The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:03 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:02 am Meta-leverage? Doesn't sound good.

"There’s already too much money chasing too few assets and yet even the most sober investors seem ready to add to the problem.

Calpers, the $495 billion California public-employee pension fund, is planning to put more money into chasing returns by taking on debt worth up to 5% of its fund value — or roughly $25 billion — to plow into financial assets. It is doing this because it can’t see another way of hitting its long-term return target of 6.8% to meet its promised payouts.

This seems remarkable to me: A very big pension plan, which invests in lots of different funds, including many that use leverage to boost returns, is now going to start using its own leverage on top to try to boost its returns. It highlights how investors of all kinds are having to take more risk to make any money.

Calpers’s strategy may ultimately be self-defeating: The more money you throw at any asset class, the lower its yield goes and the harder it becomes for anyone to earn a good return. Yes, I know fresh assets get created — new companies, new bonds and new joke Shiba-Inu Coins, or whatever. But markets have been flooded with money to battle the fallout of the Covid pandemic, boosting prices and depressing future returns everywhere."

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nd=premium

Extra frothy?

"The other issue is that leverage in financial markets is high – and rising – and that makes things riskier and potentially unstable. Let’s just look at companies. In U.S. stock markets, the amount of borrowed money behind share prices has hit a record high. Net borrowing on margin in brokerage accounts hit $509 billion in October, according to the latest data from the U.S. Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, or Finra.

Levered Up
Net borrowing against stocks in U.S. brokerage accounts

Margin lending has grown rapidly this year, breaking new records almost every month. But stock values have risen rapidly, too, so the way to judge the importance of this borrowing is to compare it with market capitalization. Against the S&P 500, the amount of margin dollars per dollar of market capitalization is also close to record levels. It was slightly higher only during three months in the summer of 2018, and it could surpass those levels in November. "
Yeah leverage on leverage-it’s all the rage. Was talking to a guy who has a small fund recently. He only takes a turn of leverage (1:1) and gets it at Libor + 0.75%! But he buys preferred equity (hybrid non common equity but counts as “capital” while paying a coupon) in small bank holding companies-banks being leveraged 10:1-12:1 already by virtue of their business (deposits are borrowings). Funny thing is this guy worked for the treasury during TARP around being a depository banker.

This is the perverse negative feedback loop that comes with zero interest rates and not allowing business cycles to occur. Our federal reserve screwed up in summer of 2013 with what is referred to as the taper tantrum and in general by allowing so much cheap money to flood the market. So now we have an extremely leveraged world. And folks need to understand that leverage amplifies not only returns but also losses.
Or, we are running up against the limits of a system that has growth as its raison d’etre.

Is population like money supply…
Been happening for more than a decade IMO. Will be interesting to see how the generational wealth transfer from dying boomers shakes out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axios. ... 37806.html
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFD9yTsXEAA ... name=small

Despite this success, Biden's popularity ratings are low. Every day the Fox network liars and the rest of the right wing media act as if his administration is a failure like tRump's. At the same time we do not see a single word of praise from Democrats. The only ones praising him are the Republican Lincoln Project.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why crying about gas prices is dumb

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=50457
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Black Friday Rout Shows Dangers of Margin Borrowing

Small investors are piling into markets using borrowed funds after a long string of gains, but many say the practice increases risks of sharp pullbacks

By Nov. 28, 2021 7:00 am ET
Friday’s global retreat from riskier assets exposes a vulnerability of the broad market advance of the past year and a half: the rising use of leverage, or borrowed money.

Traders said the Black Friday rout, which hammered stocks and energy prices from France to India to the U.S., doesn’t necessarily presage a broader pullback unless further bad news about the new variant of Covid-19 comes to light. But the reversal underscores the fragility of the rebound from the March 2020 lows, which ranks as the fastest return to record highs following a decline of at least 20% from a previous peak.

Borrowings against portfolios of stocks and bonds, broadly called margin debt, have grown as individual investors have become major players in the stock market. So too have concerns that debt-fueled buying could be a sign of overexuberance, setting the stage for tumultuous trading periods such as Friday’s, when the Dow Industrials posted their largest-ever Black Friday decline and the U.S. oil price dropped 13%.

