Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:28 pm Any reason the Blue Jays shouldn’t be pursuing Kelly, Solomon, and Dordevic right now?

Any reason not to pursue Handley after Penn finishes their season?

Blue Jays need to get aggressive on the transfer portal.

DocBarrister
This is all so absurd - maybe if we get everybody in the transfer portal there will be nobody left to play us so we'll win. Here's my thought on the chances of getting any one of these players - slim and none and slim may be packing his bags

Dordevic - going to take the Cuse faithful at their word that he might like a shot at a 'ship and his college major doesn't seem like a great fit

Kelly - maybe the best chance since he's from Baltimore - maybe some comfort there but as with Solomon - why do you need him and why would they want to come to Hopkins? Especially if Degnon stays and especially if Epstein/Hopkins were to defy the pundits - don't you want one of your prized freshmen - Marquis - to play as soon as possible? Don't you want to see if Charboneau can be anything? Soloman has 37 points and Kelly has 35 - same numbers as Angelus. Solomon and Kelly are good players - they will not change the trajectory of Hopkins lacrosse for one year of good.

Handley - now in terms of impact there's a completely different story - who wouldn't want him? Who shouldn't try to get him? I think I might be able to predict his destination if he wants to play lacrosse and get his MBA since he was in the Wharton School at Penn and its a business school with 5 letters but its not Carey - its Fuqua and lord help us with O'Neill and him together for 2 years. Or maybe UVA - they would appear ranking wise to be the two best business schools of non IVY contenders.

And BTW - just because I don't think (and I have plenty of company) the Jays have a snowball's chance on Thursday doesn't mean the coaches and players should think that way so I hope PM is plenty busy right now cooking up the miracle gameplan - so if he wants to check in with Tucker D on Friday - have at it - not until then.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:30 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:28 pm Any reason the Blue Jays shouldn’t be pursuing Kelly, Solomon, and Dordevic right now?

Any reason not to pursue Handley after Penn finishes their season?

DocBarrister
This is all so absurd - maybe if we get everybody in the transfer portal there will be nobody left to play us so we'll win. Here's my thought on the chances of getting any one of these players - slim and none and slim may be packing his bags

Dordevic - going to take the Cuse faithful at their word that he might like a shot at a 'ship and his college major doesn't seem like a great fit

Kelly - maybe the best chance since he's from Baltimore - maybe some comfort there but as with Solomon - why do you need him and why would they want to come to Hopkins? Especially if Degnon stays and especially if Epstein/Hopkins were to defy the pundits - don't you want one of your prized freshmen - Marquis - to play as soon as possible? Don't you want to see if Charboneau can be anything? Soloman has 37 points and Kelly has 35 - same numbers as Angelus. Solomon and Kelly are good players - they will not change the trajectory of Hopkins lacrosse for one year of good.

Handley - now in terms of impact there's a completely different story - who wouldn't want him? Who shouldn't try to get him? I think I might be able to predict his destination if he wants to play lacrosse and get his MBA since he was in the Wharton School at Penn and its a business school with 5 letters but its not Carey - its Fuqua and lord help us with O'Neill and him together for 2 years. Or maybe UVA - they would appear ranking wise to be the two best business schools of non IVY contenders.

And BTW - just because I don't think (and I have plenty of company) the Jays have a snowball's chance on Thursday doesn't mean the coaches and players should think that way so I hope PM is plenty busy right now cooking up the miracle gameplan - so if he wants to check in with Tucker D on Friday - have at it - not until then.
It’s not either/or.

The Blue Jays need to start recruiting everyone who can help this program, no matter how long a reach. If the program is recruiting only low-hanging fruit, then we will never again see Hopkins win a national championship.

The program obviously needs to improve depth, athleticism, speed, skill, and size everywhere. There is talent and some depth on the current Hopkins team, but not enough of it. Blue Jays need the depth for more intrasquad competition in practice and as a hedge against inevitable injuries.

