Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by OCanada »

PM would have done better to get DPs top recruits in earlier in the season. There is real talent there. At least 4 players changed their destination. Not surprising though Cuse has the top two recruits per IL; They may or may not be but they are elite prospects

SU has its issues too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am PM would have done better to get DPs top recruits in earlier in the season. There is real talent there. At least 4 players changed their destination. Not surprising though Cuse has the top two recruits per IL; They may or may not be but they are elite prospects

SU has its issues too.
There 100% is talent there—but they may not all have been ready in February. These kids didn't have a senior year of high school. Then they had no fall ball. Then preseason was interrupted. To take a page out of 51's book it's a lot to ask Jimmy McGillicuddy to go directly from being a junior in high school to playing Maryland and covering Jared Bernardt at Byrd in the third week of the season. This year was basically still their senior years of high school from a development standpoint. If PM thought they were ready to go, he'd have put them in. He started Grimes and Deans immediately. McDermott saw action from the beginning but clearly wasn't comfortable yet. It also sounds like Chauvette was in the plans before he got hurt. PM did what he could—I don't think mixing them in even more than that from the jump would have meaningfully changed the outcome of the season. Given how they looked at the end of the year it's hard to argue with the process. The important thing is that those guys started contributing A LOT by April and that bodes well for the future.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Top talent will perform sooner rather than later but I take your point in general.

I recall not long ago some clamoring for Zinn to play. He still can’t shoot and still makes bad decisions.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 am Top talent will perform sooner rather than later but I take your point in general.

I recall not long ago some clamoring for Zinn to play. He still can’t shoot and still makes bad decisions.
Yes but does that have to be his fate for all eternity? After a fine freshman campaign, DeSimone looked pretty lost. He had become a nonentity. Then after the position switch to attack, he came on strong this season and evolved into arguably the teams best offensive player.
I realize Zinn has found a niche for himself at ssdm and is giving the team points in transition but it's not impossible that he overcomes his jitters on offense to the point he can contribute there. If you move Grimes to attack, you've got a gaping hole on the 2 mid line. How do you fill that?
A true middie transfer would be nice but barring that do you really want to move another reserve attackmen back to midfield? It would me nice to have some true middies playing offensive midfield and Zinn potentially could fill that role.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

SCOTUSblog
@SCOTUSblog
NEW: In a victory for college athletes, SCOTUS unanimously invalidates a portion of the NCAA's "amateurism" rules. The court says the NCAA can no longer bar colleges from providing athletes with education-related benefits such as free laptops or paid post-graduate internships.

Time to flex our muscles. No excuse for PM/Baker not to use hopkin$$$$ mu$$$$cle to get the guys they need. Should be a conference call this afternoon to figure out how to max advantages w/this recruiting wise.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:53 am SCOTUSblog
@SCOTUSblog
NEW: In a victory for college athletes, SCOTUS unanimously invalidates a portion of the NCAA's "amateurism" rules. The court says the NCAA can no longer bar colleges from providing athletes with education-related benefits such as free laptops or paid post-graduate internships.

Time to flex our muscles. No excuse for PM/Baker not to use hopkin$$$$ mu$$$$cle to get the guys they need. Should be a conference call this afternoon to figure out how to max advantages w/this recruiting wise.
Yep … money race is on. I’m sure North Carolina is already looking for ways to take advantage of this new framework … including offering athletes real academic classes. ;)

I can definitely see Hopkins offering free tutoring and maybe more cash for “books and supplies.”

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am
@SCOTUSblog

Yep … money race is on. I’m sure North Carolina is already looking for ways to take advantage of this new framework … including offering athletes real academic classes. ;)

I can definitely see Hopkins offering free tutoring and maybe more cash for “books and supplies.”

DocBarrister ;)
Do you think this ruling affects limits on the number of scholarships schools can give? I've always thought 12.5 scholies is too few for lacrosse.
Apparently it leaves open the possibility that conferences can be restrictive, but any conference that does that will be at a huge disadvantage in recruiting, retention, etc.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:41 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am
@SCOTUSblog

DocBarrister ;)
Do you think this ruling affects limits on the number of scholarships schools can give? I've always thought 12.5 scholies is too few for lacrosse.
Apparently it leaves open the possibility that conferences can be restrictive, but any conference that does that will be at a huge disadvantage in recruiting, retention, etc.
I haven’t read the actual opinion, but my understanding is that it applies to education-related funding, not athletic scholarships.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

From USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 237656001/

"The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against the NCAA in a landmark antitrust case that specifically challenged the association’s ability to have national limits on benefits for athletes that are related to education, but more broadly had raised doubts about its ability to limit benefits at all.