Investors who have borrowed heavily to fund investments in a rising market are more sensitive to such reversals, analysts and portfolio managers said. At the same time, the Covid-19 pandemic has made investors more vigilant about reducing risk whenever clear threats emerge and piling into Treasurys, which posted one of their strongest rallies during the pandemic era on Friday.

“If stocks start to stumble, investors may panic and rush to sell,” said Jason Goepfert, president of Sundial Capital Research. “There is less room for them to maneuver.”

Margin borrowings in October were up 42% from a year earlier to $935.9 billion, according to data from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Wall Street’s self-regulator. Meanwhile a measure of cash holdings among individual investors fell to 46% of margin balances, Mr. Goepfert said, the lowest reading in data going back to 1997.

Margin borrowing isn’t the only way investors take on leverage, which can accentuate gains in a rising market but magnify losses when indexes decline. Options trading, which has exploded in popularity, isn’t fully reflected in the data, nor is the debt employed by hedge funds and other institutional investors.

Investors with as little as $2,000 worth of securities in a brokerage account can usually pledge those assets to obtain a loan. Investors need to maintain a specific asset level to avoid having to put more cash into the account or risk losing pledged securities, in what is known as a margin call.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Is it wise to borrow money to invest in the stock market? Why or why not? Join the conversation below.

Though margin borrowing has risen sharply during the economic-reopening rally, that isn’t entirely surprising. The figure tends to increase during periods when stock prices rise.

Meanwhile, margin debt relative to the S&P 500’s market capitalization has crept higher but hasn’t hit extreme levels. Borrowings accounted for 2.4% of the benchmark’s value at the end of October, up from 2.1% at the start of 2020. From 2007 to 2018, the figure averaged closer to 3%.

Many investors brush off worries about investor borrowing and other longstanding market risks, such as high valuations and “crowded” trades that are prone to sudden reversals. Friday’s selloff might have been intensified by thin postholiday liquidity, which means trades that are relatively small by the standards of a typical day on Wall Street can move prices much more than they normally would.

For now, many investors say there are few signs that stock bulls have completely lost touch with reality, as has happened during previous bubble episodes.

“I’m looking around for signs of euphoric behavior,” said Aaron Smith, a 41-year-old accountant in Waco, Texas, who leverages around a quarter of his $1 million investment portfolio of mostly technology stocks. “At the country club, do they have ESPN on or CNBC? It’s ESPN right now.”

But the use of leverage by younger investors is especially concerning, the Federal Reserve said in its latest Financial Stability Report. It said younger individual investors have much higher leverage ratios, leaving them more vulnerable to margin calls and other setbacks when prices fall.

Many Americans turned to stock trading early in the Covid-19 pandemic, armed with stimulus payments and unemployment checks. Brokerages like Robinhood Markets Inc. and Charles Schwab Corp. reported millions of account openings over the past two years.

Jon Renner, a 31-year-old in Phoenix, decided to make a career of stock trading this year after giving up his work as a musician following a 2019 accident that damaged his hearing.

Starting with a few thousand dollars, Mr. Renner said he made some money on GameStop Corp.’s January surge. He then loaded up on shares and options of AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. His portfolio hit nearly $150,000 before leveling off at about $50,000, Mr. Renner said.

He said he has taken some profits, and AMC still accounts for most of his holdings. Mr. Renner said he leverages anywhere between 10% and 20% to buy more stocks and options.

With no other income other than what he makes from trading, he has little room for missteps.

“If I blow my account up, which is a possibility, it will be much more difficult to repeat what I’ve already done,” Mr. Renner said.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:52 am Black Friday Rout Shows Dangers of Margin Borrowing

Small investors are piling into markets using borrowed funds after a long string of gains, but many say the practice increases risks of sharp pullbacks

Friday’s global retreat from riskier assets exposes a vulnerability of the broad market advance of the past year and a half: the rising use of leverage, or borrowed money.

