Kill it with fire
D86F9901-031B-4B11-B5F8-D2E1C0CE8045.jpeg (185.5 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 pm Just brutal. I guess I have to admit that I’ve been a Pollyanna. This is worse than I thought it would be. The lack of positive trend is surprising. Really thought this team would get better as the season went on. Isn’t happening.

PM had a pretty deep reservoir of goodwill with me too. But he’s burned though a fair amount of it with the Epstein comments and the confusing personnel decisions. Making it much harder to have the entirely necessary patience. BTW - Dixon was pretty hard on PM on his IL podcast.

Would really like to hear something from the assistants.

Guess this is a full rebuild. Good news is that we’ll end up with a really good pick in next years draft. Oh, wait guess it doesn’t work that way.
I'm not so surprised, but not in a bad way. There's a ton of experimenting going on out there. Makes it hard to "trend" as a team. But Milliman is trying to figure out what he has and what he lacks on the roster, and that's becoming clear. And some of the players are really thriving in new and unexpected roles. This season was never about W-L, and you have to at least appreciate the new staff is serious about working it out.
I guess. But it’s been 8 games.
Granted. I guess what I'm saying is if you're still in player identification and development mode after 8 games, it is what it is, and its going to be difficult to see consistent progression and improvement across 8 games.
Coaches still tinker when having the benefit of fall practice, fall scrimmages, spring preseason and early season games. New staff haven’t had a lot of time really.
“I wish you would!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

But there's an awful lot of tinkering still going on. And this is the 8th game of the season. Lack of fall ball on full practices notwithstanding, things still get more baffling every game.

1. What happened to Szuluk? I thought he was playing pretty well. Apparently didn't even see the field today.
2. So Shure is playing with a pole now? Why him?
3. Mabett is out of SSDM rotation entirely now?
4. Is Deans going to play again this year?
5. Glassmeyer, if not hurt, is in the witness protection program.
6. Keogh didn't play at all last week and now he's back in PM's good graces?
7. Why doesn't Grimes play at all in the second half?
8. How does Epstein go a whole game without a single point?
9. Given the nature of the offense, how do we end up with a total of 5 assists on 12 goals?
10. Yet again - is there not a goalie on the squad who can save 40% of the shots he faces?

Really got to wonder what morale is like around the team now - does anyone have any idea where they stand? It's really hard to imagine what things are like behind the scenes. Have to think it will be a very eventful offseason.
bananas

Post by bananas »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:53 pm But there's an awful lot of tinkering still going on. And this is the 8th game of the season. Lack of fall ball on full practices notwithstanding, things still get more baffling every game.

1. What happened to Szuluk? I thought he was playing pretty well. Apparently didn't even see the field today.
9. Given the nature of the offense, how do we end up with a total of 5 assists on 12 goals?
10. Yet again - is there not a goalie on the squad who can save 40% of the shots he faces?

Really got to wonder what morale is like around the team now - does anyone have any idea where they stand? It's really hard to imagine what things are like behind the scenes. Have to think it will be a very eventful offseason.
Apologize to Petro and bring him back. Maybe his son would change commit.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:53 pm But there's an awful lot of tinkering still going on. And this is the 8th game of the season. Lack of fall ball on full practices notwithstanding, things still get more baffling every game.

Obviously can't speak to morale, but teams where the locker room is lost have a particular look, and we don't look like that.

Funny that the criticism with Petro was that 80% of the team rode the bench for 4 years. Now we have a coach where lots of guys are getting run (if not consitently). Tough to have it both ways.

It is interesting we have sen Deans in the past few weeks. Hurt? I thought he looked pretty good and agressive out there.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Sorry if this was already discussed but I only checked the box score and didn’t see the game. Was Epstein benched?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:21 pm Sorry if this was already discussed but I only checked the box score and didn’t see the game. Was Epstein benched?
Not sure if he played the whole game, but he certainly played.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:15 pm

Obviously can't speak to morale, but teams where the locker room is lost have a particular look, and we don't look like that.

Funny that the criticism with Petro was that 80% of the team rode the bench for 4 years. Now we have a coach where lots of guys are getting run (if not consitently). Tough to have it both ways.

