shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:23 am
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:37 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:52 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:42 am
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:35 am
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:23 am
justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:06 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:29 am
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Hamilton beats the 30-35th ranked DI team in OT?

Dream big bro.
I dont think 30-35th is dreaming big

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
ND lost to Gtown, Gtown lost to Denver, Denver lost to Yale, Yale lost to Princeton (twice), Princeton lost to Brown, Brown lost to Tufts......Tufts is the D3 and D1 National Champion!!! :lol: :lol: How dare I use "actual results" to reinforce my point!! Complete sh!t logic, i.e. one time examples, but what else would you expect from a jackass.
Amazing how a hypothetical question, with no possibility of ever happening, has devolved into such a mindless back and forth..of course, usual suspects leading the charge
Thanks for your input, oh wise one. Sorry if you don’t like the banter… Whatever.
You are quite welcome. Banter is great, the nonstop condescending commentary is obnoxious. Somebody call Laxdad, I'm starting to long for the good old NJIT days
Perhaps I should have been less sarcastic and more direct and said, thanks for your input, oh self-righteous, self appointed hall monitor!! Haha.
Looks like somebody is headed to a timeout in their own forum again...
Oh my my my, do tell, palace intrigue… who might this be? Again!!! The suspense is palatable!! Can’t wait to hear, you’re obviously in the know!! Very impressive!!
Definitely "not "in the know"...but I appreciate the attempted redirect with the conspiracy theory...the fact that they created a separate forum for you speaks volumes...and with that, I am done wasting time on this topic
Who is “they”? The deep state?! 🤣🤣
I think that the chinstrap may be a little too tight on your aluminum foil helmet.
ah23

Re: NESCAC

Post by ah23 »

justanotherperson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 am Then there is the other camp that thinks the gap between a D1 and D3 athlete is soooooo wide that a D3 team could never compete
I assume some it is just a lack of familiarity with D-III, and some of it is people with a) direct connections to bad D-I lacrosse and b) a superiority complex. The first group I get - can’t blame a Duke or ND fan for not being locked in on D-III lacrosse. The second group…much less sympathetic.

As you alluded to, lacrosse isn’t like football/basketball/other bigger sports for players or, fo a lesser extentteams. Just the reality of where the sport is and how different dynamics play into the choice between schools and divisions.
Last edited by ah23 on Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

ah23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:56 am
justanotherperson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 am Then there is the other camp that thinks the gap between a D1 and D3 athlete is soooooo wide that a D3 team could never compete
Obviously not the norm, but at least some of that camp is people with a) direct connections to bad D-I lacrosse and b) a superiority complex. Unfortunate combination.

As you alluded to, lacrosse isn’t like football/basketball/other bigger sports for players or teams. Just the reality of where the sport is and how different dynamics play into the choice between schools and divisions.
Please break down those dynamics.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:20 pm
ah23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:56 am
Obviously not the norm, but at least some of that camp is people with a) direct connections to bad D-I lacrosse and b) a superiority complex. Unfortunate combination.

As you alluded to, lacrosse isn’t like football/basketball/other bigger sports for players or teams. Just the reality of where the sport is and how different dynamics play into the choice between schools and divisions.
Please break down those dynamics.
Academics is the biggest especially for a NESCAC/W&L type school, competing for a conference / national title vs winning maybe 5 games a year, to start. Alumni network and jobs post graduation. Location / school size desired. Being able to study abroad for a semester like most nescac / centennials allow. Less required time for lacrosse allowing players to play 2 sports or join other clubs. List goes on, and most of this is common knowledge.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

ah23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:56 am I assume some it is just a lack of familiarity with D-III, and some of it is people with a) direct connections to bad D-I lacrosse and b) a superiority complex.
In this one instance I might just have to take your word for it. Y’all certainly know a thing or two about superiority complexes.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:46 am
callaxdad wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:47 am
shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:43 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:36 pm
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Dream big bro.

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
ND lost to Gtown, Gtown lost to Denver, Denver lost to Yale, Yale lost to Princeton (twice), Princeton lost to Brown, Brown lost to Tufts......Tufts is the D3 and D1 National Champion!!! :lol: :lol: How dare I use "actual results" to reinforce my point!! Complete sh!t logic, i.e. one time examples, but what else would you expect from a jackass.
Amazing how a hypothetical question, with no possibility of ever happening, has devolved into such a mindless back and forth..of course, usual suspects leading the charge
Thanks for your input, oh wise one. Sorry if you don’t like the banter… Whatever.
You are quite welcome. Banter is great, the nonstop condescending commentary is obnoxious. Somebody call Laxdad, I'm starting to long for the good old NJIT days
Perhaps I should have been less sarcastic and more direct and said, thanks for your input, oh self-righteous, self appointed hall monitor!! Haha.
Oh my my my, do tell, palace intrigue… who might this be? Again!!! The suspense is palatable!! Can’t wait to hear, you’re obviously in the know!! Very impressive!!
Definitely "not "in the know"...but I appreciate the attempted redirect with the conspiracy theory...the fact that they created a separate forum for you speaks volumes...and with that, I am done wasting time on this topic
I think that the chinstrap may be a little too tight on your aluminum foil helmet.
Hahaha!! Good one! Or, maybe I’m just being facetious and having a little fun on a silly lacrosse forum that some, IMHO, take waaaaaay too seriously. What thinks you?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

seems like it is always the same person that comes here and starts this conversation. there are endless examples of how the lower level D1 teams are mainly filled with kids that had a D1 or bust attitude. most kids that i know on lower D1 teams (i can think of 11 off the top of my head that grew up locally and i watched them play) are playing at a low level D1 team because they was the only school to give them a look. i can think of 4 kids on those lower D1 teams that were not starters in high school, but get playing time on those lower level D1 teams.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

callaxdad wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:31 pm

Dream big bro.

