Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by nyjay »

Hopfan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:56 pm Another recruit to look forward to next year is Chuck Rawson, another Canadian middie from Lawrenceville like English. Rawson, Jewell and Iler are around the same size as English, small, quick middies with good sticks who can score in tight.
Also like English’s younger brother Sawyer, who someone mentioned, Rawson’s brother Ted is another soph playing varsity for L’ville. With Kilrain and Rawson coming next year and LSM Tyler Eye (great stick/gbs like Mazzone/Bocklet) in 2025 (and possibly ssdm Lumpris if he doesn’t switch to football) Milliman continues to tap that Lawrenceville pipeline.
I'm curious to see what happens with the 25 class in September. Inclined to think we start seeing more consensus top ranked kids in this classes given that the team's success this year and generally happier vibes around the program. Also curious about transfers - not sure I really want all that many, but there's a lot of talent in the portal and I think you have to play that game if you're going to keep up. Success breeds success.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:20 pm
lilax wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:48 pm Verdi (Chaminade Goalie) has been very good this year. He is a bigger kid with quick hands. Chaminade has always produced very good goalies (i.e Liam Entenmann ND's goalie). I don't think he is at Entenmann's level, but Verdi will be a good one. I felt he was the difference in Chaminade beating Manhasset this weekend.

Milliman M.O at Cornell was having an eye for less recruited talent. It is starting to show that he is doing it at Hopkins.
Foy's comment this morning on English was that "(english) fits (millimans recruiting from cornell) because (milliman) doesn't care about size in his recruits".
They were also complaining about the Band on that podcast. Philistines.
As Quint would say "If you don't want to hear the band play, don't let 'em score."
Foy more than walks his talk-he goes to the games, is highly invested in the Milliman story. He's never going to be an ace columnist, schefter scoop breaker, or longform rockstar, but he's highly invested in the sport and people he covers and I'm sure long ago and today he could drop what he's doing and make a lot more money like Jiloty did in pr or covering another sport like Eamon did in tv.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:42 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:20 pm
lilax wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:48 pm Verdi (Chaminade Goalie) has been very good this year. He is a bigger kid with quick hands. Chaminade has always produced very good goalies (i.e Liam Entenmann ND's goalie). I don't think he is at Entenmann's level, but Verdi will be a good one. I felt he was the difference in Chaminade beating Manhasset this weekend.

Milliman M.O at Cornell was having an eye for less recruited talent. It is starting to show that he is doing it at Hopkins.
Foy's comment this morning on English was that "(english) fits (millimans recruiting from cornell) because (milliman) doesn't care about size in his recruits".
They were also complaining about the Band on that podcast. Philistines.
As Quint would say "If you don't want to hear the band play, don't let 'em score."
Foy more than walks his talk-he goes to the games, is highly invested in the Milliman story. He's never going to be an ace columnist, schefter scoop breaker, or longform rockstar, but he's highly invested in the sport and people he covers and I'm sure long ago and today he could drop what he's doing and make a lot more money like Jiloty did in pr or covering another sport like Eamon did in tv.
Foy is a content creator looking for clicks. That’s all.

Though I’m not a fan, in the spirit of fairness, two things. One, covering college lacrosse recruiting is an impossible task. There are kids all over the country capable of playing D1 lacrosse. Without a budget, hitting the club circuit is the only recourse, and that’s a poor substitute for the college game. Especially to gauge the qualities that would make a recruit a good D1 player. Which brings me to the second point. Foy is correct, to an extent, in his “size doesn’t matter” statement. With the growth of the game, fewer and fewer kids can get by solely on size and athleticism. You need to have the size and athletic ability to survive, but what really matters now is being able to process and execute the game at speed. That’s what you see in a guy like English, and given the recruits coming in, I suspect that’s what Milliman is looking for.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

He goes onto campuses-at least Hopkins and makes a sincere effort. Go back and look at his fallball thing and most of it was right on at least with Hopkins. His pal osello hates Hopkins, but foy by and large does his best as Jiloty and Shannon and others did.

