Laxter wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:37 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:16 am
Laxter wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:16 pm
NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 pm
Finster wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:59 am
BetweenTheLines wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:40 pm
Finster wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:22 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:36 pm This a top 5 team of all time. PK or LE
Dang. Cornell is then in the top 10 all time? Lost by one and should’ve won.

Congrats Cornell: you’re now top 10 of all time.

:lol:

(The recency bias here is off the charts)
Shoulda coulda woulda. If rankings were purely transitive, maybe they would've been in the playoffs.

This ND team is certainly up there in the top 5 or top 10. I'm not old enough to go too deep in the history books, but only 2006 UVA and 2022 MD are definitely better. Even 2005 Hopkins eeked out wins en route to the championship. This ND team just got better and better as the season wore on. They avenged their lone loss. As of today, they're one of the best teams ever.

Also, I thought you bet on ND in the end? Just be grateful you went with your brain and not your heart.

Maybe throw money on PK now too since your GOAT had to watch today from PLL training camp.
Shoulda woulda coulda beat Georgetown at home. Didn’t. So not part of ‘the greatest teams ever’ conversation.
ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
Wait … what? There are three undefeated champions I can think of off the top of my head.
He meant to be on the women’s thread
Kinds of makes his “know your facts.” jab a little ironic. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s from Northeast Ohio; Cleveland State is his measuring stick. And indeed, Notre Dame crushed the Vikings 25-3.

On the other hand, this ‘historic’ team also beat:

Ohio State by 3
Syracuse by 2
Duke by 3
Cornell by 1
And UVA by 2

Oh, they also LOST to #9 Georgetown.

And there are countless NCAA D1 winners who had 1 or fewer losses. See BigRed’s post.

Historic my arse.
Don’t forget about when they beat Duke by 10, UVA by 9, and then assaulted that Georgetown team in the tourney. This is without question a top 5 team of all time. Your clear disdain for the program is clouding your judgement, as it has all year.
Weak sauce. Needs a new recipe.
BigTurn

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by BigTurn »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:06 am
BigTurn wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:56 am
Finster wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:32 am

Shoulda coulda woulda. If rankings were purely transitive, maybe they would've been in the playoffs.

This ND team is certainly up there in the top 5 or top 10. I'm not old enough to go too deep in the history books, but only 2006 UVA and 2022 MD are definitely better. Even 2005 Hopkins eeked out wins en route to the championship. This ND team just got better and better as the season wore on. They avenged their lone loss. As of today, they're one of the best teams ever.

Also, I thought you bet on ND in the end? Just be grateful you went with your brain and not your heart.

Maybe throw money on PK now too since your GOAT had to watch today from PLL training camp.
Shoulda woulda coulda beat Georgetown at home. Didn’t. So not part of ‘the greatest teams ever’ conversation.
ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
Wait … what? There are three undefeated champions I can think of off the top of my head.

He’s from Northeast Ohio; Cleveland State is his measuring stick. And indeed, Notre Dame crushed the Vikings 25-3.

Ohio State by 3
Syracuse by 2
Duke by 3
Cornell by 1
And UVA by 2

And there are countless NCAA D1 winners who had 1 or fewer losses. See BigRed’s post.

Historic my arse.
Don’t forget about when they beat Duke by 10, UVA by 9, and then assaulted that Georgetown team in the tourney. This is without question a top 5 team of all time. Your clear disdain for the program is clouding your judgement, as it has all year.
Weak sauce. Needs a new recipe.
Good luck to the Big red on making the tournament next year. I think they’ll have what it takes to crack the top 16.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:26 am
NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 pm ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
The "natty" has been won 27 times by teams "with 1 or fewer losses."
And 13 of those teams were undefeated. Plus:
Cornell won back to back in 76-77 with 0 losses on the way to 42 straight wins
JHU won three in a row from 78-80 with a 40-2 record
UNC won back to back in 81-82 with a 26-0 record
JHU won back to back in 84-85 with a 27-1 record
Syracuse won three in a row from 88-90 with a 42-1 record
Princeton won three in a row from 96-98 with a 44-2 record
Syracuse (08-09), Duke (14-15) and UVA (19/21) also recently won back to back titles

And none of those teams won with rosters filled with graduate students. ND lost to Georgetown and was outplayed by a Cornell team with an average age about 2-3 years younger. And I can't remember a season when almost all the seeded teams limped into the tournament. ND didn't exactly beat a murderers' row of teams to win the title.

