THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tu_fan

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by tu_fan »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:07 am
baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 pm
tu_fan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm
baltlaxdad1966 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm There's not a reason for anyone to over react. Anyone who thinks Towson ends this season ahead of Hop is a clown. Hop has more weapons on offense than they know what to do with. Epstein is going to take over this thing, let Williams be a wing dodger or have those to work 2 man behind the net and let the rest of the guys fill off ball type roles. System will work out. Nothing worth freaking out about.
Hop to the final 4 lock it in
I'll take action on that if you truly feel that way. Towson has been a superior team over the last 4 years, finishing ahead of JHU in 2016 and 2017 (measured by who made a deeper run in the playoffs). Did you watch the game? JHU was dominated in every phase (shots, ground balls, forced turnovers, face-offs).
Great points. I watched the entire game but I appreciate the metrics you provided. Towson is the real deal, and they've definitely got a chance to be a threat in the NCAA tournament. However, I think it's really a simple minded thing to just assume because the first game of the season went to Towson that the Jays don't end up in front of them. Will be a fun one to track without a doubt but you and I are clearly at odds on this. Cheers to a great season!
TU vs Hop has only recently become a "rivalry"...it has been Towson's Super Bowl for years. One thing is almost certain, Hopkins will play way better then they did in this game and the Towson will play much worse.

How do you measure who is ahead at the end of the season? Most wins? Who goes the furthest in the tournament? Head to head? Results against common opponents?
Agree with most of your points. I think Towson finishes ahead of JHU in the final rankings. It's risky to say they make a deeper playoff run with the CAA potentially being a 1 bid league. Regardless, JHU is a great squad that happened to have an off game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Oak St wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 pm
Drcthru summed it up perfectly for the Nopkins 2019 season. “Hope for the best but prepare for disappointment”

No heart on Saturday, team quit game 1 and they were getting BULLIED all over the field.
You'd think that the guy who's a fan of a team that is 15-15 over the past two seasons which included a 7-game losing streak and a missed NCAA berth (talk about quitting), as well as an inability to beat Hofstra, would not cast aspersions about another team "quitting" based on the first game of a 13+ game season against a good Towson team. But you'd be wrong. Loving the street name change though, "Oak St." Is that so people don't remember your old handle?
tu_fan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm Towson has been a superior team over the last 4 years, finishing ahead of JHU in 2016 and 2017 (measured by who made a deeper run in the playoffs).
I dunno. In the last four seasons, both teams have 1 Final Four, 1 quarterfinal appearance, and 2 conference championships. Towson missed the NCAA tournament last year with a losing record, but they had the more recent FF appearance, so I'll call that a wash. I would argue Hop's conference titles are more impressive. Seems about even in terms of success to me. Teams were 2-2 against eachother, with a combined score of...44-44. Obviously Towson was the superior team last weekend. But don't really see the argument of sustained superiority over the period of time you mentioned.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am
You'd think that the guy who's a fan of a team that is 15-15 over the past two seasons which included a 7-game losing streak and a missed NCAA berth (talk about quitting), as well as an inability to beat Hofstra, would not cast aspersions about another team "quitting" based on the first game of a 13+ game season against a good Towson team. But you'd be wrong. Loving the street name change though, "Oak St." Is that so people don't remember your old handle?
All of this the team quitting stuff and the "sky is falling" stuff from the media is nonsense. Yes, Hopkins didn't look good the first game. No, Quint, I don't think the problems are "unsolvable." Towson was my preseason pick to win the CAA. I'm disappointed that Hopkins didn't play better, but I'm not super surprised that the game didn't go our way. Many in this thread (HopFan16 sticks out to me as one) actually pretty well nailed ahead of time the issues that Hopkins would have against Towson: at the faceoff X and with overall player size.

