Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Minneapolis

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:00 pm
I believe the mascot name will have very little bearing on the day to day life of most native Americans. My point has always been that negative stereotypes in the mass media aren’t helpful. You are free to disagree...also did I ever say that your experience with what natives that you know have expressed isn’t true?
My final words on this Redskins thing, will not go over it again.
"will have little bearing on the day to day life of Native Americans."
You really think so? How 'bout it never did and never would have (that is unless others had to jump in and tell them it would....people like you).

No, you never said my experience with the natives that I know isn't true.
What you did say, in so many words though, is that they're just not smart enough to understand how and why this "negative stereotype", even though they don't see it that way, is just wrong. Again, so very few are able to think as deeply as you and see as clearly as you do.
You have a nice Sunday too.
Oh, and you never answered my hypocrite question.
You are free to believe what you want. Negative stereotypes aren’t helpful. You are free to disagree. I am headed to Trader Joe’s. Enjoy your Sunday...
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A great example of systemic racism in 21st century America.

One of the best most forward thinking public school districts in the country, with the best of intentions, fails to be all it hoped or should be, because of systemic racism.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm A great example of systemic racism in 21st century America.

One of the best most forward thinking public school districts in the country, with the best of intentions, fails to be all it hoped or should be, because of systemic racism.
Absolutely. Advocacy is very important.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:40 pm A great example of systemic racism in 21st century America.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but that also does not tell the whole story. The demo in HC was nearly 4:1 in 2010 with blacks accounting for ~15% of the total population....that has changed to about 2.5:1. Blacks only grew by 5%, yet Asians, Hispanic and others have doubled.

In the article you posted, they go on to say...

The number of black middle-school students enrolled in gifted and talented courses in English, science and social studies has doubled.

In high school, more black students are taking AP courses — and more are passing the exams. In 2015, 65 percent of black AP students scored the passing grade of 3 or higher on the standardized exam given at the conclusion of the course. The statewide rate for black students was 34 percent.

Howard was the only district in Maryland last year to increase its participation rates and maintain the percentage of students earning a 3 or higher on the exams.

In closing, it certainly appears that there are no problems, it actually looks like the blacks are excelling and supporting above the state standards.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Not trying to pick a fight here, but that also does not tell the whole story. The demo in HC was nearly 4:1 in 2010 with blacks accounting for ~15% of the total population....that has changed to about 2.5:1. Blacks only grew by 5%, yet Asians, Hispanic and others have doubled.

The number of black middle-school students enrolled in gifted and talented courses in English, science and social studies has doubled.

In high school, more black students are taking AP courses — and more are passing the exams. In 2015, 65 percent of black AP students scored the passing grade of 3 or higher on the standardized exam given at the conclusion of the course. The statewide rate for black students was 34 percent.

Howard was the only district in Maryland last year to increase its participation rates and maintain the percentage of students earning a 3 or higher on the exams.

In closing, it certainly appears that there are no problems, it actually looks like the blacks are excelling and supporting above the state standards.
Excelling compared to who?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:52 pm

I never mentioned a comparison in my closing sentences.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:35 pm

What is your context of excelling? In a vacuum? There was a reference to “state standards”, so I thought that was your reference point. Please clarify your conclusion that those kids are excelling. What’s the rationale?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Much like the Redskins being called the Yellowskins with a logo of an Asian or the Blackskins and a picture of a black, something seems off about it. And, bottomline, this is an issue between the DC Team/NFL and the relevant Native Americans (or otherwise) who are offended. It's a business decision. Same for Trader Joe's, Aunt Jemima, etc. (This issue is much more difficult to discuss because it involves so many people, it will never make everyone happy, and it is next to impossible, except with relation to extreme examples, to know what the right thing to do is... because there are so many differing parties involved. In the end, the business does what's best for the business.)

