Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Not Suitable

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by Not Suitable »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:20 pm News is official: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ohen/63643

Chayse Ierlan joining as DOLO
Brian Kelly promoted to OC
Jon Cohen promoted to 3rd assistant

What this almost certainly means is that PM is going to run the offense.
What is the difference between a DOLO and a Coach?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

From Cohen's bio page when he was the DOLO

"Among Cohen’s primary responsibilities are coordinating all team travel, managing the team’s extensive video operation, arranging all recruiting visits and serving as a liaison between the program and all internal and external constituents. He also works closely with the Department of Athletics administration on budget operations and other day-to-day activities associated with the program."

In other words a DOLO is there to do all the stuff that has to be done but the coaches probably don't want to do.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:25 pm
JerrysWorld wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:24 pm Is Hop just bumping everyone up and keeping the hire in house? And Milliman would be more hands on with the offense?
I've heard from a few people now that this is a strong possibility
Credit to HF16 and JerrysWorld for predicting this.

PM's next extension now becomes completely about how he personally handles the offense. We know Jameson can do the job with the defense.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

Does Jamieson have a family? What HS did he go to? Could it be he is rooted in the MD area and has no desire or ability to go anywhere else?
Also there are plenty of great asst coaches who cant deal with the politics and administration as the head coach does...See Petro departure for those problems
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I’m not surprised by the coaching announcements but I’m also not energized by them. (Adding Ierlan is great that’s not a knock on him who by all accounts was a a tremendously bright and dedicated young man)

This is now PM as OC (again). He was also OC when he took over from John Grant early to mid season of Jrs. departure season and I’m not sure the results warranted PM assigning himself the duties again. However there is something to be said for stability.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I'm a little disappointed tbh. Would have preferred bringing in external party that would have stayed longer. This offense needs to level up from where it was. Perhaps BK will improve things, however as he was more focused on the Goalies previously.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

laxfanatic wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:02 pm Does Jamieson have a family? What HS did he go to? Could it be he is rooted in the MD area and has no desire or ability to go anywhere else?
Also there are plenty of great asst coaches who cant deal with the politics and administration as the head coach does...See Petro departure for those problems
He grew up in Cazenovia NY. Central New York.

Wives can also anchor a coach’s place to live.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:21 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:17 pm John Haus was HC previously. I don’t think hecwill retirn but i suppose there is a chance i suppose
I was referring to his son (also named John), who is the OC at Penn State.

In any case I don't think he's a very realistic option, which is why I put him last.
Thx
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:39 pm This is now PM as OC (again). He was also OC when he took over from John Grant early to mid season of Jrs. departure season and I’m not sure the results warranted PM assigning himself the duties again. However there is something to be said for stability.
I think this is a tiny bit unfair. The basic fact of the matter was the 2022 team was not a very good team - up and down the field - Take your pick of who you think the offensive geniuses have been in college lacrosse - not getting much from that team with 2 of your Top 5 players incredibly injury compromised and 3 of your Top 5 players barely hitting water from a boat 17%/20% 25% - yet they took 260 of your shots. The 22 team faced off at 49% - had 267 turnovers (17 a game) - cleared at an abysmal 83% - got out ground balled by 50 over the season and the overall goalie save % was 46%. Not a ton of mid-field aggressive dodging on that team - actually possibly surprising they averaged 11 goals per game - razor's edge close to what they averaged this year. And if what is reported is true that there was conflict between the OC and the HC and possibly some internal strife within the team - then that contributes to the issues of the HC trying to recover a season as a coordinator.

This is hopefully a completely different situation and everyone seems to be ignoring Brian Kelly as nary a post goes by without the thought this is PM's offense and there will be no one to blame but him. I thought he was the great delegator.

To be clear - these changes do - after the sizzle of Junior and the charisma of the young Crawley - have a tinge of vanilla about them. I will say if reports are accurate - Kelly developed great rapport with admittedly a much smaller group of players and that was thought to be possibly Crawley's #1 strength - Have to wait and see. 10 of the 2025 recruits verballed in September of last year so September will be a closely watched month on how this arrangement did with recruiting.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

PM is a delegator but he decides what to delegate. There was friction between he and Grant. Obvious, to me, that means he was involved in the O.

