callaxdad

Re: NESCAC

Post by callaxdad »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:11 am
shorelax12 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:23 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:16 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:42 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:13 am
laxrules wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:52 am Why is Wesleyan list so thin?
Because it’s incomplete. People here are bitter that they have a 6th year, and somehow see that as different from their school’s reclassed kids, who then did a PG, to come in and dominate as a 20 year old “true” freshman.

Here’s a better list.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... n/287/2025

Wes will push Tufts next year for the conference ‘ship. Mark my words, true as I predicted Middlebury’s slip.
There is a big difference between a 6th year and a holdback/reclass. Once kids hit high school and college, the age issue becomes moot, you have to play with older kids, reclasses, holdbacks, period. On the other hand, the 6th year is not only older but also eating up playing time for up and coming players, that is the real problem. Also, as noted in prior posts, Wes is in a unique situation in the conference because they have a grad program, so besides creating a bad situation internally for Wes, it affect the entire conference. Every team in the conference can have a holdback/reclass, but only 2 schools can cater to a grad student.
Are you trying to say grads are a disadvantage to have because of internal dynamics, that they are an advantage for the only 2 schools with them in conference, or both?
If grad years magically didn’t exist, couldn’t upperclassmen players still transfer in via the portal, and take opportunities away from players? If you can be in any class, and be expected to compete with a new senoir of your position who transferred in, when the previous starter just graduated, how is that any different than if that same starter stuck around?

The portal is here. Grads are here. Everyone being recruited should look at how their suitors handled both and choose wisely (if playing time will make or break their college experience). Frankly I would also look at how schools and conferences handled their COVID protocols, some places really screwed their paying customers over, and laughed all the way to the bank. History has a funny way of repeating itself.
pcowlax wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:29 pm 2019 + 2020 + 2021 + 2022 + 2023 + 2024 + 2025 =7. Middlebury preseason rank, #8. Final results: national quarterfinals, final rank: #10, pre-season assessment...perfect. Likelihood of anyone pushing Tufts for next years conference title? Zero.
0% chance is a bold prediction.
My suggestion is that having the grad student eating up playing time can negatively impact the morale of the underclassmen (i.e. "internal dynamics") that is seeing less time on the field. I completely appreciate that the best player should get the most time, but a lot, not all, kids make a decision on what school they want to attend by looking at the roster and the potential opportunity to play. As I posted earlier, in the case of Wes, it also happens to be the son of the coach that recruited you. It's like taking daddy ball the next level. As for your other question, yes, you could lose playing time to a transfer, but it probably stings a little less when they are on equal footing as you, as opposed to playing under a the guy who got the extra eligibility, while the underclassmen only has a 4-year window. Also, I think that you would be hard pressed to find a player that transferred into a NESCAC junior or senior year. As for your grad school question, yes, it is an advantage for the two schools as the were able to retain their best players with eligibility, Raba being a perfect example. To be honest we are probably wasting more time on an issue that is going away, but just my two-cents.
Good points, and yes, it will be over soon. What ever will we complain about when that time comes?
My suspicion is you will be bitching and moaning and crying and whining and accusing Tufts parents and fans of being the worst people in the lacrosse world until you're in diapers... which you should be wearing on your mug, but I digress!! Haha! Sorry, I know I blocked this loser but sometimes I just can't resist!! Roll Bos!
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

callaxdad - can you please keep the invaluable rhetoric isolated to exchanges with your buddy on the separate thread. I would prefer not have a repeat of last season where the NESCAC became the definition of toxicity.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:49 am callaxdad - can you please keep the invaluable rhetoric isolated to exchanges with your buddy on the separate thread. I would prefer not have a repeat of last season where the NESCAC became the definition of toxicity.
Amen!
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

NNELax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:06 pm Tufts would do alright...but they'd have to recruit BFS...The difference in size and speed is typically the difference between the divisions (outside of D2)....I would however say lacrosse is one those sports that is closer athletically between divisions than say Football, Basketball and Hockey etc.
Agreed. Good points.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

sguy9 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:27 am
What ever will we complain about when that time comes?
Should Tufts go D1?
Uh, no
I guess my sarcasm was laid on thick enough...
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:49 am callaxdad - can you please keep the invaluable rhetoric isolated to exchanges with your buddy on the separate thread. I would prefer not have a repeat of last season where the NESCAC became the definition of toxicity.
Perhaps
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

NNELax wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:06 pm Tufts would do alright...but they'd have to recruit BFS...The difference in size and speed is typically the difference between the divisions (outside of D2)....I would however say lacrosse is one those sports that is closer athletically between divisions than say Football, Basketball and Hockey etc.
Bigger, faster, stronger… you’re coming around.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I've never not thought that?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:16 pm I've never not thought that?
I confused you with another poster. Sorry about that.
NotLikeUs

Post by NotLikeUs »

Always tough to go back to back and next year will be no different for Tufts. Amherst, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Wesleyan and Williams should all be on the mix and will not make it easy for the Jumbos.

