Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by oldbartman »

New podcast

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... sode-37/49

Coach talks about better need for wing play on faceoffs. Defense having to execute better. Also mentions injuries sideling some guys resulting in some different players getting PT.. No names, but a bit disconcerting.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Glad Bach is back. SHU goalie playing well.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Not a bad half-time score. But our turnovers are ugly. And the SHU announcers are right ... SHU out-hustled Hobart on ground balls.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

7-6 ... this is killing me ...
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Weird that these guys scored a bunch on Cornell and Syracuse but seem to be struggling here. Hobart has had possession and the shots, but the SH goalie has been terrific.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

bad memories of years past ... 7-7 ... This should be a 12-5 game right now.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:30 pm Weird that these guys scored a bunch on Cornell and Syracuse but seem to be struggling here. Hobart has had possession and the shots, but the SH goalie has been terrific.
Hobart has pulled back from several opportunities to play quickly .... I think it is a mistake to change the tempo so much. SHU is dictating the pace, and I think that is a coaching error. Hobart is playing terribly.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

We never get to play with nice things . . .
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

That was a lousy final play at the end of regular time. I hope the play called for OT is better.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

Unreal we lost this one.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

That was a moronic last play. Sacred Heart had to know that was coming. This is one of those games where things just go wrong. Mott and Archer couldn't seem to find their game, Madonna goes out with an injury, and the inability to draw up a creative OT play cost Hobart the game.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Awful, that was really terrible
Huge underperformance
SHU goalie played well , but we were really bad in second half
Out hustled, pushed around
The last pass lobbed across the crease ?
That looked like junior lacrosse nonsense
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Still, you have to give credit to Sacred Heart. They refused to quit, their goalie was on fire, and they hustled like heck all over the field. This is what makes lacrosse a great sport. I think Hobart came into this game as the predicted winner, and the other team just refused to let that happen. Congratulations to Sacred Heart.
gt4623

Post by gt4623 »

SHU did not look good, which makes this even more painful. Their goalie played well but man we had some point blanks we threw into his crosse or body, not changing the levels on him. Still a little confused why that Bach goal before the penalty was disallowed. Nothing good happened after that. Hard to find any silver lining here other than Holtby playing well.

Thought we had a handle on who this team was after a strong start. From seemingly legitmate conference champion contenders to potentially fighting for their lives to make the conference tourney. Maybe thats a tad over dramatic but if they don't pick it up against Bryant and St. Joes that will certainly be the case.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Well, well, well ... That is what is called a "whole team effort." Congrats to SHU for being a tougher, better, more resilient, and less cocky team. The SHU goalie was great, but in the end it was the guys who put the ball in the net who won the game.

First things first ... Holtby made some good saves and Shea had a good day with faceoffs. Bach put up some good goals, and he had one disallowed that probably should have stood. But that was about it for the plusses today.. I remember past years like this too, when early season games were filled with goals and offensive power and a wide range of players getting shots and goals. They we "settle down" and start playing for ball control and set plays. The goals start diminishing, and we start over-planning, and we lose the ability to generate energy and flow. We start to get stale early in the season.

I hear Raymond talk about how much talent Hobart has and how good Hobart is, but I am looking at a team at 2-3, with a collapse at Cornell, a loss against a struggling SU team, and now a loss to SHU. The Lehigh victory was not as great as it seemed, and Canisius was too early to mean anything. Today it looked like they walked out on the field thinking this was in the bag and pondering the Bryant game. You could sense what was happening the whole way ...

I was sort of stunned to hear in the podcast how much time the players had off after the Syracuse game. How do you lose two in a row and then give the guys time off? And I don't buy the idea that it gave the guys time to "think about it." What they need is practice ... no dropped balls, more ground balls, better offball movement, higher lacrosse IQ. They looked rusty today, and not only with skills. They also looked like they forgot how to hustle.

The podcast next week should be about 15 seconds long, with Raymond saying, "We'll show if we have any talent out on the field. See you then." If I were Bryant, I'd be salivating to meet a Hobart team like this.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Starts at the top and I think it’s time for a change.

Note in the pods he never points the finger at himself- two weeks off and to come out that flat and with such bad fundamentals tells me all I need to know.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

It’s like deja vu all over again.
How many times have we watched Raymonds Hobart teams play down to the level of the competition and take a bad loss.
Frustrating, when are they going to learn they are not good enough to take any opponent lightly.
Today looked much more like the level I was expecting from this squad
I have to admit I had been impressed with Lehigh and their performance against Cornell and a weak Cuse
I think the team we saw today is what we should expect going forward.
Hope I’m wrong but I fear not
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:22 pm Starts at the top and I think it’s time for a change.

Note in the pods he never points the finger at himself- two weeks off and to come out that flat and with such bad fundamentals tells me all I need to know.
I'm not ready for a change of coach yet. More like a change of approach. I think Greg is excellent at recruiting, and at getting great people on the team. But I think he needs a change at a lower level to challenge him. Brundage was a great addition. Maybe it is the D ... not today, but in the last few games. I don't know ...
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

I love what he says most of the time but something’s not going well. I do think he’s a great recruiter but the calls in the games are why this team is 2-3 instead of 5-0.

Something has to change, this roster is way too talent to miss the tournament.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Is FFG in time out?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”