Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by flalax22 »

With respect to Steele as a player and a women’s coach. You don’t enter into a national search if you’re picking the guy from down the hall in Cordish. If you do you lose some credibility as an AD. Again with great respect to his career as a player and coach do you guys really think that choice would be supported in the current locker room? I don’t.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 am With respect to Steele as a player and a women’s coach. You don’t enter into a national search if you’re picking the guy from down the hall in Cordish. If you do you lose some credibility as an AD. Again with great respect to his career as a player and coach do you guys really think that choice would be supported in the current locker room? I don’t.
Correct. He is not going to be the HC but I don't think many would have an issue with it, if he became the OC.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:49 am With respect to Steele as a player and a women’s coach. You don’t enter into a national search if you’re picking the guy from down the hall in Cordish. If you do you lose some credibility as an AD. Again with great respect to his career as a player and coach do you guys really think that choice would be supported in the current locker room? I don’t.
The suggestion (from others) was that he should be the new offensive coordinator, not head coach. I don't think anyone is seriously floating him as HC.

IF it is Nads, my guess is he'd hand pick his own assistants. Both of his coordinators at Towson are relatively new to the team—he doesn't have a long history with either.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Regarding the timing, you have to think that there were ongoing negotiations about an extension, the administration wouldn't move off their one-year offer, and Petro eventually walked. That would all make sense. For all the talk of the timing being "unfair", that's naive and I don't buy it. Why would the administration change to a multi-year offer just because of COVID-19? That seems silly.
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:17 am Agree with pretty much everything in this post except for the timing thing. The season effectively ended more than a month ago—why wait a month to make the call?

If a 1-year extension was not possible—either because it wasn't offered or because Petro didn't want it—then I guess I just don't understand why the 4+ week wait. What did they know on Tuesday that they didn't know a month ago?
Effectively, yes. But from a legal, contractual standpoint, when did Hopkins' 2020 season end? On 3/12, all JHU spring sports seasons were "suspended" through April 12. Since there was never another announcement superseding that, I would assume the season officially ended the following day, i.e., April 13. Petro's departure was announced one day later.

Depending on how Petro's contract is written, it could be that JHU needed to run out the clock on the technically "suspended" season to avoid having to pay a partial buyout for 2020.

Or it could be that negotiations on a one-year emergency extension really were in full swing, but 4/13 was the absolute deadline to reach an agreement or Hopkins would officially no longer have a lacrosse coach. (Again, depending on how Petro's contract is/was set up.) Once that date arrived with no deal in sight, it was time to move on and start ironing out the press release.

Either way, the very close proximity between that legally effective end date and the actual announcement seems to me unlikely to be a coincidence.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:00 am Regarding the timing, you have to think that there were ongoing negotiations about an extension, the administration wouldn't move off their one-year offer, and Petro eventually walked. That would all make sense. For all the talk of the timing being "unfair", that's naive and I don't buy it. Why would the administration change to a multi-year offer just because of COVID-19? That seems silly.
One reason that a Uni might consider a multi-year contract --- even with some minimal buyouts -- is for recruiting. If a HC only has 1-2 years left, the opposition will use that to their advantage: 'come here instead, as the other guy might not even be around when you are a Junior.' That's one reason why some D1 basketball and football coaches get extended early, even if they are only middlin'.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Homer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:05 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:17 am Agree with pretty much everything in this post except for the timing thing. The season effectively ended more than a month ago—why wait a month to make the call?

If a 1-year extension was not possible—either because it wasn't offered or because Petro didn't want it—then I guess I just don't understand why the 4+ week wait. What did they know on Tuesday that they didn't know a month ago?
Effectively, yes. But from a legal, contractual standpoint, when did Hopkins' 2020 season end? On 3/12, all JHU spring sports seasons were "suspended" through April 12. Since there was never another announcement superseding that, I would assume the season officially ended the following day, i.e., April 13. Petro's departure was announced one day later.

Depending on how Petro's contract is written, it could be that JHU needed to run out the clock on the technically "suspended" season to avoid having to pay a partial buyout for 2020.

Or it could be that negotiations on a one-year emergency extension really were in full swing, but 4/13 was the absolute deadline to reach an agreement or Hopkins would officially no longer have a lacrosse coach. (Again, depending on how Petro's contract is/was set up.) Once that date arrived with no deal in sight, it was time to move on and start ironing out the press release.

Either way, the very close proximity between that legally effective end date and the actual announcement seems to me unlikely to be a coincidence.
I doubt they would’ve acted to save a few shekels on a partial one year buyout or the AD is a disaster. Petro’s reach is broad enough the such information would get out and it would be a major problem for bringing in a new coach, alum or not.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I see a couple flaws in this statement. National search? That's sorta BS to begin with in some ways. This isn't the head coach of something like Alabama football after Saban retires and Dabo Swinney says he is staying at Clemson where you definitely want to uncover every rock so the alumni and fan base don't put For Sale signs in your yard. Every post I read for the most part names the same 5-10 guys and there are only what - 72 current DI head coaches? If you accept that Corrigan and Tierney are not going anywhere - whether you wanted them or not - and Brian Holman seems really happy at Utah - your national search stretches primarily from New England to maybe Virginia. The "National" search narrative is both a self directed nod trying to pump up your program and hommage to Petro that you need a national search to replace him.