Traders said the Black Friday rout, which hammered stocks and energy prices from France to India to the U.S., doesn’t necessarily presage a broader pullback unless further bad news about the new variant of Covid-19 comes to light. But the reversal underscores the fragility of the rebound from the March 2020 lows, which ranks as the fastest return to record highs following a decline of at least 20% from a previous peak.

Borrowings against portfolios of stocks and bonds, broadly called margin debt, have grown as individual investors have become major players in the stock market. So too have concerns that debt-fueled buying could be a sign of overexuberance, setting the stage for tumultuous trading periods such as Friday’s, when the Dow Industrials posted their largest-ever Black Friday decline and the U.S. oil price dropped 13%.

Investors who have borrowed heavily to fund investments in a rising market are more sensitive to such reversals, analysts and portfolio managers said. At the same time, the Covid-19 pandemic has made investors more vigilant about reducing risk whenever clear threats emerge and piling into Treasurys, which posted one of their strongest rallies during the pandemic era on Friday.

“If stocks start to stumble, investors may panic and rush to sell,” said Jason Goepfert, president of Sundial Capital Research. “There is less room for them to maneuver.”

Margin borrowings in October were up 42% from a year earlier to $935.9 billion, according to data from the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Wall Street’s self-regulator. Meanwhile a measure of cash holdings among individual investors fell to 46% of margin balances, Mr. Goepfert said, the lowest reading in data going back to 1997.

Margin borrowing isn’t the only way investors take on leverage, which can accentuate gains in a rising market but magnify losses when indexes decline. Options trading, which has exploded in popularity, isn’t fully reflected in the data, nor is the debt employed by hedge funds and other institutional investors.

Investors with as little as $2,000 worth of securities in a brokerage account can usually pledge those assets to obtain a loan. Investors need to maintain a specific asset level to avoid having to put more cash into the account or risk losing pledged securities, in what is known as a margin call.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

Is it wise to borrow money to invest in the stock market? Why or why not? Join the conversation below.

Though margin borrowing has risen sharply during the economic-reopening rally, that isn’t entirely surprising. The figure tends to increase during periods when stock prices rise.

Meanwhile, margin debt relative to the S&P 500’s market capitalization has crept higher but hasn’t hit extreme levels. Borrowings accounted for 2.4% of the benchmark’s value at the end of October, up from 2.1% at the start of 2020. From 2007 to 2018, the figure averaged closer to 3%.

Many investors brush off worries about investor borrowing and other longstanding market risks, such as high valuations and “crowded” trades that are prone to sudden reversals. Friday’s selloff might have been intensified by thin postholiday liquidity, which means trades that are relatively small by the standards of a typical day on Wall Street can move prices much more than they normally would.

For now, many investors say there are few signs that stock bulls have completely lost touch with reality, as has happened during previous bubble episodes.

“I’m looking around for signs of euphoric behavior,” said Aaron Smith, a 41-year-old accountant in Waco, Texas, who leverages around a quarter of his $1 million investment portfolio of mostly technology stocks. “At the country club, do they have ESPN on or CNBC? It’s ESPN right now.”

But the use of leverage by younger investors is especially concerning, the Federal Reserve said in its latest Financial Stability Report. It said younger individual investors have much higher leverage ratios, leaving them more vulnerable to margin calls and other setbacks when prices fall.

Many Americans turned to stock trading early in the Covid-19 pandemic, armed with stimulus payments and unemployment checks. Brokerages like Robinhood Markets Inc. and Charles Schwab Corp. reported millions of account openings over the past two years.

Jon Renner, a 31-year-old in Phoenix, decided to make a career of stock trading this year after giving up his work as a musician following a 2019 accident that damaged his hearing.

Starting with a few thousand dollars, Mr. Renner said he made some money on GameStop Corp.’s January surge. He then loaded up on shares and options of AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. His portfolio hit nearly $150,000 before leveling off at about $50,000, Mr. Renner said.

He said he has taken some profits, and AMC still accounts for most of his holdings. Mr. Renner said he leverages anywhere between 10% and 20% to buy more stocks and options.

With no other income other than what he makes from trading, he has little room for missteps.

