Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:52 pm
I don't think it'd be unfair to say they don't have an elite QB/Guy/difference maker yet; it largely depends on the speed of Erksa's development. If he's the guy he was in the 4Q, he's an All-American and this team could beat anybody at their best. If he's the guy he was in the Loyola game - and yes there's some shooting variance there - then they're still an elite team, but the offense looks a lot like last year and they're leaning on the D/McNaney/Wierman. That's the intriguing thing with this team right now. We're learning what their ceiling is on the fly and it could be game to game based on how these younger guys develop

I think it'd be unfair to say Spallina isn't elite based on this game; Zaps does this to everyone, Connor Shellenberger included. I don't know if Spallina is in the Top 5-6 tier yet, but he had some big games a year ago against tough competition. The bigger problem for them is that Hiltz just is not a true QB #2. I think they want that to be what UVA had with Shelly/Moore, but Hiltz is a pure feeder. He's a good accessory to Joey, not an initiator in his own right

As for the shot disparity, Syracuse was both playing faster and peppering the goal. They were 7s quicker on average taking their first shot in a possession - 40s in on average - whereas Maryland was taking their first shot on average 47s in. Maryland averaged only 0.78 shots per possession. In the first quarter, they had 7 shots on 10 possessions and scored 5; they were basically scoring on their first good look. In the 2nd quarter basically every possession was a turnover and they weren't getting shots off at all; third quarter onwards it became closer to what you'd expect, about a shot per possession. Cuse meanwhile was just in a shoot first mindset because, as you noted well, Maryland really took their ball movement away with Zaps shutting Spallina down and Hiltz a non-factor. Everything ran from the midfield.

I thought both teams rope units held up pretty well all things considered. That's the weakness on both teams right now; for Cuse coming into the season and Maryland after the injuries but each got some critical stops when needed and while there times where they got exposed, they also made adjustments and hung in there. If this is as "bad" as it gets for those units, I think they'll be okay. But it is the one thing holding them back right now from being pretty well stacked up.

That's how Cuse's schedule always is. Whether it best prepares them or not who knows, but nothing new
I think it's unfair to say Erksa isn't a difference maker. If his name was Millon or if he prepped at St. Anthony's, he'd be on the Tewaaraton list right now. He wouldn't win it, and he has plenty of skills to improve upon, especially close-in passing, but he's better than many of the current watch list guys. He was certainly the best offensive player on the field last night.
There are dudes on the Tewaaraton list who's names I don't even know. And I watch a lot of lacrosse. So that's not exactly my arbiter of who is and isn't a difference maker. In the 4th quarter, he absolutely was. He won his match-up, he was decisive, everything the team needs him to be. At other points against Richmond and Loyola he had lots of turnovers, and was more vacant in the game. He's a guy who's less than 20 games into his college career, so that's fine. Matt Rambo wasn't Matt Rambo yet by that point. The point isn't that he *can't* be or won't be; but that he hasn't yet done it week to week at a level that forces the defense to play him in a way they play the guys like Shellenberger, O'Neill, Kirst, etc. When he gets there - and I expect he will - this offense will take a step to another level that we've been hoping to see them take since last year.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:16 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:13 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:28 pm
mdk01 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:10 pm
UVAlaxfan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:56 pm its unreal that is two minutes unreleasable. Its a foul, but thats a lacrosse play. Ridiculous.
Don't recall seeing Schaller after that. Did they sit him?
I think they did
No he was back in the game
Didn't see him (and was looking). IL has him for 0's across the board in the box (which makes no sense given the penalty). Candidly, seemed like his removal coincided with SU playing better on offense and scoring more goals. I hope he's not in the dog house - think he makes you guys better.
Schaller's penalty was in the 1st quarter. I'm looking right at him in the 2nd quarter replay, so he was not benched. Maybe you're referring to Coffman, who had double knee surgeries over the past 2 years and was beat bad on his penalty play. Hopefully Schaller isn't injured; that should be the only reason why he wouldn't have played.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:56 pm its unreal that is two minutes unreleasable. Its a foul, but thats a lacrosse play. Ridiculous.
I think they did
Didn't see him (and was looking). IL has him for 0's across the board in the box (which makes no sense given the penalty). Candidly, seemed like his removal coincided with SU playing better on offense and scoring more goals. I hope he's not in the dog house - think he makes you guys better.
His penalty was in the first quarter. I see him several times in the 2nd quarter guarding Cuse 77. At around the 9:40 mark McNaney outlets to him on a clear. Did not see him in the 2nd half. They had Canfield on 77.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:20 pm
I think they did
His penalty was in the first quarter. I see him several times in the 2nd quarter guarding Cuse 77. At around the 9:40 mark McNaney outlets to him on a clear. Did not see him in the 2nd half. They had Canfield on 77.
That's Hiltz
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I don't think it'd be unfair to say they don't have an elite QB/Guy/difference maker yet; it largely depends on the speed of Erksa's development. If he's the guy he was in the 4Q, he's an All-American and this team could beat anybody at their best. If he's the guy he was in the Loyola game - and yes there's some shooting variance there - then they're still an elite team, but the offense looks a lot like last year and they're leaning on the D/McNaney/Wierman. That's the intriguing thing with this team right now. We're learning what their ceiling is on the fly and it could be game to game based on how these younger guys develop