Guess it is time to expand my horizons.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:05 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:39 pm This is now PM as OC (again). He was also OC when he took over from John Grant early to mid season of Jrs. departure season and I’m not sure the results warranted PM assigning himself the duties again. However there is something to be said for stability.
I think this is a tiny bit unfair. The basic fact of the matter was the 2022 team was not a very good team - up and down the field - Take your pick of who you think the offensive geniuses have been in college lacrosse - not getting much from that team with 2 of your Top 5 players incredibly injury compromised and 3 of your Top 5 players barely hitting water from a boat 17%/20% 25% - yet they took 260 of your shots. The 22 team faced off at 49% - had 267 turnovers (17 a game) - cleared at an abysmal 83% - got out ground balled by 50 over the season and the overall goalie save % was 46%. Not a ton of mid-field aggressive dodging on that team - actually possibly surprising they averaged 11 goals per game - razor's edge close to what they averaged this year. And if what is reported is true that there was conflict between the OC and the HC and possibly some internal strife within the team - then that contributes to the issues of the HC trying to recover a season as a coordinator.

This is hopefully a completely different situation and everyone seems to be ignoring Brian Kelly as nary a post goes by without the thought this is PM's offense and there will be no one to blame but him. I thought he was the great delegator.

To be clear - these changes do - after the sizzle of Junior and the charisma of the young Crawley - have a tinge of vanilla about them. I will say if reports are accurate - Kelly developed great rapport with admittedly a much smaller group of players and that was thought to be possibly Crawley's #1 strength - Have to wait and see. 10 of the 2025 recruits verballed in September of last year so September will be a closely watched month on how this arrangement did with recruiting.
This is exactly why it's great PM has a pod now so that he can explain the thinking behind all this stuff so that misinformation doesn't linger on forums like these for years.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Brian Kelly has been, by all reports, an effective coach.

JK has the defense humming as one of the best in the nation.

Not sure how much PM is going to delegate on offense, but I agree that PM is not likely to have his career depend on someone else’s offense.

PM looks to be all in to win NOW. I think (hope) he understands that quarterfinal finishes, while nice, don’t cut it at Hopkins.

We are entering the fifth year of the Milliman era. Two losing seasons and two quarterfinal losses don’t project to a long career as the Hopkins HC. As I have said, I am skeptical PM is the man to lead Johns Hopkins back to a national championship. Hope he proves me wrong. These latest coaching moves suggest to me that PM is going to sink or swim with his own offense installed.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:39 pm PM is a delegator but he decides what to delegate. There was friction between he and Grant. Obvious, to me, that means he was involved in the O.

Guess it is time to expand my horizons.
I'm not sure what this means. I never argued that PM wasn't involved in the offense in 2022 - what I am saying is that you could have brought in Roy Simmons Jr./Buddy Beardmore/Richie Moran and they wouldn't have fixed a team with meh talent to begin with and then the existing injuries to Epstein and Keough - likely an injury to DeSimone (as he fell off a cliff from '21) and Grimes broke his wrist. Maybe this year's offense will execute poorly and then it can be written - all I am saying is I don't think 2022 is a great data point.

My other point is that Hopkins apparently has an offensive coordinator. Older than Crawley but also was an HM AA at Hopkins - was a head coach at Goucher - debate whether it's easy or hard to get players at a school that was all girls and private but he was successful there so I don't think he's a statue in this situation. In addition, I sincerely doubt when Crawley showed up in 2023 - with 2.5 years of coordinator experience - Pete just handed over the keys and said call me if you need me.

The final point is once again - talent. Jimmy's and Joe's vs X's and O's. Whomever runs the offense is going to need some good fortune. They have to fix whatever was wrong with Melendez and they need English to remain upright and on the field for an entire year. They then need Ayers - or possibly Bauer - to be an effective player from X. They also need the ball more. They pushed all their chips on the table for 2024 and so 20/21 players did not see the field. They have some development to get done.

