Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:23 pm
coda wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:19 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:12 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:10 am Binghamton's Matthew Keegan to Maryland https://x.com/MChandik26/status/1799096144964055061

Tills goin ham in the portal this year
Wow. Big pick up. This guy can shoot it.
HE can ride. 9 CTs from the attack spot. Tied for the team lead.
You think he'll play attack?
No idea. Maryland's offense was a bit sketchy last year. It needs some changes. They were fiddling around with Erksa and Spanos late in the year. Strange to say since they made the final, but felt like Maryland never felt comfortable with their line up on offense all year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Do we think Balsamo plays midfield or attack at UVA?
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:10 am Binghamton's Matthew Keegan to Maryland https://x.com/MChandik26/status/1799096144964055061

He’s not really a distributor or he wasn’t in HS. Very under recruited in HS, he looked elite at times. Very pesky in the ride. Hes Kavanaugh (ish).
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

DoubleD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:28 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:35 am
But if I'm running a MAAC or A10-type program, I'd be looking to see if I can get the best D2 and D3 transfers to build up the overall quality of the program.
I think you're correct in theory but in practice the best D2 and D3 players (Charlie Bertrand, Ronan Jacoby, Will Helm, Jack Boyden, Mason Kohn as examples) are transferring to top D1 programs not to the MAAC or A10. Nevertheless it would be a sound roster improvement strategy for mid-major programs to focus on landing top 40 quality D2 and D3 transfers.
You named 5 guys who went to top programs. Most don't go to top schools and some that do they can't handle the jump. Also MAAC and A10 is a big difference in talent too. A10 is a higher level of lacrosse then the MAAC. Top D2 and D3 kids can play in the MAAC but most can't be top players in all other D1 conferences. A select few can but most can't it's a huge difference in talent. Charlie Betrand is a PLL player and not ur normal top D2 player.
That's exactly my point. Wheels wrote "But if I'm running a MAAC or A10-type program, I'd be looking to see if I can get the best D2 and D3 transfers to build up the overall quality of the program." The data shows that the best D2 ad D3 transfers go to the top D1 programs not to the MAAC or A10.
Finish Strong
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

coda wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:32 pm

No idea. Maryland's offense was a bit sketchy last year. It needs some changes. They were fiddling around with Erksa and Spanos late in the year. Strange to say since they made the final, but felt like Maryland never felt comfortable with their line up on offense all year.
Yeah, the parts never seemed to fit but did fit better once they flipped Malever and Erksa to midfield and Spanos to attack. Kelly returns at attack with Spanos. I'd think they'd keep Erksa at midfield but he did flip back and forth even after the move. Ford, Armitage, and Keegan are all lefties (as are Kelly, Stobaugh, and I believe Whittier). I can't say I've ever seen 6 lefties on the field together at the same time. But hey, why not?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:54 pm

Yeah, the parts never seemed to fit but did fit better once they flipped Malever and Erksa to midfield and Spanos to attack. Kelly returns at attack with Spanos. I'd think they'd keep Erksa at midfield but he did flip back and forth even after the move. Ford, Armitage, and Keegan are all lefties (as are Kelly, Stobaugh, and I believe Whittier). I can't say I've ever seen 6 lefties on the field together at the same time. But hey, why not?
How is Kelly back?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:52 pm
DoubleD wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:28 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:35 am
But if I'm running a MAAC or A10-type program, I'd be looking to see if I can get the best D2 and D3 transfers to build up the overall quality of the program.
I think you're correct in theory but in practice the best D2 and D3 players (Charlie Bertrand, Ronan Jacoby, Will Helm, Jack Boyden, Mason Kohn as examples) are transferring to top D1 programs not to the MAAC or A10. Nevertheless it would be a sound roster improvement strategy for mid-major programs to focus on landing top 40 quality D2 and D3 transfers.
You named 5 guys who went to top programs. Most don't go to top schools and some that do they can't handle the jump. Also MAAC and A10 is a big difference in talent too. A10 is a higher level of lacrosse then the MAAC. Top D2 and D3 kids can play in the MAAC but most can't be top players in all other D1 conferences. A select few can but most can't it's a huge difference in talent. Charlie Betrand is a PLL player and not ur normal top D2 player.
That's exactly my point. Wheels wrote "But if I'm running a MAAC or A10-type program, I'd be looking to see if I can get the best D2 and D3 transfers to build up the overall quality of the program." The data shows that the best D2 ad D3 transfers go to the top D1 programs not to the MAAC or A10.
The A-10 isn't there yet, but they could definitely infringe upon future ACC and B1G transfers - I wouldn't just hone in on D2 and D3 - and remember also, the Hens move to the A-10 the following year.
I think potential transfers will consider this.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Will Stahl (Soph. from Holy Cross) to Dartmouth per Xanders Twitter.