The ruling will end the association’s nationwide limits on education-related benefits athletes can receive for playing college sports.

Among the other benefits that schools also can offer are scholarships to complete undergraduate or graduate degrees at any school and paid internships after athletes have completed their collegiate sports eligibility.

Schools will not be required to provide these types of benefits, and conferences can impose prohibitions on certain benefits if their member schools so choose. However, conferences cannot act in concert. So, if a conference chooses to limit or prevent certain benefits, it risks giving a competitive advantage to other conferences."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm From USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 237656001/

"The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against the NCAA in a landmark antitrust case that specifically challenged the association’s ability to have national limits on benefits for athletes that are related to education, but more broadly had raised doubts about its ability to limit benefits at all.

The ruling will end the association’s nationwide limits on education-related benefits athletes can receive for playing college sports.

Among the other benefits that schools also can offer are scholarships to complete undergraduate or graduate degrees at any school and paid internships after athletes have completed their collegiate sports eligibility.

Schools will not be required to provide these types of benefits, and conferences can impose prohibitions on certain benefits if their member schools so choose. However, conferences cannot act in concert. So, if a conference chooses to limit or prevent certain benefits, it risks giving a competitive advantage to other conferences."
If we were an independent this would be up to Daniels/Baker/Milliman. Instead we're beholden to Rosemont which I'm sure given how little revenue lacrosse brings in, will want to limit these benefits/expenses as much as possible.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I haven’t read the opinion either.

t the moment a full year at Hopkins is about 75,000. A full year for an instate student at UNC is about 25,000 I M told. Over 4 years all else being equal Hopkins costs 200,000 more assuming all else is equal eg both schools offer the same schollie.

I asked the parent of 2 players who became AAs at another school. Dad was a Hop player. I believe earned AA at some level. I asked him why his kids went to big state school. He replied, at the time, if he paid the difference between the offers of both schools he would pay more than 200k for them to go to Hopkins and he didn’t think it was worth it. Now it might be 400k.

I don’t see Hopkins finding money to pay lax players much if anything compared to big state schools or big foundation schools etc.

I don’t think Hop participates in B1G TV money it I also don’t think they can push Hopkins out.

Have to think about it.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

For what it's worth, on a roster of 58, UNC only has four players from North Carolina and they're all benchwarmers. The in-state tuition hasn't mattered a lick for them. That said, their out-of-state tuition is also relatively affordable. As is Maryland's. Both those schools have benefited.

The Ivies, Duke, ND, Georgetown, UMich (out of state), UVA (out of state), BU, Lehigh, Villanova, Syracuse are all similarly priced as Hopkins, around 55-60k per year. It is what it is. Not changing. Hop, just like a lot of other schools, has to recruit within those limits and dispense aid/scholarships smartly. The Bloomberg $ helps.

I don't think this SCOTUS decision is going to have humongous implications in the sport of lacrosse. If they take it further and continue to allow athletes to share in the wealth of NCAA sports (long overdue, IMO, but that's a discussion for another day) then that could have an impact on recruiting. But as of now I don't see it as a game-changer.

Back to actual lacrosse for a second: I watched the NJ Tournament of Champions final between Don Bosco and Summit. Koleton Marquis had a hat trick and Bosco won, completing their undefeated season. The announcer said he spoke to John Grant. Jr. who apparently said Marquis has the best vision for a high school player he's ever seen. He does have good vision but that wouldn't even be his #1 attribute if you asked me. His stick skills are otherworldly. Cannot wait to see him in blue and black.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DeSimone had injury issues. Usually the case when productivity drops sharply
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm I haven’t read the opinion either.

t the moment a full year at Hopkins is about 75,000. A full year for an instate student at UNC is about 25,000 I M told. Over 4 years all else being equal Hopkins costs 200,000 more assuming all else is equal eg both schools offer the same schollie.