Hahaha!! Good one! Or, maybe I’m just being facetious and having a little fun on a silly lacrosse forum that some, IMHO, take waaaaaay too seriously. What thinks you?
It certainly has its moments. I love a good lacrosse conversation, but there are certainly some short fuses and egos on this, and every, sports forum. My two-cents is that the forum tends to stray into the world of hypothetical analytics which can never be proven or disproven. Yes, Tufts can win in D1 under certain circumstances, but in the end, they are never playing D1, yet we keep going deeper down this rabbit hole. Basically, like trying to convince Laxdad that many top D3 lacrosse teams have players that can readily compete in D1, not just the handful that made the move and saw success, but we know that he is never going to agree.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:06 pm List goes on, and most of this is common knowledge.
And has been for years.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:33 pm

Dream big bro.

It certainly has its moments. I love a good lacrosse conversation, but there are certainly some short fuses and egos on this, and every, sports forum. My two-cents is that the forum tends to stray into the world of hypothetical analytics which can never be proven or disproven. Yes, Tufts can win in D1 under certain circumstances, but in the end, they are never playing D1, yet we keep going deeper down this rabbit hole. Basically, like trying to convince Laxdad that many top D3 lacrosse teams have players that can readily compete in D1, not just the handful that made the move and saw success, but we know that he is never going to agree.
Totally agree shorelax and I was totally being facetious before about D1 transfers to D3 tearing it up. Like I said there are are people who think D1 superiority is set in stone. But what sets it apart from football and basketball is in lacrosse, many of the kids are making "life" decisions to choose schools and academics and careers over D1 glory where as in those other 2 sports, excellent football and basketball schools arent exactly synonymous with "academics".

Maybe its my bias in Northeast recruiting but most of the top lacrosse kids in private / prep are not even considering the majority of D1 schools because of academics, connections etc and many of these top lacrosse recruits choosing top D3 schools. These are some of the besy lax high schoolers which leads to my suspicion they would more than hold their own in mid-low D1 which further reinforces my belief that Tufts would be competitive. I respect laxdad's NJ knowledge and maybe it is different in NJ and thus his different viewpoint.

I do appreciate the banter though, especially during the slow summer months amd what choochoo, laxdad bring to the forum even with the trolling because it does get entertaining. As calllaxdad rightly said, its just forum, have fun!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

justanotherperson wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:44 am

Dream big bro.

Totally agree shorelax and I was totally being facetious before about D1 transfers to D3 tearing it up. Like I said there are are people who think D1 superiority is set in stone. But what sets it apart from football and basketball is in lacrosse, many of the kids are making "life" decisions to choose schools and academics and careers over D1 glory where as in those other 2 sports, excellent football and basketball schools arent exactly synonymous with "academics".

Maybe its my bias in Northeast recruiting but most of the top lacrosse kids in private / prep are not even considering the majority of D1 schools because of academics, connections etc and many of these top lacrosse recruits choosing top D3 schools. These are some of the besy lax high schoolers which leads to my suspicion they would more than hold their own in mid-low D1 which further reinforces my belief that Tufts would be competitive. I respect laxdad's NJ knowledge and maybe it is different in NJ and thus his different viewpoint.

I do appreciate the banter though, especially during the slow summer months amd what choochoo, laxdad bring to the forum even with the trolling because it does get entertaining. As calllaxdad rightly said, its just forum, have fun!
ND isn't a good academic school...Michigan, Virginia, PSU, Marist, Manhattan, Bryant?

Why not The Ivy's then? Why Tufts not Yale?

As far as a kid wanting to play 2 sports in D3, it's done in D1 more often then you think...Just look at the kid from ND, 2 lacrosse Nattys and a Sun Bowl MVP.

The reason there's different divisions is based on the athlete's size, speed and strength. It doesn't mean the D3 kids aren't great athletes, they are. It means they're not D1 athletes. Are there exceptions to the rule, absolutely.

Time to go watch some lacrosse. Enjoy your weekend.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

laxdad1434 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:45 am

Dream big bro.

ND isn't a good academic school...Michigan, Virginia, PSU, Marist, Manhattan, Bryant?

As far as a kid wanting to play 2 sports in D3, it's done in D1 more often then you think...Just look at the kid from ND, 2 lacrosse Nattys and a Sun Bowl MVP.

