Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by masondixonlax »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:49 am
keno in reno wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm All very well said! Would just point out that Cuse is also down two projected guys in their top 4 ssdms. Max Rosa injured in Michigan scrimmage and Landon Clary injured against Colgate.

Spallina drew slides throughout the game. He went 1-2, but also was the main reason for the Sam English goal since he got free to move to the goal after Spallina drew a slide and passed it to him. Could have easily had a couple more if Finn Thomson was able to finish from point blank range. Had a couple additional solid looks at cage 1v1 but McNaney swallowed them up. Actually one of those where he got his best look may have been with #50 on him, not Zappitello. As you mention, there have been far worse performances against Zappitello, even from decorated stars. I thought McNaney was MVP for MD. Set the tone early and intimidated our shooters. He has a way of making tough saves look effortless. Makes excellent reads on the location of shots. Shocked we were not able to pull out the victory outshooting MD by 20.
Honestly, any attacker in a good offense could have had more goals and points in any game. Terps fans can say the same thing about Erksa, Malever, Maltz etc.

Spallina is an excellent player and may have the best stick skills and instincts of any D1 player, but he is not athletic. A non-fanboy could easily say that his 1 goal was only because of a miscommunication on a pick, and one of his assists was barely released and bounced after he was shut down. Zappitello dominated him. Zappitello dominates almost everyone, so it's not the end of the season for him, but I think most unbiased observers and opposing coaches appreciate Spallina's skill while realizing he's not exactly unstoppable like Jared Bernhardt was (or Shellenberger and O'Neill).
Mayyybe if MD was not even sending a hint of a slide Spallinas way throughout the game I would be more fine with the use of the word "dominate" but that is just not how it went down man. That "barely released" assist you mention was with Spallina getting leverage topside from 10 yards out. The D was not comfortable with him there and slid. It was Spallina getting to his spot that lead to the goal, even if he could barely get energy on the pass with Zappitello draped on his arm. Very similar play on the Sam English goal that made it 7-6 cuse. Watch that tape. I assure you these are not just fanboy interpretations.

Unstoppable Shellenberger also went 1-2 against the matchup last time the two teams played. Eerily similar 1-7 shooting too. Pat Kav 1-2 on 1-9 shooting. There are more ways to be elite than insane speed and athleticism. But I am sensing we are deep in agree to disagree territory here.

Shoulda, coulda woulda argument. Spallina did fine but he did not stand out at all like he does when he plays Manhattan. Go fanboy on Syracuse forum
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

masondixonlax wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:23 am
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm All very well said! Would just point out that Cuse is also down two projected guys in their top 4 ssdms. Max Rosa injured in Michigan scrimmage and Landon Clary injured against Colgate.

Spallina drew slides throughout the game. He went 1-2, but also was the main reason for the Sam English goal since he got free to move to the goal after Spallina drew a slide and passed it to him. Could have easily had a couple more if Finn Thomson was able to finish from point blank range. Had a couple additional solid looks at cage 1v1 but McNaney swallowed them up. Actually one of those where he got his best look may have been with #50 on him, not Zappitello. As you mention, there have been far worse performances against Zappitello, even from decorated stars. I thought McNaney was MVP for MD. Set the tone early and intimidated our shooters. He has a way of making tough saves look effortless. Makes excellent reads on the location of shots. Shocked we were not able to pull out the victory outshooting MD by 20.
Honestly, any attacker in a good offense could have had more goals and points in any game. Terps fans can say the same thing about Erksa, Malever, Maltz etc.

Spallina is an excellent player and may have the best stick skills and instincts of any D1 player, but he is not athletic. A non-fanboy could easily say that his 1 goal was only because of a miscommunication on a pick, and one of his assists was barely released and bounced after he was shut down. Zappitello dominated him. Zappitello dominates almost everyone, so it's not the end of the season for him, but I think most unbiased observers and opposing coaches appreciate Spallina's skill while realizing he's not exactly unstoppable like Jared Bernhardt was (or Shellenberger and O'Neill).
Mayyybe if MD was not even sending a hint of a slide Spallinas way throughout the game I would be more fine with the use of the word "dominate" but that is just not how it went down man. That "barely released" assist you mention was with Spallina getting leverage topside from 10 yards out. The D was not comfortable with him there and slid. It was Spallina getting to his spot that lead to the goal, even if he could barely get energy on the pass with Zappitello draped on his arm. Very similar play on the Sam English goal that made it 7-6 cuse. Watch that tape. I assure you these are not just fanboy interpretations.

