Post by SaltCounty »

callaxdad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:05 pm
SaltCounty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:40 pm
callaxdad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:25 pm
SaltCounty wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:52 am
callaxdad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:42 am
JDTlax wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:08 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:59 am
callaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:12 pm Tufts is the first program in DIIII history to raise the trophy without playing a single home playoff game. Furthermore, over the course of 17 days, they spent 13 on the road, practiced or played in five different stadiums, stayed in four different hotels and traveled nearly 2000 miles on buses and vans to capture their 4th National Championship!

In addition to losing in the NESCAC quarterfinals, they could’ve used any of the above as excuses
Sounds like one of their overly defensive fans just did.

Prior to RIT, they faced the lessor of each of the potential foes along the way. Meaning they had an easier path. Meaning they were less beaten up come the final. Meaning you’re wrong. It is what it is.
Tufts IS NOT the 1st team in NCAA playoff history to win the title without playing a home playoff game. Washington College accomplished that in 1998 when they won their title.
Interesting fact about this, 1998 was the year the NCAA expanded the field from 8 teams to 10. Washington was the 10th seed. So not only were they the 1st to win a title with out a home playoff game, they are also the lowest seeded team to win a title.
Excuse me, since they expanded the tournament to the current size in this era.
I don't think it's as noteworthy as it seems given the pod format & their matchup.
Teams arrive the day before + get a short practice.
They played a program that (to no fault) is not in position to compete with Tufts.
By Sunday... you could argue you're pretty much settled in.

Tufts to Union is not that bad of a Trip.
And they are already familiar with the site.
I wouldn’t say I wholeheartedly disagree with you, a couple of your points are valid. But, it’s tough to win on the road. Plain and simple. Especially traveling ~450 miles and 8 hours in a bus and having to play the late game on Saturday.
100% agree on that note / trip.
You could say a fraction of that Title was won in their F4 game v. W&L.
Given this Tufts Roster / Youth - that was a bigger win that a lot of us knew at the time.
Spot on w re to F4 game on a few levels. Not having to face Sals was without a doubt a gift. While many of us Jumbos fans wanted to avenge the Finals loss last year, every single one was rooting for W&L.

Also, one thing I haven't heard anyone say is the maturity and improvement of Tufts. IMO you make way bigger strides in terms of development from Freshman to Sophomore year and Sophomore to Junior year than you do from Senior to Grad year or 5th to 6th year. The teams that had a number of 5th and 6th year guys had plateaued. CNU was one of them. Several teams caught up to and passed them. Tufts had zero grad students last year. Tufts returns every starter next season, only one grad student.
I am surprised more people aren't talking about Tufts winning the NC without Boyden, Brun, Adams, Bredahl, (the older) Waldbaum, etc.
Many picked those teams to be the ones that won a title.
I think this reinforces your point about the improvement of young Tufts players - credit to them and their staff
callaxdad

Re: NESCAC

Post by callaxdad »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:50 am
callaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:12 pm Tufts is the first program in DIIII history to raise the trophy without playing a single home playoff game. Furthermore, over the course of 17 days, they spent 13 on the road, practiced or played in five different stadiums, stayed in four different hotels and traveled nearly 2000 miles on buses and vans to capture their 4th National Championship!

In addition to losing in the NESCAC quarterfinals, they could’ve used any of the above as excuses

Prior to RIT, they faced the lessor of each of the potential foes along the way. Meaning they had an easier path. Meaning they were less beaten up come the final. Meaning you’re wrong. It is what it is.
Tufts IS NOT the 1st team in NCAA playoff history to win the title without playing a home playoff game. Washington College accomplished that in 1998 when they won their title.
Interesting fact about this, 1998 was the year the NCAA expanded the field from 8 teams to 10. Washington was the 10th seed. So not only were they the 1st to win a title with out a home playoff game, they are also the lowest seeded team to win a title.
I don't think it's as noteworthy as it seems given the pod format & their matchup.
They played a program that (to no fault) is not in position to compete with Tufts.

I wouldn’t say I wholeheartedly disagree with you, a couple of your points are valid. But, it’s tough to win on the road. Plain and simple. Especially traveling ~450 miles and 8 hours in a bus and having to play the late game on Saturday.
Given this Tufts Roster / Youth - that was a bigger win that a lot of us knew at the time.
Spot on w re to F4 game on a few levels. Not having to face Sals was without a doubt a gift. While many of us Jumbos fans wanted to avenge the Finals loss last year, every single one was rooting for W&L.

Also, one thing I haven't heard anyone say is the maturity and improvement of Tufts. IMO you make way bigger strides in terms of development from Freshman to Sophomore year and Sophomore to Junior year than you do from Senior to Grad year or 5th to 6th year. The teams that had a number of 5th and 6th year guys had plateaued. CNU was one of them. Several teams caught up to and passed them. Tufts had zero grad students last year. Tufts returns every starter next season, only one grad student.
I am surprised more people aren't talking about Tufts winning the NC without Boyden, Brun, Adams, Bredahl, (the older) Waldbaum, etc.
I think this reinforces your point about the improvement of young Tufts players - credit to them and their staff
100%!! Keep in mind, Bredahl, Boyden, Bruun and Swank all could've been playing on the team last year with a 5th/6th year, a la several players on RIT, CNU and Salisbury. No knock on them, they were screwed by BS Covid decisions and had every right to use that eligibility. However, several of the freshmen and sophomores from the team that lost in the finals last year really matured and developed big time. Gotta give Casey and his staff credit for that.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

callaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:55 am

100%!! Keep in mind, Bredahl, Boyden, Bruun and Swank all could've been playing on the team last year with a 5th/6th year, a la several players on RIT, CNU and Salisbury. No knock on the guys who used their extra years, they were screwed by BS Covid decisions and had every right to use that eligibility. However, several of the Tufts freshmen and sophomores from the team that lost in the finals last year really matured and developed big time. Gotta give Casey and his staff credit for that.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

callaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:10 pm
callaxdad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:55 am

100%!! Keep in mind, Bredahl, Boyden, Bruun and Swank all could've been playing on the team last year with a 5th/6th year, a la several players on RIT, CNU and Salisbury. No knock on the guys who used their extra years, they were screwed by BS Covid decisions and had every right to use that eligibility. However, several of the Tufts freshmen and sophomores from the team that lost in the finals last year really matured and developed big time. Gotta give Casey and his staff credit for that.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

The12lov3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:39 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 9:27 am
The12lov3 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:27 am

My problem are the records. Would Jude Brown be the all time leading scorer with 14 extra games under his belt. In theory if there are 23 games in a season including the NC, that would extrapolate out to 92 games. 14 extra games would translate to a lot more points. You take those away and Jude Brown is probably a lot lower on the toten poll.
I think that transfer from Stevens to MIT, Gephardt, has the record per a source (I am too lazy to look it up), he also had 6 years. Although, and no offense to Brown, I assume Gephardt was a much more serious student.
You might be right - My point is that these kids with those extra games are breaking records so it should be asterisk because of those extra games.
[/quote]

Rules have changed since the dawn of the sport. Every record should have an asterisk by your logic

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”