Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Boston College

Post by wlaxphan20 »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:13 pm Very strong half by the Eagles. Offense, of course, has a decidedly different look this year, but it is still very effective with quite a few good finishers/scorers. If Belle Smith isn't the most complete player in the college game today, I don't know who is. NU had too many mistakes/unforced errors.

BC isn't using a traditional all-over-the-field face guard on Scane, e.g., like the old Whittle FG. Rather, they are closely marking her (with different players from time to time) say, 15-20 yds out and running a double at her when she touches the ball. Very effective "so far." I never understand why teams (in general) don't do more to spring their big gun free when a defense of this nature is used. We'll see if NU adapts in the second half.

BC has done a good job of weathering NU's runs "so far." We'll see if that continues in the second half.

Good game. I knuckled and signed up for Big+. Getting my money's worth so far.
I agree, seems like more of a soft FG or denial defense. Have seen BC defenders switching on her as well when she sets screens and picks.

BC's offense reminds me of the way they played during the Big 3 era.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Boy, am I glad I don't have a dog in this hunt (as I did last Sunday in that football game :x ). Otherwise, my nerves would be shot.

Also VERY glad we have the shot clock as otherwise we would be into keep away time.

Looking forward to a great conclusion.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

what a game..i gotta say no offense to Charlotte North but watching Izzy Scane..she's just a better player. All CN had over her is shot power. But she had that over everyone. as a pure player Scane is lethaaaal. Good luck defending her.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Great game. Very tough loss for BC who, frankly, controlled the play for much of the game.

Eagles did a good job on Scane yet she scored four goals. At least she didn't dominate.

Very scrappy game from the Wildcats who, to my eyes, need to clean up some sloppiness.

Play this game again in May and I couldn't bet a nickel on who would win.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

BC let this one slip away.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:31 pm what a game..i gotta say no offense to Charlotte North but watching Izzy Scane..she's just a better player. All CN had over her is shot power. But she had that over everyone. as a pure player Scane is lethaaaal. Good luck defending her.
its early but shes my pick for Tewey - Scane just has this physical presence.
Still not sure why BC changed goalies. usually AWW is smarter than that. ( NU 7/10 on FP was Dif maker.)
Gave up 5 goals yikes.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:37 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:31 pm what a game..i gotta say no offense to Charlotte North but watching Izzy Scane..she's just a better player. All CN had over her is shot power. But she had that over everyone. as a pure player Scane is lethaaaal. Good luck defending her.
its early but shes my pick for Tewey - Scane just has this physical presence.
Still not sure why BC changed goalies. usually AWW is smarter than that. ( NU 7/10 on FP was Dif maker.)
Gave up 5 goals yikes.
Idk but starting goalie, according to box score, had 6 saves. All in Q1. Might have had something to do with it?
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:17 pm Boy, am I glad I don't have a dog in this hunt (as I did last Sunday in that football game :x ). Otherwise, my nerves would be shot.
I can assure you that is the case... completely frazzled! What a game! Way more invested than I could have imagined for Feb 19 tilt.
Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:09 pm ... BC will rely on their various other AA and all ACC defenders to deal with secondary scorers. If BC can limit NW to under 14 goals they have a pretty good chance of winning.
Impressive, lax101. Nice defensive job on #27, other 'cats got it done. Tip of the cap.

Tough outcome but the scar tissue will serve the Eags well down the road.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:33 pm Great game. Very tough loss for BC who, frankly, controlled the play for much of the game.

Eagles did a good job on Scane yet she scored four goals. At least she didn't dominate.

Very scrappy game from the Wildcats who, to my eyes, need to clean up some sloppiness.

Play this game again in May and I couldn't bet a nickel on who would win.
Any update on the defender Scheicher #28?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don't have one.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Nothing too serious. She'll play this weekend.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:21 pm Nothing too serious. She'll play this weekend.
Glad it’s nothing serious, I like her play a lot
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Quick shout out to Rachel Hall for getting off to a strong start in 2023. I don't think it's been mentioned here before, but I was happy to see her named an Honorable Mention Preseason All American by USA Lacrosse. She has looked athletic and confident in three games against ranked opponents. Despite playing all three games indoors (usually not a goalie-friendly environment) she has saved more than 50% of the shots she faced. Against Northwestern, she was forced to handle a remarkable 10 free position shots. She has been a vocal leader and has done a nice job on her outlet passes. Love it when the nice kids off the field are also successful on the field!
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Just had a chance to watch the replay of the Nu/Bc game. Knowing the outcome and story line before hand made me watch differently than usual.
I have a rules question for the board. If a shooter takes a shot and it is saved but there is a penalty and/or a yellow card on the shooter( dangerous propel/shot) or on the defender (cross check/shooting space) does the goalie get the save? I always thought if it was in the shooter it was a change of possession( and no credit if the shot had gone in the net) and if it was on the defender, it was a 8 meter penalty shot.
Any thoughts?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can, what do your sources say as to why AWW is substituting Dolce in for Hall at the end of games? Having Dolce play the 4th Q in the first two games that were comfortably in hand made some sense in terms of giving the frosh some experience, but pulling Hall towards the end of the 3rd Q of the NU game with BC leading 12-10 and the game still very much undecided seemed odd to me. Hall wasn't playing poorly and hadn't just given up a soft goal. And the change wasn't made at the start of the 4th Q as had been the case in the first two games.
Memyself