The way I see it, Hopkins needs to at least split the following four games: @UNC, @Princeton, @Syracuse, UVA. I do not think that is an unrealistic goal. I would say all of those teams are likely in the 10th-20th range overall in D1 (maybe one just higher or one just lower, but you get the gist). If that happens, I think Hopkins is -- at the very worst -- 4-4 heading into Big Ten conference play. If that's the case, and Hopkins was 4-4 or better, it's all left to play for.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Drcthru summed it up perfectly for the Nopkins 2019 season. “Hope for the best but prepare for disappointment”

No heart on Saturday, team quit game 1 and they were getting BULLIED all over the field.
tu_fan wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 pm Towson has been a superior team over the last 4 years, finishing ahead of JHU in 2016 and 2017 (measured by who made a deeper run in the playoffs).
I dunno. In the last four seasons, both teams have 1 Final Four, 1 quarterfinal appearance, and 2 conference championships. Towson missed the NCAA tournament last year with a losing record, but they had the more recent FF appearance, so I'll call that a wash. I would argue Hop's conference titles are more impressive. Seems about even in terms of success to me. Teams were 2-2 against eachother, with a combined score of...44-44. Obviously Towson was the superior team last weekend. But don't really see the argument of sustained superiority over the period of time you mentioned.
I don't know.......zooMASS represented the CAA pretty well in the tourney. Besides Towson, who does Hopkins evah schedule from the CAA (sure, the Hens in 18/19, but Drexel isn't too far of a drive. )

Oh, I forgot, Hopkins isn't allowed to travel OVER the Hudson river to play games. No Fairfield, UMass (CAA) No Yale. No Harvard, Bryant, Brown, Boston U. No Mass-Lowell, no UVM, Dartmouth. No Providence, Quinny or Hartford. Essentially, 20% of Div. I teams are east of the Hudson......and Hopkins hasn't played ANY of these teams in the regular season....unless you wanna count the times before electricity. You wanna talk "impressive" ? Especially for a college that was "independent" for 99% of its life.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am
Oh, I forgot, Hopkins isn't allowed to travel OVER the Hudson river to play games. No Fairfield, UMass (CAA) No Yale. No Harvard, Bryant, Brown, Boston U. No Mass-Lowell, no UVM, Dartmouth. No Providence, Quinny or Hartford. Essentially, 20% of Div. I teams are east of the Hudson......and Hopkins hasn't played ANY of these teams in the regular season....unless you wanna count the times before electricity. You wanna talk "impressive" ? Especially for a college that was "independent" for 99% of its life.
Out of the teams that you mentioned, maybe 3 of them add real value to a non-conference schedule in an average year. Aside from those, why play teams from that far away when local teams of similar quality - that Hopkins has history with - are available?
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am I dunno. In the last four seasons, both teams have 1 Final Four, 1 quarterfinal appearance, and 2 conference championships. Towson missed the NCAA tournament last year with a losing record, but they had the more recent FF appearance, so I'll call that a wash. I would argue Hop's conference titles are more impressive. Seems about even in terms of success to me. Teams were 2-2 against eachother, with a combined score of...44-44. Obviously Towson was the superior team last weekend. But don't really see the argument of sustained superiority over the period of time you mentioned.
I don't know.......zooMASS represented the CAA pretty well in the tourney. Besides Towson, who does Hopkins evah schedule from the CAA (sure, the Hens in 18/19, but Drexel isn't too far of a drive. )

LOL this is a new one.

You're right, Hopkins should definitely cancel its non-conference rivalries with Loyola, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia to play Dartmouth, UMass-Lowell, and Hartford. Petro, what are you waiting for? Give the people what they want.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:32 am
Out of the teams that you mentioned, maybe 3 of them add real value to a non-conference schedule in an average year. Aside from those, why play teams from that far away when local teams of similar quality - that Hopkins has history with - are available?
To impress :D
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 am I dunno. In the last four seasons, both teams have 1 Final Four, 1 quarterfinal appearance, and 2 conference championships. Towson missed the NCAA tournament last year with a losing record, but they had the more recent FF appearance, so I'll call that a wash. I would argue Hop's conference titles are more impressive. Seems about even in terms of success to me. Teams were 2-2 against eachother, with a combined score of...44-44. Obviously Towson was the superior team last weekend. But don't really see the argument of sustained superiority over the period of time you mentioned.