It is interesting we have sen Deans in the past few weeks. Hurt? I thought he looked pretty good and agressive out there.
Hope you're right about morale. No problem with lots of guys getting runs, just feels like a lot of yo-yo'ing going on and for reasons that aren't immediately apparent. Szuluk is the one I really don't understand. PM recruited him, so he's not a Petro guy, and he seemed to have been playing pretty well. McManus has been fine too, but still kinda baffling.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm D86F9901-031B-4B11-B5F8-D2E1C0CE8045.jpeg
Alex Concannon has 15 goals and 6 assists on the year.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:24 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:21 pm Sorry if this was already discussed but I only checked the box score and didn’t see the game. Was Epstein benched?
Not sure if he played the whole game, but he certainly played.
Epstein played the entire game at attack but failed to register a point.
Surprisingly, calling him out in the newspaper didn't seem to help his production. Go figure.
Szuluk started on close defense in the second game I think, but was then moved to lsm and now seems to have disappeared.
Benching Grimes in the second half after he had a hat trick in the first was a head scratcher.
Giving tons of PT to midfielders who haven't scored a point in over a month is another mystery.
Not letting Dunn face off again after he won the draw cleanly and scored...wow, I can't figure that one out either. Nawreski was clearly wearing down and Dunn was fresh...another imponderable mystery. When he finally got his chance again late in the game Tyler did very well but by that time it was too little too late.
Is this staff even trying to win games at this point??
Have we jumped from the Frying pan into the fire?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Well, they didn’t quit. And that’s a huge plus.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Prouty is MIA too. Guess he didn’t adapt to the new rules.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

In other news, I repaired a vacuum cleaner after the game. That sucked too.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

At least after you fixed it . . .
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

IMO the team offense has declined with virtually no midfield threats. First midfield needs at least 2 real threats
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The game was tied 10-10. Talent, effort are not issues. These games are being decided by 2-3 plays. It’s mental. Most stats were even. I don’t think there is very much at all separating these teams. They just made a few more plays than we did. It’s perfectly fair to question some
of the coaching decisions. They are not infallible. Yes in general they know a lot more than the average anonymouse forum poster, that’s for sure. But that doesn’t mean they don’t make mistakes.

To be positive for a second: What a great game for the freshmen. Peshko with his first goal, Martin (an offensive middie in high school) with 3 GBs and a CT as an SSDM. Obviously Grimes and then Dunn 4-7 and a goal. There is talent on this team to work with for the future.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm The game was tied 10-10. Talent, effort are not issues. These games are being decided by 2-3 plays. It’s mental. Most stats were even. I don’t think there is very much at all separating these teams. They just made a few more plays than we did. It’s perfectly fair to question some
of the coaching decisions. They are not infallible. Yes in general they know a lot more than the average anonymouse forum poster, that’s for sure. But that doesn’t mean they don’t make mistakes.

To be positive for a second: What a great game for the freshmen. Peshko with his first goal, Martin (an offensive middie in high school) with 3 GBs and a CT as an SSDM. Obviously Grimes and then Dunn 4-7 and a goal. There is talent on this team to work with for the future.
this is the post of a team that's 5-2 headed to the ncaa tournament, not what we're seeing here. I know I can be a bit, ahem, passionate, but this has to be the worst win loss stretch in the history of the program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm The game was tied 10-10. Talent, effort are not issues. These games are being decided by 2-3 plays. It’s mental. Most stats were even. I don’t think there is very much at all separating these teams. They just made a few more plays than we did. It’s perfectly fair to question some

this is the post of a team that's 5-2 headed to the ncaa tournament, not what we're seeing here. I know I can be a bit, ahem, passionate, but this has to be the worst win loss stretch in the history of the program.
What if I told you...no it wasn’t
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:15 pm They just made a few more plays than we did. It’s perfectly fair to question some
Man, I am so saving this post.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we have 2 wins with 3 weeks left so if they want to get looks at guys this week and next are the 2 last best shots. maryland you want to compete as hard as possible given the rivalry and then b1g is win or seasons over.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”