Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 10stone5 »

Big Dog wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:24 pm For what it's worth, on a roster of 58, UNC only has four players from North Carolina and they're all benchwarmers. The in-state tuition hasn't mattered a lick for them. That said, their out-of-state tuition is also relatively affordable. As is Maryland's. Both those schools have benefited.
Isn't part of the athletic admissions "game" to get actual out of state players the in state tuition cost? I always remember hearing that was part of how the sausage was made at pretty much all universities...

Depends on state and campus rules. For example in California, obtaining instate residency is nearly impossible for OOS kids, so the UC athletic departments have to pick up the OOS tuition/fees for scholarship kids.
That’s cause there is such a huge gap in Out of State
v In State tuition,

at one point in time Berkeley tuition was free for
In State, people killed to show in state residency.

I know a kid, he was a great recruit,
turned down a Syracuse lacrosse commit to go the
walk on recruit with Berkeley football,
a big part of the reason being tuition costs
in state Berkeley versus out of state Syracuse,
even with some lacrosse assistance.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:24 pm For what it's worth, on a roster of 58, UNC only has four players from North Carolina and they're all benchwarmers. The in-state tuition hasn't mattered a lick for them. That said, their out-of-state tuition is also relatively affordable. As is Maryland's. Both those schools have benefited.
Isn't part of the athletic admissions "game" to get actual out of state players the in state tuition cost? I always remember hearing that was part of how the sausage was made at pretty much all universities...
Yeah, that's how I thought it worked as well. I see a few news articles suggesting that is the case sometimes.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Just a confirmation from Xanders.

“Connor DeSimone has been accepted into grad school at Hopkins and will return in 2022, he confirmed. A former top five recruit, DeSimone became a Second Team All-Big 10 pick after bumping down from midfield, leading the Jays with 25 goals & 20 assists.”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 pm Just a confirmation from Xanders.

“Connor DeSimone has been accepted into grad school at Hopkins and will return in 2022, he confirmed. A former top five recruit, DeSimone became a Second Team All-Big 10 pick after bumping down from midfield, leading the Jays with 25 goals & 20 assists.”
Expecting an AA type season for him in year 2 of playing attack/in the new system. 3.46 pts per game this year—don't see why he can't get that up to at least 4, which is already HM/3rd team territory. I really feel like he has a big season in him. How he and Epstein continue to work together is a story line to watch.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Expecting an AA type season for him in year 2 of playing attack/in the new system. 3.46 pts per game this year—don't see why he can't get that up to at least 4, which is already HM/3rd team territory. I really feel like he has a big season in him. How he and Epstein continue to work together is a story line to watch.
Setting aside the on the field considerations (which are obvious), I think this is a very positive development in terms of what it says about the state of the program and the nascent culture under the new staff. DeSo certainly would have had options if he wasn't happy. I think we can put the Epstein kerfluffle fully in the rear view mirror.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Setting aside the on the field considerations (which are obvious), I think this is a very positive development in terms of what it says about the state of the program and the nascent culture under the new staff. DeSo certainly would have had options if he wasn't happy. I think we can put the Epstein kerfluffle fully in the rear view mirror.
Yes this is what counts. PM's staff won the trust of a player who it asked to change positions. Very positive development.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:06 pm
nyjay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Yes this is what counts. PM's staff won the trust of a player who it asked to change positions. Very positive development.
Great news!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

and now for some not so great news....Evan Zinn has entered the transfer portal.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Maybe he heard that the only way he sees the field is SSDM?
Shame because somebody here had hopes he had potential to become comparable to Matt Abbott
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

CrazyPeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm and now for some not so great news....Evan Zinn has entered the transfer portal.
I guess PM didn’t gain this players trust :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If we do dip back into the portal I wonder if it'd be an SSDM. One of PM's former Cornell guys is in there as well as another once-Cornell recruit for Delaware that 10stone5 mentioned earlier. In terms of returners we're left with Martin, Jaronski, Lilly, Mabbett, Glassmeyer(?). Also Arteaga and Ince who have yet to see time and one or two guys in the incoming class that are probably d-mid candidates. I don't think Zinn leaving drastically changes the equation but maybe you want another guy (who actually knows the position, as opposed to a converted offensive middie) to give you some depth. And that'd give you the luxury of moving Jaronski back to LSM if you need him there.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm I haven’t read the opinion either.

t the moment a full year at Hopkins is about 75,000. A full year for an instate student at UNC is about 25,000 I M told. Over 4 years all else being equal Hopkins costs 200,000 more assuming all else is equal eg both schools offer the same schollie.

