Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am If Hopkins is able to beat Maryland, does the crab trophy change hands or is it only for regular season?
Regular season only
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:23 am OCanada wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 5:26 am
Baskin and Zinn’s productivity was a direct result of their coaches. They go to two different coaches and bingo slomg with Murphy become productive players
Absolutely everything about these two sentence is wrong. Every word. Incredible.
1000% agree with '16 here. Prior coaches had Baskin for 2.5 years and Zinn for 1.5. Baskin had 23 goals and 5 assists for Petro - averaging about 9 per season and 2 assists per season - in the '21 season he had 7 goals and 2 assists for a new coach/system and extremely limited practice time compared to the prior coaching staff. Where's the diff? Perhaps we should have hired the Villanova coach then if he's such a wizard with talent.
If Zinn wasn't a Hopkins transfer - no one would pay him a bit of attention - he had more ground balls for Petro in '19 and Milliman in '21 than he does for UVA. But in '20 he managed to pick up 0 ground balls for the prior staff. His shooting percentage was 18/14/and 19 - he hasn't scored more than 6 goals in a year. If anything Milliman gave him the SSDM traning that he is now exploiting at UVA.
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Whst seems to never get mentioned is the lost recruits who should be included in discussions of lost talent.
Who - please name them - please tell me every recruit that would have come to Hopkins if Milliman had not been hired. That shouldn't be one of your state secrets. And BTW - it gets mentioned plenty
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Add Navy who we had not lost to in 50 tears and DE who we had never lost to before.

Hadn't lost to Navy at Hopkins since the 70's - Petro broke the 35 year (or whatever it was) streak over Navy in total - did you bring it up then?
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am MD was the worst game i have ever seen Hopkins play. Senior Day was a disgrace as was the Hopkins 100s breakfast.

Looking at preliminary recruiting results i find myself wondering which top teams we are overtaking in talent.
Again, please provide your in depth recruiting analysis and who we should have obtained commitments from where Milliman dropped the ball - I would be captivated

This Hopkins 100 breakfast really sticks in your craw apparently. Senior Day was a mistake - People/institutions make alot of them. Here's a big one your guy made - recruiting 8th and 9th graders like he needed to open up a few more We Works offices. I go back to my question a week or so ago - if Hopkins did the unthinkable tonight and somehow got the job done - would you be happy? Doesn't sound like it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:18 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:41 am If Hopkins is able to beat Maryland, does the crab trophy change hands or is it only for regular season?
Regular season only
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:23 am OCanada wrote: ↑Thu May 05, 2022 5:26 am
Baskin and Zinn’s productivity was a direct result of their coaches. They go to two different coaches and bingo slomg with Murphy become productive players
Absolutely everything about these two sentence is wrong. Every word. Incredible.
1000% agree with '16 here. Prior coaches had Baskin for 2.5 years and Zinn for 1.5. Baskin had 23 goals and 5 assists for Petro - averaging about 9 per season and 2 assists per season - in the '21 season he had 7 goals and 2 assists for a new coach/system and extremely limited practice time compared to the prior coaching staff. Where's the diff? Perhaps we should have hired the Villanova coach then if he's such a wizard with talent.
If Zinn wasn't a Hopkins transfer - no one would pay him a bit of attention - he had more ground balls for Petro in '19 and Milliman in '21 than he does for UVA. But in '20 he managed to pick up 0 ground balls for the prior staff. His shooting percentage was 18/14/and 19 - he hasn't scored more than 6 goals in a year. If anything Milliman gave him the SSDM traning that he is now exploiting at UVA.
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Whst seems to never get mentioned is the lost recruits who should be included in discussions of lost talent.
Who - please name them - please tell me every recruit that would have come to Hopkins if Milliman had not been hired. That shouldn't be one of your state secrets. And BTW - it gets mentioned plenty
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am Add Navy who we had not lost to in 50 tears and DE who we had never lost to before.

Hadn't lost to Navy at Hopkins since the 70's - Petro broke the 35 year (or whatever it was) streak over Navy in total - did you bring it up then?
OCanada wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:26 am MD was the worst game i have ever seen Hopkins play. Senior Day was a disgrace as was the Hopkins 100s breakfast.

Looking at preliminary recruiting results i find myself wondering which top teams we are overtaking in talent.
Again, please provide your in depth recruiting analysis and who we should have obtained commitments from where Milliman dropped the ball - I would be captivated

This Hopkins 100 breakfast really sticks in your craw apparently. Senior Day was a mistake - People/institutions make alot of them. Here's a big one your guy made - recruiting 8th and 9th graders like he needed to open up a few more We Works offices. I go back to my question a week or so ago - if Hopkins did the unthinkable tonight and somehow got the job done - would you be happy? Doesn't sound like it.
You're looking at a roster full of Petros elite recruits, only w/different coaching and similar results.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