“If I blow my account up, which is a possibility, it will be much more difficult to repeat what I’ve already done,” Mr. Renner said.
When the margin calls…

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:52 am Black Friday Rout Shows Dangers of Margin Borrowing

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

When the margin calls…

It’ll go down like a Led F*%#ing Zeppelin!

Not a horrible movie on the crisis, of the ones I’ve seen it’s the closest to reality.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_Call

I should add that liquidity was garbage on Fridays trading.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The amount of money in carry trades has bothered me for a while.

Falling Dollar Shows Resurgence of Infamous Carry Trade

Hedge funds and others borrowed heavily in Japanese yen, sparking big currency moves after the Omicron coronavirus variant emerged

By Nov. 30, 2021 5:31 am ET
Daily percentage change in dollar-yen currency pair

A surprise fall in the dollar dented a popular currency trade notorious in past decades for wiping out hedge funds and fueling broad market selloffs.

Investors say hedge funds and other players accumulated massive bets known as carry trades in recent months. These investments involve borrowing currencies with ultralow interest rates, especially the Japanese yen and to a lesser extent the euro, and plowing the money into currencies where many expect rates to rise, such as the dollar.

Those bets partially unwound when the latest coronavirus variant hit markets on Friday. The yen surged nearly 2% against the dollar on Friday, its biggest jump since the worst of the Covid-19 panic in March 2020. The euro and the British pound also rose sharply against the dollar. That runs counter to the usual playbook when markets sell off broadly and investors shelter in the safety of the U.S. dollar.

Some of the dollar’s decline partially reversed on Monday after investors digested more details about the impact of the variant, but resumed Tuesday. The extreme moves underscored how big bets built up over the long stretch of placid markets can unleash damage.

“This acceleration was about positions coming off,” said Kit Juckes, an FX strategist at Société Générale. He said for those who had just joined the trade, “the last jumpers will have been caught out.”

Earlier in the month, the yen-dollar carry trade looked to be the most crowded since before the pandemic. Net short positioning of the yen was the heaviest since January 2019, according to data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. The WSJ Dollar Index hit a 15-month high on Nov. 24.

Several large hedge funds that target changes in macroeconomic trends had sizable dollar-yen positions recently. These included Moore Capital, Brevan Howard and Tudor Investment Corp., founded by famed investor Paul Tudor Jones, according to a person familiar with the matter. These funds typically use a lot of leverage to try to magnify returns, the person said.

Spokespeople for each of the hedge funds declined to comment.

The yen carry trade was extremely popular in the 1990s. The Bank of Japan had set some of the lowest interest rates in the world to try to stimulate its stagnating economy. Fund managers seized the opportunity to borrow billions of yen at rock-bottom rates and invest them in stocks and high-yield bonds in other currencies.

Why the New Coronavirus Variant Triggered Selloffs in Bitcoin and Stocks
After scientists identified a new variant of the virus causing Covid-19, countries restricted travel to and from southern Africa. WSJ’s Anna Hirtenstein explains that investors have turned to bonds and gold as they prepare for more potential disruption. Photo: Sumaya Hisham/Reuters
“There was a huge industry of people doing this in the early days of hedge funds,” said John Thomas, a former hedge-fund manager. “You were borrowing at zero, leveraged five times and getting 100% returns.”

The trade infamously blew up several times. In 1998, hedge fund Tiger Management lost nearly $2 billion in a single trading session, mainly because the yen appreciated rapidly against the dollar.

The same year, Long-Term Capital Management, another hedge fund, nearly toppled Wall Street and needed to be bailed out after it lost billions on a series of highly leveraged trades. The losses were exacerbated by a rise in the yen.

The unwinding of massive yen carry trades in 2008 added fuel to the market crash started by the collapse of the U.S. housing market. It led to a nearly 20% rise in the yen against the dollar that year, and caused higher-yielding currencies such as the Australian dollar and Brazilian real to plunge.