LOL this is a new one.

You're right, Hopkins should definitely cancel its non-conference rivalries with Loyola, North Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia to play Dartmouth, UMass-Lowell, and Hartford. Petro, what are you waiting for? Give the people what they want.
Or, maybe he paid attention to the UNC-zooMass short series, especially when the Tar Heels ventured to play in Amherst. You remember what happened in that game, write? Interesting that you left Yale, Brown and Harvard off the list. Besides Dartmouth, you sleep on any of those other teams....and you might get avian blue bird flu.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 pm

LOL this is a new one.

Or, maybe he paid attention to the UNC-zooMass short series, especially when the Tar Heels ventured to play in Amherst. You remember what happened in that game, write? Interesting that you left Yale, Brown and Harvard off the list. Besides Dartmouth, you sleep on any of those other teams....and you might get avian blue bird flu.
No need to further plead your case. I'm already petitioning the Hopkins athletic department to leave the Big Ten and join the MAAC so they are guaranteed games against Quinnipiac and Canisius. How they allowed this affront to go on for so long is simply irredeemable.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins worked hard to maintain those rivalries. Those coaches wanted to retain Hopkins as well .
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:17 pm No need to further plead your case. I'm already petitioning the Hopkins athletic department to leave the Big Ten and join the MAAC so they are guaranteed games against Quinnipiac and Canisius. How they allowed this affront to go on for so long is simply irredeemable.
Well, Canisius is west of the Hudson... Better that Hopkins join the Ivy, where their Columbia blue unis would make the Jays the perfect fit for Ancient Eight lacrosse. By the way, does JHU women's lacrosse also compete in the Big 10?
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pmWell, Canisius is west of the Hudson... Better that Hopkins join the Ivy, where their Columbia blue unis would make the Jays the perfect fit for Ancient Eight lacrosse. By the way, does JHU women's lacrosse also compete in the Big 10?
JHU has a problem joining conferences being D1 in lacrosse only and the NC$$ has effectively dictated that all D1 lacrosse must be conference-based. JHU being in the B1G is for B1G's tournament qualification convenience.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
molo

Post by molo »

Hopkins consistently plays an extremely demanding schedule. They have maintained traditional rivalries with the likes of Towson, UVA, SU, Loyola, UNC while playing in a conference that no longer has any weak teams.
Criticize them as you wish for the way they played against Towson--and for what I think may be the way they play against some other teams this year--but they have one of, if not the toughest schedules in the country.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:36 pm Hopkins consistently plays an extremely demanding schedule. They have maintained traditional rivalries with the likes of Towson, UVA, SU, Loyola, UNC while playing in a conference that no longer has any weak teams.
Criticize them as you wish for the way they played against Towson--and for what I think may be the way they play against some other teams this year--but they have one of, if not the toughest schedules in the country.
Preseason SOS

@CFJastrzembski
Follow Follow @CFJastrzembski
More
Top 10 overall SOS goes like this:

1. @PennStateMLAX (.605)
2. @OhioStateMLAX (.588)
3. @Towson_MLAX (.582)
4. @jhumenslacrosse (.568)
5. @MarquetteMLax (.555)
6. @LoyolaMLAX (.553)
T7. @YaleLacrosse & @TigerLacrosse (.550)
9. @DrexelMLax (.544)
10. @UVAMensLax (.534)

6:21 PM - 5 Dec 2018
Last edited by Drcthru on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:25 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm

What counts is percentage of goals that are assisted, which, for some strange reason, is not kept. That HIGH scoring game you love this weekend, only 2 of the 7 goals were assisted. 28%. Not good at all.