Any other Dartmouth transfers in recent memory?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:00 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:54 pm

How is Kelly back?
In the post game press conference he implied he was coming back. Not confirmed
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Updated with a few more from IL and Xanders

Incoming transfers to
Boston U: Sam Burns (M, Ohio State)
Canisius: Jeff Douglas (D, Ursinus)
Dartmouth: Will Stahl (M, Holy Cross)
Delaware: Cory Capri (A, Yale), Jack Kolbe (A, Merrimack)
Duke: Aiden Blake (M, Cornell), Graham Blake (A, Harvard), Paul Weathington (SSDM, Princeton), Eric Malever (A, Maryland)
Georgetown: Fulton Bayman (A, Notre Dame)
High Point: Jeb Brenfleck (A, Penn State)
Hofstra: Jon Singer (G, Ursinus)
Jacksonville: Drew Kessenich (M, Detroit Mercy), Dom Zingo (D, Lynchburg)
Johns Hopkins: Jack Monfort (SSDM, Yale), John McKee (FO, Dickinson), Patrick Hackler (M, Yale), Luke Staudt (G, Loyola)
Maryland: Noah Armitage (M, Stony Brook), Bryce Ford (A, Fairfield), AJ Hernandez (D, Navy), Zack Goorno (SSDM, Bowdoin), Matthew Keegan (A, Binghamton), Luca Ward (A, Holy Cross)
Michigan: Pace Billings (LSM, Princeton), Lukas Stanat (M, Princeton), Will Byrne (A, Bowdoin), DJ Dixon (M, Wesleyan)
Mount St. Mary's: Nathan Committee (D, Bellarmine)
NJIT: Russ Maher (M, Johns Hopkins), Dylan Sebastian (A, Hofstra)
North Carolina: Michael Gianforcaro (G, Princeton), Spencer Wirtheim (M, Cornell), Nick Dupuis (A, Stony Brook), Andrew O'Berry (SSDM, Harvard), Drew Scott (M, TCU football)
Notre Dame: Greg Campisi (LSM, Harvard)
Ohio State: Ryan Donnery (M, Quinnipiac)
Penn State: Jack Aimone (M, Rutgers)
Providence: Dan Donahue (G, Union)
Richmond: Ethan Gyllenhaal (SSDM, Bucknell), Brooks Rhine (D, Hobart)
Rutgers: Joseph Juengerkes (SSDM, Princeton), Ethan Barnard (FO, Bowdoin), Kasey Mongillo (M, Merrimack)
Saint Joseph's: Keaton Zavitz (M, Ohio State)
Sacred Heart: Matt Pepe (A, Bryant)
Stony Brook: Colin Reilly (M, North Carolina)
Syracuse: Mike Grace (D, RIT)
UMass: Gavin Begonia (A, Ohio State)
Villanova: Tyler Sandoval (FO, Princeton)
Virginia: Johnny Hackett (M, Bryant), Charles Balsamo (A/M, Duke)