Investors have been drawn back to carry trades this year thanks to extremely low volatility in currency markets. And up until last week, it was a trade that paid off. The dollar had slowly appreciated 11% against the yen since the beginning of the year, the most of any developed-markets currency pair. A big driver had been an expected divergence of central-bank policies on interest rates.

The Federal Reserve began tapering bond purchases earlier this month and signaled that it plans to raise rates in the near future as inflation surged. In contrast, the Bank of Japan was predicted to remain on its long-running path of loose monetary policy.

“In this age of ultralow rates and easy money, there hasn’t been a lot of opportunity to make money in FX markets. This was changing,” said Gregory Perdon, chief investment officer at Arbuthnot Latham, a private bank. He bet the British pound would strengthen against the yen after the Bank of England signaled it would raise rates.

The Omicron news upended investor views about how quickly the Fed and the Bank of England would move to fight inflation.

“Before the news, the yen was at its highest all year and the Fed was getting more hawkish. All of this was positive for dollar-yen,” said Edouard de Langlade, founder of Swiss hedge fund EDL Capital. “This variant could be a game-changer. But it could also not be, we don’t know yet.”

Mr. de Langlade still has a carry trade position, but has reduced it.

Write to Anna Hirtenstein at [email protected]
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 am The amount of money in carry trades has bothered me for a while.
Isn't that what the wealthy top percenters do all the time.

I am by no means anywhere near your competence level with econ, but isn't the very issue that the market is saturated with cash and the only place left to spend it is under/low valued stocks....so borrowing at a lower interest rate to purchase more, with a ~certainty of ROI is logical or considered a wise move? Or should I just shut up and watch the pros do their thing?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:11 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 am The amount of money in carry trades has bothered me for a while.

I am by no means anywhere near your competence level with econ, but isn't the very issue that the market is saturated with cash and the only place left to spend it is under/low valued stocks....so borrowing at a lower interest rate to purchase more, with a ~certainty of ROI is logical or considered a wise move? Or should I just shut up and watch the pros do their thing?
Shut up and listen to the pro! :)

No, seriously it’s truly musical chairs. The last guy out the door gets crushed. One can do it but if you miss what can be a short window you can take a total L. Have to consider carrying costs as well but if you can dedicate the time and focus to doing it and staying educated around all facets then it’s fine. But I’m talking more macro, when you have tens of billions of dollars running for the door at the same time the unwind can trigger nasty side affects. Correlation issue. It’s a consequence of sovereign entities tooling around with monetary policy too much.

But here’s the risk. I borrow $100 against $1 to earn a net $3. So next year I have $4 in equity. But if I don’t have the wherewithal to handle a 5% decline in the value of what I hold and secures that $99 I borrowed I’m out. Then I’m chilling like this hoping Eddie Murphy drops some duckets on me on the street to impress Lisa McDowell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GLVc4f02k
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This piece was written by a turnaround/restructuring
consultant

Is Q4 2021 Activity Foreshadowing a Change?
November 29, 2021

By Juanita Schwartzkopf

Print This Page

As 2021 is drawing to a close, lenders and borrowers are asking what to expect in 2022. In March of 2020, when the first Covid-19 lockdowns began, there was a great deal of fear and uncertainty, both for individuals and for businesses. As the government pumped liquidity into the market, many businesses used those resources to survive through the period.

Now in late 2021, as the liquidity sources have expired, and businesses must generate cash flow based on their performance, the level of performance stress is increasing. Not only has the “free money” been used, but now businesses are dealing with inflation, commodity price changes, labor issues and supply chain disruption as stresses to their financial performance.

During the past two months, the number of businesses we are seeing with working capital issues has increased. In most cases, these are businesses that qualified for PPP loans and forgiveness or ERC grants, and used those funds to survive but not to evolve. Companies that used the access to liquidity to reimagine themselves, their products, their customers, or their working capital management are in most cases surviving and thriving. But companies that continued to operate in a business as usual manner are likely finding themselves stressed and at a performance crossroad.