I asked the parent of 2 players who became AAs at another school. Dad was a Hop player. I believe earned AA at some level. I asked him why his kids went to big state school. He replied, at the time, if he paid the difference between the offers of both schools he would pay more than 200k for them to go to Hopkins and he didn’t think it was worth it. Now it might be 400k.

I don’t see Hopkins finding money to pay lax players much if anything compared to big state schools or big foundation schools etc.

I don’t think Hop participates in B1G TV money it I also don’t think they can push Hopkins out.

Have to think about it.
Bloomberg's donation has made a huge difference for Hopkins. My child is going to Hopkins in the fall and we received a Hopkins grant of almost 60K and our household income is over 200k. A lot of kids won't even need to use scholarship money because they can get more from financial aid allowing those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out much more among the players who may not qualify for aid.
Is that 60K total or 60K per year for four years?
Homer

Post by Homer »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 pm
I haven’t read the actual opinion, but my understanding is that it applies to education-related funding, not athletic scholarships.

DocBarrister :)
Narrowly, the holding only limits the NCAA's ability to restrict "education-related benefits" for athletes in Division I football and basketball. Meaning postgraduate scholarships, tutoring expenses, school-funded internships, and/or academic performance bonuses up to whatever cap the NCAA chooses to place on athletic performance awards.

But the real stakes of the decision are much broader than that. The Court comprehensively rejected the NCAA's whole theory as to why they should be able to set essentially whatever amateurism rules they want, subject to only the most minimal, deferential antitrust review. The Justices didn't reach out to decide more than what was technically before them, which was the rules on educational benefits for D1 football and basketball. But they unanimously eviscerated the NCAA's proffered justifications for their player-compensation scheme more generally.

The implication for the NCAA is clear: work out your own rules for paying players toute suite, or risk having it done for you by a judicial system that's just declared its utter lack of sympathy for your purported exception to normal antitrust principles.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 pm

t the moment a full year at Hopkins is about 75,000. A full year for an instate student at UNC is about 25,000 I M told. Over 4 years all else being equal Hopkins costs 200,000 more assuming all else is equal eg both schools offer the same schollie.

I asked the parent of 2 players who became AAs at another school. Dad was a Hop player. I believe earned AA at some level. I asked him why his kids went to big state school. He replied, at the time, if he paid the difference between the offers of both schools he would pay more than 200k for them to go to Hopkins and he didn’t think it was worth it. Now it might be 400k.

I don’t see Hopkins finding money to pay lax players much if anything compared to big state schools or big foundation schools etc.

I don’t think Hop participates in B1G TV money it I also don’t think they can push Hopkins out.

Have to think about it.
Bloomberg's donation has made a huge difference for Hopkins. My child is going to Hopkins in the fall and we received a Hopkins grant of almost 60K and our household income is over 200k. A lot of kids won't even need to use scholarship money because they can get more from financial aid allowing those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out much more among the players who may not qualify for aid.
i'd guess 60k per year. the amount of "schollys" on the hopkins roster is probably absurd.
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 pm Maybe he heard that the only way he sees the field is SSDM?
Shame because somebody here had hopes he had potential to become comparable to Matt Abbott
In his defense, the poster said "a poor man's Matt Abbott"

A really, really, really, (really) poor man. No offense to Zinn. It's no shame playing D1 ball.

But Matt Abbott is several levels up.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:52 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 pm Maybe he heard that the only way he sees the field is SSDM?
In his defense, the poster said "a poor man's Matt Abbott"

A really, really, really, (really) poor man. No offense to Zinn. It's no shame playing D1 ball.

But Matt Abbott is several levels up.
Closer to Kevin Drew….. I believe in the right environment, Zinn could be a productive offensive middie. Not sure where his confidence is these days.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

TLD. I don’t. It’s up to them but if it were me I would require so ethical v like an AI or minimum standard. Also if it were me I would have a variance to median measure. In general I doubt Hopkins treat lax players differently from anyone else.
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:21 pm
CrazyPeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 pm and now for some not so great news....Evan Zinn has entered the transfer portal.
I guess PM didn’t gain this players trust :lol:
Seems like a good move for Zinn. PM and Co did not see him as a first line middie. He will find a place he can play on the offensive side of the ball. He will have degree from JHU and a graduate degree from another solid school. Hopefully has 2 more years of great lax ahead of him!!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:20 pm TLD. I don’t. It’s up to them but if it were me I would require so ethical v like an AI or minimum standard. Also if it were me I would have a variance to median measure. In general I doubt Hopkins treat lax players differently from anyone else.
OC,

I don’t have the context. Was this a reference to more “qualified” students?
“I wish you would!”
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 pm

Have to think about it.
She got 56k this year in grant money. And like I said our household income is over 200k. There are a lot of lax players not on scholarship at all because of this.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”