I think it'd be unfair to say Spallina isn't elite based on this game; Zaps does this to everyone, Connor Shellenberger included. I don't know if Spallina is in the Top 5-6 tier yet, but he had some big games a year ago against tough competition. The bigger problem for them is that Hiltz just is not a true QB #2. I think they want that to be what UVA had with Shelly/Moore, but Hiltz is a pure feeder. He's a good accessory to Joey, not an initiator in his own right

As for the shot disparity, Syracuse was both playing faster and peppering the goal. They were 7s quicker on average taking their first shot in a possession - 40s in on average - whereas Maryland was taking their first shot on average 47s in. Maryland averaged only 0.78 shots per possession. In the first quarter, they had 7 shots on 10 possessions and scored 5; they were basically scoring on their first good look. In the 2nd quarter basically every possession was a turnover and they weren't getting shots off at all; third quarter onwards it became closer to what you'd expect, about a shot per possession. Cuse meanwhile was just in a shoot first mindset because, as you noted well, Maryland really took their ball movement away with Zaps shutting Spallina down and Hiltz a non-factor. Everything ran from the midfield.

I thought both teams rope units held up pretty well all things considered. That's the weakness on both teams right now; for Cuse coming into the season and Maryland after the injuries but each got some critical stops when needed and while there times where they got exposed, they also made adjustments and hung in there. If this is as "bad" as it gets for those units, I think they'll be okay. But it is the one thing holding them back right now from being pretty well stacked up.

That's how Cuse's schedule always is. Whether it best prepares them or not who knows, but nothing new
Personally, I think Shellenberger is the best offensive player in the nation. I know everyone points to O'Neill's production in the world games, but only in the world games is a guy like O'Neill getting a short stick. The talent on the USA team was insane, and O'Neill is going to run over most shorties because he's 240lbs! Will be interesting to see if O'Neill can lead to Duke to anything. He sure can plow the High Points and Bellarmines on their schedules. We'll see if he can do that to UVA and ND. Spallina, IMO, will be a phenomenal box pro because of his ability to use his body to get shots off. In the outdoor game, his lack of foot speed limits him. When you look at his splits last year between conference and non-conference, he feasts on cupcakes. I think he'll struggle against UVA and ND because their defensemen are big and mobile. Shellenberger to me is the complete package. He can run past you. He can run through you. He can juke you. He can score with either hand. We know O'Neill and Spallina are pretty one-handed at this point...O'Neill more so than Spallina.

I agree with you about Cuse's intent to have Spallina and Hiltz be what Shellenberger and Moore were at UVA, except in Cuse's case, they're running everything east-west like a box offense and north-south the way UVA does. I'm not sure it plays to Hiltz's strength in his shooting, though.

As for the Terps, I think what's holding their offense back more than anything is the lack of transition and early offense. Tills looks like he doesn't yet trust the offense enough to let them go early or really press in transition. He made a comment after the Loyola game about getting on them for turning the ball over early in possessions after the defense had played a long possession. We got so spoiled with the early offense and transition game in the 2021 and 2022 teams.