Hopkins staff needs to be recruiting talent wherever they can find it. Coach Milliman and his staff need to outrecruit the Dukes, Virginias, Yales, and Marylands of the lacrosse world. Focusing on low-hanging fruit isn’t going to cut it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm The Blue Jays need to start recruiting everyone who can help this program, no matter how long a reach.
No - they really don't - especially when it comes to one year rentals. And I am not saying you ignore any of those 4 players (or anyone else) at all but you need to evaluate each situation in the context of several issues:
- Transfers - especialy one year rentals - think they should play and want to play - are they better then what you have? With Dordevic and Handley the answer is an absolute yes - the answer with the 2 Carolina players is not that clear
- Roster Size - In Hopkins case I've already posted the math that if Maher comes back your base - before seniors and staff make their decisions - is 57. There are a few seniors you might want as a astaff - Degnon/McManus/Narewski (even Epstein has better stats than either of the 2 Carolina players) - you posted before you want Epstein to stay - why would you want Solomon then? Gonna play another attackman at mid?
- Money - relates to roster size - maybe the only arrow in your quiver could be if you offer some folks alot of crypto - where's it coming from? I imagine your 12.6 is stretched pretty darn thin with close to 60 mouths to feed.
- Team Chemistry - you'll notice that only Jennings has been a one year rental of Milliman's 6 transfers and that was for a position of extreme need or at least unknown since you knew DeLaney would not be back. Winning cures alot of ills but there are probably recruits even on Maryland's team that are wondering what was the number of the bus. In baseball terms - what is the WOR of the transfer? I want folks like Marquis on the field ASAP. Shrinking the roster (not growing it) - maximizing the amount of financial aid - maximizing the usefulness of everyone on the roster- that's how you get the program back.

So - I would be all in on Dordevic and Handley - let's get them. Oh - wait a mainute - they also have to want to come here. But we'll recuit really HARD and they'll come right? What's your pitch to Handley - with a decent assumption his desire is an MBA given he was in Wharton - over say Duke or UVA? Carey vs Fuqua? Carey vs Darden? Duke/UVA vs Hopkins state of the lacrosse program right now? He might want to play with O'Neill or Shellenberger - just sayin.

All that being said - one has to think Miliman will reach out and ask what those players are thinking - especially Handley since he could be around for 2 years. But I am not going to hang him from the yard arm if they don't come - very likely a loooooong shot
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Am I missing something on Handley? Is he in the portal or is this just a hypothetical?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 am Am I missing something on Handley? Is he in the portal or is this just a hypothetical?
Hypothetical, but he can't play at Penn next year and he isn't being discussed as a PLL draft pick so the assumption is he's going to play college lacrosse somewhere next season, just hasn't officially entered the portal yet. A lot of kids won't until their seasons are over.

Every school in the country will want him. We're very, very, very, very likely not going to get him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm

It’s not either/or.

The Blue Jays need to start recruiting everyone who can help this program, no matter how long a reach. If the program is recruiting only low-hanging fruit, then we will never again see Hopkins win a national championship.

The program obviously needs to improve depth, athleticism, speed, skill, and size everywhere. There is talent and some depth on the current Hopkins team, but not enough of it. Blue Jays need the depth for more intrasquad competition in practice and as a hedge against inevitable injuries.

Hopkins staff needs to be recruiting talent wherever they can find it. Coach Milliman and his staff need to outrecruit the Dukes, Virginias, Yales, and Marylands of the lacrosse world. Focusing on low-hanging fruit isn’t going to cut it.

DocBarrister
The Jays will be lucky to hold onto the players that they have.
There are no five start recruits in the next two incoming classes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:27 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm

It’s not either/or.

DocBarrister
The Jays will be lucky to hold onto the players that they have.
There are no five start recruits in the next two incoming classes.
Very likely true that the Blue Jays will lose some talented players who have eligibility remaining. That is precisely why Coach Milliman and his staff should be aggressively pursuing every talented player on the transfer portal whom they judge could potentially help the team. I would guess that includes a couple of North Carolina players who routinely score 20 goals a season.

In addition, to manage roster size, the coaching staff will need to make some difficult decisions about players who may need to be released from the current roster to make room for transfers.

It’s not a pleasant business, but it’s the brave new world in major college lacrosse. Coach Milliman will have no choice but to compete in it.

