Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

Very happy for the team - especially the GS' and the seniors who may not return - congrats to Epstein on 100 goals. I hope the team figures something out - but in the shot clock era - its virtually impossible to see Blue Jay smiles at 7:30 on Thursday (when the game is apprx. officially over) - I hope they account for themselves well and fight to the end with class.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:30 pm It was your fellow Hop homie Drcthru who pointed it out, not me.
Good luck with that one there.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://medium.com/@craig.j.mcmichael/g ... 00426687f1

I don't know who this guy is and who his insiders are but he makes a few points a few of you have made consistently which is that the defense is improving, Grant jr has had a bad couple of years, and there is a severe lack of talent on the roster particularly on offense. If you're a syracuse fan reading this those defensive numbers under Petro should be a concern. I expect PM to pound the transfer portal for offense or he needs to or we're going to be stuck again next spring.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:37 am https://medium.com/@craig.j.mcmichael/g ... 00426687f1

I don't know who this guy is and who his insiders are but he makes a few points a few of you have made consistently which is that the defense is improving, Grant jr has had a bad couple of years, and there is a severe lack of talent on the roster particularly on offense. If you're a syracuse fan reading this those defensive numbers under Petro should be a concern. I expect PM to pound the transfer portal for offense or he needs to or we're going to be stuck again next spring.
Excellent article.

Coach Milliman and his staff will need to recruit seniors like Joey Epstein to stay (hard to imagine) and ramp up their efforts on the transfer portal.

Blue Jays have already brought in some good players through the transfer portal, but they will need to land some great ones to compete in the current era. HS recruiting remains crucial, but it just won’t be enough moving forward. With teams like Maryland, Duke, Rutgers, and North Carolina loading up on transfer talent, it will be difficult to compete.

Yes, the Ivy League has succeeded this season without transfers, but I suspect that will be temporary.

With NIL money and the transport portal, things have changed … both big and fast.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:37 am https://medium.com/@craig.j.mcmichael/g ... 00426687f1

Excellent article.

Coach Milliman and his staff will need to recruit seniors like Joey Epstein to stay (hard to imagine) and ramp up their efforts on the transfer portal.

Blue Jays have already brought in some good players through the transfer portal, but they will need to land some great ones to compete in the current era. HS recruiting remains crucial, but it just won’t be enough moving forward. With teams like Maryland, Duke, Rutgers, and North Carolina loading up on transfer talent, it will be difficult to compete.

Yes, the Ivy League has succeeded this season without transfers, but I suspect that will be temporary.

With NIL money and the transport portal, things have changed … both big and fast.

DocBarrister
NIL raises a really interesting question for me. Will elite academic schools set up infrastructure to facilitate NIL $, or will that be an informal thing (facilitated by alumni, friends of a particular program, etc.)? I haven't heard much about NIL coming from Ivy League-type schools. It doesn't mean it hasn't or won't happen, but I haven't heard much about it.

If there are any group of schools better positioned to capitalize on NIL, it's gotta be elite academic institutions just based on the number of successful alumni.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

I was being realistic. I love the Jays and would love to see them win but, I'm not sure I would take the 9 points. https://masseyratings.com/game.php?s0=3 ... &oid1=4474
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Excellent article.

DocBarrister
NIL raises a really interesting question for me. Will elite academic schools set up infrastructure to facilitate NIL $, or will that be an informal thing (facilitated by alumni, friends of a particular program, etc.)? I haven't heard much about NIL coming from Ivy League-type schools. It doesn't mean it hasn't or won't happen, but I haven't heard much about it.

If there are any group of schools better positioned to capitalize on NIL, it's gotta be elite academic institutions just based on the number of successful alumni.
Good points.

Schools that don’t take an active role in assisting, advising, and protecting their student athletes with respect to NIL deals are going to experience the negative backwash from predatory profiteers taking advantage of their students and program.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JHU has been very supportive of DeSimone's STX deal. He's not the only one with a deal but that's obviously the biggest one

"NIL support" could be a recruiting factor moving forward but I don't think it'll be a particularly big one. This isn't college football. Academics, team success, culture, tradition, social life, location, etc. all more important. Most programs that care about lacrosse are going to support their student-athletes when NIL opportunities present themselves as Hopkins and many other schools have done since NIL began.

I feel bad for Petro, Cuse is not in a good place right now and I worry their fans are going to blame him for their (admittedly very bad) defense when it's clear they had major issues before he arrived. Hope he lands somewhere else in a lower pressure environment after coaching at two schools with unique pressures. St. John's could really use a new program direction — power 5 school with Long Island connections, it's not a stellar job but maybe one in which Petro could guide toward relevance.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:58 pm JHU has been very supportive of DeSimone's STX deal. He's not the only one with a deal but that's obviously the biggest one

"NIL support" could be a recruiting factor moving forward but I don't think it'll be a particularly big one. This isn't college football. Academics, team success, culture, tradition, social life, location, etc. all more important. Most programs that care about lacrosse are going to support their student-athletes when NIL opportunities present themselves as Hopkins and many other schools have done since NIL began.

