NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
shorelax12

Re: NESCAC

Post by shorelax12 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:26 am Tufts and other NESCACs already bring in equal or better talent than HC and now with the portal the Crusaders are having issues keeping kids at the school.
Very true, the portal gives these kids another year of development at the college level, then the top teams poach the kids that pan out...top HC freshman this season off to MD
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

[/quote]

As further clarified, this isn’t what he was asking, was referring to after a few years when settled in, not now. But now that you have used actual examples. #34 Sacred Heart lost to 2-11 and god awful Holy Cross. Could Hamilton beat Holy Cross? They sure could. Wouldn’t every time but they would often enough. Thus, if Holy Cross could beat a top 35 team, so could Hamilton. Would be a huge upset but so was that game. Totally agree there is a MUCH bigger gap between 1-5 and 30-35 in D3 than D1 but there is still a non-insignificant gap in D1. Again though, not pertinent to what was actually being discussed.
[/quote]

Not to mention - this was the second time Tufts has lost to Hamilton in the last 15 attempts dating back to 2000 (https://gotuftsjumbos.com/sports/mens-l ... college/83)
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Sacred Heart 10-0
LIU 9-2
Manhattan 7-3
Quinnipiac 6-4
Marist 7-4
Siena 6-4
Virginia Military 4-6
Canisius 4-6
*Tufts 2-8
Mount St. Mary's 1-9
Wagner 1-9

Army West Point 7-2
Lehigh 7-2
Navy 6-3
Boston U 6-3
Colgate 6-3
Loyola Maryland 6-3
Bucknell 3-6
Lafayette 3-6
Holy Cross 1-8
*Tufts 0-9
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

That answers my question about whether laxdad even watches college lacrosse.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:23 pm That answers my question about whether laxdad even watches college lacrosse.
That has been answered many times. Tufts, as currently constituted, not after a few years of D1 recruiting, would indeed struggle in the Patriot. They would eviscerate Holy Cross but would probably finish behind the others, though maybe a push with Lafayette. They would not win the MAAC but likely finish about 5th.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:42 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:23 pm That answers my question about whether laxdad even watches college lacrosse.
That has been answered many times. Tufts, as currently constituted, not after a few years of D1 recruiting, would indeed struggle in the Patriot. They would eviscerate Holy Cross but would probably finish behind the others, though maybe a push with Lafayette. They would not win the MAAC but likely finish about 5th.
Now it’s a few years…😂
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I feel were just days away from someone emailing laxdad's boss again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:56 pm Sacred Heart 10-0
LIU 9-2
Manhattan 7-3
Quinnipiac 6-4
Marist 7-4
Siena 6-4
Virginia Military 4-6
Canisius 4-6
*Tufts 2-8
Mount St. Mary's 1-9
Wagner 1-9

Army West Point 7-2
Lehigh 7-2
Navy 6-3
Boston U 6-3
Colgate 6-3
Loyola Maryland 6-3
Bucknell 3-6
Lafayette 3-6
Holy Cross 1-8
*Tufts 0-9
VMI regularly was handled by W&L every fall until they changed the scrimmage format. Was treated like an actual game too.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:25 pm Marist 7-4
Siena 6-4
There are people on this forum that know a lot more than I regarding how D1 lacrosse compares to D3, but taking a quick look at Sacred Heart's 2024 recruiting class, they have the same number of 3 stars as Tufts. And I know recruiting isn't an exact science, but I think you're crazy if you're telling me Sacred Heart goes 10-0 against Tufts. Even if the school is offering money, are they really getting better talent? Is the coaching that dramatically better? Based on the upper middle income demographics of most lacrosse players' families, I don't think the money is as meaningful as other sports and, all else equal, if I'm making my college decision, with respect I'm not choosing any of the below schools over the top D3 powers, particularly those with strong academics. Everyone is different and, again, I'm sure others are much more informed than myself, but it just doesn't seem that cut and dry.