I think we might see more transition this weekend because Princeton will run even when they're turning the ball over. That will give the Terps some chances on a counter attack. Suspect we'll see some easy goals this weekend unless Princeton's goalie goes bonkers...of which he's capable.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:09 amSpallina, IMO, will be a phenomenal box pro because of his ability to use his body to get shots off. In the outdoor game, his lack of foot speed limits him. When you look at his splits last year between conference and non-conference, he feasts on cupcakes. I think he'll struggle against UVA and ND because their defensemen are big and mobile.
I agree here. One thing I noticed here is that it looked like Syracuse's only way of getting him free was the pick game. He just couldn't outright get past the pole otherwise. It's Zap, so that's a high standard, but it was still very noticeable.
As for the Terps, I think what's holding their offense back more than anything is the lack of transition and early offense. Tills looks like he doesn't yet trust the offense enough to let them go early or really press in transition. He made a comment after the Loyola game about getting on them for turning the ball over early in possessions after the defense had played a long possession. We got so spoiled with the early offense and transition game in the 2021 and 2022 teams.
They almost just pass around until they get the perfect shot. Syracuse's offense was bombs away, but Maryland was much more methodical in their shot selection. Almost too much.
Finster

Post by Finster »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:16 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:09 amSpallina, IMO, will be a phenomenal box pro because of his ability to use his body to get shots off. In the outdoor game, his lack of foot speed limits him. When you look at his splits last year between conference and non-conference, he feasts on cupcakes. I think he'll struggle against UVA and ND because their defensemen are big and mobile.
I agree here. One thing I noticed here is that it looked like Syracuse's only way of getting him free was the pick game. He just couldn't outright get past the pole otherwise. It's Zap, so that's a high standard, but it was still very noticeable.
They almost just pass around until they get the perfect shot. Syracuse's offense was bombs away, but Maryland was much more methodical in their shot selection. Almost too much.

To your last paragraph, that’s what I saw from Maryland against Richmond. Lots of passing. Too much sometimes.

I think quick and abundant passing is great in EMO opportunities, less so in settled offense.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:24 pm

To your last paragraph, that’s what I saw from Maryland against Richmond. Lots of passing. Too much sometimes.

I think quick and abundant passing is great in EMO opportunities, less so in settled offense.
UM offensive potency being questioned here but is it more about their style than substance ?

Absent dodgers beyond Erska , UM O was methodical but efficient on Saturday ,their production/score totals in wins over Cuse are similar in last three years despite different offenses and paces.

13g in 2024 off quality shots- 15g in 23 off quantity of shots - 14g in 22 off O talent machine

my take is Tillman gauges his team on both ends and tailors his approach n tempo contingent on his personnel. Move the ball around and hit a open shooter or cutter. Got a goalie like McNaney? Pack it in and let opponents take shots from outside.

This UM team strikes me as a team that won't blow you away stylistically ( had previously said their o vs UR was like watching mud dry then UVA scored just 2 more vs UR ) but has substance throughout and will hang around with any.
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:13 pm

UM offensive potency being questioned here but is it more about their style than substance ?

Absent dodgers beyond Erska , UM O was methodical but efficient on Saturday ,their production/score totals in wins over Cuse are similar in last three years despite different offenses and paces.

13g in 2024 off quality shots- 15g in 23 off quantity of shots - 14g in 22 off O talent machine

my take is Tillman gauges his team on both ends and tailors his approach n tempo contingent on his personnel. Move the ball around and hit a open shooter or cutter. Got a goalie like McNaney? Pack it in and let opponents take shots from outside.

This UM team strikes me as a team that won't blow you away stylistically ( had previously said their o vs UR was like watching mud dry then UVA scored just 2 more vs UR ) but has substance throughout and will hang around with any.

I mean, I agree with your analysis, and fwiw, I’m on record with all my buddies that Tillman is the best coach in men’s lacrosse: the guy just wins. Strikes me as our sport’s younger Bill Bellichick.

My call on Maryland so far (seeing them in person, then the Saturday game on television) is they will eat an opponent alive if Maryland gets too many man up opportunities.

And you’re 100% correct on their defense: Ajax and McNaney are an incredible luxury. That Virginia home game at College Park is looking more intriguing by the day; you can bet Shellenberger and Ajax have had that date circled for a while. I thought Cuse was going to win this past weekend, so what do I know.

Seeing Maryland’s schedule when it came out, I thought John bit off more than the team could chew. They’ve squeaked by twice; they have zero cupcakes…will the team be able to keep the momentum? I don’t know. Just a brutal schedule. They’ll need heroic effort from everyone to keep winning; they can’t rest once. Good for John, but man.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:14 pm