The reasons for performance changes

For consumers of financial statements, it is critical to look at 2019 performance compared to 2021 performance, and to clearly identify the reasons for performance changes. The excuses of Covid-19, inflation, labor shortages, commodity price changes, and supply chain may be real explanations for performance changes, but management of a business cannot rely on the excuse. Management must plan for and work through the issues. Lenders should not accept these excuses either, but rather require specific explanations of amounts and reasons for performance changes. For example, rather than say “performance was bad because of labor shortages”, management should be able to say something like this:

Performance in September was impacted by labor shortages. The company operated with 50 fewer people on average than the same time the year before (or 2019) and was were no longer able to maintain a second shift. This impacted our ability to produce product by $x.x, and our ability to generate sales of $y.y, assuming the current margin of Z%.

This type of detailed analysis is what a successful company produces and uses to evaluate next steps.

Is senior management up to the task?

The level of inflation, commodity price changes, labor issues and supply chain issues is unprecedented. For each one of these trends alone the level of impact is something not experienced in 10 to 25 years. As a result, most managers have not dealt with these problems during their work careers, or their management careers.

Combining all these trends at the same time is even more problematic. The level of uncertainty and the amount of analysis and preparation required would stress most people, and requires a leader who is able to calm the management team while directing them to evaluate performance options.

Senior management for many middle market companies comes from the division leaders at larger companies. These senior managers typically had the support of a financially strong parent company who could support unexpected cash needs, and the senior managers may not be used to dealing with not being able to meet expenses such as payroll or vendor payments as those payments come due. These senior managers may also have had the support of a robust accounting and finance team that would prepare the detailed analysis for review, as opposed to having to anticipate the analysis needed and then direct an accounting staff to prepare the analysis.

Next steps

Looking toward 2022 requires a creative, analytical leadership team who will be able to identify options and the related impact on financial performance and working capital management. Because of the complexity of the problems confronting businesses today, the company and its stake holders will need to be calm and fast as solutions are evaluated and implemented. This year and the next will be a true test of management skills for a generation of managers.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:32 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:11 am

Shut up and listen to the pro! :)

No, seriously it’s truly musical chairs. The last guy out the door gets crushed. One can do it but if you miss what can be a short window you can take a total L. Have to consider carrying costs as well but if you can dedicate the time and focus to doing it and staying educated around all facets then it’s fine. But I’m talking more macro, when you have tens of billions of dollars running for the door at the same time the unwind can trigger nasty side affects. Correlation issue. It’s a consequence of sovereign entities tooling around with monetary policy too much.

But here’s the risk. I borrow $100 against $1 to earn a net $3. So next year I have $4 in equity. But if I don’t have the wherewithal to handle a 5% decline in the value of what I hold and secures that $99 I borrowed I’m out. Then I’m chilling like this hoping Eddie Murphy drops some duckets on me on the street to impress Lisa McDowell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GLVc4f02k
Only this round they’re not going to take just one chair…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkf ... urrencies/

DECEMBER 1, 2021
Why Central Bank Digital Currencies?
Raphael Auer, Jon Frost, Michael Lee, Antoine Martin, and Neha Narula

In the past year, a number of central banks have stepped up work on central bank digital currencies (CBDCs – see map). For central banks, are CBDCs just a defensive reaction to private-sector innovations in money, or are they an opportunity for the monetary system? In this post, we consider several long-standing goals of central banks in their support and provision of retail payments, why and how central banks tackle these issues, and where CBDCs fit into the array of potential solutions.

CBDC Research and Pilot Projects around the World

Source: R. Auer, G. Cornell, and J. Frost (2020), “Rise of the Central Bank Digital Currencies: Drivers, Approaches, and Technologies,” BIS Working Papers, no. 880, August. Map updated as of November 2021.

Notes: BS = Bahamas; ECCB = Eastern Caribbean Central Bank; HK = Hong Kong SAR; JM = Jamaica; SG = Singapore. The use of this map does not constitute, and should not be construed as constituting, an expression of a position by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, or the Federal Reserve System regarding the legal status or sovereignty of any territory or its authorities; the delimitation of international frontiers and boundaries; and/or the name and designation of any territory, city, or area.
Some Key Policy Considerations in Retail Payments

Central banks have long endeavored to support safe, low-cost, and inclusive payments, to protect privacy, and to promote innovation. Why do these goals matter?

