media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: media matters

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

No one is trying to take away your Toyota Corolla.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:29 pm I live in NYS accepting the mandates that come down the pike are something I have no say in. The Democrats run this state with an iron fist. Why do you think that Kamala Harris doesn't need to spend 2 cents of political capital in this state. I'll drive my Toyota Corolla until the effing wheels fall off of it. If you wanna drive an EV..knock yourself the f**k out. Kamala Harris has already declared she doesn't want big government telling Americans what to do. Are you now telling us that she is lying? :D No need to reply. I already know Harris is lying. 8-)
So you do like mandates, but just when it benefits you. Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you. :lol:

Keep voting for the people who are gonna mandate what you can read, eat, worship, what women can do with their bodies, and more! Because they're not real mandates! Only Dems make mandates at the federal level and in NY State, no one else does.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:48 am "EVs are not bad. What is bad is when your government tells you that in the near future they are the only vehicles they will allow you to buy. That is bad my man...very bad."

Which "government" is mandating that you will only be able to buy an EV in the "near future"?

And which government is telling you what that "near future" is? When?
And when are you going to not have choices between makes and models of new cars?

"government" has been requiring all sorts of improvements in food, chemicals, drugs, equipment for many years, for the public good. We elect the government to do so, it's not a dictatorship or monarchy, we ask them to do this for us because we as individuals and corporations don't always pay for the full costs of our decisions.

We're dealing with externalities, costs to society and to other taxpayers for actions taken by individuals and corporations.

And carbon fuel engines produce some major externalities.
Come up with a better answer if you don't want EVs.
Gov.Hochul telling me what kind of car I can buy undercuts your argument all day long. I drive a 2016 Toyota Corolla. I love my IC engine car. I will NEVER purchase an EV. If Gov Hochul tries to dictate to me that is the only option Im allowed to purchase..
Well then the both of you can go and screw yourselves. My wife and I have a brand new gas oven and dryer. Our hot water heater heater is brand new gas. I sure as hell don't need YOU telling me how I should run my house or what type of energy should be our preference. I already have a governor trying to dictate that to me. This is where you can go mind your business.
Did she dictate to you what kind of car you buy?

Oh yeah, no.

That said, does NY have fuel standards, emissions standards, etc for the 2016 Corolla?...oh yeah, yes.

Get over yourself.

And yes, you DO "have a say in" what those rules and regs are, unless you decide not to vote...again, that's a choice too. Your "say" is simply not what the majority prefer.

Man, that democracy thingy really bothers you doesn't it?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

AI Taylor Swift, phony Twitter accounts, using music of artists who oppose you, these guys are truly dishonest POS.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:48 am "EVs are not bad. What is bad is when your government tells you that in the near future they are the only vehicles they will allow you to buy. That is bad my man...very bad."

Which "government" is mandating that you will only be able to buy an EV in the "near future"?

And when are you going to not have choices between makes and models of new cars?

"government" has been requiring all sorts of improvements in food, chemicals, drugs, equipment for many years, for the public good. We elect the government to do so, it's not a dictatorship or monarchy, we ask them to do this for us because we as individuals and corporations don't always pay for the full costs of our decisions.

We're dealing with externalities, costs to society and to other taxpayers for actions taken by individuals and corporations.

Gov.Hochul telling me what kind of car I can buy undercuts your argument all day long. I drive a 2016 Toyota Corolla. I love my IC engine car. I will NEVER purchase an EV. If Gov Hochul tries to dictate to me that is the only option Im allowed to purchase..
Well then the both of you can go and screw yourselves. My wife and I have a brand new gas oven and dryer. Our hot water heater heater is brand new gas. I sure as hell don't need YOU telling me how I should run my house or what type of energy should be our preference. I already have a governor trying to dictate that to me. This is where you can go mind your business.

Oh yeah, no.

That said, does NY have fuel standards, emissions standards, etc for the 2016 Corolla?...oh yeah, yes.

