Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Rutgers 2025

Post by pcowlax »

Right, what I said. If you play in, I believe, 4 or fewer games or no more than 30% of the games and then miss the rest of the season due to injury, you can apply to redshirt. More than that and the year is gone (unless the NCAA just decides to give everyone an extra year). You can apply for it later but it gets harder to get approved. If he was injured, it would have made no sense to wait three more years to retroactively try to get that season counted as a redshirt. Could have been a mistake but would have been a terrible one and would have needed the player not to bring it up either.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:41 pm Right, what I said. If you play in, I believe, 4 or fewer games or no more than 30% of the games and then miss the rest of the season due to injury, you can apply to redshirt. More than that and the year is gone (unless the NCAA just decides to give everyone an extra year). You can apply for it later but it gets harder to get approved. If he was injured, it would have made no sense to wait three more years to retroactively try to get that season counted as a redshirt. Could have been a mistake but would have been a terrible one and would have needed the player not to bring it up either.
there is no 4 game rule for lacrosse, but yes, for a medical redshirt it is no more than 30% of contests (including scrimmage dates, and including the game that takes you over the 30%) and the injury must've occurred in the front half of the season. degnon just got a waiver after applying late. i believe smith @ hopkins is in the midst of doing the same right now. it's not uncommon from my memory, but we're both commenting on it and i'm not even sure what his situation is. kirst at rutgers got one after applying late.

by mistake what i meant was... i would guess he didn't played in that one game. it seems like an information error. no coach would play a freshman for one game late in the season, to take one shot, and then.... not play him again. could be wrong.

if the above is not the case, and he did play, the most logical explanation is that he had an injury earlier in the year (in the front 50% of the season), and he was unable to finish the season healthy because of that injury. that's all assuming he actually has another year.

Post by 1766 »

The NCAA gives out waivers almost upon asking.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:58 pm The NCAA gives out waivers almost upon asking.
i really haven't seen any that haven't conformed to the rules.

Post by 1766 »

Cool

Post by 1766 »

Brian Mack First Team All MAAC transferring in from Siena. Ben Stephanos from UMBC transferring in as well.

That brings the total to five for this period. There is the possibility of one more. The transfer market is very competitive now. In many ways more than high school.
Last edited by 1766 on Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

NM
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:14 pm Brian Mack First Team All MAAC transferring in from Siena. Ben Stephanos from UMBC transferring in as well.

That brings the total to five for this period. There is the possibility of one more. The transfer market is very competitive now. In many ways more than high school.
With the transfer market getting more competitive, the quality of transfers Rutgers has landed has taken a real hit.

Knobloch and Scott have looked awesome out of the gate in the PLL. Has to be scary that you went 2-10 in the B1G in their final two seasons, and now have to how navigate life without them. Could be dark dark times.

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:51 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:14 pm Brian Mack First Team All MAAC transferring in from Siena. Ben Stephanos from UMBC transferring in as well.

With the transfer market getting more competitive, the quality of transfers Rutgers has landed has taken a real hit.

Knobloch and Scott have looked awesome out of the gate in the PLL. Has to be scary that you went 2-10 in the B1G in their final two seasons, and now have to how navigate life without them. Could be dark dark times.
I'd be more concerned if I was a Uva fan. All that generational talent walking out the door after getting blown out. Tough spot.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:13 pm

I'd be more concerned if I was a Uva fan. All that generational talent walking out the door after getting blown out. Tough spot.
Totally comparable situations, one school who can go countrywide and pretty much handpick whatever 5 star recruits / transfers it wants vs a school who can’t even keep the top talent in its own state to stay home and has to dumpster dive. Both in similar spots for sure :lol:

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:35 pm

Totally comparable situations, one school who can go countrywide and pretty much handpick whatever 5 star recruits / transfers it wants vs a school who can’t even keep the top talent in its own state to stay home and has to dumpster dive. Both in similar spots for sure :lol:
All that and you got blown out by the 3rd place B1G team on the biggest stage. Sounds worse that I thought.

I thought you said Shane Knobloch was lighting up the PLL? Pretty sure he's from NJ.