Unstoppable Shellenberger also went 1-2 against the matchup last time the two teams played. Eerily similar 1-7 shooting too. Pat Kav 1-2 on 1-9 shooting. There are more ways to be elite than insane speed and athleticism. But I am sensing we are deep in agree to disagree territory here.

Shoulda, coulda woulda argument. Spallina did fine but he did not stand out at all like he does when he plays Manhattan. Go fanboy on Syracuse forum
LMAO! Actually I am talking about plays that 100% happened! What is going on with y'all lol. Literally what am I saying that is fanboy nonsense?
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

So, it's Wednesday already, what about Princeton on Saturday? Terps will be at home. Princeton has played twice (Monmouth on Sunday and Manhattan on Tuesday) since Maryland was in the Dome. Princeton is ranked #13 (USILA.)
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

fsclax wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:40 am So, it's Wednesday already, what about Princeton on Saturday? Terps will be at home. Princeton has played twice (Monmouth on Sunday and Manhattan on Tuesday) since Maryland was in the Dome. Princeton is ranked #13 (USILA.)
I'm usually pretty conservative in next-game outlooks for the Terps, and Princeton has a ton of young talent, but I gotta believe that this may be Maryland's easiest game of a brutal schedule. The Georgetown Prep kids are great, and this could be the core of a future final 4 team. But they are freshmen and Princeton lost a ton of top 50 players last year. I would imagine Maryland's experience will take over.
FiveZeroEight

Post by FiveZeroEight »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 am

LMAO! Actually I am talking about plays that 100% happened! What is going on with y'all lol. Literally what am I saying that is fanboy nonsense?
Having just rewatched, I don't see how you can make the argument that Spallina got the better of Zappitello on this play. Spallina at no point had any separation from Zappitello. If anything, the adjacent defender made a poor decision to try to double and force a turnover as Spallina slowed down coming across the middle of the field, but its not like Zappitello got beat and needed help.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

FiveZeroEight wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:26 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:31 am

Having just rewatched, I don't see how you can make the argument that Spallina got the better of Zappitello on this play. Spallina at no point had any separation from Zappitello. If anything, the adjacent defender made a poor decision to try to double and force a turnover as Spallina slowed down coming across the middle of the field, but its not like Zappitello got beat and needed help.
Honestly maybe he should not have slid there. Maybe he should have trusted Zappitello on that play. 10 yards out with Zappitello draped on his arm maybe I would trust McNaney there. But the guy made a choice to slide adjacent, Spallina saw it and passed it off once he did, and it lead to a goal. That is what happened. I am just pointing out that he did draw some attention from the rest of the defense during the game and it lead to a couple goals for us and a handful of almosts as well. Nothing impressive about Spallinas actual goal. Just a miscommunication from MD. One of his assists was not really due to anything he did either. But he did make some things happen with the ball in his stick. Really don't think I am being an ignorant fanboy by saying that.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

sheesh, both of these guys are elite players, among the very best at their positions. If we're honest, we'd love to have each of them on whatever our favorite team is, bar none. Doesn't necessarily mean we'd trade our #1 for them, but we'd love to have them.

As to Spallina "not athletic" that's rather silly. Not many of us on here could hold his jock, including at our primes.

Great match-up that Zappitello got the better of that day, but I wouldn't use the word "dominate" as that's excessive. But he did get the clear better of it as he does nearly every match-up. He's a beast of a player. Very skilled, very smart. And yes, very "athletic".

How about we just say that there's a reason that he was matched on Spallina!
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:47 pm sheesh, both of these guys are elite players, among the very best at their positions. If we're honest, we'd love to have each of them on whatever our favorite team is, bar none. Doesn't necessarily mean we'd trade our #1 for them, but we'd love to have them.

As to Spallina "not athletic" that's rather silly. Not many of us on here could hold his jock, including at our primes.

Great match-up that Zappitello got the better of that day, but I wouldn't use the word "dominate" as that's excessive. But he did get the clear better of it as he does nearly every match-up. He's a beast of a player. Very skilled, very smart. And yes, very "athletic".

Thank you! And yes there is no doubt Zappitello got the better of the match up overall.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Zapitello is a seasoned player. Spallina has major expectations but a sophomore. I think there is some validity to his athleticism. But smarts and stick can work around that. My critique on him is he plays w his back to the defender and rides his defender at times unnecessarily. But both great players and will have a v good 2024!
LaxInSpace

Post by LaxInSpace »

I can't believe my eyes - a Testudo surprise!
The player was in the goal mouth - good replay never lies.
Basketball couldn't win one for Lefty. Looks like it's up to lacrosse.
#22 couldn't handle the pressure, Zappatello is a boss.