After this season, he and the other lax big js have to reevaluate their coverage because they clearly missed on the big ten. No one expects them to get to all those schools-especially the ones far away but they need to switch up their coverage because just stacking last years teams who did well at the top and then adding or subtracting based on some transfers or new recruits clearly won't cut it if they want to continue to have people respect their offseason, preseason and even inseason coverage.

Says a lot about this season's success that we haven't really had anyone here really banging the table for the kids "that were lost in the transition" other than really Murphy or Schellenberger and maybe a few others. But it hasn't been a daily or even weekly "PM lost that kid who would otherwise have been here and that's why we lost this week".
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

shellenberger wasn't involved in any hopkins transition.

your consistent desire to get better pre-season prognostications from beat writers on b1g lacrosse is astonishing in its minutiae.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:36 am shellenberger wasn't involved in any hopkins transition.

your consistent desire to get better pre-season prognostications from beat writers on b1g lacrosse is astonishing in its minutiae.

:lol:

He ought to just go do it himself. Though I think his Hopkins bias might be a bit overwrought.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:36 am your consistent desire to get better pre-season prognostications from beat writers on b1g lacrosse is astonishing in its minutiae.
"Astonishing in its minutiae" is going on his headstone.
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:31 am Go back and look at his fallball thing and most of it was right on at least with Hopkins.
Really? Because I distinctly remember him saying that on paper he couldn't make the case that the Jays would be better than last year and then proceeded to rank them outside his preseason top 20. Totally nailed it bro!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:36 am shellenberger wasn't involved in any hopkins transition.

+1 ^5 100% whatever else I can add in support.
I laid out the Shellenberger timeline a while back - let's recap - Tiffany hired in June of 2016 - Shellenberger decommits and commits in October 2016 - doesn't get any more simple than that.

Foy - IMO - as I also posted before - got the Hopkins narrative completely wrong. First, there was an IF in terms of whether Hopkins would be better. Second he said you can't really think Hopkins is going to have more talent. Then after being proven wrong - he doubled down and said he nailed it with his "intangibles" when the fact of the matter is - Mazzone/Melendez/Collison increased the talent pool significantly. And while Hopkins has suffered alot of short term injuries that required line-up shuffling they have been fortunate in there have been few season enders and you haven't lost a Grimes/Peshko/McDermott for months or have their performance significantly compromised.

As primitive pointed out - the infrastructure around a niche sport in lacrosse for media/recruiting coverage is simply not there. The IL boys and the others out in the wilderness are to be applauded in some ways for keeping the torch lit.

Can someone please tell me if and when the Murphy narrative gets dropped? Is there any sunset? He can be at Maryland for 2 more years - that's a long time to listen to this horse>>>>
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Don't forget Evan Zinn.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
viper

Post by viper »

All the talk about "those who were lost with the PM transition" is really quite amusing. With all due respect to coach P, there were quite a few big time players that came through the doors at Homewood between 2008 and his final year and the results (more often than not) were below expectation. Perhaps there were valid reasons for the shortfalls (early recruiting, injury, style of play) along the way, but the program was trending downward and there comes a point when change is the ultimate solution.

I don't think it's valid to say this would be a better TEAM with Zinn, Murphy, the Petro twins and Sunderland (et al) and the old coaching staff. At least based on all those years of top recruiting classes and first round tournament blowout losses.

Rather than worry about that, I am just sitting back and enjoying the climb back to relevance that is the current reality.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

viper wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:39 am All the talk about "those who were lost with the PM transition" is really quite amusing. With all due respect to coach P, there were quite a few big time players that came through the doors at Homewood between 2008 and his final year and the results (more often than not) were below expectation. Perhaps there were valid reasons for the shortfalls (early recruiting, injury, style of play) along the way, but the program was trending downward and there comes a point when change is the ultimate solution.
Yup. It was time to move on. Unfortunate but true. One other point on the transition - if Petro had been retained, the friction between him and the admin as a result of the Covid stuff would have been off the charts. Reading between the lines of what PM has said, I get the sense the the covid years were just completely miserable at JHU. I tend to think that would have made Petro's head explode.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

With this team about to play for the right to go to a Final Four it seems silly to be discussing Petro and these players no longer on the roster (and some that never were) except in the sense that Petro recruited many of the players that really are on the roster and that's his last gift to Hopkins lacrosse. One would think he must have very mixed feelings. It is also a fact that for every one of the names recently mentioned - there are vastly different competing narratives about what happened or what would have happened so debating it is just noise - no one is going to be changed one way or the other.

