Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Laxgunea »

Covid was a real hit. Colleges just cancelled all study abroad for fall. And, last year's small class was a hit. But new president seems strong, new provost really strong, and new chair of BOT to chart the waters ahead. I've also been impressed with John Young, director of admissions. It's a time to stay steady and, as FarfromGeneva says, keep vigilant. Two years will tell the story.
Glad Raymond is sticking around. The lacrosse program is good for the campus in many ways.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

The Poole Dome is back up.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Any news on returning seniors?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I haven't heard anything.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... gold/56571

Hobart lacrosse great Jim Calder, '79, is interviewed in the article about playing for the Canadian WC team in '78 Two other Hobart HOF members played for the U.S., Dave McNaney, '77 and Rick Blick, '78. It is a shame Rick Blick isn't in the U.S. Lacrosse HoF
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Any word on the colleges plans for Fall Semester?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hard to look past 21 given last year had so much promise and this one should too with what’s returning and expected freshman class (how many kids like Durkin, Delaney and Bach can afford HWS from small towns in CNY?) but my sister (Converted) and brother in law are very active in the Jewish communities they are involved with and were psyched when I sent them this piece about a new goalie recruit, Loukas, who is from Severn and headed to Furman and now Geneva because they think everyone should make a trip to Israel. Not sure how good he may be, but we’ve got to keep rolling goalies and don’t get many from Severn or that part of the world since the Kerwick days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capita ... utType=amp
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:47 am Hard to look past 21 given last year had so much promise and this one should too with what’s returning and expected freshman class (how many kids like Durkin, Delaney and Bach can afford HWS from small towns in CNY?) but my sister (Converted) and brother in law are very active in the Jewish communities they are involved with and were psyched when I sent them this piece about a new goalie recruit, Loukas, who is from Severn and headed to Furman and now Geneva because they think everyone should make a trip to Israel. Not sure how good he may be, but we’ve got to keep rolling goalies and don’t get many from Severn or that part of the world since the Kerwick days.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.capita ... utType=amp
Style-wise he plays a lot like Jackson Brown after watching the 2019 video. Made the Greek National Team already. And certainly is used to seeing top competition.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe I made a mistake and he’s coming this year, but we will have a lot of competition between CJ White (if he sticks around for his Sr yr), Drennan (Jr), Holtby (Soph) and 1-2 FR in Andrew Vona (assume another son of Brian from LS) and Loukas. Based on last season's 1/3yr It would seem Holtby though I saw reference to Drennan maybe being injured last year? He’s listed as Soph still on 21 roster.

Like after Ped left and we were sure what we had w Mitrow, Vona, Blanchard and Shea (maybe even Driscoll at the time who had taken a couple of draws in 18-19) and it worked out, have to feel good about having so much competition to replace Sam L. East coast diverse as well w a MD, CNY, NJ, NH and MA-not that this means anything just interesting that no two are from the same state.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Any word from Geneva?
Fall plans ?
School strategy?
Anyone heard from Coach Raymond?
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

The Patriot League cancelled fall competition. I believe each college in that league will make its own determinations regarding practices or conditioning. There certainly will be no fall ball. A parent of a current player may have knowledge of what’s planned specifically. Our son almost attended this college years ago, the coach seemed great and very willing to let him tryout. However, since admissions accepted him for the spring semester instead of the fall he opted not to. We thought it may be hard coming in any college midway as a freshman. I wish now we hadn’t focused so much on that. Certainly wish this college luck in the 2021 season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They’re holding on in the face of peers dropping all over. Football schedule is half gone w E8, Keystone and Union and RPI out. Dr Jacobsen has been trying to make something work. Heard one parent of a FB player tell me they’re kid is taking a gap year.

From a lacrosse perspective there was a ton of talent coming back despite losing Holden and what appeared to be one of, if not the best class in a decade or more with 4-6 real game changers.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I have a feeling we will see a lot of gap years this coming academic year. There is just too much uncertainty and given the price tag for a college education it certainly makes the most sense.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:17 am They’re holding on in the face of peers dropping all over. Football schedule is half gone w E8, Keystone and Union and RPI out. Dr Jacobsen has been trying to make something work. Heard one parent of a FB player tell me they’re kid is taking a gap year.

From a lacrosse perspective there was a ton of talent coming back despite losing Holden and what appeared to be one of, if not the best class in a decade or more with 4-6 real game changers.
Who are their 4-6 game changers as incoming Freshmen?
Not doubting you, just curious.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well from what I’ve seen and heard Connor Durkin (JD) who was a slightly bigger clone of Archer. Chad Bach, athletic freak from Lowville (also had like 50tds last fall as QB), Former Cornell recruit Zach Delaney. Have head good things about Porter Johnson, D man from Minny as well as Nathan Greenberg a Mid from NC and Sam Ward if he can come back from a injury his Jr year who’s a 6’4” attack from Hingham.

Amongst the others there could be some great statesmen as well, just don’t know anything about them. The first three will surely make a meaningful impact. When you include that with what would be returning the depth and quality is as high as ever at the D1 level
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My comment about the incoming class shouldn’t be construed as anything against prior classes of course. The last few have been exceptional as well. There was a tough stretch after the AD tried to pull the program back down to D3 in late 2008 which you could see through TWs tenure (although IL ranked one class noting Matt Opsahl, Luke Miller and Bud Grahm, two left the latter to d3).

If I’m highlighting this class, I should note how strong some of the last few were:

2020 Srs: Holden, Mueller, Scott, Luccesi and other contributors (can’t count Delpha who came from OCC)
2021 Srs: Archer, Dan Ryan, Sherman, Mott and a host of D/LSM
2022 Srs: Knox, Madonna, Christiansen and some others who have the opportunity to step up like Simas, Mitrow, Synnott, etc
FR class had a ton of contributors.

But...very few got much recognition of course. Maybe Holden, Archer was the most nationally known at around IL 60 incoming FR. Knox was known in Canada. Maybe Mueller at JD and Mott was an AA out in Co.

Also love that we don’t really do much re transfers But have flipped a few recruits our way like Mott & Barthelme from Air Force.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Anyone know if Justin Scott, who is (or was, at some point) in the transfer portal, returning for you guys next year? Big lefty Canadian with a box background...thought he might do well in a John Grant Jr. offense. :D Scored 5 against Cornell in 2019 so I'm sure our new head coach is also quite familiar.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Have heard he was coming back but definitely not confirmed, if anyone is. Had heard 5 were coming back, basically everyone except Holden and Luccesi (who made a MLL roster) pretty much. If we have a spring season at all...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:08 pm Anyone know if Justin Scott, who is (or was, at some point) in the transfer portal, returning for you guys next year? Big lefty Canadian with a box background...thought he might do well in a John Grant Jr. offense. :D Scored 5 against Cornell in 2019 so I'm sure our new head coach is also quite familiar.
With Lipka gone that opens a spot on the 2nds at Cuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s most definitely not happening

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”