Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by bearlaxfan »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:33 am Here is a WAY too early swag at how the Ivy schedule could play out from Brown’s perspective. The Bears are fortunate that they only had to play one league game without their “loud leaders.” Although they missed a win by only 18 seconds, there is still a relatively clear path to the ILT with only a 2-4 record. In this scenario, it all comes down to beating a Yale squad that is struggling to find its defensive footing. That game is at Yale, but if Bruno can show up in reasonably good health, I like their chances.

Looking at Brown’s competition for the fourth ILT spot, Yale has a tough road ahead with road games at Princeton and at Harvard, a team that may be playing for pride in The Game. It’s hard to get a handle on the identity of this Harvard team that returned most of its key pieces from 2022, but is struggling to regain its mojo. Dartmouth has the most difficult remaining schedule of anyone in the league. I hope I am wrong that they will only have one Ivy win this season. With their FO strength, they have a chance to be competitive against teams with deeper overall talent.

Given the history of big surprises in Ivy League play, there is zero chance it plays out this way, but I thought I’d throw this against the wall. Games in bold have already been played.

Cornell 6-0 W: @Yale, Penn, Dartmouth, @Harvard, @Brown Princeton
Penn 5-1 W: Princeton, Yale, @Brown, @Harvard, Dartmouth L: @Cornell
Princeton 4-2 W: Yale, Brown, @Dartmouth, Harvard L: @Penn, @Cornell
Brown 2-4 W: @Dartmouth, @Yale L: Harvard, @Princeton, Penn, Cornell
—---------------------
Yale 2-4 W: Dartmouth, @Harvard L: Cornell, @Princeton, @Penn, Brown
Harvard 1-5 W: @Brown, L: @Dartmouth, Cornell, Penn, @Princeton, Yale
Dartmouth 1-5 W: Harvard L: @Cornell, @Yale, Princeton, @Penn, Brown

Brown dropped 20 on Yale last year. Whatever else may be going on in New Haven, I think Brown's 2nd win (assuming your overall premise) better come somewhere else. If healthy, I think they can beat Penn in Pvd; Penn tends to play close games. But I guess in this scenario, 2-4 is out.
🕰️ will tell.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:42 am ILT represents quite a contrast from last year, when a team that didn’t make it made the FF. This year it could easily determine whether the league gets one or two bids. Is it too early to tell, or is Cornell going to go undefeated in conference play? I think Cornell is a notch above the rest but expect the toughness of conference rivalry to produce an upset. That said, to the eyes of this ACC guy, Cornell looks like an ACC team while the other three strong Ivy teams appear to have star players at the top of the roster but lack the depth of Maryland and three or four of the ACC teams.
The ILT is to be played at Columbia U this year, so precious little advantage to being the top seed. I can easily imagine Cornell being undefeated in regular-season conference play, then losing in the ILT but still making the NCAA tourney (as Brown did in 2016 and Yale did in 2018). Right now, to my eyes Cornell clearly looks like the cream of the Ivies. I also think that Cornell is better with Long than without him; so far this year, we've seen Long only in the Yale game. Let's see how injuries and such play out this season (Brown faithful have unhappy memories of a 2016 Dylan Molloy injury). Lots of conference games left to play, but these remaining games seem vital. It's been a sobering year for any number of Ivy teams, no doubt about it, with the Cornell and Dartmouth faithful perhaps being the only satisfied ones so far.
nms

Post by nms »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:42 am ILT represents quite a contrast from last year, when a team that didn’t make it made the FF. This year it could easily determine whether the league gets one or two bids. Is it too early to tell, or is Cornell going to go undefeated in conference play? I think Cornell is a notch above the rest but expect the toughness of conference rivalry to produce an upset. That said, to the eyes of this ACC guy, Cornell looks like an ACC team while the other three strong Ivy teams appear to have star players at the top of the roster but lack the depth of Maryland and three or four of the ACC teams.
Even after a year in which ACC superiority disappeared, I guess it is no surprise that the arrogance of ACC fans is unchanged. I don't recall anyone last year saying "Virginia looks like an Ivy League team"

Would it really have been so painful to write a non-provocative comment like "Cornell looks like a top-quality team"
Finster

Post by Finster »

nms wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:58 pm
Even after a year in which ACC superiority disappeared, I guess it is no surprise that the arrogance of ACC fans is unchanged. I don't recall anyone last year saying "Virginia looks like an Ivy League team"

Would it really have been so painful to write a non-provocative comment like "Cornell looks like a top-quality team"

I’ll help the Ivies this Friday when I’ll be at Klockner cheering on Duke against the home team. I’ve never cheered for Duke in anything. There’s a first for everything!