While I agree that SS will not be the next head coach at Hopkins - I wouldn't hate the move - if the best guy is down the hall or in Timbuktu who cares? I think the current locker room might be pretty pumped if he became involved with the program - if I am Joey Epstein or Brendan Grimes (as I have said before) I want to know what that guys knows because - with all due homage to all the great cerebral players such as Boyle and Gill and O'Neill - hard to find anybody who took his athleticism and skill and did more with it because of the space between his ears.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:43 pm
While I agree that SS will not be the next head coach at Hopkins - I wouldn't hate the move - if the best guy is down the hall or in Timbuktu who cares? I think the current locker room might be pretty pumped if he became involved with the program - if I am Joey Epstein or Brendan Grimes (as I have said before) I want to know what that guys knows because - with all due homage to all the great cerebral players such as Boyle and Gill and O'Neill - hard to find anybody who took his athleticism and skill and did more with it because of the space between his ears.
My first interview question for a new HC candidate would be: Would you play a proven 45% goalie or give someone else a chance in the net?

But my second question would be: Would you be comfortable with us helping you pick your OC, because we might have someone in the building already....

Third question: Would you actually practice riding and clearing, or would you only practice 6 on 6?

Fourth: Would you practice getting ground balls, or would you just practice 6 on 6?

Fifth: If a player is not meeting expectations, how would you deal with that?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Question 5 is reasonable. Questions 1 to 4 will send any serious candidate running away screaming.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes - not sure Sag is famous for his sarcasm but hopefully that's what the post was. While I do think Steele Stanwick would make a great candidate as a coach in some form - you have to let your head coach hire the assistants he wants to hire - within reason (i.e. Kim Jong Un probably can't be your coordinator even though he is more than offensive).

The other 3 - if serious suggestions - communicate your willingness to throw the previous coach under the bus and would not be taken well.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I see a couple flaws in this statement. National search? That's sorta BS to begin with in some ways. This isn't the head coach of something like Alabama football after Saban retires and Dabo Swinney says he is staying at Clemson where you definitely want to uncover every rock so the alumni and fan base don't put For Sale signs in your yard. Every post I read for the most part names the same 5-10 guys and there are only what - 72 current DI head coaches? If you accept that Corrigan and Tierney are not going anywhere - whether you wanted them or not - and Brian Holman seems really happy at Utah - your national search stretches primarily from New England to maybe Virginia. The "National" search narrative is both a self directed nod trying to pump up your program and hommage to Petro that you need a national search to replace him.

Too bad.
I’d like to see some young blood among the coaching ranks, and Steele would be right there.

Durkin, as defensive coordinator.

Maybe an older, wiser head as OC, assistant coach.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:19 pm

Too bad.
I’d like to see some young blood among the coaching ranks, and Steele would be right there.

Durkin, as defensive coordinator.

Maybe an older, wiser head as OC, assistant coach.
Won’t the staffing choices be made by the new head coach (with AD approval)?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Would encourage everyone to read this. Petro responds:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

He's saying the decision was mutual and is disputing the notion that he was angered by it.

Unless that's actually true, which I kind of doubt but who really knows, then this is pretty graceful from Petro. He had a chance to spin this however he wanted to make him look like a victim but he chose to just bow out without any more drama—which he knows wouldn't be good for the guys on the team. Shows the kind of person he is IMO.

Also says he wants to coach again, ideally in college, but is going to wait for the right opportunity.

And thanks to Ed Lee of the Sun for actually reporting on this.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm
Also says he wants to coach again, ideally in college, but is going to wait for the right opportunity.

I think PLL would be a great fit for him, not only because he's on like the advisory board or whatever. It'd be a fun get away from the college landscape, and I feel the type of aggressive close defense he likes to play works much better under the PLL landscape where the field is shorter and players are afforded more cheap shots.
harflax

Post by harflax »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... uratedpage

Petro says in this article he wants to coach at the college level again.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:30 pm
My first interview question for a new HC candidate would be: Would you play a proven 45% goalie or give someone else a chance in the net?

But my second question would be: Would you be comfortable with us helping you pick your OC, because we might have someone in the building already....

Third question: Would you actually practice riding and clearing, or would you only practice 6 on 6?

Fourth: Would you practice getting ground balls, or would you just practice 6 on 6?

Fifth: If a player is not meeting expectations, how would you deal with that?
Regarding the 2nd question.....they should ask for dopey Bobby to come back. We can keep that motion offense going 🤣
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

harflax wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:05 pm https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... uratedpage

Petro says in this article he wants to coach at the college level again.
He handled himself professionally and with class in this interview. Not a negative thing was said. And lets be honest, that must have been hard to do. Because we all know, there is no such thing as a mutual breakup. If Hopkins wanted to renew his contract, he would have been back. And nothing he said in that article makes me believe otherwise. Given that, again, I think he handled himself really well here.

Part of me wonders, however, if Petro does feel "relieved". Did he think in his heart he was The Greater Fool a la Will McEvoy? Was he trying to keep Hopkins relevant in a world where not many believed Hopkins could be relevant anymore? Was he fighting the good fight knowing full well the time has passed for Hopkins, and schools like them, to be what they once were?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Quint channeling Petro? A little dig on Daniels towards the end and arguing it’s been tough to get the guys you want to JHU the past handful of years.....ummmm okay....did he forget about early recruiting?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_D8uxmIBV ... 79y04ogtif
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm Would encourage everyone to read this. Petro responds:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

He's saying the decision was mutual and is disputing the notion that he was angered by it.

Unless that's actually true, which I kind of doubt but who really knows, then this is pretty graceful from Petro. He had a chance to spin this however he wanted to make him look like a victim but he chose to just bow out without any more drama—which he knows wouldn't be good for the guys on the team. Shows the kind of person he is IMO.

Wait a minute ... Tina?!?

DocBarrister (obviously behind the times) :shock:
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”