless, and that is the hard truth. It's skill, but it's also elementary calculus on the coach's part that no one would ever come to him again if he takes transfers then they sit.

That leaves a lot of mouths to feed with just the one open UVA spot after Chase.

When looking at UVA's squad (which I did for the first time five minutes ago), there are some kids I've seen play who were absolute big-time ballers in HS who really didn't see the field for UVA much this season, but likely would at other D1 schools. Kids like Regan Quinn and Hall Peters (I had no idea they were even at UVA!). I'd bet if I analyzed the roster even more, I'd find similar quality lax players who found themselves in similar situations as Regan and Hall.

Would UVA be great for Chase? Absolutely. But of all the colleges out there, I just feel that this is the one college where his arrival will mean someone else ultimately leaves; that's not true for any other team I can imagine. If you can't see the field and you feel like you can play, 4 years goes by in the blink of an eye. No one would blame a soul for thinking of alternative venues.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 pm
Would UVA be great for Chase? Absolutely. But of all the colleges out there, I just feel that this is the one college where his arrival will mean someone else ultimately leaves; that's not true for any other team I can imagine. If you can't see the field and you feel like you can play, 4 years goes by in the blink of an eye. No one would blame a soul for thinking of alternative venues.
Probably be true at Maryland also.
Live Free or Die!
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:40 pm Believe Xanders updated his store. Sounds like Hopkins, UVA and maybe Cuse
Looks like the update just says he narrowed it down to Cornell Hopkins UVA and Cuse. No longer a "maybe" tag on Cuse but he said they were a maybe in the initial story before the update. Did you read somewhere that Cornell was out of the mix?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pb,
i do get your point, but i just don't see it that way.
they're not worldbeaters, yet.
i like a number of those guys that weren't 1 or 1A. but at no point did i say we gotta get this guy the ball, too. or he needs to be in there. they all had some opportunities, some more limited than others. no one jumped off the page. that's understandable, there was an offense built around some very good players, and the group mixing in or sitting were primarily young.
they'll have their chance. it got played up, and maybe it's similar other places... but players were rated and re-rated after every practice. they had a chance to earn their way on the field, and knew where they stood.
the guy peele was a walk on (and another walk on started), and he impressed me as much as anyone. and earned more pt as the year went on.
not going to be overly concerned about guys that went for fewer (or a lot fewer) points in their senior year in high school than a guy in his freshman year in college. they, too, know it's a battle to get on the field at any school that's deep in talent.

virginia doesn't have even anywhere near the proven talent at midfield as several teams. syracuse will have 5 guys coming back that are proven players. penn state --- you'd think they'll never bring in another offensive guy until everybody graduates. duke always has stacks of guys. notre dame now, too. outside of costabile who'll still have one more year, they have a bunch of young players back that got some field time and produced when they did. denver has a bunch of young talent.

virginia, after the top 4 coming back, only 1 of them mids --- next in line are conner and dickson. conner scored 4 goals, and was on the field a bunch (he did have 10 assists). dickson did well when he was in there, but outside of 2 blowouts was 4 and 4. if a couple of all those guys are going to emerge, and they're probably going to need to, they'll be doing it from the same spot everyone is at now --- home plate, not third base. they'll have their chance.
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 pm If Scanlan comes to UVA, one of those two open slots just got taken similar in many respects to when a PG lands at a boarding school: they're not the ones who will sit. You can say Chase needs to "earn" the spot, but we all know that's not true, short of a really bad attitude. Chase gets 1 of the 2 openings, regardless, and that is the hard truth. It's skill, but it's also elementary calculus on the coach's part that no one would ever come to him again if he takes transfers then they sit.
that last part's crazy talk. if scanlon came and sat via performance (and a scenario i can't see short off-field or injury), that's his circumstance. you're pulling strawmen out of your hat on nothing but unprovable assumptions. young adults make their minds up on plenty of factors. whether chase scanlon played as a transfer would be way down the list, imo. if it was ever on it... but if a coach is factoring that unknowable in either direction he's way out of his element.

having supposed talent isn't new at uva. it hasn't been constant, but isn't new. over the years, they haven't suffered any kind of inordinate amount from transfers or bringing in new classes. roster size has always been low to mid 40s. are they supposed to bring in bad players so the guys that couldn't play last year can get on the field?
i'm biased, but it's also a tough to school to leave for another if the new one doesn't have the same allure outside the team.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Hmmmmm :o :? :? :?

I believe Chase can play any position he wants - he's that good. But he does play more to the left side as Peter Brown pointed out. And I believe he would earn a starting position on any theam he chooses. If it's down between UVA and Hopkins I hope he would choose Hopkins - they need the most help :lol: :lol: :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”