I could see Patriot League as being a different story and would figure Tufts more middle of the road in that league, right here and now. But would figure they would be towards the top of the Northeast Conference.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
5Star

Post by 5Star »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:25 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:56 pm Sacred Heart 10-0
LIU 9-2
Manhattan 7-3
Quinnipiac 6-4
Marist 7-4
Siena 6-4
Virginia Military 4-6
Canisius 4-6
*Tufts 2-8
Mount St. Mary's 1-9
Wagner 1-9

Army West Point 7-2
Lehigh 7-2
Navy 6-3
Boston U 6-3
Colgate 6-3
Loyola Maryland 6-3
Bucknell 3-6
Lafayette 3-6
Holy Cross 1-8
*Tufts 0-9
VMI regularly was handled by W&L every fall until they changed the scrimmage format. Was treated like an actual game too.
I believe W&L is 40-5 all time vs VMI. VMI has increased scholarships from about 2.5 to closer to 7 in the last 4 years. Most of the teams in that northeast conference are nowhere close to 12.6 scholarships. I believe Holy Cross has maybe 4. That makes a big difference.

I saw both VMI and Tufts in person last year. Tufts is much bigger, faster, and more physical than VMI. Tufts probably wins that game 8/10 times. They don’t blow them out at all.

I doubt Tufts has a single player on their roster that didn’t have at least 1 D1 offer if not multiple. Their 2024 roster had players that they flipped from Ohio State, Lehigh, and Colgate. That said, I don’t think they’re more than mid/low level patriot league team - they probably go 40/50% against the Lafayette, Bucknell, Holy Cross caliber team. Those aren’t good D1 teams right now, but they aren’t the worst.

Throw them against BU, Lehigh, Army, Navy, Utah, Villanova caliber teams. I won’t say they’d never win, but 1/10 still feels like a stretch. I don’t think they get blown out either. They probably fair about as well as a program like Manhattan.

The better question is if they moved to D1 would Tufts be as appealing to recruits knowing that they will never win a national championship. I’d say their recruiting remains about the same level. Part of the appeal is you get a great education and you can win / play for a national championship every single year. Take that second part away and I’m not sure why they’re more appealing than Dartmouth or Colgate… they wouldn’t be. 12.6 Scholarships would help. Tufts is about at their ceiling.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:23 am
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:37 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:52 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:42 am
shorelax12 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:35 am
callaxdad wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:23 am
justanotherperson wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:06 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:29 am
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Hamilton beats the 30-35th ranked DI team in OT?

Dream big bro.
I dont think 30-35th is dreaming big

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
ND lost to Gtown, Gtown lost to Denver, Denver lost to Yale, Yale lost to Princeton (twice), Princeton lost to Brown, Brown lost to Tufts......Tufts is the D3 and D1 National Champion!!! :lol: :lol: How dare I use "actual results" to reinforce my point!! Complete sh!t logic, i.e. one time examples, but what else would you expect from a jackass.
Amazing how a hypothetical question, with no possibility of ever happening, has devolved into such a mindless back and forth..of course, usual suspects leading the charge
Thanks for your input, oh wise one. Sorry if you don’t like the banter… Whatever.
You are quite welcome. Banter is great, the nonstop condescending commentary is obnoxious. Somebody call Laxdad, I'm starting to long for the good old NJIT days
Perhaps I should have been less sarcastic and more direct and said, thanks for your input, oh self-righteous, self appointed hall monitor!! Haha.
Looks like somebody is headed to a timeout in their own forum again...
Oh my my my, do tell, palace intrigue… who might this be? Again!!! The suspense is palatable!! Can’t wait to hear, you’re obviously in the know!! Very impressive!!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

5Star wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:56 pm That said, I don’t think they’re more than mid/low level patriot league team - they probably go 40/50% against the Lafayette, Bucknell, Holy Cross caliber team. .
2024 Tufts goes 3-0 v 2024 Holy Cross, Bucknell and Lafayette (altho Lafayette is on the rise). I saw all those teams in person in 2024. I would have given Tufts a shot v Navy this past year, Navy was so frikin up and down.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

back to this conversation???

tufts (and any other top 5 D3 team) would win the MAAC without a doubt. VMI would not beat a top 25 D3 team.
the best team in the MAAC last year would compete in the ODAC, MAC, and Centennial. but they wouldn’t win LL or NESCAC
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

We are missing the most important point here… Tufts makes cooler videos than everyone else. Isn’t that enough?
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

callaxdad wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:36 pm
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Dream big bro.