Dumpster Dive? Uva sure is active in that dumpster. Must not be confident in all that talent sitting on the bench.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:39 pm

All that and you got blown out by the 3rd place B1G team on the biggest stage. Sounds worse that I thought.
Oh UVA is in trouble, not a talent problem, more that they haven’t played consistent defense since 2011. But to say that they are in a similar spot to Rutgers, who is on the verge of another two decades of irrelevance, is funny.

UVA isn’t even my team, I’m just an objective lacrosse fan.

Post by 1766 »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:45 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:39 pm

Oh UVA is in trouble, not a talent problem, more that they haven’t played consistent defense since 2011. But to say that they are in a similar spot to Rutgers, who is on the verge of another two decades of irrelevance, is funny.

UVA isn’t even my team, I’m just an objective lacrosse fan.
You said that two years ago. I’m thinking you don’t understand lacrosse.

So who is your team? You can’t possibly blow them more than Iva
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

why is it always a pissing contest when it comes to portal activity? it always comes back to rutgers. they were the first team to do it and had great success with it the Kirst years. haven’t had much success since - but now every team does it.

fact is RU plays in the best conference in america. they’ve gotten some good talent and honestly should be doing better than they have. at some point BB’s leash has gotta be running out.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:54 pm why is it always a pissing contest when it comes to portal activity? it always comes back to rutgers. they were the first team to do it and had great success with it the Kirst years. haven’t had much success since - but now every team does it.

fact is RU plays in the best conference in america. they’ve gotten some good talent and honestly should be doing better than they have. at some point BB’s leash has gotta be running out.
Your most prolific Rutgers poster is always making absurd Homer boasts, and constantly denigrating other programs, which invites negative feedback. Do some posters bait him? They certainly do and I wish they wouldn't so he would just go away. Even your comment here, "RU plays in the best conference in America" isn't even close to being factual when it comes to lacrosse. What's the point of even claiming that?
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:37 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:54 pm why is it always a pissing contest when it comes to portal activity? it always comes back to rutgers. they were the first team to do it and had great success with it the Kirst years. haven’t had much success since - but now every team does it.

Your most prolific Rutgers poster is always making absurd Homer boasts, and constantly denigrating other programs, which invites negative feedback. Do some posters bait him? They certainly do and I wish they wouldn't so he would just go away. Even your comment here, "RU plays in the best conference in America" isn't even close to being factual when it comes to lacrosse. What's the point of even claiming that?
At worst the Big 10 was the 2nd best conference. I still have the ACC as #1. They recruit better than anyone. Big 10 vs ACC is startign to become a conversation.

Post by 1766 »

blue angels wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:37 am

Always denigrating other programs? That’s laughable.

People like to mix it up in here. I’m fine with that. I suggest calling out the people who like to “bait” if you aren’t.

Post by 1766 »

Rutgers isn’t firing a coach who has been to the tournament two out of the last four years and hasn’t had a losing season since I’m not sure when. Three tourney wins over that time including a FF has his stock high within the AD.

Coach Brecht signed a new contract 2 years ago I believe. His leash is long.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:54 pm it always comes back to rutgers. they were the first team to do it
Why do Rutgers fans keep claiming this? It's not true. There was all sorts of transfer portal stuff already going on — Sowers, Robertson, Adler to Duke; Gray and McCarthy to UNC, Morrill, Cotler, and Ierlan to Denver; Thornton, Yorke, and Gallagher to Notre Dame; Bertrand to Virginia, the list goes on and on. Rutgers did not discover transfers any earlier than any other team did. What they have done is rely on the portal more than any other team. They brought in, what, 15 transfers this year?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

1766 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:00 am

Rutgers isn’t firing a coach who has been to the tournament two out of the last four years and hasn’t had a losing season since I’m not sure when. Three tourney wins over that time including a FF has his stock high within the AD.

Coach Brecht signed a new contract 2 years ago I believe. His leash is long.

his leash shouldn’t be long. you can take your scarlet colored glasses off and see that he’s not a good recruiter and hasn’t had great success, save the deep tourney run with a roster full of grad student. i’m a rutgers fan but sometimes a voice gets stale in a locker room. he’s 23-22 in conference play and 3-4 in the tourney. if you wanna be a serious program, that’s not good enough.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”