*Notable* players in portal:
Attack
Luke Grayum, Richmond
Dutch Furlong, Bucknell
Chris Patterson, Hobart
Mason Bregman, UMass
Blake Behlen, Stony Brook
Matt Caputo, Ohio State
Greyson Vorgang, Denver
Koleton Marquis, Johns Hopkins

Midfield
Trace Hogan, Merrimack
Brian Russell, Merrimack
Tommy Barnds, Princeton
Chris Cusolito, Providence
Shane O'Leary, UMass
Vinnie Trujillo, Syracuse
Nick Rizzo, High Point
Jack Dowd, Salisbury
Luke Nestor, Salisbury
Trevor Douglas, Quinnipiac
Jack Dougherty, Stony Brook
Parker Yearego, Cleveland State

Defense
Colin Hart, Brown
Mitch Dunham, Mount St. Mary's
Aiden Bodonyi, Ohio State
Owen Quinn, UMass

Goalie
Jamison MacLachlan, Stony Brook
Connor Theriault, Brown
Jack VanValkenburgh, Albany
Dylan Renner, Adelphi
Matthew Torrey, Air Force

FO
Nick Ramsey, Yale
Caleb Hammett, UMass
Rocco Mareno, Towson
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

How is Kelly back?
Only played in 4 games his freshman year. I don't know how any of the redshirt rules work anymore, but I know he's coming back.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:21 pm

How is Kelly back?
Only played in 4 games his freshman year. I don't know how any of the redshirt rules work anymore, but I know he's coming back.
Different rules for different Conferences. Patriot and Ivy only allow red shirt due to injury and they can’t play more than four games their injury year and those games must be in first half of season. Rest of D1 allows redshirt for anyone who doesn’t play more than 4 games in a year whether or not they were injured
Troy822

Post by Troy822 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm Malever to...

...Duke

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/1799111608729518351
Do y’all think Malever is better than Balsamo?? I can’t tell if this is an upgrade for Duke, a downgrade, or a wash.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Troy822 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:57 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm Malever to...

...Duke

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/1799111608729518351
Do y’all think Malever is better than Balsamo?? I can’t tell if this is an upgrade for Duke, a downgrade, or a wash.
They're very different players. The Balsamo from his freshman year looked like he was on his way to becoming a very valuable chess piece, but he took a step back this year. He's probably still a bit more valuable IMO given he has multiple years of eligibility left and Malever has just one. And Malever did not look the same post-injury, so if either guy is going to "turn it around," my bet would be on Balsamo who is going to get some favorable matchups in that UVA offense.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:35 pm Will Stahl (Soph. from Holy Cross) to Dartmouth per Xanders Twitter.

Any other Dartmouth transfers in recent memory?
Colin Kuester transferred in last fall after spending his first two years at Skidmore. Colin Niehaus transferred in in '21 after spending his freshman year at Amherst in the '19 - '20 school year.
Finish Strong
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Formerhound wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:33 pm

How is Kelly back?
Different rules for different Conferences. Patriot and Ivy only allow red shirt due to injury and they can’t play more than four games their injury year and those games must be in first half of season. Rest of D1 allows redshirt for anyone who doesn’t play more than 4 games in a year whether or not they were injured
formerhound,
the term redshirt has become confusing because it represents 2 different things, and we should have 2 different names for them.

non-medical redshirt
- this is part of the 5 years to play 4 rule, where you can sit out ALL contests in the season of your sport and that's the off year 5 where you still keep eligibility for the other 4.
- if you step on the field against an nc$$ squad (maybe from same division?) during a scrimmage or a game in the season of your sport, this is no longer an option for you.
- football is the only sport i'm aware of that has a different rule. you're allowed one year where you play a max of 4 games.

medical redshirt (actually hardship)
- injury (or hardship) must end your season
- can't have participated in >30% of contest dates but including the game that puts you over.
- countable contest dates are scrimmages, games and 1 conference tournament game
- you have to have suffered the injury originally in the front half of the season.

in kelly's case, it would be a medical redshirt that he has documentation for to meet those requirements.

i don't know what the patriot and ivy layer on top of that.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Formerhound wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:33 pm

How is Kelly back?
Patriot and Ivy may have different RS rules (only allowing medical redshirts) but your confusing the football redshirt rule with the rest of the lacrosse world.