The reason there's different divisions is based on the athlete's size, speed and strength. It doesn't mean the D3 kids aren't great athletes, they are. It means they're not D1 athletes. Are there exceptions to the rule, absolutely.

Jumping in here, majority of top players at D3 top 20 programs can play D1. Bottom half of D1 programs offer no real incentive for many players outside of saying you play D1, high level players do not want to play for lousy D1 programs. Highly competitive players like to be part of a winning program.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Dream big bro.

Not sure how Marist, Bryant, and Manhattan are entering the conversation academically or athletically with schools like ND, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, etc.....or the NESCAC academically
NotLikeUs

Post by NotLikeUs »

Lack of college lacrosse along with summertime is a recipe that brings out all kinds of posts and random ideas and thoughts 8-)
Mustard
On
The Beat H#e...
I turn a 8th 2 an ounce, 2 a whole key 2 the R-O-C…
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ok. someone had to say it. this clown doesn’t know lax. he is the only one (besides dads with kids in the bottom 25 teams) that think the bottom teams are any good.

the kids i know playing the low level D1 schools didn’t even start in high school.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

shorelax12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Dream big bro.

Not sure how Marist, Bryant, and Manhattan are entering the conversation academically or athletically with schools like ND, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, etc.....or the NESCAC academically
shorelax12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:34 pm

Dream big bro.

They aren’t
5Star

Post by 5Star »

shorelax12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:34 pm Not sure how Marist, Bryant, and Manhattan are entering the conversation academically or athletically with schools like ND, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Georgetown, etc.....or the NESCAC academically
I don’t think any rational person can say that those schools are better than the major national universities you listed or the top end NESCAC schools.

Where it is interesting is when cost and ROI is factored in. Particularly for upper middle/middle class families from areas with high cost of living, who may qualify for less than ideal financial aid.

Here’s an example.

A family lives in Nassau county with a household income of $195k. On Long Island that doesn’t go all that far, but when a college like say Wesleyan is calculating financial aid offerings that number isn’t too bad.

So Wesleyan knocks down their sticker of $64k/year to $44k. Not bad, great education at a slightly discounted rate. Could be life changing.

Now that same family gets an offer from Bryant. Their son has terrific grades (hence the NESCAC offer). Bryant offers 2 levels of merit scholarships to all who qualify, tuition is $51k at Bryant. It’s safe to say many NESCAC level recruits qualify for their $40k merit scholarship. Tuition is now $11k, but wait. Bryant says we’d also like to present you with some athletic scholarship money too. Here’s 15% scholarship (that’s of the $51k) bringing your tuition to about $3500/year.

Is a Wesleyan degree at $176k really better than $14k for Bryant degree? Probably not.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

"ND isn't a good academic school...Michigan, Virginia, PSU, Marist, Manhattan, Bryant?
The reason there's different divisions is based on the athlete's size, speed and strength. It doesn't mean the D3 kids aren't great athletes, they are. It means they're not D1 athletes. Are there exceptions to the rule, absolutely."

Laxdad. No one said ND, Ivy's. Michigan, VA, GTown, UNC are not the very best (Marist, Manhattan, Bryant are decent but not in the same class)

I think it is more commonly "the rule and not the exception. Maybe it is different in NJ (except L'Ville) as even though i spent 18 years there, I havent lived there for a very long time but from what Ive seen in Northeast recruiting for the TOP high school players AND excellent academically, the recruiting pecking order for the majority of kids seems to be:

1) top D1 academic - IVY's, GTown, UNC, UVA, Michigan, ND, Hopkins, NU, Army/Navy/Air Force and also maybe OSU, PSU, Maryland, Syracuse, Nova, Lehigh, Richmond, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette, Umass, Drexel - about 28 schools +/-
2) D3 - NESCAC, W&L, Swat and maybe Union, RPI, SLU, Dickinson, babson, MIT, kenyon, denison amongst a few others
3) MCLA at a top academic school
4) No lacrosse
5) The vast grey area of middle of the pack D1 / D3 lax and moderately good academics.
6) low academic D1, D2, D3

Sorry laxdad; the top D3 lax players that have excellent academic prowess just arent choosing lower ranked schools (could start a whole new thread on shoddy rankings but I digress and much apologies to anyone if I miscategorized your school)

As for 2 sport athletes being commonplace in college? Nah, I dont think so; a few examples (you gave 1) doenst make it commonplace (though I hope P Spencer makes the Golden State squad)

Agree with 5star on the ROI for college degrees as going to the least expensive option, especially if going to grad school is many times the right choice for families and one would argue trade schools are a great option as well. The problem is when talking in the context of lacrosse, the concept of ROI is already thrown out the window

Agree, time to watch sports. Definitely not lax as the Olympics have been pretty compelling so far
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

A couple of excellent takes by 5Star and justanotherperson!! Nice to wake up to on a Sunday morning before mass in Cali!!
Ballknower

Post by Ballknower »

Excited to see what 2025 has to offer for the Bantams. Trinity has been on a recruiting tear recently, and not sure other NESCACS can compare to the social life Trinity provides to its students. I believe 2025 will be the year of the Bantams, especially with stud attackman Ethan Cobb coming back from an injury.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”