I think it's unfair to say Erksa isn't a difference maker. If his name was Millon or if he prepped at St. Anthony's, he'd be on the Tewaaraton list right now. He wouldn't win it, and he has plenty of skills to improve upon, especially close-in passing, but he's better than many of the current watch list guys. He was certainly the best offensive player on the field last night.
There are dudes on the Tewaaraton list who's names I don't even know. And I watch a lot of lacrosse. So that's not exactly my arbiter of who is and isn't a difference maker. In the 4th quarter, he absolutely was. He won his match-up, he was decisive, everything the team needs him to be. At other points against Richmond and Loyola he had lots of turnovers, and was more vacant in the game. He's a guy who's less than 20 games into his college career, so that's fine. Matt Rambo wasn't Matt Rambo yet by that point. The point isn't that he *can't* be or won't be; but that he hasn't yet done it week to week at a level that forces the defense to play him in a way they play the guys like Shellenberger, O'Neill, Kirst, etc. When he gets there - and I expect he will - this offense will take a step to another level that we've been hoping to see them take since last year.
he is definitely capable of it. has he put on weight? looks a bit thicker.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 pm

He's listed 180 this year. Last year was 170. So 10 lbs it seems. Would make sense.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:04 pm

He's listed 180 this year. Last year was 170. So 10 lbs it seems. Would make sense.
Maryland Lacrosse roster height and weights are provided by Kim Jong Un. Everyone grows 2 inches between high school and college; nobody shorter than 5 foot 10.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

That's really what I was getting at. It was such a contrast in style. Maryland runs a very methodical offense, and they really do look for the best shot. But sometimes...they seem to pass up a good shot in hopes for a better shot later on. And I think that's when you get into those ruts they've been having.

One reason I don't mind Erksa having turnovers like he does is that he's the one guy who it seems is willing to push it at times. Which makes the offense even scarier - then as a defense you have to defend not only the methodical passing offense, but then knowing that sometimes there's that chance someone will just take it to the rack on you, too. Take chances, get rewarded sometimes, fail sometimes.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

PulpExposure wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:31 am

That's really what I was getting at. It was such a contrast in style. Maryland runs a very methodical offense, and they really do look for the best shot. But sometimes...they seem to pass up a good shot in hopes for a better shot later on. And I think that's when you get into those ruts they've been having.

One reason I don't mind Erksa having turnovers like he does is that he's the one guy who it seems is willing to push it at times. Which makes the offense even scarier - then as a defense you have to defend not only the methodical passing offense, but then knowing that sometimes there's that chance someone will just take it to the rack on you, too. Take chances, get rewarded sometimes, fail sometimes.
What's interesting to me is the team has plenty of guys who can win match up pretty regularly. If you watch someone like Zach Whittier, you see how well he moves and stresses a defense. Winning a match up isn't a problem for Zach. It's what happens after he wins it. To your point, this is where the emphasis on ball movement comes into play. He's more likely to spin the ball after winning the match up than he is to shoot or go to goal. These guys are so conscious of taking bad shots or turning the ball over that they're really just going to move the ball if there's any doubt.

There's a couple of guys like this. Spanos, Malever, Murphy. I do think as the season progresses, these guys will all be more assertive. I'm sure Tills can live with Erksa's TOs, but I bet there's a lot, a lot, a lot of conversation about it throughout the week.

Or it's that Tills is worried about the short-stick defensive depth until Kolar returns and just doesn't want to get up and down until then.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Generally speaking offensive players like to shoot. If they are not shooting as frequently it is usually two things - they are struggling with confidence or they are being directed not too.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:10 am
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:41 pm What an amazing game. That was - and the women's game earlier being 2OT as well - everything you want as a showcase for lacrosse. Standalone power game, national TV spotlight, back and forth drama, incredible crowd in the Dome. It was fantastic. A total win and obviously stoked the Terps gritted their way through and got that W. Still +1 on the year and this team is showing some really promising signs while racking up some potential big wins for down the line

Pros
- There have been so many great #1 cover defenders and elite goalies in this program under Tillman; but for my money Zaps and McNaney are the best of them all. Saw all the reasons why tonight. McNaney was just incredible, dialed in from minute 1, Cuse got frustrated and forced shots in that first half and with the offense going quiet for the entire middle of that game, it was his presence as always that kept them in it. Zaps faced another stud and kept him in check. Cuse made the adjustments and it got their offense going, but they had to change their gameplan because he dictated the terms first, as he always does. So good.
- The close defense and poles are just tremendous. The communication, footwork, fundamentals are so strong. Owen Hiltz was a ghost. Schaller had him in jail. And Burlace had Mule locked up as well. One thing to take down Spallina; but to hold the #2/#3 attackmen on a team to 1 goal/1 assist is incredible
- Erksa started to emerge late there. The most confident and authoritative he's been all season, he wanted the ball and the offense got moving again because Cuse had to adjust to the fact he was winning his match-up. That's what we want to see from him. Hope it's a sign of things to come.
- The offense obviously has a fantastic opening "script" if you will; they have great 1Q's. Whatever Phipps/Tills ID on tape that they attack early, it's awesome. When the game develops though, things break down. Not enough shooting, the best athletes/dodgers are younger guys and older guys are great decision makers and role players but not the party starters. Leads to what we saw 2Q/3Q. But that 4Q was so encouraging. What we've been wanting to see last two years, them break through that wall and have a big offensive push late in the game. It happened with Erksa stepping up (assisted 7th goal, scored 8th and 9th) but also got basically the games only transition tallies through some big plays by Koras for the 10th and then obviously Stamos' winner
- It felt like Kohn was getting the better of Wierman and in the end Wierman went 16-29 and won some big ones in the 4Q. He always wins the big ones

