Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

I use it for everything...primarily designed for turning fish. It has a jaunty angle, much like how I wear my kangol. :lol:
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thought I'd bring the picture over here, so I deleted my original post to do that but that didn't work.
Meanwhile, youth was answering, that's why things look a little out of order here.
ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am Todays food quiz. What is the name of this kitchen implement and what is unique about it?

F224C434-8DC8-40C4-A3A9-64724997887B.jpeg
Google makes it tougher to stump a crowd in today's world.
I'm going to go with this:
Why are spatulas called slotted turner?
It is designed with an angled edge and slotted surface to allow for easy turning on fish or other food items. The slots allow food juices to drain away. In Britain, this type of turner is known as a “fish slice.” But many folks would recognize this as a good, old-fashioned spatula.
https://sonalsart.com/why-would-you-nee ... d-spatula/
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:26 am Thought I'd bring the picture over here, so I deleted my original post to do that but that didn't work.
Meanwhile, youth was answering, that's why things look a little out of order here.
ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 am Todays food quiz. What is the name of this kitchen implement and what is unique about it?

Google makes it tougher to stump a crowd in today's world.
I'm going to go with this:
Why are spatulas called slotted turner?
It is designed with an angled edge and slotted surface to allow for easy turning on fish or other food items. The slots allow food juices to drain away. In Britain, this type of turner is known as a “fish slice.” But many folks would recognize this as a good, old-fashioned spatula.
https://sonalsart.com/why-would-you-nee ... d-spatula/
While Youth seems to understand what the implement is used for he failed to properly name it and specify it’s uniqueness and therefore gets 5,000 demerit points.

Even the resident southie failed to discover its uniqueness.

It is a fish spatula. It’s long blade and supreme flexibility makes it a great tool for fish cookery. It is unique because it’s a left handed spatula as the angle indicates. Retail stores only supply goods for the slow-witted right-handers.

I bought it about 15 years ago at the professional chef/kitchen supply store J.B. Prince on 36 E 31st Street, 6th floor in Manhattan.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, you know that's something I wouldn't normally miss. That angle is tough to see even knowing (now) it's there.
It's higher/longer on the left side and slightly angles lower on the right side? The slots get longer as they go to the right?
JFTR, I'm far more likely to use a spatula right handed than left which isn't to say I wouldn't be darn near as comfortable using it with my left. In seventy years I haven't ever really figured out if I'm a lefty or righty. Left handed spatula almost sounds like left handed chop sticks...but I do believe you.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 am
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:26 am Thought I'd bring the picture over here, so I deleted my original post to do that but that didn't work.

While Youth seems to understand what the implement is used for he failed to properly name it and specify it’s uniqueness and therefore gets 5,000 demerit points.

It is a fish spatula. It’s long blade and supreme flexibility makes it a great tool for fish cookery. It is unique because it’s a left handed spatula as the angle indicates. Retail stores only supply goods for the slow-witted right-handers.

I believe I will earn back my 5000 demerit points by calling in to question your use of the overly generalized term spatula. I did use the appropriate term, 'turner'. The item in question should officially be termed a FIsh Turner, not a spatula. Because this often happens with highly skilled chef's and even a sommelier, you shall be granted a pass. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 am While Youth seems to understand what the implement is used for he failed to properly name it and specify it’s uniqueness and therefore gets 5,000 demerit points.

I believe I will earn back my 5000 demerit points by calling in to question your use of the overly generalized term spatula. I did use the appropriate term, 'turner'. The item in question should officially be termed a FIsh Turner, not a spatula. Because this often happens with highly skilled chef's and even a sommelier, you shall be granted a pass. ;) :lol:

for reference:https://foodsguy.com/spatula-vs-turner/
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ARGH!!! Still waiting for the weather to turn nice so that I can go out and watch some high school baseball and softball. Season starts this week but the weather still looks as if it's still winter time.