Hopkins had 6 assists against Towson, a tad bit behind the 2018 overall assists of 7.29 per game. The more important number is 62%, which is how many goals Hopkins scored last year 2018,that were assisted . In the loss to Towson, assist to goal percentage is 75%. That's pretty darn good. Towsons assit per goal percentage was 41%....nine point lower than the overall 50% from last year. Hopkins up, Towson Down. (btw, Nitme lions are up, so far, this season )

Hopkins won just as many FO's in the 1st quarter as they did the 2nd. Didn't they have a 4-2 lead? No mention of Towson's 6 more CTO's (11 total) than Hopkins. Yes, pieces of good brew.........
CTOs are a huge issue but your middle paragraph is sort of pointless. Who cares if Hopkins had a higher rate of assist goals than Towson. Towson can point to the one stat that matter - scoreboard.
Hey, just answering TLD's question, don't blame my pointlessness, but understand the point. Pretty much sums up the life, mostly :D
No, there’s breeding. That’s not pointless. We have to be creating the next generations to be involved in Hopkins Lacrosse.

Then there’s the practicing of breeding. I’m talking about PRACTICE!

That’s huge.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

LOL this is a new one.

You’re being kind by calling some animals people.

And by the looks of it, some who complain about the TV schedule watched the JHU-TU game. Hmm.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:25 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:22 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm

What counts is percentage of goals that are assisted, which, for some strange reason, is not kept. That HIGH scoring game you love this weekend, only 2 of the 7 goals were assisted. 28%. Not good at all.

Hopkins had 6 assists against Towson, a tad bit behind the 2018 overall assists of 7.29 per game. The more important number is 62%, which is how many goals Hopkins scored last year 2018,that were assisted . In the loss to Towson, assist to goal percentage is 75%. That's pretty darn good. Towsons assit per goal percentage was 41%....nine point lower than the overall 50% from last year. Hopkins up, Towson Down. (btw, Nitme lions are up, so far, this season )

Hopkins won just as many FO's in the 1st quarter as they did the 2nd. Didn't they have a 4-2 lead? No mention of Towson's 6 more CTO's (11 total) than Hopkins. Yes, pieces of good brew.........
CTOs are a huge issue but your middle paragraph is sort of pointless. Who cares if Hopkins had a higher rate of assist goals than Towson. Towson can point to the one stat that matter - scoreboard.
Hey, just answering TLD's question, don't blame my pointlessness, but understand the point. Pretty much sums up the life, mostly :D
No, there’s breeding. That’s not pointless. We have to be creating the next generations to be involved in Hopkins Lacrosse.

Then there’s the practicing of breeding. I’m talking about PRACTICE!

That’s huge.
some are less huge than others.......then it all comes down to speed....
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

You'd think that the guy who's a fan of a team that is 15-15 over the past two seasons which included a 7-game losing streak and a missed NCAA berth (talk about quitting), as well as an inability to beat Hofstra, would not cast aspersions about another team "quitting" based on the first game of a 13+ game season against a good Towson team.
I think it is fair game to cast those aspersions. The Hopkins Head Coach said the team quit.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 pm

You'd think that the guy who's a fan of a team that is 15-15 over the past two seasons which included a 7-game losing streak and a missed NCAA berth (talk about quitting), as well as an inability to beat Hofstra, would not cast aspersions about another team "quitting" based on the first game of a 13+ game season against a good Towson team.
I think it is fair game to cast those aspersions. The Hopkins Head Coach said the team quit.
The part where hop16 glosses over are the final scores of all those losses. ANd, not seeing a 7 game losing streak during the 2018 season. It doesn't exist.

Some of the "quitting" for Towson in 2018
One goal game against Loyola, with 3:33 left
Two goal loss to Duke, tied in the 4th quarter.
Denver went 3-5 on Man ups in it's OT win. Towson had ONE man up play....hillaryous
ZooMass game was close.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:27 am ANd, not seeing a 7 game losing streak during the 2018 season. It doesn't exist.
Please read closely before posting. I was very clearly talking about OakSt's Tar Heels, not Towson.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”