In the FWIW category, Brown's senior day celebration followed its game with Dartmouth. I actually think holding the recognition ceremonies post-game makes sense. I always felt it was an advantage to the visting team to have the seniors and home team distracted pre-game. The home team often comes out flat following the award presentions. It is one thing to introduce the seniors, but the award presentations today include the parents, and flowers for the moms, and a host of other things the SID's office comes up with. I get why, but there is a benefit to holding the ceremony postgame.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DALaxDad wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:54 pm In the FWIW category, Brown's senior day celebration followed its game with Dartmouth. I actually think holding the recognition ceremonies post-game makes sense. I always felt it was an advantage to the visting team to have the seniors and home team distracted pre-game. The home team often comes out flat following the award presentions. It is one thing to introduce the seniors, but the award presentations today include the parents, and flowers for the moms, and a host of other things the SID's office comes up with. I get why, but there is a benefit to holding the ceremony postgame.
It would have been fine to do postgame if they hadn't just been obliterated by a rival. But spirits were very low so there was little tolerance for the logistical issues that came with trying to organize the parents to walk onto the field just as fans were funneling out and the Maryland players were trying to get back to the locker rooms. Should have had more foresight there. But it's also not like they killed anyone. You live and learn and move on. The seniors/grad students had a better sendoff the following weekend at home against Penn State.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 5947143168
pms comments were interesting and telling. Focused on "Not getting rattled, faceoffs, controlling the middle of the field, decision making". This is what's troubling. You have a veteran goalie, defense and offense. Those should be things they should be able to do well and haven't been good at all year. that's coaching. doesn't require 5 star all americans to do that stuff.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:07 pm doesn't require 5 star all americans to do that stuff.
Against this Maryland team, yes, it does.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

"Not getting rattled" is the same general coach speak as "having a winning culture"/"knowing how to win". This may be a veteran group but they don't have much recent success or experience in the area of "we took another teams best shot, picked ourselves back up off the ground and went back to work and ground out the win because we were confident in our abilities and knew we could do it".

This team may be full of elder statesman and experienced but you can't really say they "know how to win".
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

If I'm Kirson right now I'm absolutely livid. He's been fantastic and this offense couldn't put together a quality possession if their lives depended on it. Defense is doing their job, get your heads out of your asses on O.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HappyHourLax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:56 pm If I'm Kirson right now I'm absolutely livid. He's been fantastic and this offense couldn't put together a quality possession if their lives depended on it. Defense is doing their job, get your heads out of your asses on O.
He’s playing well …needs to settle down …. Don’t need to see him behind the net
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HappyHourLax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:56 pm If I'm Kirson right now I'm absolutely livid. He's been fantastic and this offense couldn't put together a quality possession if their lives depended on it. Defense is doing their job, get your heads out of your asses on O.
He's playing well but if you're 47% on the year I'm not sure you get to be "livid" with any of your teammates.

Jays are certainly fighting. Narewski has got to stop panicking after he wins the faceoff. Shades of Hunter Moreland winning the clamp and then tossing the ball blindly over his shoulder.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

this is what the beginning of an upset looks like. credible defense and goaltending, withstanding an early terp knockout bunch. now can our guys control the ball and execute.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:04 pm this is what the beginning of an upset looks like. credible defense and goaltending, withstanding an early terp knockout bunch. now can our guys control the ball and execute.
why did you have to say anything? the jinx to end all jinxes

turnovers after faceoffs wins are killing us
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"why did you have to say anything? the jinx to end all jinxes"

Yep! Any sports fan would know this. But it seems to me this is just a first-half jinx . . . .
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

The constant diving fake hustle play that Koesterer has the D and goalies doing hurts more than it helps. Never gives us possessions and puts guys in terrible position on restarts. How about the players dive when it’s a legitimate race to the end line
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Spirited effort by the Blue Jays.

Protect those faceoff “wins” and nail more of those shots (they are generating good shots) and Hopkins can keep this close.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

shooting has been terrible. it's like maryland knows where the ball is going before it even gets there.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:21 pm Spirited effort by the Blue Jays.

Protect those faceoff “wins” and nail more of those shots (they are generating good shots) and Hopkins can keep this close.

DocBarrister
disagree on "good" shots. The outside shots are coming in without much heat or placement resulting in easy saves. Couldn't even score on a cold backup goalie.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Grant Jr has had an awful year. Just overestimated the talent he has and couldn't coach it well. Every time you look up there's an offensive player getting pushed around, failing to pick up a possession, not using size if they have it, not being aggressive. Across the board a veteran team just beating itself in too many little ways to beat maryland.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays constantly trying to force the ball inside against this Maryland defense.

Keough had a decent shot and should have taken it.

Hopkins will need to ramp things up. They will lose a game of attrition. Need to try and cause more turnovers and push more transition. That will surely generate more opportunities for Maryland, but they’re not going to win a genteel 6v6 on either end of the field.

Thirty minutes left in the season unless they can turn things around. Go monster aggressive and see where the chips fall.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Big Dog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:24 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:21 pm Spirited effort by the Blue Jays.

DocBarrister
disagree on "good" shots. The outside shots are coming in without much heat or placement resulting in easy saves. Couldn't even score on a cold backup goalie.
Generating good “looks”. Agree the shots themselves are nothing to write home about. Give some credit to the Terp goalies, who are coached by the best goalie coach in the business.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”