Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: IMPEACHMENT (yes, it began with Mueller)

Post by seacoaster »

lagerhead wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 am Serious question seacoaster:

Why is it alright for a Senator, who has everything to gain politically by undermining the administration, to have private talks with a state leader but not the Administration. Did Murphy go around the State Department, will we know how this conversation was framed?

Zelensky appears to have had a different impression. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who spoke with Zelensky during an early September visit to Ukraine, said the Ukrainian president “directly” expressed concerns at their meeting that “the aid that was being cut off to Ukraine by the president was a consequence” of his unwillingness to launch an investigation into the Bidens, The Post reported.
Good question, and I am pretty sure I'm not qualified to answer it...but

I think it is pretty standard practice for members of Congress to travel abroad to areas of concern and to which the United States grants aid, including military assistance. I am certain this is a practice that members of both parties carry on -- we used to call these junkets. Here's a blog article on the more recent, and apparently accelerated, practice of traveling abroad:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/closer-look ... ign-travel

"On Monday, Paul Singer at USA Today reported new data on the burgeoning practice of congressional foreign travel. According to Singer, federal legislators spent more government funds venturing abroad in 2016 than any other year in the past decade, with roughly 40% of the trips costing over $10,000 each. The Senate Armed Services Committee spent more than any other, and the House Intelligence Committee experienced a big jump in expenses under the leadership of Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), who issued a directive for Committee members to “spend more time in the field.” These are important developments that suggest both the utility of what I’ve called “legislative diplomacy” and the risk of abuse as members of Congress engage in the practice with greater regularity. We also know, however, that the U.S. Government is not the only source of funding—members of Congress also rely on private sponsors. To name just one example, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) recently accepted sponsorship from a nonprofit organization in making a controversial trip to Syria, where she met with Bashar al-Assad.

Which raises the question: How much do we know about this separate domain of privately funded congressional foreign travel? More specifically, how common are non-governmental sponsorships? Has reliance on private sources become more or less common over time? Which members of Congress have participated? Where did they go? And who paid for it?

As it turns out, these questions are surprisingly easy to answer, at least with respect to the House of Representatives. House Rule 25 requires members and staff to file reports detailing any travel-related expenses reimbursed by a non-government source. Under Section 304 of the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007, the Office of the Clerk must publish the past six years worth of these reports online, so I simply downloaded them and aggregated the data. Here’s what they show:

[See Figure 1: Total Volume of Travel—House (Including Staff)]

As Figure 1 indicates, it’s extremely common for House members and staff to travel abroad on private funding. Since 2011, there have been over 4,000 of these trips, ranging from almost 500 in 2012 to nearly 1,000 in 2015. Virtually every office has been involved, with an average of one to two trips per office per year. It appears that the practice is less common during general election years, perhaps because legislators are busy campaigning. (For whatever reason, the same dip does not appear during the 2014 midterm elections.) It also appears that there was a slight trend toward more travel from 2011 to 2016. (The less-useful Senate Gift Rule Database suggests that private sponsorships are comparably voluminous in the Senate.)

First, while travel isn’t limited to one political party, a majority of the top ten (and top twenty) offices were those of Democrats. It’s unclear whether this represents a broader trend. It strikes me as potentially significant, however, that these offices led the way even during a period of consistent Republican majorities. Does this tell us something about minority parties (or Democrats)? It’s hard to say, but one possibility is that the minority, whether Republican or Democrat at any given time, relies upon private funding more frequently than the majority because of the Mutual Security Act of 1954, which conditions the availability of public funds on authorization from the Speaker of the House or the chairperson of a committee. On this hypothesis, private funding has been uniquely attractive to House Democrats in recent years because the alternative would force them to seek authorization from House Republicans, who have held exclusive power under the Act to permit the use of public funds.

Second, among the ten leading offices, privately funded travel doesn’t correlate with service on the Foreign Affairs Committee or Intelligence Committee. Among the most frequent flyers, Rep. Engel is the only one who’s currently a Foreign Affairs Committee member. Rep. Larsen serves on the Armed Services Committee, but none of the others has an obvious committee-based justification for frequent travel abroad. This raises questions about the utility of the practice, particularly when the fact of private sponsorship legally requires a non-official purpose. What, precisely, are members and staff getting out of all this? I’m open to the possibility that going abroad is worthwhile even for those who don’t serve on a committee with jurisdiction over foreign affairs, but it’s hard to say definitively on the current state of the evidence."