Go Blue Devils!

Also, Cornell is surging. They can hang and beat UVA/MD/ND/Duke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

There is no arrogance there.

Three of the ACC teams have separated themselves from
the pack.
Even a casual DI lacrosse fan would see this.
The ACCs are who teams are going to be compared to.
Last year, it was the Ivies — well, really Maryland and the Ivies.
nms

Post by nms »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:14 pm

the pack.
I don't see a top 3 of ACC teams right now.
If you want to talk about a top 5 of 3ACCs, Md and Cornell as of now, that would be reasonable.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

the pack.
That top tier ACC talent…Bless it’s heart….McGovern was at Bryant and Gray was at BU…..best players at UNC after they stepped on the field….Will Perry flipped from Providence…. Didn’t a guy from Merrimack step on to the grounds at UVA as a starter along with a player from Vermont? It’s too bad the other conferences only attract leftover athletes….
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:34 pm

the pack.
That top tier ACC talent…Bless it’s heart….McGovern was at Bryant and Gray was at BU…..best players at UNC after they stepped on the field….Will Perry flipped from Providence…. Didn’t a guy from Merrimack step on to the grounds at UVA as a starter along with a player from Vermont? It’s too bad the other conferences only attract leftover athletes….
Bless their heart is some real dirty trash talking! Love it.

UNC has a kid from Mercer as well. Dukes transfer goalies, Syracuse with kids from Lehigh, denver, Holy Cross FOGO they ran into the ground and the LIU kids.

Of course it a a bunch of programs who get pushed around in Football by the big boys who talk here in lacrosse. Most of the ACC is going to get left behind. S**t flows downhill. There’s almost
An inverse relationship between BigTen football and lacrosse
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

meh. b1g football and basketball trophy cases are getting awfully cobwebby the last couple decades.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 pm meh. b1g football and basketball trophy cases are getting awfully cobwebby the last couple decades.
Sure but big difference between OSU/PSU/Mich and Md/Rut/Hop football yet sometimes those are the folks talking the most about athletes and all the money.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:39 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:25 pm meh. b1g football and basketball trophy cases are getting awfully cobwebby the last couple decades.
Sure but big difference between OSU/PSU/Mich and Md/Rut/Hop football yet sometimes those are the folks talking the most about athletes and all the money.
well, that's a tale as old as time. it's how u can tell the difference between old money and the nouveau riche.
Typical Lax Dad

Meh…

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:55 pm

Meh…

geno and co. might have some more in them. b1g has 2 swings @ the ff tonite. already have one in.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:01 pm

Meh…

geno and co. might have some more in them. b1g has 2 swings @ the ff tonite. already have one in.
Danny might get one….for the thumb but who is counting…..
“I wish you would!”
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Agreed. Does the BigTen even still play football?
Typical Lax Dad

ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:10 pm
The Ohio State University and University of Michigan are dropping down to 1-AA.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Meh…

they have to be the favorites. but this year, that hasn't turned out to be a good thing. uconn but for one stretch has been v good.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Meh…

they have to be the favorites. but this year, that hasn't turned out to be a good thing. uconn but for one stretch has been v good.
Haven’t lost an OOC game all season but there is always a first…..anyone can win this tournament. I said it before the tournament started….it has been that kind of year.
“I wish you would!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:11 pm
ICGrad wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:10 pm
The Ohio State University and University of Michigan are dropping down to 1-AA.
And here I'd heard that they were both joining the NFL... oh, and nice win by Brown today over Villanova!
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Brown seems like a bit of an under the radar team with those suspended seniors back in the lineup. They accounted for 6 of Brown's 13 goals today against Villanova. I suspect Brown will end up doing pretty well in Ivy League play.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”