I feel bad for Petro, Cuse is not in a good place right now and I worry their fans are going to blame him for their (admittedly very bad) defense when it's clear they had major issues before he arrived. Hope he lands somewhere else in a lower pressure environment after coaching at two schools with unique pressures. St. John's could really use a new program direction — power 5 school with Long Island connections, it's not a stellar job but maybe one in which Petro could guide toward relevance.
St. John’s is a power 5 school now? Yeah I don’t think so.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:06 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:58 pm JHU has been very supportive of DeSimone's STX deal. He's not the only one with a deal but that's obviously the biggest one

Might not be a literal lacrosse equivalent to the "power 5" but the Big East is routinely a top 4 conference. That's all I meant. Pretty sure Petro said if he were to coach again it would only be in one of said conferences, but may be misremembering the quote
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:10 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:06 pm

Might not be a literal lacrosse equivalent to the "power 5" but the Big East is routinely a top 4 conference. That's all I meant. Pretty sure Petro said if he were to coach again it would only be in one of said conferences, but may be misremembering the quote
Perhaps. But I think he meant ACC/B1G. You could see the Ivy as well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 pm Perhaps. But I think he meant ACC/B1G. You could see the Ivy as well.
I'm sure he'd prefer that but don't see any of those jobs opening any time soon unless Mich or PSU makes a move soon. Plus Petro's stock isn't exactly at an all-time high. A job like St. John's might be the best he can do at this point. Of course that'd need to open up as well.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Yes, but are they supporting it through building specific infrastructure that pairs companies with athletes? Or are they supporting him (i.e., staying out of his way) in his specific relationship building? There's a difference there. I wonder where schools like Hopkins and Ivy League schools will end up on this. In a world where elite academic institutions actually create structures to facilitate specific company-athlete partnerships, those schools will have a massive edge in non-revenue sports and possibly in some revenue sports situations.

Like, Maryland fans have fever dreams...totally hallucinogenic...where Sergey Brin strikes up some Google deals for Maryland athletes!

Elite academic institutions have like 40 Brins.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Good on Hopkins and Milliman for bouncing back after the Terps loss to decisively beat Penn State in a meaningful game. Seniors get to have good final memories of Homewood as they move on to the next stage in their lives.

Shows character to be able to win like they did after a rough loss and a rough Senior Day overall.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hopkins and Baltimore are perfectly set up for NIL. One of the interesting things on the broadcasts this year has been at Homewood you see ads from endzone to endzone and with a lot of our bigger school opponents at least offhand I did not see that amount of signage. For all the "Hopkins is dead" stuff on here and the media that was an awful lot of support w/all those brands presumably paying to have those banners along the field.

I think we can beat maryland and it starts w/narewski having a big day, offensive efficiency, and limiting easy scoring. At some point things have to turn around for Hopkins and it would be a nice moment for the kids and building block for Millimans efforts to rebuild the program.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Excellent article.

DocBarrister

Many schools have tried to formulize the NIL process by creating a position(s) within the athletic department to work with their players on NIL deals. I believe the positions are also done to ensure a player's NIL deals doesn't conflict with positions of the school. For example, a kid taking an NIL deal that requires him to wear UA stuff (or something like that) and it is a Nike school. Also, the positions are there to ensure players don't take deals with gambling sites and the like.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:29 pm

Like, Maryland fans have fever dreams...totally hallucinogenic...where Sergey Brin strikes up some Google deals for Maryland athletes!

Elite academic institutions have like 40 Brins.
Isn't Kevin Plank enough?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:28 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 pm Perhaps. But I think he meant ACC/B1G. You could see the Ivy as well.
I'm sure he'd prefer that but don't see any of those jobs opening any time soon unless Mich or PSU makes a move soon. Plus Petro's stock isn't exactly at an all-time high. A job like St. John's might be the best he can do at this point. Of course that'd need to open up as well.
Correct. He needs to rebuild his "brand" before he even is offered another job. Much like the news at Hopkins by the more critical fans, even after 2 years, the noise about firing Petro as the DC after one year is just noise. Same with the noise from the SU fans that don't like Gait's relatively calm demeanor on the sideline and questioning whether he should go after one year. I'd be shocked if they weren't right back into the thick of tournament (I think they have a better chance at the tournament than Hopkins does next year) - maybe not next year but the year after given what he's got coming in he'll be fine.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think the article has more than a few holes despite echoing some of the things that have been posted on this board for years. First offense - I don't get this top 5 -10 offense in 16-19. They averaged less than 12 goals per game in '17 and '18 and barely got to 12 in 2019 when 194 goals in 16 games. They also went 8-7/8-7/12-5 and 8-8 in that time span. I get it the defense was not exceptional but the efficency statistic is flawed if you never get to 200 goals for at least 15 games and you're a top 5 offense. Included in that was losing to Princeton by 11 and Duke by 13 in 2017 while scoring a grand total of 13 goals.