A conference can't mandate how many games a player can play to qualify for a RS, that regulation comes form the NCAA. A player can either red-shirt by not playing in any games during the regular season or if they play in 30% or less of a teams games and suffer a season ending injury within the initial 30% of the season they can petition the NCAA for a medical red-shirt. If a player plays 1 second of any game and isn't injured as I outlined above there's no red-shirt. The NCAA is very particular about this and has denied multiple prior med redshirt requests when a player has exceeded any of the guidelines (Ryan Conrad being a example).

Post by 1766 »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:08 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:46 pm
Much gets made of Rutgers’ strategy but they did go to the FF. Additionally, if you followed them this year or last, Most of the players making plays were home grown HS recruited talent.

The biggest issue with younger players in the program this year wasn’t transfers. It was injuries.
I did follow Rutgers this year. They weren't good. They don't have enough home grown players to make an impact. I know it's a chicken or egg situation up there. They're not getting high impact NJ HS players to stay in state, and they do continue to bring in a lot of transfers. You can point to injuries, but every program sustains injuries. Depth is an issue for RU for sure.
7-7 with wins over two tournament teams. That’s mediocre for the program now.

We will see how it plays out but the staff is happy with the young talent they have in the program. They aren’t hitting the portal nearly as hard to date as a number of other programs this year because of it. That said you can never have enough. Every program has injuries but I can’t think of one that had the number Rutgers did last year. It wasn’t just to the known guys like Rizzotti and Kelly who were starting. It was the younger guys as well who we hadn’t seen outside of practice who were going to be getting game reps. And those were recruited HS players. That’s all in the wash now. Everyone is recruiting the portal. The portal is simply part of recruiting now.

First blush is 25 will have some highs and lows and 26 will be a run. The defense in 25 will be better to give the offense a chance to grow throughout the season.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

1766 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:11 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:08 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:46 pm
Much gets made of Rutgers’ strategy but they did go to the FF. Additionally, if you followed them this year or last, Most of the players making plays were home grown HS recruited talent.

The biggest issue with younger players in the program this year wasn’t transfers. It was injuries.
I did follow Rutgers this year. They weren't good. They don't have enough home grown players to make an impact. I know it's a chicken or egg situation up there. They're not getting high impact NJ HS players to stay in state, and they do continue to bring in a lot of transfers. You can point to injuries, but every program sustains injuries. Depth is an issue for RU for sure.
7-7 with wins over two tournament teams. That’s mediocre for the program now.

We will see how it plays out but the staff is happy with the young talent they have in the program. They aren’t hitting the portal nearly as hard to date as a number of other programs this year because of it. That said you can never have enough. Every program has injuries but I can’t think of one that had the number Rutgers did last year. It wasn’t just to the known guys like Rizzotti and Kelly who were starting. It was the younger guys as well who we hadn’t seen outside of practice who were going to be getting game reps. And those were recruited HS players. That’s all in the wash now. Everyone is recruiting the portal. The portal is simply part of recruiting now.