Not one, but two wins in the Dome on Saturday.
Lady Terps also coming home with a top 5 victory.
McNaney had a masterpiece - it was a goalie game galore.
Credit is due to the Orange, but they couldn't handle much more.

Princeton hasn't faced a team like us yet, time to give them a scare.
The Terps will have the Tigers' faces as white as Gait's hair.
Saturday at 2, we play at home in The Shell.
One day at a time, focus on this game, and give them hell!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Antonio114 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:47 pm sheesh, both of these guys are elite players, among the very best at their positions. If we're honest, we'd love to have each of them on whatever our favorite team is, bar none. Doesn't necessarily mean we'd trade our #1 for them, but we'd love to have them.

Thank you! And yes there is no doubt Zappitello got the better of the match up overall.
It was a terrific game, very entertaining and excellent lacrosse played, especially for February!

Especially enjoyed the goaltending performances, both first rate. They gave Mark fewer than I thought he had, but some of those saves were outstanding and McNaney reminded us why he's so special. To beat either of those guys required special shooting...as it should...
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

LaxInSpace wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:57 pm
The Terps will have the Tigers' faces as white as Gait's hair.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Mitchell Pehlke latest video starts off with him hanging out at Maryland’s pregame tailgate

Going to 4 D1 Lacrosse Games in 12 hours!

https://youtu.be/SY5s4CqcM2U?si=Gc18Hf5Imt7s3VFM
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

fsclax wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:40 am So, it's Wednesday already, what about Princeton on Saturday? Terps will be at home. Princeton has played twice (Monmouth on Sunday and Manhattan on Tuesday) since Maryland was in the Dome. Princeton is ranked #13 (USILA.)
QoC going to be a massive step-up for Princeton; but their offensive guys look like they're going to be ready to compete right away and pick up the load from what they lost a year ago. I think that attack unit could be one of the tougher ones for the Terps poles to defend all year. Conversely, they don't appear to have a lot of depth built up so far, and a lot of that production is coming from the attack. If the close D does the job as they usually do, I think they'll take care of business.

Their defense has looked strong the last 3 halves, but there was some shaky play I saw in the first half against Monmouth. Gianforcaro is an All-American level goalie. I think that's where they're going to wind up missing the graduation/portal losses the most. Pederson and Stevens were two of their best, if not best d-mids last year. This could be a game for the offense to continue some of the good play they showed at the end of the Cuse game.

I think Princeton has some moments with the Georgetown kids and Mackesy but overall too many Wierman faceoff wins and Princeton's defense isn't quite there yet. Competitive first half turns into a more lopsided second.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 pm
I'm usually pretty conservative in next-game outlooks for the Terps, and Princeton has a ton of young talent, but I gotta believe that this may be Maryland's easiest game of a brutal schedule. The Georgetown Prep kids are great, and this could be the core of a future final 4 team. But they are freshmen and Princeton lost a ton of top 50 players last year. I would imagine Maryland's experience will take over.
It's such a tough schedule. No cupcakes whatsoever.

Brown may be the easiest one actually. They've started off 0-2 and both losses were by a pretty good margin, but they're usually a good team so I don't expect them to be some kind of doormat, either.

Princeton's young guns at attack are really good, but it's one thing to face Manhattan and another to face the Maryland defense & goalie as a freshman. Maryland should win this one, but Princeton is a good team for sure.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

IMO Terps slowly then suddenly pull away. Wierman, Mac, D do their thing. Terps by 7
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 am
keno in reno wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 pm
It's such a tough schedule. No cupcakes whatsoever.

Brown may be the easiest one actually. They've started off 0-2 and both losses were by a pretty good margin, but they're usually a good team so I don't expect them to be some kind of doormat, either.

Princeton's young guns at attack are really good, but it's one thing to face Manhattan and another to face the Maryland defense & goalie as a freshman. Maryland should win this one, but Princeton is a good team for sure.
I am non biased in this contest, but believe Maryland exposes Princeton for all the reasons mentioned above. Princeton though a good Ivy team last year, wasn't exactly a juggernaut in D1 lacrosse and so many of their best upperclassmen are playing elsewhere. Their Freshman haven't been tested yet and are gonna get a major league intro to the top level of D1 lacrosse. Terps by 8 and clear their bench in the 4th. It won't be close.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland will honor Special Operator First Class Christopher J. Chambers who died last month while heroically serving his country and trying to help save a fellow Navy SEAL by wearing CJC helmet stickers tomorrow. Chris was a 2009 Maryland graduate. He was on the swim team and was the Testudo mascot while at Maryland

https://x.com/terpsmlax/status/17610794 ... EO2hFStaxg

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”