By all means, enjoy the two titles. Nobody is saying ND didn't deserve it or that they didn't have a great season.

But let's cut down on the hyperbole and the misinformation. Based on the above, I don't think ND sniffs the top 10 of all time, let alone the best ever.

But, of course, everything ND is the best, always/s :P Best team ever; best goalie ever; best coach ever; best assistant coaches ever; best attack ever; best uniforms ever; Best defense ever; best ride ever. Did I leave anything out?
DMac

Post by DMac »

You are 100% correct, Chousnake.

Question, when a team wins back to back to back titles does that count as one team?
Nope.
Back to back doesn't count as one team either.

Yup, you're 100% correct, not even sniffing.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Finster wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:32 am

Ohio State by 3
Syracuse by 2
Duke by 3
Cornell by 1
And UVA by 2

Historic my arse.
To be fair, many ND lacrosse fans are new to this whole lacrosse thing.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

A lot of old timers showing their saltiness lol. I hate ND as much as the next guy, but it's hard to say they aren't an all-time team. 16-0-1 this year (hockey record).

Two 80-point scorers at attack, with the 3rd scoring 40+ goals. Best goalie in the country. Great close D and rope units. Solid fogo who can scrum it up if the clamp isn't going his way. But the kicker... 3 lines of midfielders that can produce. 8 different midfielders scored in the National Championship... depth kills.

Kids today are so much bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled than back then. The average D1 lacrosse player now vs the D1 lacrosse player of the 80's/90's is much different. So much more athletic nowadays.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:26 am
NeOhLaxFan wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 10:53 pm ND was only one of two programs in the history of college lacrosse to win a natty with 1 or fewer losses.
Syracuse (08-09), Duke (14-15) and UVA (19/21) also recently won back to back titles

And none of those teams won with rosters filled with graduate students. ND lost to Georgetown and was outplayed by a Cornell team with an average age about 2-3 years younger. And I can't remember a season when almost all the seeded teams limped into the tournament. ND didn't exactly beat a murderers' row of teams to win the title.

By all means, enjoy the two titles. Nobody is saying ND didn't deserve it or that they didn't have a great season.

But let's cut down on the hyperbole and the misinformation. Based on the above, I don't think ND sniffs the top 10 of all time, let alone the best ever.

But, of course, everything ND is the best, always/s :P Best team ever; best goalie ever; best coach ever; best assistant coaches ever; best attack ever; best uniforms ever; Best defense ever; best ride ever. Did I leave anything out?
The mental gymnastics of you continually claiming Cornell outplayed ND, despite losing the game and not even making the tournament is laugh out loud funny. See a therapist.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:11 am A lot of old timers showing their saltiness lol. I hate ND as much as the next guy, but it's hard to say they aren't an all-time team. 16-0-1 this year (hockey record).

Two 80-point scorers at attack, with the 3rd scoring 40+ goals. Best goalie in the country. Great close D and rope units. Solid fogo who can scrum it up if the clamp isn't going his way. But the kicker... 3 lines of midfielders that can produce. 8 different midfielders scored in the National Championship... depth kills.

Kids today are so much bigger, faster, stronger, and more skilled than back then. The average D1 lacrosse player now vs the D1 lacrosse player of the 80's/90's is much different. So much more athletic nowadays.
they're not that much more athletic. or skilled. if that were true, you wouldn't have some players playing into their 30s. would be more if there was real money in it. they have better equipment. and better and more serious training. and it's deeper, as of course more people are playing. comparing eras is folly vs each other, if you're comparing teams it's vs the competition. and nd was 16 and 1. great season. can definitely be called an excellent team, but all-time and you're getting slotted. no shame in that.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:11 am A lot of old timers showing their saltiness lol. I hate ND as much as the next guy, but it's hard to say they aren't an all-time team. 16-0-1 this year (hockey record).

Take the players from the 70s and 80s and give them today's equipment, coaching, year round playing opportunities, and training techniques and they are just as big, fast, and skilled as the athletes today.

ND is an all time team along with 20-30+ or so other champions. As pointed out above, 27 other teams won titles with 1 or 0 losses. Imagine some of those teams in the 70s, 80s and 90s with their own players playing a 5th season, plus 4-5 grad students from other undergraduate schools playing a 5th year? Not even close. If this were some other team besides ND, I don't think we'd be reading this. Adding the 2022 15 month whine-a-thon to the 23 and 24 title runs and now this "greatest of all time" discussion is just over the top.