I asked the parent of 2 players who became AAs at another school. Dad was a Hop player. I believe earned AA at some level. I asked him why his kids went to big state school. He replied, at the time, if he paid the difference between the offers of both schools he would pay more than 200k for them to go to Hopkins and he didn’t think it was worth it. Now it might be 400k.

I don’t see Hopkins finding money to pay lax players much if anything compared to big state schools or big foundation schools etc.

I don’t think Hop participates in B1G TV money it I also don’t think they can push Hopkins out.

Have to think about it.
Bloomberg's donation has made a huge difference for Hopkins. My child is going to Hopkins in the fall and we received a Hopkins grant of almost 60K and our household income is over 200k. A lot of kids won't even need to use scholarship money because they can get more from financial aid allowing those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out much more among the players who may not qualify for aid.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:24 pm For what it's worth, on a roster of 58, UNC only has four players from North Carolina and they're all benchwarmers. The in-state tuition hasn't mattered a lick for them. That said, their out-of-state tuition is also relatively affordable. As is Maryland's. Both those schools have benefited.

The Ivies, Duke, ND, Georgetown, UMich (out of state), UVA (out of state), BU, Lehigh, Villanova, Syracuse are all similarly priced as Hopkins, around 55-60k per year. It is what it is. Not changing. Hop, just like a lot of other schools, has to recruit within those limits and dispense aid/scholarships smartly. The Bloomberg $ helps.

I don't think this SCOTUS decision is going to have humongous implications in the sport of lacrosse. If they take it further and continue to allow athletes to share in the wealth of NCAA sports (long overdue, IMO, but that's a discussion for another day) then that could have an impact on recruiting. But as of now I don't see it as a game-changer.

Back to actual lacrosse for a second: I watched the NJ Tournament of Champions final between Don Bosco and Summit. Koleton Marquis had a hat trick and Bosco won, completing their undefeated season. The announcer said he spoke to John Grant. Jr. who apparently said Marquis has the best vision for a high school player he's ever seen. He does have good vision but that wouldn't even be his #1 attribute if you asked me. His stick skills are otherworldly. Cannot wait to see him in blue and black.
Quint's right. No need to be in the big ten anymore and if anything it's hurting us because it's pumping 10s of millions into a once financially strained marylands coffers. Because we're in the conference hopkins response to scotus decision today will be decided by a bunch of schools w/different financial and academic interests than ours. If we were an independent this would be decided by daniels, pm, baker, and fritz schroeder or whomever runs development on this stuff.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:24 pm For what it's worth, on a roster of 58, UNC only has four players from North Carolina and they're all benchwarmers. The in-state tuition hasn't mattered a lick for them. That said, their out-of-state tuition is also relatively affordable. As is Maryland's. Both those schools have benefited.

Heck, Boys Latin and McDonogh have more kids on their lax team from North Carolina than UNC does!!!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The Bloomberg money was donated so Hopkins no longer had to take less qualified students in favor of students that could pay. In other words to improve the academic quality of the undergrad student body. If a student is as qualified as others no problem but if a grant is made that essentially is an Addition to 12.6 schollies that is a problem. It will likely depend on each individual. It will still probably leave a gap. Even so I doubt Hopkins can add income to individual students off other revenue
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 am The Bloomberg money was donated so Hopkins no longer had to take less qualified students in favor of students that could pay. In other words to improve the academic quality of the undergrad student body. If a student is as qualified as others no problem but if a grant is made that essentially is an Addition to 12.6 schollies that is a problem. It will likely depend on each individual. It will still probably leave a gap. Even so I doubt Hopkins can add income to individual students off other revenue
How do you measure “qualified”?
“I wish you would!”
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Isn't part of the athletic admissions "game" to get actual out of state players the in state tuition cost? I always remember hearing that was part of how the sausage was made at pretty much all universities...
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:44 am
Isn't part of the athletic admissions "game" to get actual out of state players the in state tuition cost? I always remember hearing that was part of how the sausage was made at pretty much all universities...

Depends on state and campus rules. For example in California, obtaining instate residency is nearly impossible for OOS kids, so the UC athletic departments have to pick up the OOS tuition/fees for scholarship kids.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”