Does the NESCAC have current grads/players playing summer ball or sending teams to Placid, Vail, etc?
Mustard
On
The Beat H#e...
I turn a 8th 2 an ounce, 2 a whole key 2 the R-O-C…
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Because of the school's size and other desirables (reputation/network, proximity to Boston), I think Tufts is the rare D3 power that could move up and not get mired in the bottom third of D1.

I agree on recruiting BFS but it's not a complete overhaul of the team as there is already plenty of talent on the roster. They'd thrive if the guys they currently get as their top 1-2 players per class became the 4-5 best players in a class and things scaled accordingly. That wouldn't be a stretch if the school began to offer lacrosse at the highest level, especially after a year or two into the four-year "no postseason" probationary period. I think if you put them in most conferences out side the ACC, Big Ten, or Ivy they'd be in the mix for the AQ by the time they became eligible for it.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:51 am
Because of the school's size and other desirables (reputation/network, proximity to Boston), I think Tufts is the rare D3 power that could move up and not get mired in the bottom third of D1.

I agree on recruiting BFS but it's not a complete overhaul of the team as there is already plenty of talent on the roster. They'd thrive if the guys they currently get as their top 1-2 players per class became the 4-5 best players in a class and things scaled accordingly. That wouldn't be a stretch if the school began to offer lacrosse at the highest level, especially after a year or two into the four-year "no postseason" probationary period. I think if you put them in most conferences out side the ACC, Big Ten, or Ivy they'd be in the mix for the AQ by the time they became eligible for it.
One other key factor would they be a fully funded program, i.e. 12.6 schollys. Also, while they currently have very nice facilities, they would need an upgrade to compete with top D1 programs.
choochooCharlie

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:51 am

They would have to change up their style almost entirely. Their top 4 scorers were absolute turnover machines in 2024. Do that against DI and those turnovers are in the back of your net.
NotLikeUs

Post by NotLikeUs »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:14 am
They would have to change up their style almost entirely. Their top 4 scorers were absolute turnover machines in 2024. Do that against DI and those turnovers are in the back of your net.
Would they actually have to?

For comparisons sake and trying to find a similar style, a team like Virginia, who their top 4 point scorers includes Tufts alum Boyden, had 126 turnovers in 18 games this past year.

Tufts top 4 point scorers had 140 turnovers in 21 games this past year.

Turnovers are part of the game and Tufts has been aggressive in their approach on offense as well as certain parts of their ride and defense
Mustard
On
The Beat H#e...
I turn a 8th 2 an ounce, 2 a whole key 2 the R-O-C…
choochooCharlie

NotLikeUs wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:34 am

For comparisons sake and trying to find a similar style, a team like Virginia, who their top 4 point scorers includes Tufts alum Boyden, had 126 turnovers in 18 games this past year.

Turnovers are part of the game and Tufts has been aggressive in their approach on offense as well as certain parts of their ride and defense
Right. That proves my point. UVA; playing similar style, with the best of the best Tufts had to offer as a piece, surrounded by what I think we can agree was a better compliment of teammates, playing against a strong portfolio of DI opponents, gave up just about exactly the same number of turnovers per game (6.66 vs 7) as Tufts did against DIII opponents. But UVA went 12-6 DI instead of a Tufts DIII 18-3 NC run.
twohandsonestick

Post by twohandsonestick »

The fact of the matter is, the NESCAC overall as a conference has been on a clear and steady decline as of late...
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

twohandsonestick wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:00 pm The fact of the matter is, the NESCAC overall as a conference has been on a clear and steady decline as of late...
I think you are mixing them up with the NCAC
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

NotLikeUs wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:34 am

Tufts clearly would need more D1 caliber player than they currently have on the roster to compete at a high D1 level, ACC B1G Ivy. With the current roster they could compete for a Conference AQ or two. Not a snowballs chance at an at-large. However, stylistically they wouldn't need to change a thing. UVA is the perfect example. Similar to Tufts, who led the NESCAC in TO's this year and won the Championship, UVA led the ACC in TO's in both 2019 and 2021 when they were champs. Tufts style of play, which can be both electric and maddening at the same time, works without a doubt at any level.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Where would people slot Tufts in this imaginary scenario. Lets say they joined:

Patriot - maybe put them 6-7th?
ACC - last?
ASUN - 2nd?
IVY - ahead of dartmouth?
Big10 - 7th
Big East - 4th?
A10 - 2nd-3rd?
CAA - 3rd
America East / MAAC - 1st

What about nationally? 30-35th
choochooCharlie

justanotherperson wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 am What about nationally? 30-35th

Hamilton beats the 30-35th ranked DI team in OT?

Dream big bro.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”