Get over yourself.

And yes, you DO "have a say in" what those rules and regs are, unless you decide not to vote...again, that's a choice too. Your "say" is simply not what the majority prefer.

She is dictating what kind of car I will be allowed to buy in the future. Didn't your girl Kamala just opine that she was against government telling us peons what we should do? What side of your mouth are you talking out of today? So you agree as a lifelong conservative Republican that the government should dictate to me what kind of car I will be forced to buy? That sure isn't very lifelong conservative Republican like. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:26 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:29 pm I live in NYS accepting the mandates that come down the pike are something I have no say in. The Democrats run this state with an iron fist. Why do you think that Kamala Harris doesn't need to spend 2 cents of political capital in this state. I'll drive my Toyota Corolla until the effing wheels fall off of it. If you wanna drive an EV..knock yourself the f**k out. Kamala Harris has already declared she doesn't want big government telling Americans what to do. Are you now telling us that she is lying? :D No need to reply. I already know Harris is lying. 8-)
So you do like mandates, but just when it benefits you. Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you. :lol:

Keep voting for the people who are gonna mandate what you can read, eat, worship, what women can do with their bodies, and more! Because they're not real mandates! Only Dems make mandates at the federal level and in NY State, no one else does.
Yeah your fellow Democrats have been disavowing those words of JFK for since as long as I have been posting on these forums. Those words should now read ...ask not what you can do for your country...but demand what your country can do to you... :roll:
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:26 pm

Oh yeah, no.

Get over yourself.

She is dictating what kind of car I will be allowed to buy in the future. Didn't your girl Kamala just opine that she was against government telling us peons what we should do? What side of your mouth are you talking out of today? So you agree as a lifelong conservative Republican that the government should dictate to me what kind of car I will be forced to buy? That sure isn't very lifelong conservative Republican like. :D
First, no one is forcing you to buy anything (other than maybe insurance IF you own a car)...and NY has not mandated EVs, nor suggested there's any specific timeline for such.

HOWEVER, the car you already bought included various regulatory mandates, so you can expect such to continue to happen as technology changes.

And yes, as a lifelong Republican, I'm 100% cool with my democratically elected, representative government dealing with externalities of all sorts that the private individual and corporation have disincentives to handle well. I DON'T want a dictator doing so or for that matter any minority ruling oligarchy to do so.

Beyond externalities, however, as a lifelong Republican I have a BIG problem with government, even democratically elected majority government, limiting my personal choices that do not cost others. For instance, get out of my bedroom, damn it.

Tim Walz' 'golden rule' DOES apply.

If you can't understand the difference, you're not actually 'conservative'.
NattyBohChamps04

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:15 pm

Yeah your fellow Democrats have been disavowing those words of JFK for since as long as I have been posting on these forums. Those words should now read ...ask not what you can do for your country...but demand what your country can do to you... :roll:
Gotta love it! The whole point of the quote was to show how Republicans like you can't handle small changes in what you can buy that make the country a better place. Nope, you gotta have your talc baby powder and filament light bulbs. And then you went with your predictable "I'm rubber and you're glue / Sounds like a Democrat" fallback. :roll:

Of course those mandates pale in comparison to the gains we could make by regulating big corporations, but that's a non-starter for you people.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Gotta love it! The whole point of the quote was to show how Republicans like you can't handle small changes in what you can buy that make the country a better place. Nope, you gotta have your talc baby powder and filament light bulbs. And then you went with your predictable "I'm rubber and you're glue / Sounds like a Democrat" fallback. :roll:

Of course those mandates pale in comparison to the gains we could make by regulating big corporations, but that's a non-starter for you people.
For the 10 thousandth time I'm NOT A REPUBLICAN. I don't give 2 chits about regulating big business. Democrats and Republicans could do that in a heartbeat if they weren't addicted to their campaign donations. I'm just a law abiding, tax paying citizen who wants to drive whatever type of car I choose to purchase. It will be a cold mother effing day in hell before I'll be forced to pay 30 grand plus for a car I don't want. The point is sailing right over all of your heads. Your girl Kamala boldly pointed out she doesn't want government telling us peons what we should do. Don't you agree with her or is it that you know she is lying about it? My plan is to drive my Toyota Corolla until it dies. If that ticks off some of you folks well that is too damn bad.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:16 pm

For the 10 thousandth time I'm NOT A REPUBLICAN. I don't give 2 chits about regulating big business. Democrats and Republicans could do that in a heartbeat if they weren't addicted to their campaign donations. I'm just a law abiding, tax paying citizen who wants to drive whatever type of car I choose to purchase. It will be a cold mother effing day in hell before I'll be forced to pay 30 grand plus for a car I don't want. The point is sailing right over all of your heads. Your girl Kamala boldly pointed out she doesn't want government telling us peons what we should do. Don't you agree with her or is it that you know she is lying about it? My plan is to drive my Toyota Corolla until it dies. If that ticks off some of you folks well that is too damn bad.
Did you read my posts?

Why are you repeating dumb things over and over again?

Respond to the points others made, don't just yell the same thing over and over.

BTW, I had a Toyota Corolla...they are reasonably well built but they do "die".
As will you as well, eventually...hopefully neither for a long time, but "turnover" is an inevitability.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:17 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:56 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:15 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 4:05 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:59 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:48 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:06 am Here's that rotten ol' WaPo, giving Kamala a pass today, Old Salt.

Want help with your excuses as to how this "doesn't count" as criticism of Kamala? :roll:

The times demand serious economic ideas. Harris supplies gimmicks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... -gimmicks/
That's an editorial.
Right. That means that it's not criticism. :roll:

Why Isn't Kamala Harris Giving Interviews

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/08/busi ... views.html

I can do this all day. You're simply wrong. Always have been with your claims. Stories everywhere about Kamala dodging interviews.

Now what? They're doing as you ask.
That means it's tucked on 1/2 of a back page. It's not in the News section & it's just one piece in the Opinion section.
It's their obligatory complaint, as supposedly unbiased journalists. It does not impact their overall favorable & supportive coverage & slant on Harris & the Dems.
:lol: Right. No matter what, you're all set with your claims. Neat. If outlets don't do exactly what you want, well obviously they're biased and corrupt. Btw.....folks read the Times online by and large. There is no such thing as "a back page".

You know: I can play this same game with your claims that Fox is asking Biden to resign, right?

"Oh, that's just one one host, and it's not in the news cycle"

You're smart enough to know this is a stupid line of thinking.

Or am I to assume that it's yet another coincidence that you're parroting yet another FoxNation talking point: "Media is biased for Dems; Hunter's laptop is SO serious; election fraud; Deep State" etc. etc.

Should I just add this to the pile of FoxNonsense that you don't REALLY believe, and are trying to sell as a original thought from Old Salt?
Look at the total content of the WP Opinion section & tell me which way it's slanted & who it advantages.
Even when talking about EV setbacks, they claim it's just a temporary retrenchment & that they will prevail.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/columns/
So.....move the goalposts from "they're not criticizing Kamala"....to EV's?

You're not very good at hiding your desires.

You're a far right Republican demanding that a Center NewsPaper cater to your views. And then when they don't you complain. That about the score here? And you're telling me that you can't figure out why WaPo doesn't run their organization the way a far right Republican wants?

Seriously? You honestly don't understand how this works?
So you think the WP is a "center" newspaper, since Bezos bought it from the Grahams ? :lol:
Talk to the people who work there, ...or used to.

Their EV story was an example. They're trying to mask the reality that the public overwhelmingly rejects the EV mandate & US automakers are taking it in the shorts because they were forced to base their future product development on vehicles the public are not buying & won't in the future, unless/until there's a breakthrough in battery tech & affordable, more reliable, electric power becomes more available.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:13 pm

Did you read my posts?