"Ryan Brown, John Crawley, Kyle Marr, Shack, and Wells Stanwick led the Jays with an electric high-scoring offense during that time." Not really as Wells graduated in 15 and Brown in 16.

No AA talent - well there's at least one - Scott Smith. I will agree there are no offensive superstars. People thought Grimes and Peshko were capable. Maybe Todaro is when he gets healthy.

They make a big deal over Epstein's freshman year but don't mention the injury which surely helped derail his projections from alot of people that he would be a Tew finalist someday.

Pandemic impact and impact of coaching changes are completely ignored on recruiting. And TX and his staff of hundreds have never made a Type I or Type II mistake in recruiting evaluation. We will see what stars Marquis and Collison and others are. Apply the same standards to Cornell then as well - Teat/Piatelli and others were well known but Cornell's roster (and others) are not loaded with 5 stars.

Transfer portal - it is hard for Hopkins because of the breadth of the graduate school programs. So Hopkins will likely never get 5 guys from the portal. If someone needs a business school or international studies maybe you can get a couple.
Plus as '16 and others have pointed out - the pandemic and IVY League restrictions have made "the portal" very impactful for lacrosse. You could always transfesr in lacrosse and nobody cared - you just didn't call it a portal. Assuming things return to some level of normality and games/seasons are not cancelled - the portal could be less impactful - for lacrosse.

Murphy/Zin/Baskin - Zinn has scored 6 goals and is still shooting under 20%. He is playing with a transition
oriented team and with the 2 time defending national champs with some of the best players in the college game. He is a better version of himself but let's not pretend he is all of a sudden Brendan Schneck or something.
Baskin - he has had a great year - I assume with 44 points he is playing attack - OK who are you taking off the field - Epstein/DeSimone or Angelus? If he's back at Hop he's likely a mid-fielder contributing his mid teen points and maybe Evans or someone doesn't get the development. He was clearly another example of someone forced to play out of position. Lots of Fairfield's/St. Johns/Providences/Hofstras on Villanova's schedule too. He doesn't get to 44 playing Hop's schedule.
Murphy - discussed ad nauseum - talented player - wished it could have turned out differently

Find it laughable that we are touting one recruit that one of the "insiders' knows that won't be here for two year. Ayers clearly looks like a player Hopkins needs but you focus on one player who's a high school junior? Why not Marquis? I can find youtube highlight films of him that are just as good.
jhu06 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:26 pm I think we can beat maryland and it starts w/narewski having a big day, offensive efficiency, and limiting easy scoring. At some point things have to turn around for Hopkins and it would be a nice moment for the kids and building block for Millimans efforts to rebuild the program.
Please stop - you do this every game and then rip the team when they don't win. Your boy Carc said the following yesterday on the Syracuse/ND broadcast - paraphrasing - but pretty accurate "I don't feel the 4th or 5th seeded team has ANY chance against Maryland in the semis with Maryland having a week to prepare -it's at least a 5 goal game. The only shot is the 2 or 3 seeded team with 2 days in between." He was talking about the NCAA tournament.

I am sure there is one Monte Carlo simulation - out of the 50,000 that has Hopkins winning. It is so improbable. To start with - you need an incredible number of face-off wins - yet the last time you played them they won 19 of the 33 face-offs. And that is not unusual as their face-off man and wings have been better than solid the whole year. They also put up 34 of 46 shots on goal - which is ridiculous to begin with - but it means you need 20+ saves from Kirson - probability of that occurring - close to zero - if he got to 50% 2 weeks ago they still would have scored 17. You also need to limit turnovers and you are averaging close to 17 per game and you are playing maybe the best defense in the country certainly one of the best. You also need to score - and you don't even get to 11 per game. Oh and their goalie had 18 saves the last time you played them so if you shoot 100% maybe you have a chance.

I would like to see Hopkins compete hard - they were absolutely embarrassed at home. But a victory would be one of the greatest upsets I've ever seen.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:32 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Correct. He needs to rebuild his "brand" before he even is offered another job. Much like the news at Hopkins by the more critical fans, even after 2 years, the noise about firing Petro as the DC after one year is just noise. Same with the noise from the SU fans that don't like Gait's relatively calm demeanor on the sideline and questioning whether he should go after one year. I'd be shocked if they weren't right back into the thick of tournament (I think they have a better chance at the tournament than Hopkins does next year) - maybe not next year but the year after given what he's got coming in he'll be fine.
You'll be shocked? They're a 4-10 team that's losing Phaup, Kennedy, Curry, and now the latest rumor is Dordevic too. I get that their incoming class is supposed to be good and Hiltz returns but they're a ways off IMO. That defense gives me PTSD. Meanwhile several other ACC teams have '22-'23 classes that are just as talented and I expect those teams to also do better in the transfer portal.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”