Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am Just got my e-mail update from PM.
In case anybody is wondering - there is no mention of the Epstein issue - I didn't expect one at all - but I am sure there is at least one or two posters here that are now calling Jen Baker demanding a full investigation.
Somewhat ironically, however, the first brief paragraph was a bunch of normal coach gobbledy- gook - stuff about success being a lifestyle not a switch an arrow he should have had in his quiver when asked about Epstein
Coach liked the effort against Ohio State

Ended with a Belichick like we're on to Rutgers
-The issue was not that he called epstein out, the issue was that the school did not put the audio of the full news conference out and that the media who slammed him for it did not do their jobs to reach out to him and sources close to the lockerroom to get a full picture before creating their narrative. I like quint personally and am proud of the career he's built and what that says about the university but I'm really over him taking shots at the program including Milliman and Baker w/out taking the time to engage them and then to make specific points. It really felt in his IL pod that he has relationships w/the current players and their families and he was trying to protect them.

-Quint mentioned he's doing the maryland game and it's essential for a)daniels to attend the game and sit in the stands, engaging parents and whatever students/alumni/band are allowed in and b)quint to interview him during the game about a number of issues that quint probably has and that have been raised here. HF16 is going to say that daniels has better things to do and that quint should focus on something else during the game and no daniels doesn't and yes it would be great for Milliman and the program to get a nationally televised show of support from the President of the university as they head into a critical offseason. For parents of current and potential hopkins lacrosse players to see the school President at the game, endorsing the coach, showing his full support for the future of the program, I think would be very reassuring after the last 1.5 years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:14 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am Just got my e-mail update from PM.
In case anybody is wondering - there is no mention of the Epstein issue - I didn't expect one at all - but I am sure there is at least one or two posters here that are now calling Jen Baker demanding a full investigation.
Somewhat ironically, however, the first brief paragraph was a bunch of normal coach gobbledy- gook - stuff about success being a lifestyle not a switch an arrow he should have had in his quiver when asked about Epstein

-The issue was not that he called epstein out, the issue was that the school did not put the audio of the full news conference out and that the media who slammed him for it did not do their jobs to reach out to him and sources close to the lockerroom to get a full picture before creating their narrative. I like quint personally and am proud of the career he's built and what that says about the university but I'm really over him taking shots at the program including Milliman and Baker w/out taking the time to engage them and then to make specific points. It really felt in his IL pod that he has relationships w/the current players and their families and he was trying to protect them.

-Quint mentioned he's doing the maryland game and it's essential for a)daniels to attend the game and sit in the stands, engaging parents and whatever students/alumni/band are allowed in and b)quint to interview him during the game about a number of issues that quint probably has and that have been raised here. HF16 is going to say that daniels has better things to do and that quint should focus on something else during the game and no daniels doesn't and yes it would be great for Milliman and the program to get a nationally televised show of support from the President of the university as they head into a critical offseason. For parents of current and potential hopkins lacrosse players to see the school President at the game, endorsing the coach, showing his full support for the future of the program, I think would be very reassuring after the last 1.5 years.
There is a full-page note from Daniels on the first page of the gameday programs: http://publogix.com/e/21-JHUMLGD4/

That's the best you're going to get, 06. Anything more and you're probably going to have to call up the Special Assistant to the President, Mr. Harrison, about your request. I'm sure he'll get right on that. Maybe you'll get lucky and Daniels will ahve the afternoon off trimming the hedges at his Montecito garden that day.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I didn't see any explanation in there about Grimes either. Perhaps we'll get more clarification on Saturday.
Seriously hope it wasn't an injury issue.
The character of this update was very different from his previous ones. Maybe he had a long talk with Jen this week?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm I didn't see any explanation in there about Grimes either. Perhaps we'll get more clarification on Saturday.
Seriously hope it wasn't an injury issue.
Re: injuries—I'm planning to go to the Rutgers game this weekend, so hoping to get a good view of who is actually hurt vs. who is in uniform/ready to play but is just riding the pine. Having said that I'm not sure if they have been traveling with the full roster so it may not be all that helpful in that regard to be there in person. Main thing is, win or lose, I'm excited to actually see some live lacrosse action. Been way too long.

