Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Always interesting what a 'first time poster' decides to lead with in that first post.

IMO,
1) The coaching change was inevitable, probably overdue.
2) Petro has handled it gracefully, much to his credit.
3) The current roster is way less remarkably talented than some have touted, but they include many good lacrosse players. None are bums.
4) An effective team with the expectations of the Hopkins' faithful requires more than some good players, they need all or nearly pieces of the puzzle to be first rate, not just some.
5) The Freddie Gray issues meant nothing to recruiting, ER though, had an enormous impact...Petro has publicly agreed that his participation in ER was an error, in retrospect.
6) This team has little different than last year's, just way less practice time with a new staff.

And finally, give it 4-5 years.
I know, I know, Hopkins' faithful will grumble anyway!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm Always interesting what a 'first time poster' decides to lead with in that first post.

IMO,
3) The current roster is way less remarkably talented than some have touted, but they include many good lacrosse players. None are bums.
4) An effective team with the expectations of the Hopkins' faithful requires more than some good players, they need all or nearly pieces of the puzzle to be first rate, not just some.
5) The Freddie Gray issues meant nothing to recruiting, ER though, had an enormous impact...Petro has publicly agreed that his participation in ER was an error, in retrospect.
6) This team has little different than last year's, just way less practice time with a new staff.

I called it in real time. Hopkins, UVA, Syracuse & Carolina had their pick of the top juniors in high school....going ALL-IN on entire classes with “the top freshmen” never made sense to me on any planet.... those schools gave up their cache willingly.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Over simplifying is one way of reducing complexity but running through a lot of this it seems to me is the assumption all else is equal. It isn’t.

A title recently published is Radical Uncertainty. Directed mostly at economists and social scientists using modeling to explain the authors suggest the first question that should be asked is “what is really going on here”.

Hopkins has changed in the last decade. Players have changed. Baltimore has changed. The desirability of other locations and coaches has gone up in many cases and down in a few. The sport has changed.

ESPN put Hopkins lax on because of a Hopkins alum. As an aside the fan with the biggest bank account is a Yale grad.

Using criteria mentioned here PM won at Cornell using others’ players. He was there 3 years (?). Why did he leave a potentially title winning team at Cornell?

There are 2 top 20 recruits on the team. Neither is contributing much. A less talented player 2 years ago wasn’t getting playing time and some went crazy. Now I think fans can see why. Also as an aside I think moving DeSimone was counter productive.

Next year’s class will be interesting to see.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:35 pm Always interesting what a 'first time poster' decides to lead with in that first post.

IMO,

I called it in real time. Hopkins, UVA, Syracuse & Carolina had their pick of the top juniors in high school....going ALL-IN on entire classes with “the top freshmen” never made sense to me on any planet.... those schools gave up their cache willingly.
virginia and syracuse never went all in. maryland mostly did, but were better at it. they should all thank notre dame, whose threat of poaching likely helped move them back. having to coddle 9th, and then 10th graders, then 11th... for years is a lot of work.

still, it was a turrible idea by all. and had some very poor downstream results younger.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm There are 2 top 20 recruits on the team. Neither is contributing much. A less talented player 2 years ago wasn’t getting playing time and some went crazy. Now I think fans can see why. Also as an aside I think moving DeSimone was counter productive.
There are three top 20 recruits in the freshman class alone. Seven total.

As an aside I think you might be the only person on planet Earth who thinks the DeSimone move was counter-productive. Please explain.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

OCanada wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm Also as an aside I think moving DeSimone was counter productive.
Please elaborate.

If there's one coaching gripe I'd have about whats happening on the offensive end it is the absolutely abysmal shooting percentage which is in part nothing new but another hold over from the prior regime and I would think should be coach correctable. We can't necessarily fix the personnel having velocity constraints from range but shot placement being better could at least help some. There really does look to still be way too much playing catch with the goalie or hitting them center mass instead of actually changing levels or pinging corners and this is for the guys that can actually sling it like Grimes too. His goal total is so small because he hasn't been putting the ball in a sensible location on cage. Even his EMO goal against Michigan was stick side high and apart from the velocity was probably a perfectly saveable shot if the goalie just held still instead of dropping down. I'm pretty sure even going back and looking at last week @PSU Degnon had 1 or 2 that went in similarly, I'm certain at least one went in after grazing off the goalies stick side shoulder. Why are we shooting at the goalies stick?