Meantime, baked myself a peach cobbler, had a generous and tasty chunk this morning with my Bustelo coffee.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... Q&usqp=CAU
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Big fan of Bustelo. Cold as hell here in Md as well. Practice and games in the low 30’s and high winds are brutal.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks good, Brook, a little whipped cream would go right nice on that too. Love the lefty spoon effect.
Yesterday looked like January here in the Cuse, cold and windy again today...I've had enough of it at
this point. Game conditions for the Loyola-Cuse wlaxers in the Dome tonight aren't quite like yours
though, youth. Perfect would pretty much describe it.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:41 pm Looks good, Brook, a little whipped cream would go right nice on that too. Love the lefty spoon effect.
Yesterday looked like January here in the Cuse, cold and windy again today...I've had enough of it at
this point. Game conditions for the Loyola-Cuse wlaxers in the Dome tonight aren't quite like yours
Took off my wind shirt at the turn and played the back nine in shirt sleeves yesterday. The long time locals said 65 degrees was a bit cold for this time of year. I may try a cobbler when peaches are in season. SC peaches are superior to GA btw. :D
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:25 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:41 pm Looks good, Brook, a little whipped cream would go right nice on that too. Love the lefty spoon effect.
Took off my wind shirt at the turn and played the back nine in shirt sleeves yesterday. The long time locals said 65 degrees was a bit cold for this time of year. I may try a cobbler when peaches are in season. SC peaches are superior to GA btw. :D
Thanks for rubbing it in X. Maryland weather is a PIA.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Am a little hooked on chives right now, really tasty little things. Had no luck with them in the garden last year, see them popping up already this year, maybe they'll do better this year. Most of the time they have fresh ones at Wegman's.
A nice little breakfast treat for ya. Chop up some chives, tomato, and scallions. Couple of eggs, cream/milk, S&P (some cajun would be good in there too). Scramble 'em up and when you put them in the pan, throw some hunks of cream cheese in there. Really nice combination of flavors, would make an excellent breakfast sandwich with a couple of pieces of bacon on there too.
DMac's simple but tasty recipe of the day.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:21 am Am a little hooked on chives right now, really tasty little things. Had no luck with them in the garden last year, see them popping up already this year, maybe they'll do better this year. Most of the time they have fresh ones at Wegman's.
A nice little breakfast treat for ya. Chop up some chives, tomato, and scallions. Couple of eggs, cream/milk, S&P (some cajun would be good in there too). Scramble 'em up and when you put them in the pan, throw some hunks of cream cheese in there. Really nice combination of flavors, would make an excellent breakfast sandwich with a couple of pieces of bacon on there too.
I agree. A lot of uses for chives. I didn’t have much luck growing them in the past but will have to give it another shot this year.
This season will be my sixth with tarragon which keeps coming back. Easy to grow and lots of uses, especially in warmer months when I poach salmon and serve it cool. I’ll photo my next opportunity.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Had good luck with everything else. Basil, oregano (which comes back every year too and is really good oregano...don't know what kind), couple of different kinds of parsley, and strawberry mint. Don't know what to do with that but it comes back strong every year too. Chives came up but never got bigger than little blades of grass. Other people say they come back every year and do great for them. Fresh herbs are really good!!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:21 am Am a little hooked on chives right now, really tasty little things. Had no luck with them in the garden last year, see them popping up already this year, maybe they'll do better this year. Most of the time they have fresh ones at Wegman's.
Chives grow in my garden every year. I've never had to do a thing with them. I cut them back in late fall and they come up and thrive every year like crazy. They must like the soil. They are planted above and underground aquifer, maybe that makes a difference. I like your recipe for an egg sammich. I will try it when the chives come up.
FTR, mint is indestructible. It grows in the back of my garden..you can try and dig it out, burn it out, roto til it out, it always comes back with a vengeance.

FTR, I still can't build up the courage to clean my cast iron pans with soap and water. i understand it is okay but i just can't bring myself to do it. My 10 inch Lodge fry pan cleans up like a breeze. No matter what i cook in it a quick swipe with a cloth with vegetable oil and it looks great. My other lodge griddle pan is more labor intensive. I use the side with the ridges for steaks and burgers and such. My cleaning method is popsicle sticks and a light scour with a green scrubbie pad. I'm too old school to change now, but i swear by my cast iron pans. Once a year I fry up bacon and use the grease to fry up a couple of sunny side up eggs that I cover with a pan for about 30 seconds. Toast and homefries and that is the best breakfast ever. FTR, I make my own homefries as well..
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
ardilla secreta

Here’s the righteous way to eat steak. A dinner salad of romaine and spring mix dressed with Dijon vinaigrette enhanced with anchovy and garlic then garnished with steamed potatoes, roasted cipollini onions, quail eggs, rye bread croutons and strips of skirt steak.
79629FCF-8876-4254-8F1E-009045BFD128.jpeg
79629FCF-8876-4254-8F1E-009045BFD128.jpeg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
ardilla secreta

Stay tuned. Picked up some skate wing and the vegetable right of spring - fiddlehead ferns.
E7EA4291-99D0-41EB-B371-2FEE5FAAE0DB.jpeg
E7EA4291-99D0-41EB-B371-2FEE5FAAE0DB.jpeg (100.39 KiB) Viewed 996 times
F804145B-D770-4C6D-9CC7-D585FF8673E0.jpeg
F804145B-D770-4C6D-9CC7-D585FF8673E0.jpeg (113.55 KiB) Viewed 996 times
ardilla secreta

Finished product. Skate is only sporadically available so I grab it when I can. I always prepare a la meuniere, dusted in flower. I passed on the brown butter with capers as sauce as there was enough butter on the side dishes. Fiddlehead ferns come out in spring. I blanched in salted water then put in ice bath to stop the cooking and retain color then a quick sauté in butter for service.
AE1C70F8-7510-41AA-BC75-9F8894BCEE59.jpeg
AE1C70F8-7510-41AA-BC75-9F8894BCEE59.jpeg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 985 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 am Finished product. Skate is only sporadically available so I grab it when I can. I always prepare a la meuniere, dusted in flower. I passed on the brown butter with capers as sauce as there was enough butter on the side dishes. Fiddlehead ferns come out in spring. I blanched in salted water then put in ice bath to stop the cooking and retain color then a quick sauté in butter for service.
AE1C70F8-7510-41AA-BC75-9F8894BCEE59.jpeg
We like to call Skate, Bay Scallops. I've had it before, not a fan of the texture.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Struck gold last Thursday at my favorite fish fry joint when halibut cheeks were on the menu. It’s been almost ten years since last see in NYC. They’re most likely seen in NY, SF or Europe. Have also had cod and monkfish cheeks. Quite unique and all absolutely delicious. Dusted in flour and pan sautéed.
3A783952-9862-406F-9136-4ACF11EE22EE.jpeg
3A783952-9862-406F-9136-4ACF11EE22EE.jpeg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 934 times
58729F5F-9CD7-484C-9D26-4A7257B7A578.jpeg
58729F5F-9CD7-484C-9D26-4A7257B7A578.jpeg (129.95 KiB) Viewed 934 times
79F5BF20-00BF-41DE-BA7B-6F24AB33E5A5.jpeg
79F5BF20-00BF-41DE-BA7B-6F24AB33E5A5.jpeg (123.61 KiB) Viewed 934 times

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”