But I am glad you spit out our drink because when a team like High Point beats a team like Duke, I am guessing your one game anecdote means either Hp is top 5 or Duke is bottom 20.

I love how you keep going back to the well with your one time examples. I guess USA bball is trash because South Sudan almost beat them and on and on and on...
ND lost to Gtown, Gtown lost to Denver, Denver lost to Yale, Yale lost to Princeton (twice), Princeton lost to Brown, Brown lost to Tufts......Tufts is the D3 and D1 National Champion!!! :lol: :lol: How dare I use "actual results" to reinforce my point!! Complete sh!t logic, i.e. one time examples, but what else would you expect from a jackass.
Amazing how a hypothetical question, with no possibility of ever happening, has devolved into such a mindless back and forth..of course, usual suspects leading the charge
Thanks for your input, oh wise one. Sorry if you don’t like the banter… Whatever.
You are quite welcome. Banter is great, the nonstop condescending commentary is obnoxious. Somebody call Laxdad, I'm starting to long for the good old NJIT days
Perhaps I should have been less sarcastic and more direct and said, thanks for your input, oh self-righteous, self appointed hall monitor!! Haha.
Oh my my my, do tell, palace intrigue… who might this be? Again!!! The suspense is palatable!! Can’t wait to hear, you’re obviously in the know!! Very impressive!!
Definitely "not "in the know"...but I appreciate the attempted redirect with the conspiracy theory...the fact that they created a separate forum for you speaks volumes...and with that, I am done wasting time on this topic
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:37 am We are missing the most important point here… Tufts makes cooler videos than everyone else. Isn’t that enough?
👍🏻👍🏻
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

callaxdad wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:37 am
justanotherperson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:45 am

Dream big bro.

You’re right, how dare I use an example of an actual result to reinforce my point. It’s far better to use a hypothetical that didn’t happen, like you did, in order to then project my reaction “if” that were to happen.

The reality is that the gap between top 5 DIII and top 35 DIII is WAAAAY bigger than the same grouping gap at the DI level.

But back to what I said- 30-35 DI are 30 Delaware
31 UAlbany 32 Navy 33 Bryant 34 Sacred Heart 35 Providence. Here’s a hypothetical for ya, have Hamilton play each one of them 5 times. How many games do they win? I’m sticking to 0.
How dare you use "an example" (one example) to reinforce your point? Cmon man; you will figure it out eventually that you are arguing against yourself (hint - one example actually doesnt reinforce your point as in the larger context represents a statistical anomaly but I think I will leave it at that and hopefully you will maybe understand one day). BTW HP beating duke was not hypothetical, South sudan almost beating the USA was not hypothetical (USA may not win the gold this year though), sacred heart, holy cross etc etc

But yes we have to play in hypotheticals because Tufts is not going D1 anytime soon. Not sure why you are talking about Hamilton, but we are not talking about them playing teams 30-50; we are talking about Tufts. As many much more well informed astute observers have pointed out (I like the hoops 8/9 analogy), the margin is much thinner. I have no doubt if Tufts had a few years of D1 recruiting under its belt, if they played Bryant, SH and Providence 10 times, 5-5 would not be a surprise. I think even as of today they would do much better against 36 Manhattan, 40 Quinnipiac, 43 LIU, 44 Marist, 45 Cleve St, 48 Merrimack as examples.

I think what underlies this "discussion" and our biases is the old "D3 athletes - can they compete in D1?" argument and I am firmly in the camp that there are D1 caliber athletes that chose D3 (NESCAC, Swat, W&L being some of them) for academic reasons and that the bottom 12 D1 teams are really just not all that good. Then there is the other camp that thinks the gap between a D1 and D3 athlete is soooooo wide that a D3 team could never compete (which I believe to be true for football, hockey, bball). Please dont resurrect this argument; just pointing out why people think Tufts could never compete in D1. I actually think they would fit in very nicely in the Patriot.
They would be dead last in the Patriot. They would fit in at the bottom of the MAAC. Hypothetically 😂
Isn't Holy Cross in the Patriot League? :D :D
Like I said, there are people that think D3 athletes just cannot compete and laxdad is definitely one of them which is why the D1 transfers into D3 usually dominate. i do think Tufts v HC, Lafayette, Bucknell would be competitive games now but after a few years of recruiting, I would say they would be close to the top than the bottom. The MAAC? Now you just trollin again
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:43 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:36 pm

Dream big bro.