I will try my best to relay 06's many demands to PM and co. from the stands. Because of social distancing, they've got spectators sitting pretty far back from the benches, so sadly he probably won't hear me. Perhaps it's for the best—"This guy on the internet says you need to bench Cole Williams!!!" wouldn't go over very well with the families in attendance.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

hf16
-Daniels should be at the terp game, hopkins has a relationship w/espn, quint is an alum, and there are a number of questions any broadcaster should have for a school President in these times. Easy thing to do. win/win for homewood showing on homecoming to the alumn, lacrosse world, and recruits, that daniels is engaged and quint getting the most powerful man in the state for an interview. While we're at it, I'd also like quint to air an interview w/some of the band at halftime instead of the bs duke won today stuff. live a little, have some fun, show that there are still (barely) signs of life at homewood, embrace a beleaguered trombonist.
-my understanding was that they limited travel rosters because of corona.
-"Baltimore is 90 percent black and I'm not"-carcetti. Hopkins just spent $600k on lobbying trying to get an OK for hop cops so that nurses and grad students don't get murdered. They should've hired wes moore and harrison years ago for alumni and community engagement roles.
-Tinney's twitter is very good, espn/rabils pll thing should give him a long look for a sideline role next year. lot of flavor there, and the sport needs more john daly and less jos a bank.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Game notes are up: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/4/1 ... es-ii.aspx

If you flip to page 5 of the PDF there's a very interesting note in there:
At halftime of our the regular season finale against Maryland next week, Johns Hopkins University president Ronald Daniels will be interviewed by ESPN commentator and Hopkins alum Quint Kessenich about his support for the men's lacrosse program and his vision for the future just kidding this isn't going to happen in a million years no matter how many times jhu06 posts about it and oh by the way we're not hiring Kyle Harrison to be the president's token lacrosse ambassador either sorry!
I thought the the message was a little strange and out of place, but take from it what you will.

Thought Peshko might be added to the key midfield personnel after scoring last week, but nope. Dunn however was added to the faceoff group after going 4-7 and scoring a goal.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm Game notes are up: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/4/1 ... es-ii.aspx

At halftime of our the regular season finale against Maryland next week, Johns Hopkins University president Ronald Daniels will be interviewed by ESPN commentator and Hopkins alum Quint Kessenich about his support for the men's lacrosse program and his vision for the future just kidding this isn't going to happen in a million years no matter how many times jhu06 posts about it and oh by the way we're not hiring Kyle Harrison to be the president's token lacrosse ambassador either sorry!
I thought the the message was a little strange and out of place, but take from it what you will.

Thought Peshko might be added to the key midfield personnel after scoring last week, but nope. Dunn however was added to the faceoff group after going 4-7 and scoring a goal.
this should be the first game of fall ball 2021. Let the outgoing veterans start the game so terry foy and anish don't do a pod talking about how the feelings of the heart of a 4-11 group are hurt these days then give the other 50 minutes to the deans, mcdermotts, peshkos, martin, szuluk, smith, jaronski and anyone else they might believe has a chance so they can go into transfer and recruiting markets knowing what they have. No present or future interest is served by playing baskin, zinn, williams, keough, dipietro, schilling, schure beyond a token possession or two. They can play their sr day next week against the terps and then the b1g tournament.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm Game notes are up: https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/4/1 ... es-ii.aspx

this should be the first game of fall ball 2021. Let the outgoing veterans start the game so terry foy and anish don't do a pod talking about how the feelings of the heart of a 4-11 group are hurt these days then give the other 50 minutes to the deans, mcdermotts, peshkos, martin, szuluk, smith, jaronski and anyone else they might believe has a chance so they can go into transfer and recruiting markets knowing what they have. No present or future interest is served by playing baskin, zinn, williams, keough, dipietro, schilling, schure beyond a token possession or two. They can play their sr day next week against the terps and then the b1g tournament.
All of those younger guys you listed are already getting playing time, except Smith.

No future interest in playing Zinn? He has two more years of eligibility. If you want him as an SSDM/transition middie for the next two seasons he needs that experience at the position now.