The author concludes as follows:

"In the end, the evidence reinforces the need for critical inquiry with respect to the contemporary practice of legislative diplomacy. With an apparent boom in both publicly and privately funded travel, it’s worth considering whether the current patterns are defensible: Are the top destinations reflective of U.S. national interests, or merely the result of uncoordinated, ad hoc, individual decisions that defy a systemic logic? Given that privately funded delegations are necessarily non-official, what is it that warrants member participation in some cases but not others? Are legislators accepting private sponsorships based on comparative analyses of which destinations might be most productive, or are they accepting any offer that comes in the door? And are members of Congress maintaining a principled difference between the activities they pursue at public and private expense? The legitimacy of foreign travel depends on the answers to these questions."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

lagerhead wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 am Serious question seacoaster:

Why is it alright for a Senator, who has everything to gain politically by undermining the administration, to have private talks with a state leader but not the Administration. Did Murphy go around the State Department, will we know how this conversation was framed?

Zelensky appears to have had a different impression. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), who spoke with Zelensky during an early September visit to Ukraine, said the Ukrainian president “directly” expressed concerns at their meeting that “the aid that was being cut off to Ukraine by the president was a consequence” of his unwillingness to launch an investigation into the Bidens, The Post reported.
The administration is free to talk to whomever. This is the issue:

The federal bribery statute requires the government to prove that the defendants acted with corrupt intent to engage in a quid pro quo, that is, “a specific intent to give or receive something of value in exchange for an official act.” United States v. Sun-Diamond Growers, 526 U.S. 398, 404-05 (1999).

Also: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1058196
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Or he is just stating the facts of what was said and how it was inaccurate. Which of course happens on a dialy basis.

This is by far, not the best economy in the history of the country...yet Trump keeps saying it and some slurp it up.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Thanks SC
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Only 19% of Americans supported impeachment at the start of the Nixon impeachment process...

Just sayin'

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is getting interesting....https://www.instagram.com/p/B20YBSJnkhd ... rBpF9oTI0/

Apparently the attorney for the WB worked for Schumer and Clinton.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am Only 19% of Americans supported impeachment at the start of the Nixon impeachment process...

Just sayin'

Nancy was against it, before she was for it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B20UCnAnqY- ... nbJHpUHw0/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump said it would energize his base.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

It's a sad day for Nancy...she knew the division that would come. She was in congress for Nixon's debacles.

Enough is enough. The line has been crossed - no TRAMPLED by this DOPUS and it's ABOUT TIME Nancy and the Dems got a spine and did their duty. We sure don't need another Trump coming down the pike someday, the American electorate is just too low-information and susceptible to being confused and misinformed to get it right every time.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Also, it is pretty clear now that the "transcript" being released is not actually a transcript, but a summary that is simplified. Just like Barr's letter about the Mueller report, this is trying to get some spin out before the actual complaint (whistleblower) has been heard by Congress.

Since the "quid pro quo' the Rs are demanding won't be evident with this summary, it is effectively meaningless as to Trump/Giuliani's guilt here.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 am
holmes435 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 pm President Trump: *breaks a bunch of laws
Please define the broken laws. Those words are being thrown around like confetti, yet no one has actually defined them.
At a minimum he's obstructed justice and violated the emoluments clause. Now this Ukraine thing could be fraud and extortion.

He's also got campaign finance issues and a number of other things being investigated. Heck, his foundation was shut down for fraudulent behavior.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am Also, it is pretty clear now that the "transcript" being released is not actually a transcript, but a summary that is simplified. Just like Barr's letter about the Mueller report, this is trying to get some spin out before the actual complaint (whistleblower) has been heard by Congress.

Since the "quid pro quo' the Rs are demanding won't be evident with this summary, it is effectively meaningless as to Trump/Giuliani's guilt here.
The transcript text is right around 2,000 words, and the call took exactly 30 min — that's about 66 words per minute. Even with translations, that is abnormally slow speech for a conversation.

This is NOT the full transcript.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

It's a "memorandum" with a disclosure stating it's "not a verbatim transcript of a discussion."

Not the least bit surprising.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 am
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 pmMeanwhile, FoxNews explains that Rudy and Trump already admitted to a crime that's listed in the Constitution as an impeachable offense.
"Explains"? That's pretty definitive. Opines is perhaps more accurate? Speculates maybe?

Did Judge Nap jump the gun? I don't know, just asking... I can't share in your usual jumps to conclusions ways. IMO, seems too early to be making such definitive pronouncements don't you think a fan?. I do agree this must be shaking FoxNews to it's core.
I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm telling you what he said on Fox.

You understand that this ain't going through our normal system of Justice, yes? Rules of evidence and alllllll the trappings of an American Courtroom do not exist for this proceeding. And the rules for the House are different than the Senate's.

It's up to Congress. So yes. "Explains."
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am It's a "memorandum" with a disclosure stating it's "not a verbatim transcript of a discussion."

It is a summary memo prepared from the note takers (usually a few all taking notes at once) who then get together and memorialize/summarize the conversation the best they can. You can BET this has been further redacted/modified by the administration.