Cons
- The shortie depth is going to be an issue. Hopefully Kolar comes back. I think Stamos will get better; he's clearly an amazing athlete and you can work with that. I think it's time to maybe try Brennan taking some shifts there and plug his offensive reps with Stobaugh who got some run later in the 2H. Cuse just targeted the shorties over and over in the 2H and outside of Redd I'm not sure there's anyone on the team I'm feeling 100% confident in. Wicks looked great and if you had Kolar there too you had 3 guys you felt good about which was a solid position. It's a long season, guys can come along, but it's an issue and with how many offensive middies they have, I'd try some of the better athletes they have on offense there.
- Basically everything in the 2Q/3Q on offense. They gotta figure out ways to make quicker adjustments. They have a great initial gameplan, and it's clear that until Erksa really pops or Malever feels 100% from the injury the offense is sort of going to be where it's at, but they have to sustain a higher floor throughout. Hopefully the end of 4Q is a building block for that
- Is Spanos hurt? Or was he hurt? He doesn't look right to me. He's got some type of deal on his knee and he just is not getting separation at all laterally. He just looks...gimpy.
- Malever doesn't look hurt, but he does look like a guy who's coming off a long layoff. Just a little gunshy. Hopefully he has a game here where it comes together and he gets the confidence back

Overall, a lot to feel good about. The offense had a big late 4Q push to get the win. Defense held an amazing Cuse offense to 12 goals. Kept battling and kept battling on the road and got the win. Great game. Onto Princeton
The defensive game plan the past 2 weeks have been stellar. Syracuse came into the game with its attack unit averaging 16 combined points per game. They were held to 5 tonight. 5. And 2 of those were five came from the Hiltz to Mule goal to tie the game at 12. Jesse forced Syracuse to win with its midfield. Spallina makes up for his average athleticism with elite stick skills, creativity, and body leveraging ability. But against an elite defender, his athleticism limits him. Mule and Hiltz are small-ish guys, and the big, athletic Terrapin defenders just erased them. So, yeah, Case's midfield put up 10 goals today and they almost won; but Maryland forced Syracuse to play in a way they don't like playing. Cuse had 4 assists on the game. So the trade off today was Maryland's rope unit looked worse than it did against Loyola. I do think Kolar is close to returning.

I'm sure we're going to hear Quint et al. blather about the "Terps not having THE GUY" on offense, but after seeing what Maryland did to Syracuse tonight, why can't the same be said about them? Because Spallina will put up 10 points against a MAAC team?

The stats on the game are kinda wonky. The Terps shot over 40% but only had 28 shots. So you think they must have turned the ball over a bunch. LaxRef had them at 11 turnovers. So what was happening on offense? Just grinding the shot clock and getting a late possession shot? Must have been.

Erksa is also interesting. His overall efficiency is low because of his turnover rate. They're just going to have to live with it. Malever got robbed on a goal by Mark, and then Mark robbed 2 Terps' shooters on great passes from Malever. So what can you do about that? A lesser goalie doesn't make those saves, and all the sudden, Malever has a goal and 3 assists. But that's lacrosse. Mark is a good goalie.

I really want to see Whittier get more run. He adds a different dynamic to the midfield. Siracusa gives the midfield explosiveness. Whitter gives it some scoot.

As AreaLax said, Spanos isn't injured. He's just not forcing things. He often draws the pole. If I'm a Cuse fan, I'm worried about their rope unit. Maryland unmercifully attacked them today and it wasn't even close.

Tonight was a big win. This team has some onions.

Can we also talk about Cuse's schedule? 8 straight home games to open the season? Kudos for playing Maryland and JHU but not leaving the Dome until mid March? Is that the best way to prepare them for a deep tournament run? If they stumble during their ACC schedule, their hot start will look like a mirage.

