media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DMac

Re: media matters

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:27 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:09 am
old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:19 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:05 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:05 pm I've never claimed to be anything other than a partisan Conservative Republican. I make no apologies.
Completely untrue. You arrived at the Water Cooler claiming to be a moderate that despised partisan politics.

You've changed your tune, which is why all of us long timers have been reacting the way that we have literally since Trump arrived on the scene. Any pretense of evenhandedness left the building.

You finally cop to it here. And you're more than welcome to do this. Enjoy the forum.
:lol: ...I was still a staunch (R) when I joined. Recall my defense of W being called a draft dodger.
I'm still a fan of Simpson-Bowles. DACA's ok by me. I was with the Gang of 8 on immigration & still am.

Things were less polarized then. The GOP overall was more moderate then.
I still consider myself a moderate on several issues --immigration, gun control, abortion, food stamps & other public assistance.
I just trust the (R)'s more to implement them. We have to raise taxes & reduce entitlement spending.
Trump scares me less than what his enemies are willing to do to thwart him.
I still hope that DeSantis or Haley get the (R) nom.
That's all great. That doesn't change the fact that you told the forum you were a moderate, and despised the hypocrisy of both parties.

You weren't being straight then...... and now you are. Your posts are blind Republican partisan posts...party over reason. Reasoning with you is pointless...took me a long time to figure that out, fooled into thinking we were having a conversation about ideas and issues, when the reality was and is: your mind is made up before you sit down at the table any time US politics or political figures are involved.

And that's fine. As I said, enjoy the forum.
That was 15 years ago. By 2008 standards, I was a moderate...especially in the cordial discussions we had around the WC then.
Yeah but that's back when you were just a leach who got a free college education compliments of your Uncle Sam and his hefty bank account and before you became a commie and a traitor. ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:05 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:05 pm I've never claimed to be anything other than a partisan Conservative Republican. I make no apologies.
Completely untrue. You arrived at the Water Cooler claiming to be a moderate that despised partisan politics.

You've changed your tune, which is why all of us long timers have been reacting the way that we have literally since Trump arrived on the scene. Any pretense of evenhandedness left the building.

You finally cop to it here. And you're more than welcome to do this. Enjoy the forum.
:lol: ...I was still a staunch (R) when I joined. Recall my defense of W being called a draft dodger.
I'm still a fan of Simpson-Bowles. DACA's ok by me. I was with the Gang of 8 on immigration & still am.

I still consider myself a moderate on several issues --immigration, gun control, abortion, food stamps & other public assistance.
I just trust the (R)'s more to implement them. We have to raise taxes & reduce entitlement spending.
That's all great. That doesn't change the fact that you told the forum you were a moderate, and despised the hypocrisy of both parties.

You weren't being straight then...... and now you are. Your posts are blind Republican partisan posts...party over reason. Reasoning with you is pointless...took me a long time to figure that out, fooled into thinking we were having a conversation about ideas and issues, when the reality was and is: your mind is made up before you sit down at the table any time US politics or political figures are involved.

That was 15 years ago. By 2008 standards, I was a moderate...especially in the cordial discussions we had around the WC then.
Yeah but that's back when you were just a leach who got a free college education compliments of your Uncle Sam and his hefty bank account and before you became a commie and a traitor. ;)
:lol: ...me & Mike Flynn...thanks shipmate.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:01 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am Which issues would they be.

Paying for what we get from the Government (taxes, and Obama cut spending two years in a row)

Help for the working class.

Playing Global Cop.

Investing in Infrastructure.
What's "right" and what's "left" on those issues?

I agree that Biden and Obama at least appear to be more interested in paying for what we spend ("conservative"), though through tax revenue, given that Trump clearly cared not at all, or was actually so stupid that he believed the nonsense that was being peddled that tax cuts for the most wealthy and for large corporations would result in increased 'revenue' sufficient to pay for huge increases in spending. Actual fiscal conservatives didn't buy that nonsense. But MAGA sycophants went along for the ride, regardless of their former "Tea Party" positions...

Is "help for the working class" a left or right issue? More "left", correct?...and you think Trump actually was more to the left than Biden or Obama? Or was that really a lot of lip service, no action?

Is "playing global cop" a "left" or "right" thing? I dunno about that, a lot of right leaning American politicians have been in favor of interventionist, activist foreign policy...and many left leaning as well, though perhaps with more soft power versus hard power...and yet not opposed to using all powers...I'd say Trump talks like an an isolationist, certainly not an internationalist, but he also believes in "great power" politics, an ethnic or religious inspired nationalism that has a really ugly history. And in that, he tilts hard right.

Is investing in infrastructure a right or left issue?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:09 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:05 pm

:lol: ...me & Mike Flynn...thanks shipmate.
Is Mike Flynn a commie? ;)
More of a white christian nationalist, fascist not commie, right?

ohh yeah, I forgot, it was the "Deep State" that forced him into it...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yeah, I know. YOU changed. My point, precisely.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

a fan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 pm

2008 LP WC Republican moderates are now persona non grata in the Trump party. Or are secretly voting Trump. Seems like most are still "secretely" voting for Trump." Unfortunately for the rest of us there are few moderates left to moderate the Trump agenda.

I was a toss-up until McCain selected Palin.

It's an interesting observation that restricted speech in a semi-objective manner leads to mostly cordial/objective discussions. Had it for nearly 20 years with much less anger.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 pm

2008 LP WC Republican moderates are now persona non grata in the Trump party. Or are secretly voting Trump. Seems like most are still "secretely" voting for Trump." Unfortunately for the rest of us there are few moderates left to moderate the Trump agenda.