Definitely "not "in the know"...but I appreciate the attempted redirect with the conspiracy theory...the fact that they created a separate forum for you speaks volumes...and with that, I am done wasting time on this topic
Who is “they”? The deep state?! 🤣🤣
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:50 pm
pcowlax wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:42 pm
Now it’s a few years…😂
Yes it always has been with the exception of the first post which wasnt clarified because giving Tufts a few years was inherent in the question of "can Tufts compete at the D1 level". Try and keep up
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

justanotherperson wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:45 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:59 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:37 am
justanotherperson wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:15 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:45 am

Dream big bro.

You’re right, how dare I use an example of an actual result to reinforce my point. It’s far better to use a hypothetical that didn’t happen, like you did, in order to then project my reaction “if” that were to happen.

The reality is that the gap between top 5 DIII and top 35 DIII is WAAAAY bigger than the same grouping gap at the DI level.

But back to what I said- 30-35 DI are 30 Delaware
31 UAlbany 32 Navy 33 Bryant 34 Sacred Heart 35 Providence. Here’s a hypothetical for ya, have Hamilton play each one of them 5 times. How many games do they win? I’m sticking to 0.
How dare you use "an example" (one example) to reinforce your point? Cmon man; you will figure it out eventually that you are arguing against yourself (hint - one example actually doesnt reinforce your point as in the larger context represents a statistical anomaly but I think I will leave it at that and hopefully you will maybe understand one day). BTW HP beating duke was not hypothetical, South sudan almost beating the USA was not hypothetical (USA may not win the gold this year though), sacred heart, holy cross etc etc

But yes we have to play in hypotheticals because Tufts is not going D1 anytime soon. Not sure why you are talking about Hamilton, but we are not talking about them playing teams 30-50; we are talking about Tufts. As many much more well informed astute observers have pointed out (I like the hoops 8/9 analogy), the margin is much thinner. I have no doubt if Tufts had a few years of D1 recruiting under its belt, if they played Bryant, SH and Providence 10 times, 5-5 would not be a surprise. I think even as of today they would do much better against 36 Manhattan, 40 Quinnipiac, 43 LIU, 44 Marist, 45 Cleve St, 48 Merrimack as examples.

I think what underlies this "discussion" and our biases is the old "D3 athletes - can they compete in D1?" argument and I am firmly in the camp that there are D1 caliber athletes that chose D3 (NESCAC, Swat, W&L being some of them) for academic reasons and that the bottom 12 D1 teams are really just not all that good. Then there is the other camp that thinks the gap between a D1 and D3 athlete is soooooo wide that a D3 team could never compete (which I believe to be true for football, hockey, bball). Please dont resurrect this argument; just pointing out why people think Tufts could never compete in D1. I actually think they would fit in very nicely in the Patriot.
They would be dead last in the Patriot. They would fit in at the bottom of the MAAC. Hypothetically 😂
Isn't Holy Cross in the Patriot League? :D :D
Like I said, there are people that think D3 athletes just cannot compete and laxdad is definitely one of them which is why the D1 transfers into D3 usually dominate. i do think Tufts v HC, Lafayette, Bucknell would be competitive games now but after a few years of recruiting, I would say they would be close to the top than the bottom. The MAAC? Now you just trollin again
I think that we have covered this ground before, but doesn't a lot of the recent evidence suggest that the D1 transfers do not really excel in D3. Sure, an argument can be made that some of the kids that turned down D1 for D3 have done really well, I think a few kids on Middlebury for example, but I think that we saw a few kids that transferred after a year in D1 that really had little or no impact.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”