In doing a quick breakdown of the scoring against Michigan there look to have been 3 goals scored from any kind of actual "range" and two of them probably could have been stopped. The best shot fundamentally from distance that went in came from the stick of Narewski the FOGO. This isn't a winning formula, how about we throw it offside high or at the goalies offside hip or foot? Kiracofe had a real good day and takes up a bunch of the goal by just existing but we've gotta do better than this.

1 - Desimone on broken clear, doorstep finish throws two fakes and goalie falls down Q1 11:19
2 - Shilling high to high goalie stick side Q1 7:21 <- Saveable
3 - Narewski off the FO, High to low goalies offside foot Q1 7:17
4 - Williams EMO doorstep throws fake high to low Q2 14:51
5 - Brendan Grimes EMO sidearm rip 12 yards to stick side high Q2 12:21 <- Saveable
6 - Angelus off the crease high to high stick side Q3 8:32
7 - Desimone dodge from X low angle fakes low goes high offside shoulder "dunk" Q3 7:07
8 - Desimone curls from X doorstep high fake shoots low offside Q4 10:09
9 - Desimone curls from x doorstep high fake shoots low offside Q4 7:01
10 - Angelus dodges to the doorstep high to high offside Q4 4:42
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:27 pm Also as an aside I think moving DeSimone was counter productive.
Please elaborate.

If there's one coaching gripe I'd have about whats happening on the offensive end it is the absolutely abysmal shooting percentage which is in part nothing new but another hold over from the prior regime and I would think should be coach correctable. We can't necessarily fix the personnel having velocity constraints from range but shot placement being better could at least help some. There really does look to still be way too much playing catch with the goalie or hitting them center mass instead of actually changing levels or pinging corners and this is for the guys that can actually sling it like Grimes too. His goal total is so small because he hasn't been putting the ball in a sensible location on cage. Even his EMO goal against Michigan was stick side high and apart from the velocity was probably a perfectly saveable shot if the goalie just held still instead of dropping down. I'm pretty sure even going back and looking at last week @PSU Degnon had 1 or 2 that went in similarly, I'm certain at least one went in after grazing off the goalies stick side shoulder. Why are we shooting at the goalies stick?

In doing a quick breakdown of the scoring against Michigan there look to have been 3 goals scored from any kind of actual "range" and two of them probably could have been stopped. The best shot fundamentally from distance that went in came from the stick of Narewski the FOGO. This isn't a winning formula, how about we throw it offside high or at the goalies offside hip or foot? Kiracofe had a real good day and takes up a bunch of the goal by just existing but we've gotta do better than this.

1 - Desimone on broken clear, doorstep finish throws two fakes and goalie falls down Q1 11:19
2 - Shilling high to high goalie stick side Q1 7:21 <- Saveable
3 - Narewski off the FO, High to low goalies offside foot Q1 7:17
4 - Williams EMO doorstep throws fake high to low Q2 14:51
5 - Brendan Grimes EMO sidearm rip 12 yards to stick side high Q2 12:21 <- Saveable
6 - Angelus off the crease high to high stick side Q3 8:32
7 - Desimone dodge from X low angle fakes low goes high offside shoulder "dunk" Q3 7:07
8 - Desimone curls from X doorstep high fake shoots low offside Q4 10:09
9 - Desimone curls from x doorstep high fake shoots low offside Q4 7:01
10 - Angelus dodges to the doorstep high to high offside Q4 4:42
Good analysis. I think this team might miss Owen Murphy more than we thought. That kid can sling it.

Grimes is going to be a good shooter. He has a lightning fast release, and he puts a lot of zip on the ball. It's a matter of time for him. Might just be a matter of the game slowing down a bit. When he's doing less brain processing and more just *playing* he's going to make a much bigger impact.

I'm not sure what anyone else's excuse is. I feel this way in general but especially about our team—we need to see more shots at goalies' feet. It's not as sexy as a low-to-high rip but high-to-low release points work just as well, often better. At the very least they force the goalie to move his stick instead of shooting right into it.