We are in the era of superlatives with every team being "generational" made up of "generational" players. Some perspective is needed. Not every team and player is the "best."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxter: "To be fair, many ND lacrosse fans are new to this whole lacrosse thing."
:lol: 👏

Seems to me that this was definitely the top team this year, no argument really, but "all-time" is pretty darn ratified air. And awful lot of dominant teams over each era can lay as good or superior claims to such acclamation, so rather silly to suggest that of ND as somehow uniquely special.

But kudos to this program for building to this level of success.
I'm not personally as impressed with such being done with lots of grad students and transfers, but them's the rules of the game and it's not as if some of the other tremendous teams of the past didn't have their own transfers make major contributions.

That said, I hope we see a return to fewer transfers and way fewer grad transfers. But I'm a bit of an old fuddy duddy where playing for your chosen school actually matters.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed May 29, 2024 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Whoever said ND had a historic season.. give me a break. As knowledgeable posters have already pointed out, they won just about half their games by a handful of goals or less. UVa was up by a few goals late in the 3rd quarter when they forgot how to pass and catch the ball...ND also lost to Gtown? No disrespect to Gtown, they have some nice standout defenders, for example, here and there but they've been a middling program for years.

ND '24 was a great team. They had such a beautiful, fluid offense, and it was great to watch. Historic? Please. This season was full of letdowns and pretenders. If anything, ND was the only great team in a sea of boring and lackluster competition.

I understand that ND fans are new to the party and if you hear ESPN on their knees for ND (they see $ sign and viewership, they don't care about lacrosse) you might believe it, but this season was more about not meeting expectations, not ND being historic.

And hurry up and give the Tewey to PKav, nobody cares anymore. Those guys are obnoxious and the whole "37th best player" comment just shows what sort of pricks they are. Win with grace...we get it. You have a chip on your shoulder blah blah blah. you were underrecruited, blah blah blah
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

More sour grapes 😂 keep it coming

I guess I’d be butthurt too if they stole a ring last year and then swept in embarrassing fashion this year.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

This Notre Dame team has been very special and it’s been an amazing and historic 2-year run. Happy for all in the ND lacrosse community.

It was pretty magical to be a Yale fan in 2018 and 2019 and it’s still a blast cheering on the Bulldogs now that they aren’t at the pinnacle but are in the next group of good teams figuring things out. From an on-field standpoint, the game has never been better and with streaming, it’s never been easier to watch your favorite teams. Hopefully NIL and transfer portal and unionization of college athletes all the rest of it doesn’t take away from those salient facts.

Enjoy the ride!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

“ ND '24 was a great team. They had such a beautiful, fluid offense, and it was great to watch. Historic?”

I would argue definitively. Schelly committed to Hopkins then flipped to VA. I would love go have had him but ND’s offense evolved to what it became bcs of PK. A more impactful player imo.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

But not the best lacrosse player in the world.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Best bagpipes.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:55 am

Take the players from the 70s and 80s and give them today's equipment, coaching, year round playing opportunities, and training techniques and they are just as big, fast, and skilled as the athletes today.

ND is an all time team along with 20-30+ or so other champions. As pointed out above, 27 other teams won titles with 1 or 0 losses. Imagine some of those teams in the 70s, 80s and 90s with their own players playing a 5th season, plus 4-5 grad students from other undergraduate schools playing a 5th year? Not even close. If this were some other team besides ND, I don't think we'd be reading this. Adding the 2022 15 month whine-a-thon to the 23 and 24 title runs and now this "greatest of all time" discussion is just over the top.

We are in the era of superlatives with every team being "generational" made up of "generational" players. Some perspective is needed. Not every team and player is the "best."
Known as The Calcaterra Effect.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Chousnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:55 am

I can think of two off the top of my head that I would have liked to have seen with the advantages of today's players,

Del Dressel and Eamon McEneaney,
those two were serious athletes.

There are others of course.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gobigred wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 12:56 pm

Best bagpipes.

At the quarterfinals at Hofstra, the ND fans were lined up for the Georgetown locker room after the game screaming at the players the usual ‘you blow etc…’ and to Warne they were yelling ‘hey you fat ‘eff’, not rolling around now’.

This was after the game.

Classy. The best fans.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”