WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by wlaxnut »

I have written about the great deal that is BTN+ with or without subscription. I didn't realize BTN+ broadcast these 1st round games from The Tournament last year. They are still up and able to be viewed for free. Don't say I never gave you a good tip. 😉

https://www.btnplus.com/schedule?sid=WLX&day=2019-05-10

May 10 replays.png
May 10 replays.png (178.93 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
wlaxnut

Early returns

Post by wlaxnut »

Early on in the Duke/Gardner-Webb game being broadcast on ACCN. Very nice production. Camerawork is very good. The all important shot clock is included in the banner. The guy doing play-by-play/color is knowledgeable and refrains from hyperbole. The field mics could be louder. No replays. Overall 3 out of 4 stars. If this is a harbinger, we will be a happy bunch this year when tuning into the ACCN.
Dr. Tact

Re: Early returns

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:18 pm Early on in the Duke/Gardner-Webb game being broadcast on ACCN. Very nice production. Camerawork is very good. The all important shot clock is included in the banner. The guy doing play-by-play/color is knowledgeable and refrains from hyperbole. The field mics could be louder. No replays. Overall 3 out of 4 stars. If this is a harbinger, we will be a happy bunch this year when tuning into the ACCN.
Surprising that it is only 4-0. GW cant get a ground ball or a draw (got the first one)....goalie standing on her head
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:29 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:18 pm Early on in the Duke/Gardner-Webb game being broadcast on ACCN. Very nice production. Camerawork is very good. The all important shot clock is included in the banner. The guy doing play-by-play/color is knowledgeable and refrains from hyperbole. The field mics could be louder. No replays. Overall 3 out of 4 stars. If this is a harbinger, we will be a happy bunch this year when tuning into the ACCN.
Surprising that it is only 4-0. GW cant get a ground ball or a draw (got the first one)....goalie standing on her head
I figured it would be the case. The matchup isn't much more than a fall ball scrimmage. Seems like a few teams are starting the season with a warm up game: Northwestern, Syracuse, Maryland, Notre Dame, et al. Not your team though, Doc. Wow! The first 5 games are quite a test.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm I figured it would be the case. The matchup isn't much more than a fall ball scrimmage. Seems like a few teams are starting the season with a warm up game: Northwestern, Syracuse, Maryland, Notre Dame, et al. Not your team though, Doc. Wow! The first 5 games are quite a test.
Headed to the Charm city for a warmup game with the Hound Alumni tomorrow....Coach finally decided that opening with JHU without a previous game wasn't the best course...they have lost a few in a row :(

Next week will be the big "Battle of Charles Street/Charles Street Massacre" with a double header - Women before Men at the Ridley AC.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

15-2 at half....
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:57 pm
15-2 at half....
Ouch.
wlaxnut

Ohio State and BTN+ have some work to do

Post by wlaxnut »

As you can see, the broadcast was way below a decent standard. Blurry picture, way too far away, no score banner, no shot clock, and throw in some intermittent technical difficulties for good measure. Field mics were okay, announcer was good. They really need to tune up their camerawork and get an experienced person in there.

https://youtu.be/JV7cASWM_LI
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Watching ND vs Marquette,ND looks strong. ND broadcast commentator has me watching with the sound off.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Itsallgood wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:09 pm Watching ND vs Marquette,ND looks strong. ND broadcast commentator has me watching with the sound off.
How could you get past the brutal camera work? I tried watching that game for about 30 seconds.
wlaxnut

Duke Knows Broadcasts

Post by wlaxnut »

Just got finished watching the pristine production of Duke vs Northwestern. I have come to expect great broadcast production when Duke has a home game. Their camera work is great, field mics perfect level balanced with the level of the mics for the excellent broadcasting duo. Replays, shot clock in the banner, they get it all right every time. Too bad the other broadcasts out there are not the same, but at least we have excellent production crews not only at Duke, but Syracuse, Boston College is pretty good when they do a game, Maryland, Northwestern (when they're outside that is,) Michigan, etc.

I checked out the PLN production of Virginia at Navy earlier this morning. Everything was pretty good for the most part except the abysmal camera work. There's nothing worse than when the camera person moves the camera every time the ball is passed in the offensive zone. Brutal! And the replay department was also a mess. It amazes me that programs don't consider this a priority – to put experienced people behind the camera, not only on the field but back in the truck.
laxorangebookworm

Re: Duke Knows Broadcasts

Post by laxorangebookworm »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:14 pm Just got finished watching the pristine production of Duke vs Northwestern. I have come to expect great broadcast production when Duke has a home game. Their camera work is great, field mics perfect level balanced with the level of the mics for the excellent broadcasting duo. Replays, shot clock in the banner, they get it all right every time. Too bad the other broadcasts out there are not the same, but at least we have excellent production crews not only at Duke, but Syracuse, Boston College is pretty good when they do a game, Maryland, Northwestern (when they're outside that is,) Michigan, etc.

I checked out the PLN production of Virginia at Navy earlier this morning. Everything was pretty good for the most part except the abysmal camera work. There's nothing worse than when the camera person moves the camera every time the ball is passed in the offensive zone. Brutal! And the replay department was also a mess. It amazes me that programs don't consider this a priority – to put experienced people behind the camera, not only on the field but back in the truck.
Duke apaprently improved the broadcasting over the off season, because it was not so great last year. When they played North Carolina at the end of the year, the guy announcing it was atrocious.
wlaxnut

Re: Duke Knows Broadcasts

Post by wlaxnut »

laxorangebookworm wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:18 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:14 pm Just got finished watching the pristine production of Duke vs Northwestern. I have come to expect great broadcast production when Duke has a home game. Their camera work is great, field mics perfect level balanced with the level of the mics for the excellent broadcasting duo. Replays, shot clock in the banner, they get it all right every time. Too bad the other broadcasts out there are not the same, but at least we have excellent production crews not only at Duke, but Syracuse, Boston College is pretty good when they do a game, Maryland, Northwestern (when they're outside that is,) Michigan, etc.

Duke apaprently improved the broadcasting over the off season, because it was not so great last year. When they played North Carolina at the end of the year, the guy announcing it was atrocious.
They always have good camerawork though, and that, above all else, is key. If I don't like a commentator I can just turn the sound down.
totc

Post by totc »

Best broadcast was Maryland-Mason. They had a goalcam as well as a sideline reporter.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

totc wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm Best broadcast was Maryland-Mason. They had a goalcam as well as a sideline reporter.
What made it “best”?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

and the Cuse game is just starting....two dude commentators...not that there is anything wrong with that :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm and the Cuse game is just starting....two dude commentators...not that there is anything wrong with that :D
Okay, Seinfeld 😉
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:04 pm and the Cuse game is just starting....two dude commentators...not that there is anything wrong with that :D
Okay, Seinfeld 😉
:oops:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Two dude commentators who were/are beyond annoying.
Neither could wear Ms. Downunda's panties, she was sorely missed!!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”