Payment costs. It costs money to pay money. Costs of payments have generally fallen over time, but surprisingly, not by much – credit card networks still routinely charge merchants service fees of 3 percent, and card revenues make up over 1 percent of GDP in the United States and much of Latin America. High transaction costs can attenuate economic activity and commerce.
Financial inclusion. Universal access to payment services is a long-standing policy goal, and central banks and other international authorities have studied this issue for many years. Inclusion is a major societal concern in both developing economies and in some developed economies with a large unbanked population (the United States and the Euro area, for example). Given the growth of e-commerce, there is a greater need for easy and convenient access to safe, digital payments as an alternative to cash.
Consumer privacy. Consistent with the increasing digitization of economic activity, digital payment adoption has accelerated. Digital payments, including bank accounts, payment cards, and digital wallets, create a data trail. Consumers’ private information is aggregated and distributed for monetization. Recent research suggests that there are public good aspects to privacy; individuals may share too much data, as they do not bear the full cost of failing to protect their privacy when choosing their payment instrument. That is why the structural increase in digital payments since the COVID-19 pandemic may have negative side effects.
Promoting innovation. New, more convenient and secure payment methods not only benefit consumers but can also spur innovative business opportunities. New technologies also offer an opportunity to potentially automate certain financial practices through “smart contracts,” improving efficiency.
What Is the Case for Central Bank Involvement in These Issues?

Payment costs. Central bank intervention may be desirable if high payment costs stem from lack of competition. Traditionally, payment services are powered by banks, which can access digital central bank money in the form of reserves. If, in fact, limited access to digital central bank money contributes to limited competition, central banks could consider changing their policies to improve market functioning.
Financial inclusion. Will the private sector provide payment arrangements that include unbanked populations? Private payment methods often do not cater to the unbanked. For example, one survey finds that in most economies, fintech payment services are more widely adopted by those already using traditional financial institutions for similar services. A central bank may take a proactive approach to improving financial inclusion if the private sector, left alone, fails to offer universal access.
Consumer privacy. Central banks provide physical cash, which by its nature offers privacy to consumers. Physical cash does not currently have a digital substitute that is also low-cost and accessible. This may well reflect the fact that private sector retail payments innovations are profit-driven (for example, earning revenues through acquiring data or transaction fees). As a non-commercial party, central banks have no incentive to gather transaction data and, thus, may be better able to internalize the social gains from facilitating privacy.
Promoting innovation. Central banks support safe and efficient financial services and ensure that payment systems improve over time. Certain smart contract functionalities might benefit from implementation inside the central bank’s settlement and payment systems. For example, a central bank is in a unique position to provide coherence guarantees for smart contracts, much as they already do for commercial bank money.
How Might Central Banks Achieve These Goals?

Central banks could support these goals in different ways. First, a central bank—in conjunction with other relevant authorities—could adjust the current regulatory framework to better enable solutions to emerge from the private sector. For example, the public sector could take actions to improve competition and efficiency in payment services (which lie squarely in the mandate of many central banks) to counteract the high cost of payments. They could also broaden access to digital central bank money, letting new entrants build payment services on their credit-risk-free payment infrastructure. These actions would require policy makers and legislators to adapt current laws and regulation.

Second, the public sector could improve the existing payment system. For example, in the United States, FedNow will support faster payments for retail use by providing financial institutions with a 24/7 instant payment system, allowing banks to provide safe and efficient payment services to their customers. FedNow could also spur innovation and bring down transaction costs associated with retail payments, and so make banking services more accessible to low-income users. However, since FedNow would require consumers to have access to commercial bank accounts, it would not necessarily help promote financial inclusion for unbanked consumers.

Third, central banks could issue a retail CBDC. This would grant direct access to digital central bank money to consumers and provide a means to transact and settle payments with central bank money. Many central banks are considering designs in which they run the system, but competing private sector providers offer retail CBDC services, such as wallets. Central banks are also considering methods for offline payments, dedicated devices and other approaches for CBDCs to meet the needs of the unbanked, and models to promote cross-border payments.