In order to succeed in this new era, especially if your HS recruiting classes are not routinely among the best in the country, I would guess at least 4 to 6 transfers would be necessary each year … yep, at least a third of the roster.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Tue May 03, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This is like Abbott and Costello, except it's not funny
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I wouldn’t be so sure he can’t play at Penn next year
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 am This is like Abbott and Costello, except it's not funny
Is there anything specific that you want to comment on, or is it that time of month again?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51 makes a number of good points. The first is that PM was pretty clear he has no interest in these bloated roster concepts. The problem is that the 3 current classes that could return who've seen extensive playing time this year and previously have not been very good so you have a lot of veterans who frankly in many cases especially on offense have not improved. I'm at maybe Smith peshko grimes dunn martin szuluk angelus fernandez degnon narewski I'd want back next year. The rest I don't need to see back. You add the returning freshmen and incoming freshmen and that's maybe 30 players that to me deserve a uniform next year.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:50 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 am This is like Abbott and Costello, except it's not funny
Is there anything specific that you want to comment on, or is it that time of month again?

DocBarrister ;)
People who menstruate might ask for a re-wording.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

Hopefully this isn't a jinx, but I take it as a positive reflection of the culture PM is building that nobody from Hopkins has entered the transfer portal yet. Also seems like plenty of opportunities for PT for some of the top portal entrants, this could be a major offseason for the Jays if they play it right.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Rolldins wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm Hopefully this isn't a jinx, but I take it as a positive reflection of the culture PM is building that nobody from Hopkins has entered the transfer portal yet. Also seems like plenty of opportunities for PT for some of the top portal entrants, this could be a major offseason for the Jays if they play it right.
Our season isn't officially over so would be bad form to have guys enter the portal mid season... We will see what happens early next week assuming we don't pull off a miracle on Thursday and keep that momentum rolling into the weekend.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

The discussion about the transfer portal is interesting. But one critical factor, of course, is the ability of the player to be admitted to Hopkins as an undergrad or graduate student. How difficult, in practice, is it for the players transferring to meet this standard. A collorary is how much support is needed from the administration to accomplish a transfer?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HillsLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:39 pm The discussion about the transfer portal is interesting. But one critical factor, of course, is the ability of the player to be admitted to Hopkins as an undergrad or graduate student. How difficult, in practice, is it for the players transferring to meet this standard. A collorary is how much support is needed from the administration to accomplish a transfer?
It's not like every transfer has been from Harvard. PM has brought in guys from Syracuse, Providence, and Ohio State, which are good schools but not exactly Hopkins peer institutions from an academic rigor standpoint. Provided they are decent students I don't think there's a huge issue getting transfers in. Certainly less of an issue than UNC's business school it seems. Have heard that the reason for UVA's lack of transfers (relative to teams like Maryland and Georgetown) is because its biz school is also extremely difficult to get into for recent graduates and that they don't bend the rules at all for athletes.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Was it a mistake to let Baskin go? He put up 28 goals with 16 assists at Villanova, or was Coach just ready to turn the page?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:34 am Was it a mistake to let Baskin go? He put up 28 goals with 16 assists at Villanova, or was Coach just ready to turn the page?
or Murphy? or Zinn? or who's next.....
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:34 am Was it a mistake to let Baskin go? He put up 28 goals with 16 assists at Villanova, or was Coach just ready to turn the page?
He had 7 goals in 13 games last year and as 51 mentioned his numbers at Villanova come with a large variety of caveats
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:40 am
or Murphy? or Zinn? or who's next.....
Zinn has 6 goals in 14 games shooting 19% and has only picked up 7 total GBs which is eye-opening for a two-way middie. What are we even talking about here lol

These were not impact losses. If those two guys are brought back that's probably less time for someone like Evans/Bauer/Raposo to see what they've got and you also probably get less out of Angelus and Keogh. You can't just add their stats at another school on top of what we have, that's not how it works. And it's not like they let Logan Wisnauskas walk. Plus you already had 8 grad students on the roster, that was arguably too many as is for a program that needed a culture change and some roster turnover. Like every school some guys were brought back and some weren't and the reasons are not the same for every player

Murphy is the only one who probably would have helped in a meaningful way this year, but as we've been over ad nauseam the circumstances of his exit were more complex than being simply "let go" for no reason.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 am
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 am Am I missing something on Handley? Is he in the portal or is this just a hypothetical?
Hypothetical, but he can't play at Penn next year and he isn't being discussed as a PLL draft pick so the assumption is he's going to play college lacrosse somewhere next season, just hasn't officially entered the portal yet. A lot of kids won't until their seasons are over.

Every school in the country will want him. We're very, very, very, very likely not going to get him. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
I believe Handley may have taken some time off from Penn and will be returning next year. His LinkedIn lists Penn 2018-2023

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”