Angelus is a crafty finisher inside. Always cans those looks on the crease. Was the same way in high school. It wasn't many seasons ago that there were pages and pages on this thread about how we had no one who could even finish on the crease. Baby steps.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:01 pm and this is for the guys that can actually sling it like Grimes too. His goal total is so small because he hasn't been putting the ball in a sensible location on cage. Even his EMO goal against Michigan was stick side high and apart from the velocity was probably a perfectly saveable shot if the goalie just held still instead of dropping down. I'm pretty sure even going back and looking at last week @PSU Degnon had 1 or 2 that went in similarly, I'm certain at least one went in after grazing off the goalies stick side shoulder. Why are we shooting at the goalies stick?

for guys that can "sling it", stickside high is perfectly acceptable.
goalies freezing is what happens when it comes up on them quicker than they want, especially if they know the guy can bring it. there's also an advantage of getting in the goalie's head for letting one in by his ear stickside. what's necessary is that it's on cage. and also that the guys that can't "bring it" shoot to spots like they need to. as above. pro tip.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:45 pm

IMO,

virginia and syracuse never went all in. maryland mostly did, but were better at it. they should all thank notre dame, whose threat of poaching likely helped move them back. having to coddle 9th, and then 10th graders, then 11th... for years is a lot of work.

still, it was a turrible idea by all. and had some very poor downstream results younger.
I will have to check the tape but UVA was full with sophomores before their Spring season before everyone else climbed on board. Maybe when Freshmen started coming off the board, Dom left a couple of slots for sophomores...and maybe “a” junior. Those schools set the market. Just how it was. It never made sense to me but what do I know. Everyone adopted it, pretty much. No choice. The market was set....players did start trading up.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

IMO,

I will have to check the tape but UVA was full with sophomores before their Spring season before everyone else climbed on board. Maybe when Freshmen started coming off the board, Dom left a couple of slots for sophomores...and maybe “a” junior. Those schools set the market. Just how it was. It never made sense to me but what do I know. Everyone adopted it, pretty much. No choice. The market was set....players did start trading up.
that never happened. it was a good tale, tho. caveat, not sure all commits, or at least committing to commit, were public. having said that, uva committed to like 5-7 freshmen in toto. plus cormier.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:14 pm for guys that can "sling it", stickside high is perfectly acceptable.
goalies freezing is what happens when it comes up on them quicker than they want, especially if they know the guy can bring it. there's also an advantage of getting in the goalie's head for letting one in by his ear stickside. what's necessary is that it's on cage. and also that the guys that can't "bring it" shoot to spots like they need to. as above. pro tip.
While some may fall that way it's still not really going to be a best practice. In Grimes goal case it probably only actually went in because Kiracofe dipped a little and "moved out of the way" in anticipation from the sidearm slot. Its one thing if you're pinging the corner but otherwise lets shoot for some visibile net. That said Grimes biggest problem in particular has seemed to be just flat hitting the goalie center mass when he's been putting it on cage more so than even stick side high. But like you don't see O'Keefe with his heavy shot trying to force it through places. A goal is a goal and rifling it offside hip is a bigger and generally more vulnerable target unless the goalie is a known "butterflier"/"flopper".

For fun I went and did the same for Michigan goals from the weekend...
1 - Bonomi top of key 12 yards, high to low shot 5 hole Q1 10:32
2 - Bonomi sidearm on the run offside hip Q1 7:06
3 - Boehm sidearm rocket 12 yards to offside high Q2 13:50
4 - Zawada doorstep slashing dodge sidearm to stick side high Q2 10:59
5 - Myers low angle offside post high to low over Kirson shoulder Q2 7:24
6 - Papa sidearm low to offside high Q2 4:39
7 - Jackson High to high directly over Kirsons crouched head, stings inside the crossbar Q3 14:08
8 - Myers wormburner sidearm low to offside low, pings inside the post Q3 11:15
9 - Zawada sidearm low angle dodge from X, offside high corner Q3 9:23
10 - Clay doorstep high to mid stick side post Q3 2:03
11 - Bonomi sidearm on the run offside hip stings post Q4 11:21
12 - Clay from outside High to low offside foot Q4 3:44
13 - Zawada splits the double for an empty netter Q4 0:25
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:35 pm

IMO,

that never happened. it was a good tale, tho. caveat, not sure all commits, or at least committing to commit, were public. having said that, uva committed to like 5-7 freshmen in toto. plus cormier.
What part never happened? Full of sophomores before Spring Lacrosse? Two super early kids were actually cut. PS...one thing I love about the Hopkins thread, you can’t chat about anything and nobody complains!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:14 pm for guys that can "sling it", stickside high is perfectly acceptable.
While some may fall that way it's still not really going to be a best practice. In Grimes goal case it probably only actually went in because Kiracofe dipped a little and "moved out of the way" in anticipation from the sidearm slot. That said Grimes biggest problem in particular has seemed to be just flat hitting the goalie center mass when he's been putting it on cage more so than even stick side high. But like you don't see O'Keefe with his heavy shot trying to force it through places. A goal is a goal and rifling it offside hip is a bigger and generally more vulnerable target unless the goalie is a known "butterflier"/"flopper".