Issuing a CBDC would constitute a significant step for a central bank, since that may require a completely new payment infrastructure, possibly using new technologies. In contrast, the other approaches are more familiar to central banks as they represent incremental improvements in the regulatory framework and technical features of payment systems. However, by not issuing a CBDC, some central banks may eventually relinquish their roles in providing central bank money to the public and leave digital payments entirely to the private sector.

What are the unique merits of issuing a CBDC relative to the more standard solutions? Regarding privacy, central banks may fill the vacuum of low-cost privacy-preserving electronic payments by issuing a CBDC, which could benefit consumers by allowing them to monetize privacy. A CBDC may also be desirable if the technical design of the legacy system impedes innovation. Relative to the legacy system, a CBDC could help standardize and enable new features such as programmability (smart contracts) and fractionalisation (for machine-to-machine micropayments, for example).

Are CBDCs the Right Answer?

While it is too early to tell whether CBDCs are the solution for all the challenges facing payment systems, they should be considered a potential solution. Because CBDCs are new and a range of approaches to implementation are being tried, central banks can learn more about the costs and benefits of CBDCs, relative to other approaches, by engaging in research and development. Answering these questions and uncovering new challenges would require a central bank to go far down the path of implementing a CBDC, whether that CBDC is ultimately adopted or not.

Raphael Auer is a principal economist for innovation and the digital economy at the Bank for International Settlements.

Jon Frost is a senior economist at the Bank for International Settlements.

Michael Lee is an economist in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s Research and Statistics Group.

Antoine Martin is a senior vice president in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York’s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Had coffee w a FinTech lending exec today and heard that one major bank is getting nervous about this consumer point of sale lending (BNPL). Guys are taking out 5-7 loans to purchase and none of it hits credit reporting. Then you have this story below. It’s possible cracks in the facade are occurring.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalp ... -reporting
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:47 pm Had coffee w a FinTech lending exec today and heard that one major bank is getting nervous about this consumer point of sale lending (BNPL). Guys are taking out 5-7 loans to purchase and none of it hits credit reporting. Then you have this story below. It’s possible cracks in the facade are occurring.

What goes up, must come down. Amazing how this lesson needs to be relearned periodically.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:47 pm Had coffee w a FinTech lending exec today and heard that one major bank is getting nervous about this consumer point of sale lending (BNPL). Guys are taking out 5-7 loans to purchase and none of it hits credit reporting. Then you have this story below. It’s possible cracks in the facade are occurring.

What goes up, must come down. Amazing how this lesson needs to be relearned periodically.
The federal reserve has been trying hard to disprove that axiom for more than a decade now. What’s a little physics among political creatures?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Notes in the Holmes case she wrote but claims was forced too by the creepy boyfriend

https://files.cand.uscourts.gov/files/1 ... 58ebbc3361
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 am Notes in the Holmes case she wrote but claims was forced too by the creepy boyfriend

When I saw her on 60 minutes, I hugged my wife even tighter.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:19 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 am Notes in the Holmes case she wrote but claims was forced too by the creepy boyfriend

You know about her new boyfriend? Heir to a hotel fortune (1 generations back) and like 10-15yrs younger than she is. Got herself pregnant from hooking up with him at Burning Man or Coachella and covered herself nicely. Who do you think is paying her attorneys now. Straight con artist.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:24 am

You know about her new boyfriend? Heir to a hotel fortune (1 generations back) and like 10-15yrs younger than she is. Got herself pregnant from hooking up with him at Burning Man or Coachella and covered herself nicely. Who do you think is paying her attorneys now. Straight con artist.
Nope....now nothing about boyfriend. Agreed on the con artist....likely NPD to the max.
~Livy

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:24 am

Well, not everyone can be honest and self-reliant like say Martha Stewart. Got caught, did her time, and still kicking a$$.

“I do what I please and I do it with ease.” —MS

All humans are political beings and play the hand they’re dealt. Don’t like women manipulating paternalism, then get rid of it.

Return to “POLITICS”