There was a time when grade schoolers were told "sticks and stones", when high schoolers were told, "Dude, it's just a joke!", when employees were told "I thought you were more of a team player, more loyal to our company". And, thankfully, in general, that time is up. Both on FanLax as well as in real life, there are people that are bothered about "people being so sensitive" or, more often, "people being totally, unjustifiably bothered" and, with FanLax and in the real world, it's not up to the person saying the comment. It's up to the person who was hurt/bothered. It doesn't mean that the hurt/bothered person is always right. It does mean that the hurt/bothered person is heard and taken seriously. It's understood that there's going to be people who are bothered because the world has become "so sensitive" and... They'll be bothered. Empathy matters.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:44 pm

What is your context of excelling? In a vacuum? There was a reference to “state standards”, so I thought that was your reference point. Please clarify your conclusion that those kids are excelling. What’s the rationale?
It was a quote from the article; portion in red above.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

MantumPI wrote
Empathy matters.
Common sense and reality matter too.
Question: Would it make you cringe if an Asian joined in with a group of folks who were sitting around BSing and someone asked him/her where he/she was from?
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:52 pm

I don’t understand your point about what is in read. What was your basis for determining that those kids were excelling in the context of the article.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

And if that "common sense" and "reality" is hurtful to the other person, it's not OK.

I don't understand the question. I've been in innumerable situations where I meet someone with an accent and I'll ask where they're from? Where they were born? Usually as a segue into talking about their National Soccer team. Why?
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:58 pm
MantumPI wrote
Empathy matters.
Common sense and reality matter too.
Question: Would it make you cringe if an Asian joined in with a group of folks who were sitting around BSing and someone asked him/her where he/she was from?
No. If the question was “are your from China” might make me cringe. Doesn’t make the person “racist” just ignorant. I had an argument with a good friend of mine recently about the movie Parasite...I asked him if he saw it and he said the “Chinese movie”?...I said it’s not A Chinese movie...it Korean. He said yeah I saw it...it’s a Chinese movie. I told him again, no it’s Korean. He said “Chinese / Korean its all the same”. I said no it isn’t the same. He then said “they eat the same food so you are what you eat”....I told him the food is not the same...he then said I was just “being an jerk”.....I asked him why would he call the movie Chinese when I just told him it was Korean? He said that’s what he calls them....their eyes are slanted so they are all the same....this is 2020.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:14 pm

I don’t understand your point about what is in read. What was your basis for determining that those kids were excelling in the context of the article.
If you read the last third of the article JHU originally posted it paints the picture that minorities ARE NOW taking more AP classes and passing them.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:19 pm And if that "common sense" and "reality" is hurtful to the other person, it's not OK.

I don't understand the question. I've been in innumerable situations where I meet someone with an accent and I'll ask where they're from? Where they were born? Usually as a segue into talking about their National Soccer team. Why?
If it's not hurtful, but viewed by those easily cringed as hurtful, it's still not hurtful too. It's not because they can't think of it all as deeply you can, it's because they can rise above the chickenschidt and be real with one another. They get it.

Gee, we think alike. I'd do exactly the same, pretty much always do. Could care less about their soccer team but I'm interested in hearing a whole lot of other stuff about them/their country, etc. Not soccer though. Let me guess, I just don't get soccer, that's why I don't like it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 pmIf it's not hurtful, but viewed by those easily cringed as hurtful, it's still not hurtful too. It's not because they can't think of it all as deeply you can, it's because they can rise above the chickenschidt and be real with one another. They get it.
DMac, your talking to an Asian and someone uninvolved standing on the sidelines commenting their sensitivities is irrelevant. Your talking to an Asian and *that Asian* (or black or Jew or whatever) who is sensitive (i.e. "easily cringeful") being hurt is relevant and... hurtful. A punching B and then C says, That hurts! is not so interesting, not so relevant. A punching B and then *B* saying, That hurts! is the discussion. This discussion isn't about depth of thought. It's about depth of feelings, sensitivities. The sensitivities of people who are having stereotypes being tossed around about them. e.g. Blacks are good singers and dancers! Even if you believe that you're being "real".
Caddy Day
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

if it were true that offense is in the eye of the beholder (the victim), then using the term "karen" is racist.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:33 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:14 pm

If you read the last third of the article JHU originally posted it paints the picture that minorities ARE NOW taking more AP classes and passing them.
The article was about the school in Columbia and whether there are inequities there. Are you comparing the minorities in that school to minorities in an East Baltimore high school? Is that why the article was about?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 pm if it were true that offense is in the eye of the beholder (the victim), then using the term "karen" is racist.
How is that? I can see hurtful but how is it racist?
Caddy Day
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

someone suggested a definition the other day. to antagonize/prejudice someone based on their membership in a group.

white is a group. someone somewhere thinks anti-white = racist.

is it not?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “POLITICS”