For fun I went and did the same for Michigan goals from the weekend...
1 - Bonomi top of key 12 yards, high to low shot 5 hole Q1 10:32
2 - Bonomi sidearm on the run offside hip Q1 7:06
3 - Boehm sidearm rocket 12 yards to offside high Q2 13:50
4 - Zawada doorstep slashing dodge sidearm to stick side high Q2 10:59
5 - Myers low angle offside post high to low over Kirson shoulder Q2 7:24
6 - Papa sidearm low to offside high Q2 4:39
7 - Jackson High to high directly over Kirsons crouched head, stings inside the crossbar Q3 14:08
8 - Myers wormburner sidearm low to offside low, pings inside the post Q3 11:15
9 - Zawada sidearm low angle dodge from X, offside high corner Q3 9:23
10 - Clay doorstep high to mid stick side post Q3 2:03
11 - Bonomi sidearm on the run offside hip stings post Q4 11:21
12 - Clay from outside High to low offside foot Q4 3:44
13 - Zawada splits the double for an empty netter Q4 0:25
the hitch is what happens. and shooters know when goalies think they have the spot covered, they can start moving to where they think the shooter sees net.
that's part of the reason why you see the hitch. and real shooters can anticipate it, and know it's still a spot to shoot at.
couple that with lefty wing shooters facing righties, it's sometimes where they have to go for more space.
most sidearm garbage from non-shooters is wasteful. and your list isn't helpful without video and a list of all the wasted chances. in general, overhand shooting and mixing it up, especially for non-slingers, is what leads to higher shooting %. and if you get a look at off side hip, that's stat sheet if not sportscenter top 10.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Probably not a productive argument as to 'how many' was 'too many'; maybe better to leave it that it was simply 'too many, too early' as I think the coaches who were most active in "making that market" have pretty much confirmed that they agree it was 'too many' and 'too early'.

what's "full"?...some schools only take 8-10 recruits per year, so 6-8 slots taken up by sophomores would be "full" to some...not a worthwhile debate IMO. Simply 'too many, too early'.

Along the way, some of us were suggesting that it was particularly difficult to identify goalies, defenders, and D-mids early, considerably easier to identify the stud attack man who at least would likely contribute if not be the #1 when all grown up. And we also suggested that beyond the top 10-15 kids in any given year as pre-season juniors, it was something of a crapshoot with diminishing % chances after the top group...#80 IL was almost as likely as #20 IL to blossom. Much less making that determination of freshmen and sophomores..or 8th graders!

But that period has passed and now we're on to a period of transfers...Putting aside the Covid effect, I'm thinking that for every Chris Gray and Michael Sowers, there are going to be some downsides of over activity in that arena as well...but I haven't given it as much thought.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:38 pm

IMO,

What part never happened? Full of sophomores before Spring Lacrosse? Two super early kids were actually cut. PS...one thing I love about the Hopkins thread, you can’t chat about anything and nobody complains!
yup. find it. you won't. i love the hop thread.

p.s. who were the cuts and when? you can p.m.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

IMO,

I should have recorded it... ;) Willing to take one more when a kid got hurt.....
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:53 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

IMO,

I should have recorded it... ;) Willing to take one more when a kid got hurt.....
do the work, hoss. don't leave it like you are right.
how often i been wrong?
#hit15-20
molo

Post by molo »

To go back to the mid to attack/attack to mid issue, Matt Moore of UVA started his college career as a middie and moved to attack although he has been known of late to take a run or two out of the box.
random observer

Post by random observer »

molo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm To go back to the mid to attack/attack to mid issue, Matt Moore of UVA started his college career as a middie and moved to attack although he has been known of late to take a run or two out of the box.
Moore is another one of those guys like DeSimone who was projected to be a middle in college, but really was always more of an attackman. He played a good deal of it in high school, and thus it was a much easier transition. Bernhardt somewhat fits this bill too; unlike other #1s like Chanenchuk and Kelly who were closer to pure middies but stayed on the field full-time (although Kelly played some attack early in high school as well if I recall), Bernhardt was always a guy who was a bit of a tweener who was as comfortable down low as up top.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

molo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm To go back to the mid to attack/attack to mid issue, Matt Moore of UVA started his college career as a middie and moved to attack although he has been known of late to take a run or two out of the box.
He might be one of the few true middies to move to attack. Most guys are high school attackmen who start at midfield and then get moved (Bernhardt’s a good example); he was a middie in HS too. Good shout

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”