The first game of fall ball 2021 should be in fall ball of 2021. As long as there is still a conference tournament bid out there, the team is not just going to lay down and quit. They are going to try to win—as they should. Benching your starters and playing a meaningless game is a great way for future recruits to absolutely have no interest in playing for this staff. They'd lose the current locker room and future locker rooms. It'd be a disaster. They can mix younger guys in to get a sense of what they have for next year without just giving up on the season entirely. How do you think THAT would go over with people?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sag - As perverse as it sounds - from a coaching staff perspective I would hope that Grimes was hurt - certainly want him to be OK and play on Saturday but if he was not injured the only defense for the staff that I can come up with is the South Park infamous Chewbacca defense - because I quote "It makes no sense"
The only other teeny tiny defensible theory is it was pre-planned from the get go he was going to play the first half and others were going to play the second. On the surface - plausible and reasonable - but when the kid - who you have been trying to get to produce in the line-up from Day 1 goes 3 for 3 it's time to call in Gary Cole for a reverse Office Space cameo to speak to the second half player(s) "Yeah, you know that we told you we were gonna need you on Saturday...eh not so much"
Otherwise - it appears to come down to performance??? (I kind of like 3 for 3 and zero turnovers) or you forgot about him??? - he's 6'4" kind of hard to miss

'06 - Agree with you 100% on one point - the irresponsibility shown by the lacrosse talking heads on the Epstein issue.
Disagree with you that Milliman's statements were not an issue - otherwise it wouldn't have been an issue

The Daniels stuff - sorry - cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

LOL Maybe they're sandbagging now and trying to sneak up on teams in the BIG tournament.
That's the only other explanation I can think of.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I watched the ACC game last night and was more discouraged about the Jays rebuild. I could count maybe 3 Jays at the moment who would see time in that game and one of them is a face off guy.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am I watched the ACC game last night and was more discouraged about the Jays rebuild. I could count maybe 3 Jays at the moment who would see time in that game and one of them is a face off guy.
Meh, when a team is playing bad, even the good players look bad.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well they are 4-9 since 2019.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm

All of those younger guys you listed are already getting playing time, except Smith.

No future interest in playing Zinn? He has two more years of eligibility. If you want him as an SSDM/transition middie for the next two seasons he needs that experience at the position now.

The first game of fall ball 2021 should be in fall ball of 2021. As long as there is still a conference tournament bid out there, the team is not just going to lay down and quit. They are going to try to win—as they should. Benching your starters and playing a meaningless game is a great way for future recruits to absolutely have no interest in playing for this staff. They'd lose the current locker room and future locker rooms. It'd be a disaster. They can mix younger guys in to get a sense of what they have for next year without just giving up on the season entirely. How do you think THAT would go over with people?
Zinn seems to be quickly developing into a SSDM that will have a big impact next year. I don't see the value in sitting him. Get him all the reps you can.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

zinn has 7 gbs and 13 turnovers the last 2 years and is probably carrying a fat scholarship as one of the top national recruits in his class.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sorry meant 4-10 since 2019
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:26 am zinn has 7 gbs and 13 turnovers the last 2 years and is probably carrying a fat scholarship as one of the top national recruits in his class.
13 turnovers in 14 games is actually...not a lot?

Your point doesn't make sense anyway: Even if he's a turnover machine, those numbers were all as an offensive middie. He has switched to SSDM the last two games, and looks like he might have a future there. The best thing for the team would be to let him develop at the position—not bench him just because you have a personal vendetta against the kid and many of his teammates for disappointing you. His main issue has been shooting, but the speed never went away. As an SSDM he can worry a lot less about shooting and just use his speed to his advantage as a defender/transition player. If you can't see that there might be some future value in that then I can't help you.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:28 am Sorry meant 4-10 since 2019
Lol take all the cheap shots you want. Nothing is going to make you feel better about making one tournament in the last 17 seasons. Maybe you guys will make another one in 2038? Fingers crossed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Crying about Cheap shots while taking one. And a datapoint isn’t a cheap shot, your reply was cheaper than a $2 suit though. Must’ve been a general business major.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:56 am Crying about Cheap shots while taking one. And a datapoint isn’t a cheap shot, your reply was cheaper than a $2 suit though. Must’ve been a general business major.
Ok, fine, 2038 might have been too far. I think you guys can get back there by 2036 at the latest
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good one. Keep on hanging onto the past. You’ll fit in perfectly with the octogenarian cohort on some of these boards.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”