As I believe fla... has said - Milliman has to "wear" the coat of hiring Grant Jr. and the fact it didn't turn out. As it has been pointed out ad nauseum in the last 2 pages of this thread - he will also have to wear this decision.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:59 am PM is not likely to have his career depend on someone else’s offense.

PM looks to be all in to win NOW. I think (hope) he understands that quarterfinal finishes, while nice, don’t cut it at Hopkins.

We are entering the fifth year of the Milliman era. Two losing seasons and two quarterfinal losses don’t project to a long career as the Hopkins HC. As I have said, I am skeptical PM is the man to lead Johns Hopkins back to a national championship. Hope he proves me wrong. These latest coaching moves suggest to me that PM is going to sink or swim with his own offense installed.
Well - a multi year extension to his contract starts now - so I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.
https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/9/8 ... 4%20season.
You want the yardstick that probably means the most now to Johns Hopkins administration? Open the lacrosse page on jhusports and you'll see 38 names in a big font that made the All BIG academic team. That's probably a better perspectiive.

I have no idea why you think Milliman is all in to win NOW as you put it. Because he got two really nice portal pick-ups and a total of 4? He's tried to supplement through the portal every year he's been here. He wants to win any year. Starting in 2009 - the latter half of Dave's record is not great by any measure - even the 2015 team had to win the BIG Tournament or by all accounts they would have missed the NCAA's entirely (and Ohio State upsetting Maryland in the BIG semis may have helped as you would have had to beat Maryland twice on their home field). The landscape has changed and the goal posts have moved. I think what is most frightening is the discussions over on other threads about how much money Notre Dame is gearing up in NIL.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This was probably the right move for team and staff cohesion. It's not as exciting as bringing in a buzzy name from the outside but like any workplace it's important that they set a precedent that it's possible to get promoted from within. PM and Kelly will add new wrinkles to the offense but it'll be an easier transition than someone else teaching an entirely new system. And it may not have gone over well if they hired someone new with Kelly sitting right there. Let's be honest, some of the names I had floated earlier weren't exactly setting the world on fire at their respective schools. Some intriguing talent to be sure and guy who'd bring more excitement but no one that you'd shed a tear over not getting.

I also don't think Chayse is a trivial hire. Yes DOLO is primarily a behind-the-scenes administrative role but having Chayse's voice at practice and on the sideline during games will matter. I remember at the Hofstra scrimmage last fall, he had only been a Blue Jay for a month or two but was the loudest guy on the sideline pumping everyone up, particularly the younger guys who were seeing their first D1 action of any kind. In that respect I think he will replace some of what Crawley did as a young, energetic guy who knows what it's like to play in this program (very recently) and can relate to the players. I expect they will also utilize him on the recruiting trail.

Agree with 51 though, at the end of the day the offense will go the way of the personnel. There's reason to believe there can be improvement if health allows. Also, it's not like we're talking about some massive leap they need to make to be Final Four quality — they lost in double overtime in the quarterfinals with the deciding goal a rather controversial one. It's all right there for the taking especially with so many other teams losing tons of talent.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

Interesting that, by hiring Ierlan to fill the DOLO (non-coaching/non-off-campus recruiting) spot and promoting Cohen to the third assistant, Milliman clearly prefers Cohen's coaching acumen over Ierlan's even though both lack college coaching experience. Cohen is obviously more of a known quantity in terms of administration, if not coaching. Would have thought Ierlan would be a logical choice to coach the goalies, but I assume that responsibility will remain with Kelly.
molo

Post by molo »

“Cigar store Indian?” What the heck?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

A figurehead; of decorative use only.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

You’re not implying….I’m shocked to find out there is gambling going on here.
molo

Post by molo »

Mod cleaned up my language. I know what the racist slur means. I’m a little disappointed to see a blatantly racist expression tolerated when the letter “f” gets censored.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”