Why are you repeating dumb things over and over again?

Respond to the points others made, don't just yell the same thing over and over.

BTW, I had a Toyota Corolla...they are reasonably well built but they do "die".
As will you as well, eventually...hopefully neither for a long time, but "turnover" is an inevitability.
I got 224,000 miles out of the one I had. First car out of college.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:23 pm So you think the WP is a "center" newspaper, since Bezos bought it from the Grahams ? :lol:
Talk to the people who work there, ...or used to.

Their EV story was an example. They're trying to mask the reality that the public overwhelmingly rejects the EV mandate & US automakers are taking it in the shorts because they were forced to base their future product development on vehicles the public are not buying & won't in the future, unless/until there's a breakthrough in battery tech & affordable, more reliable, electric power becomes more available.
That's weird, five minutes ago, you told me the Opinion section "doesn't count".....now you're citing it as evidence of lefty lunacy at the WaPo.

Why do you keep playing this game?

All you're doing is making my point: you want them to cater to YOUR Boomer Republican views, and are complaining when they don't. And playing dumb, acting like you're not smart enough to understand this.

Here's Pew asking about simply buying a EV. Nothing about the subsidies.....

Yep. You're right, shockingly people over the age of 65 are mad that we're pushing EVs. Then look what happens when you get younger.

If I didn't know any better, the younger Demo are staring at the world we're leaving them, watching temps rise and parts of the world becoming uninhabitable, and want to change course.

What a bunch of idiots, right? They should give up.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads ... -vehicles/
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:43 pm Beyond externalities, however, as a lifelong Republican I have a BIG problem with government, even democratically elected majority government, limiting my personal choices that do not cost others. For instance, get out of my bedroom, damn it.
Yet you have no issue whatsoever with government, even democratically elected majority government, limiting one of my personal choices that does not cost others. Get out of my gun room, dammit. I'll make the leap and suggest there are approximately 85 million fellow citizens of ours who also exercise a particular personal choice in a manner which does not cost others, who feel the same way I do.

Help the "no cost to others" gun owners (99.99% of us) understand.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Typical Lax Dad

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:26 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:43 pm Beyond externalities, however, as a lifelong Republican I have a BIG problem with government, even democratically elected majority government, limiting my personal choices that do not cost others. For instance, get out of my bedroom, damn it.
Yet you have no issue whatsoever with government, even democratically elected majority government, limiting one of my personal choices that does not cost others. Get out of my gun room, dammit. I'll make the leap and suggest there are approximately 85 million fellow citizens of ours who also exercise a particular personal choice in a manner which does not cost others, who feel the same way I do.

Help the "no cost to others" gun owners (99.99% of us) understand.
That’s Hillary under your bed.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

For the 10 thousandth time I'm NOT A REPUBLICAN.
You had no issue calling me a Democrat when I'm not (and have said so,) so I'm just returning the favor.

Quack quack.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

So, conserve that vehicle and it will probably be the last one you buy. Now, given where you live, presuming you maintain it, the greatest threat to its longevity is the road salt. See how easy that was to solve?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

a fan wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:38 am
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:38 am So the Zuck letter is a nothing burger. Got it. Apologies for taking up bandwidth and musing upon potential implications. Attempts to spark discourse earns a ticket for gaslighting.

Firmly held beliefs must never be reassessed as new ideas and information become available. And asking questions and being curious is a firing offense. Beatings will continue until morale improves, all systems normal, and full speed ahead.
So let me see if I have this straight......you give your opinion and ask a question....I answer your question, as requested....and you're upset because I give you my rational opinion?

You didn't answer MY question, and let's make it specific: when did the media finally gain access to Hunters' laptop?
Still waiting for you to answer this question. I answered yours. Reciprocate?

Return to “POLITICS”