First blush is 25 will have some highs and lows and 26 will be a run. The defense in 25 will be better to give the offense a chance to grow throughout the season.
More injuries across the board than usual this year. Rutgers had more than most, but not as many as Yale
Troy822

Post by Troy822 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:22 pm Updated with a few more from IL and Xanders

Incoming transfers to
Boston U: Sam Burns (M, Ohio State)
Canisius: Jeff Douglas (D, Ursinus)
Dartmouth: Will Stahl (M, Holy Cross)
Delaware: Cory Capri (A, Yale)
Duke: Aiden Blake (M, Cornell), Graham Blake (A, Harvard), Paul Weathington (SSDM, Princeton), Eric Malever (A, Maryland)
Georgetown: Fulton Bayman (A, Notre Dame)
High Point: Jeb Brenfleck (A, Penn State)
Hofstra: Jon Singer (G, Ursinus)
Jacksonville: Drew Kessenich (M, Detroit Mercy), Dom Zingo (D, Lynchburg)
Johns Hopkins: Jack Monfort (SSDM, Yale), John McKee (FO, Dickinson), Patrick Hackler (M, Yale), Luke Staudt (G, Loyola)
Maryland: Noah Armitage (M, Stony Brook), Bryce Ford (A, Fairfield), AJ Hernandez (D, Navy), Zack Goorno (SSDM, Bowdoin), Matthew Keegan (A, Binghamton)
Michigan: Pace Billings (LSM, Princeton), Lukas Stanat (M, Princeton), Will Byrne (A, Bowdoin), DJ Dixon (M, Wesleyan)
Mount St. Mary's: Nathan Committee (D, Bellarmine)
NJIT: Russ Maher (M, Johns Hopkins), Dylan Sebastian (A, Hofstra)
North Carolina: Michael Gianforcaro (G, Princeton), Spencer Wirtheim (M, Cornell), Nick Dupuis (A, Stony Brook), Andrew O'Berry (SSDM, Harvard), Drew Scott (M, TCU football)
Notre Dame: Greg Campisi (LSM, Harvard)
Ohio State: Ryan Donnery (M, Quinnipiac)
Penn State: Jack Aimone (M, Rutgers)
Providence: Dan Donahue (G, Union)
Richmond: Ethan Gyllenhaal (SSDM, Bucknell), Brooks Rhine (D, Hobart)
Rutgers: Joseph Juengerkes (SSDM, Princeton), Ethan Barnard (FO, Bowdoin), Kasey Mongillo (M, Merrimack)
Saint Joseph's: Keaton Zavitz (M, Ohio State)
Sacred Heart: Matt Pepe (A, Bryant)
Stony Brook: Colin Reilly (M, North Carolina)
Syracuse: Mike Grace (D, RIT)
UMass: Gavin Begonia (A, Ohio State)
Villanova: Tyler Sandoval (FO, Princeton)
Virginia: Johnny Hackett (M, Bryant), Charles Balsamo (A/M, Duke)

*Notable* players in portal:
Attack
Luke Grayum, Richmond
Dutch Furlong, Bucknell
Chris Patterson, Hobart
Mason Bregman, UMass
Blake Behlen, Stony Brook
Matt Caputo, Ohio State
Greyson Vorgang, Denver
Koleton Marquis, Johns Hopkins

Midfield
Trace Hogan, Merrimack
Brian Russell, Merrimack
Tommy Barnds, Princeton
Chris Cusolito, Providence
Shane O'Leary, UMass
Vinnie Trujillo, Syracuse
Nick Rizzo, High Point
Jack Dowd, Salisbury
Luke Nestor, Salisbury
Trevor Douglas, Quinnipiac
Jack Dougherty, Stony Brook
Parker Yearego, Cleveland State

Defense
Colin Hart, Brown
Mitch Dunham, Mount St. Mary's
Aiden Bodonyi, Ohio State
Owen Quinn, UMass

Goalie
Jamison MacLachlan, Stony Brook
Connor Theriault, Brown
Jack VanValkenburgh, Albany
Dylan Renner, Adelphi
Matthew Torrey, Air Force

FO
Nick Ramsey, Yale
Caleb Hammett, UMass
Rocco Mareno, Towson
Is CJ Kirst in the portal? I’m still confused on eligibility with respect to the COVID year, especially in the Ivy League.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”