In spite of this there are clear indications of wrongdoing - Trump talks about all the US/him have been doing for Ukraine - then launches into a multipart ask. Things like the DNC server which somehow he thinks is in Ukraine, plus the Biden stuff (which no one was actually investigating in the Ukraine because there is nothing there).

As someone in my twitter feed says - they did not even do a good job of removing all the crimes...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:22 am
foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am It's a "memorandum" with a disclosure stating it's "not a verbatim transcript of a discussion."

It is a summary memo prepared from the note takers (usually a few all taking notes at once) who then get together and memorialize/summarize the conversation the best they can. You can BET this has been further redacted/modified by the administration.

In spite of this there are clear indications of wrongdoing - Trump talks about all the US/him have been doing for Ukraine - then launches into a multipart ask. Things like the DNC server which somehow he thinks is in Ukraine, plus the Biden stuff (which no one was actually investigating in the Ukraine because there is nothing there).

As someone in my twitter feed says - they did not even do a good job of removing all the crimes...
“I warned all you dumb f*#ks!”

~ Hillary Clinton (Probably)
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Disclosure via Cliff Notes.... :roll:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 am

Disclosure via Cliff Notes.... :roll:
In spite of that editing (BTW the number of words present in the summary could have been delivered in about 1/3 of the time for this call) you have Trump acting like a mobster. I have been so good to you - though I need you to do something for me...

The DNC server stuff is apparently connected to the whole Seth Rich conspiracy theory. Yet another way the Trumpist try to fit their square pegs into round holes by coming up with wild theories why they do no wrong...
ggait

Post by ggait »

That summary/transcript is pretty horrendous. I can only imagine how much worse the tape would sound (if one exists).

Trump is obviously leveraging Zelensky. Out of the blue he inexplicably puts a hold on $400 million shortly before the call. Then on the call Trump says: we do a lot for Ukraine; we do more for you than Europe (false); but Ukraine is not good back to us; Ukraine is not reciprocal; I would like you to do us a favor.

And so what are the favors that Trump wants for the furtherance of important U.S. foreign policy interests?

1. Investigate Crowdstrike (i.e. Hillary, Comey, and the "incompetent performance" of the Mueller investigation). [Conspiracy theory]

2. Investigate Joe Biden's son. [Conspiracy theory]

3. And I want you to work with Barr and Rudy to do that dirty work.

That's it. Those are the ONLY things that Trump asks for. What the heck do those have to do with legit U.S. foreign policy issues? 100% impeachable.

The only good thing for Trump is that, as always, he's too forking lazy and tied up with TV and Twitter to follow through. Which may save his bacon again. We've seen that movie before.

Trump routinely asks his people to go out and shoot someone on 5th Avenue. "Crazy shirt" as Don McGahn put it. But McGahn, Lewandowski and others routinely ignore and disobey Drunk Uncle's orders because they don't want to go to jail. Here, the WH staffers were furiously trying to prevent this call from happening. And then when the call happens, there's no follow up/through.

Barr doesn't go near the two investigations. But he does his standard job by squashing the criminal referral (campaign finance violations again) that the DNI IG made to justice.

Pathetic. Andrew Johnson cheers because there's a new worst president ever to replace him.
Last edited by ggait on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:51 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 am
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 pmMeanwhile, FoxNews explains that Rudy and Trump already admitted to a crime that's listed in the Constitution as an impeachable offense.
"Explains"? That's pretty definitive. Opines is perhaps more accurate? Speculates maybe?

Did Judge Nap jump the gun? I don't know, just asking... I can't share in your usual jumps to conclusions ways. IMO, seems too early to be making such definitive pronouncements don't you think a fan?. I do agree this must be shaking FoxNews to it's core.
I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm telling you what he said on Fox.

You understand that this ain't going through our normal system of Justice, yes? Rules of evidence and alllllll the trappings of an American Courtroom do not exist for this proceeding. And the rules for the House are different than the Senate's.

It's up to Congress. So yes. "Explains."
Oh, and to clarify what I'm saying here----- it doesn't matter if Trump did something that would be illegal for any other citizen to do. Trump could murder someone on the Capital steps in front of hundreds of people. And if Mitch McConnell is cool with that, Trump wouldn't be impeached.

To me all the whistleblower info. is immaterial, although it's making it sound worse. Both Trump and his lawyer (mother of G*d...how bad of a lawyer is Giuliani?) publicly admitted to asking another country's leader to find dirt on a political opponent, Biden. That's game, set, match for me. All the rest is sound and fury.

But my opinion doesn't matter. It's all down to McConnell, and his political calculations. Get McConnell, and that's the ball game.

Return to “POLITICS”