All very well said! Would just point out that Cuse is also down two projected guys in their top 4 ssdms. Max Rosa injured in Michigan scrimmage and Landon Clary injured against Colgate.

Spallina drew slides throughout the game. He went 1-2, but also was the main reason for the Sam English goal since he got free to move to the goal after Spallina drew a slide and passed it to him. Could have easily had a couple more if Finn Thomson was able to finish from point blank range. Had a couple additional solid looks at cage 1v1 but McNaney swallowed them up. Actually one of those where he got his best look may have been with #50 on him, not Zappitello. As you mention, there have been far worse performances against Zappitello, even from decorated stars. I thought McNaney was MVP for MD. Set the tone early and intimidated our shooters. He has a way of making tough saves look effortless. Makes excellent reads on the location of shots. Shocked we were not able to pull out the victory outshooting MD by 20.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm All very well said! Would just point out that Cuse is also down two projected guys in their top 4 ssdms. Max Rosa injured in Michigan scrimmage and Landon Clary injured against Colgate.

Spallina drew slides throughout the game. He went 1-2, but also was the main reason for the Sam English goal since he got free to move to the goal after Spallina drew a slide and passed it to him. Could have easily had a couple more if Finn Thomson was able to finish from point blank range. Had a couple additional solid looks at cage 1v1 but McNaney swallowed them up. Actually one of those where he got his best look may have been with #50 on him, not Zappitello. As you mention, there have been far worse performances against Zappitello, even from decorated stars. I thought McNaney was MVP for MD. Set the tone early and intimidated our shooters. He has a way of making tough saves look effortless. Makes excellent reads on the location of shots. Shocked we were not able to pull out the victory outshooting MD by 20.
Honestly, any attacker in a good offense could have had more goals and points in any game. Terps fans can say the same thing about Erksa, Malever, Maltz etc.

Spallina is an excellent player and may have the best stick skills and instincts of any D1 player, but he is not athletic. A non-fanboy could easily say that his 1 goal was only because of a miscommunication on a pick, and one of his assists was barely released and bounced after he was shut down. Zappitello dominated him. Zappitello dominates almost everyone, so it's not the end of the season for him, but I think most unbiased observers and opposing coaches appreciate Spallina's skill while realizing he's not exactly unstoppable like Jared Bernhardt was (or Shellenberger and O'Neill).
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

See some getting carried away here Spallina was defended well but he put 6 out of 7 shots on goal. Joey isn't running away from any decent defenders but he had free hands and could have scored three goals. Coulda woulda bs but spare the domination bs. Joey plays within team approach and if he saw presser Cuse plan was to have mids attack the dm's as UM packs
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Spallina is no doubt a very good player but #1 clearly dominated him. I’m sure he’ll have a good game against the Terps but he is 0 for 2.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

keno in reno wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm All very well said! Would just point out that Cuse is also down two projected guys in their top 4 ssdms. Max Rosa injured in Michigan scrimmage and Landon Clary injured against Colgate.

Honestly, any attacker in a good offense could have had more goals and points in any game. Terps fans can say the same thing about Erksa, Malever, Maltz etc.

Spallina is an excellent player and may have the best stick skills and instincts of any D1 player, but he is not athletic. A non-fanboy could easily say that his 1 goal was only because of a miscommunication on a pick, and one of his assists was barely released and bounced after he was shut down. Zappitello dominated him. Zappitello dominates almost everyone, so it's not the end of the season for him, but I think most unbiased observers and opposing coaches appreciate Spallina's skill while realizing he's not exactly unstoppable like Jared Bernhardt was (or Shellenberger and O'Neill).
Mayyybe if MD was not even sending a hint of a slide Spallinas way throughout the game I would be more fine with the use of the word "dominate" but that is just not how it went down man. That "barely released" assist you mention was with Spallina getting leverage topside from 10 yards out. The D was not comfortable with him there and slid. It was Spallina getting to his spot that lead to the goal, even if he could barely get energy on the pass with Zappitello draped on his arm. Very similar play on the Sam English goal that made it 7-6 cuse. Watch that tape. I assure you these are not just fanboy interpretations.

Unstoppable Shellenberger also went 1-2 against the matchup last time the two teams played. Eerily similar 1-7 shooting too. Pat Kav 1-2 on 1-9 shooting. There are more ways to be elite than insane speed and athleticism. But I am sensing we are deep in agree to disagree territory here.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”