It's an interesting observation that restricted speech in a semi-objective manner leads to mostly cordial/objective discussions. Had it for nearly 20 years with much less anger.
It’s called repression by oppression the way it’s been described here many times.

Apparently logic and discourse is less valuable than having sheer numbers and rocking the tyranny of a majority. Someone made the argument today that it’s only about sheer numbers and force not intellect, logic an discourse. Pining for how it was because it was easier when folks didn’t have to work at it and could just bully others now and now appear to claim the opposite is happening to them. Mirrors the plight of many in the MaGA faction quite nicely if you can’t see the symmetry.

Thankfully I didn’t wade into that pond until we’ll after migrating to FL which was what? 5yrs ago now or so?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:45 pm

It’s called repression by oppression the way it’s been described here many times.

Apparently logic and discourse is less valuable than having sheer numbers and rocking the tyranny of a majority. Someone made the argument today that it’s only about sheer numbers and force not intellect, logic an discourse. Pining for how it was because it was easier when folks didn’t have to work at it and could just bully others now and now appear to claim the opposite is happening to them. Mirrors the plight of many in the MaGA faction quite nicely if you can’t see the symmetry.
Precisely.

But the part that MAGA and rural America don't get, is that with each passing year of shiny objects and conspiracy theories.....the coastal libs and their kids pull further ahead. The libs, obviously, can play this game as long as MAGA wants to play it, and then some.

The R's on this board are all retirement age. So they don't care, either.....status quo means more economic stability for them. Which, in the end, is more than enough.

And no, I don't blame them after a lifetime of work.........I get it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:45 pm

Precisely.

But the part that MAGA and rural America don't get, is that with each passing year of shiny objects and conspiracy theories.....the coastal libs and their kids pull further ahead. The libs, obviously, can play this game as long as MAGA wants to play it, and then some.

The R's on this board are all retirement age. So they don't care, either.....status quo means more economic stability for them. Which, in the end, is more than enough.

And no, I don't blame them after a lifetime of work.........I get it.
Sure, it’s just hidden in facade of opacity and dishonesty. And acknowledge little to no skin in the game in terms of long term planning or structural actions with respect to the future of society.

But again note one of my many financial posts was on the movement to a subscription economy while the richest in the country are buying land and hard tangible assets. Feudalism is coming. What do you think is happening when all the cats from the tri state area and Mass with banker and consultant money are migrating to low taxation, less dense and infill areas? There’s more Northeasterners in Asheville than southerners these days. Same w Orange Beach, Key West, Pawleys Island and even many non coastal areas. They’re buying up the low cost assets and land and finishing the job that was left over from the civil war. It’s gross down south how much subprime consumer business there is, car title lending storefronts, payday and cash advance, food deserts. Not just in the cities but in rural areas as well and places in between. It’s just cheap and easy. Instead they brag about the migration growth while we take their assets out from under their noses - not even a reacharound in the process.

But clearly this is a Democrat so Republican issue. People are too stupid to understand it’s a resource allocation fight.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
old salt

Post by old salt »

...as have you.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:14 am
old salt wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:14 am

...as have you.
Nope. Same guy. Same disdain for blind partisanship that disposes of all logical thinking.

I react to dishonest posting, and game playing. What farfromgeneva calls, correctly, "bad faith arguments"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

North Korean news media portrays a more accurate view of American life than you see on network or cable news:

The "truth" shall set you free!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 am North Korean news media portrays a more accurate view of American life than you see on network or cable news:

The "truth" shall set you free!
They snagged some clips of SF for Xi arrived? BTW....where are all those homeless now...Newsome kill them off. Did they take down the iron walls along the streets yet? ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Why on Earth would you put that video up there, Brook?
"This is how Americans live today."
"Drinking coffee made from snow."
You're an American, right? You live that way?
Make your coffee from the fresh snow you get
up there? North Korea propaganda is a source
you use?
Btw, pigeon is pretty tasty. Don't know about sparrows.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:58 pm
They snagged some clips of SF for Xi arrived? BTW....where are all those homeless now...Newsome kill them off. Did they take down the iron walls along the streets yet? ;)

If they were smart, they would defect to the North Korean "Paradise". :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:33 pm Why on Earth would you put that video up there, Brook?
"This is how Americans live today."
"Drinking coffee made from snow."
You're an American, right? You live that way?
Make your coffee from the fresh snow you get
up there? North Korea propaganda is a source
you use?
Btw, pigeon is pretty tasty. Don't know about sparrows.
Sparrows seem like they would have a lot of gristle relative to meat….might be comparable to a crab?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:33 pm Why on Earth would you put that video up there, Brook?
North Korea propaganda is a source
you use?

Where else can the rest of the world learn about the unimpeachable "truths" disclosed in that illuminating video?

DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:53 pm
you use?

Where else can the rest of the world learn about the unimpeachable "truths" disclosed in that illuminating video?
You can find it here.
https://endhomelessness.org/homelessnes ... elessness/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:53 pm
you use?

You can find it here.
https://endhomelessness.org/homelessnes ... elessness/

I didn't see any information about pigeon feasting or charitable North Korea coffee imports but, at least, it's a start. ;)

DMac

Post by DMac »

Look around you, Brook, by and large we live a pretty cushy and comfy life in this country.
SNAP, HEAP, Section 8, a little down, you'll get help.
Some people do nothing to help themselves and live on the street.
That clip is just garbage.

Return to “POLITICS”