Post by Memyself »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:34 am I have a rules question for the board. If a shooter takes a shot and it is saved but there is a penalty and/or a yellow card on the shooter( dangerous propel/shot) or on the defender (cross check/shooting space) does the goalie get the save? I always thought if it was in the shooter it was a change of possession( and no credit if the shot had gone in the net) and if it was on the defender, it was a 8 meter penalty shot.
Any thoughts?
Refer to page 5 of the 2023 Official Women's Lacrosse Statistics Rules (link below)
Section 7 SHOTS, Example: A.R. 2. A1 takes a shot that is ruled dangerous or is otherwise nullified by a foul call. A shot is not charged, nor a save credited for goalie B1 (if saved), nor a goal awarded (if scored). Shots, saves and goals should only be credited on plays in which the goal would be counted by the officials if the ball went into the net.

Link to 2023 Official Women’s Lacrosse Statistics Rules http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... wlax23.pdf
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:36 am Can, what do your sources say as to why AWW is substituting Dolce in for Hall at the end of games? Having Dolce play the 4th Q in the first two games that were comfortably in hand made some sense in terms of giving the frosh some experience, but pulling Hall towards the end of the 3rd Q of the NU game with BC leading 12-10 and the game still very much undecided seemed odd to me. Hall wasn't playing poorly and hadn't just given up a soft goal. And the change wasn't made at the start of the 4th Q as had been the case in the first two games.
I don't read too much into this substitution plan. It reminds me of 2017 -- the first run to the NCAA championship game -- when AWW played Ochoa and Daly equally from the first game of the season onward. As you know, Dolce was a very highly-regarded recruit from excellent HS and club programs in CT. I think the staff looked at it like 2017 and concluded that platooning is OK as long as both players understand the plan clearly from the outset. To me, the body language from RH seems very positive when she hands over the goal to SD. I think even more so than most goalies, RH thrives when she's in a "flow state" and doesn't overthink the game. It's a long grind of a season in the ACC, so preserving some freshness and hunger is a good thing. The impossible question to answer is whether RH is playing better because (a) she's being pushed, (b) she's simply a year more experienced, (c) she has a little less pressure on her playing only three quarters, or (d) a combination of all three. Looking ahead, AWW would of course prefer to enter 2024 with Dolce having already been tested by the best college players in the country.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Thank you for the rule clarifications. If true the new goalie didn’t have a save in the game. Credited 5 GA 2 Saves. Make the switch look worse and unwarranted. Watching the game knowing there was a questionable goalie change, I wanted to try to understand why in such a tight game.
AWW in my opinion has been the best coach the last five years with deep Championship runs with different players and coaching staffs. Not piling on. She knows best but……..
Last play for Hall was a run out ground ball pick up to the far sideline with a nice( flip the field long pass) that led to a nice clear.
New goalie comes in before the 4th and lets in a FP , tough baptism. I feel bad. Does Hall make that save? Set tone for 4th? I know that she didn’t have a save since the 1st. Timing seems really strange. Freshman could get an extra 5+ minutes of warm up if they wait.
Anyone who was there, did she warm up on the sideline or go in cold?
Interested in the game strategy.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Thank you for the rule clarifications. If true the new goalie didn’t have a save in the game. Credited 5 GA 2 Saves. Make the switch look worse and unwarranted. Watching the game knowing there was a questionable goalie change, I wanted to try to understand why in such a tight game.
AWW in my opinion has been the best coach the last five years with deep Championship runs with different players and coaching staffs. Not piling on. She knows best but……..
Last play for Hall was a run out ground ball pick up to the far sideline with a nice( flip the field long pass) that led to a nice clear.
New goalie comes in before the 4th and lets in a FP , tough baptism. I feel bad. Does Hall make that save? Set tone for 4th? I know that she didn’t have a save since the 1st. Timing seems really strange. Freshman could get an extra 5+ minutes of warm up if they wait.
Anyone who was there, did she warm up on the sideline or go in cold?
Interested in the game strategy.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:34 am Just had a chance to watch the replay of the Nu/Bc game. Knowing the outcome and story line before hand made me watch differently than usual.
I have a rules question for the board. If a shooter takes a shot and it is saved but there is a penalty and/or a yellow card on the shooter( dangerous propel/shot) or on the defender (cross check/shooting space) does the goalie get the save? I always thought if it was in the shooter it was a change of possession( and no credit if the shot had gone in the net) and if it was on the defender, it was a 8 meter penalty shot.
Any thoughts?
The short answer...it depends on who's keeping the official stats. By rule, there shouldn't be a save recorded in that instance.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”