So unless we can dig up an extra year of eligibility for Dave and have him shut down Pat Kavanaugh - best left alone
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:43 pm So unless we can dig up an extra year of eligibility for Dave and have him shut down Pat Kavanaugh - best left alone
Dave might have a hard time staying out of the box given the evolution of the rules over the last 30 years.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yeah can't believe that's even still a topic. They did what they needed to do to change the culture and they've done it. Win or lose on Sunday, the culture has changed for the better. If people are still crying about those decisions then it's clear they have an agenda that trumps their desire for the program to succeed. If what you really wanted was to see the Jays return to prominence then you should be happy with how things turned out.

Back to lacrosse — forgot who mentioned this but I was watching Sunday's highlights and Quint did indeed say that Angelus will be back next year. I think flalax brought it up awhile ago but there's some further confirmation.

PS, Mazzone's stat line so far: 2G, 2A, 73 GBs, 18 CTs. You'd have to go back 15 years to Matt Bocklet to get anything like that.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It would have seemed a bit odd to continually track the offensive numbers "returning" in the game notes and only subtracting Degnon's numbers if you didn't have a good inkling that someone contributing essentially 60 points or more was returning. Hopefully we will get fairly quick word with respect to Szuluk/Jaronski amd Hawley when the season ends.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

IL's AA list is out - not much love for the Jays. I guess it takes a couple of good years for to change image/popularity. Guess it also doesn't help how deep this team is.

Mazzone - 3rd team
Martin - HM
Smith - HM
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 am IL's AA list is out - not much love for the Jays. I guess it takes a couple of good years for to change image/popularity. Guess it also doesn't help how deep this team is.

Mazzone - 3rd team
Martin - HM
Smith - HM
Mazzone had a better year than every one of the 2nd team defensemen and one of the 1st teamers. Yikes.

Smith and Martin as HMs are fine. No real complaints there.

Sucks that votes were tallied before last weekend otherwise Melendez and/or Angelus probably would have got some HM love. Angelus certainly belongs on there if the HM Duke and Army attackmen are.

Oh well. We move on. More important things this weekend.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Are you going?

“JHU Men's LAX NCAA Quarterfinals vs. Notre Dame - Pre-Game Tailgate
May 21, 2023 | 11:00AM - 2:00PM ET

Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
Annapolis, MD 21401

Join fellow alumni and friends for a pre-game tailgate, ahead of the Blue Jay's NCAA Tournament quarterfinals matchup against the Irish of Notre Dame! Guests will enjoy a full tailgate spread with unlimited food and beverage. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to gather with your fellow Blue Jays as we cheer them on to victory.”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:58 pm Are you going?

“JHU Men's LAX NCAA Quarterfinals vs. Notre Dame - Pre-Game Tailgate
May 21, 2023 | 11:00AM - 2:00PM ET

Navy Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
Annapolis, MD 21401

Join fellow alumni and friends for a pre-game tailgate, ahead of the Blue Jay's NCAA Tournament quarterfinals matchup against the Irish of Notre Dame! Guests will enjoy a full tailgate spread with unlimited food and beverage. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to gather with your fellow Blue Jays as we cheer them on to victory.”
https://events.jhu.edu/form/menslaxncaaquarterfinals

Just $10 a person. Great deal.

What kind of food do they typically serve at these things?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I’m not expecting the unlimited 🦀 cakes served at the alumni gathering last month. Probably burgers, dogs and ☘️ coffee.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”